Release notesBeta 3.1 Beta 3 Beta 2 Beta 1
Android 13 QPR1 Beta 3.1 (November 2022)
|Release date||November 7, 2022|
|Security patch level||November 2022|
|Google Play services||22.36.16|
This minor update to Android 13 QPR1 Beta 3 includes the following fixes:
- Fixed a platform issue that caused apps to crash when they were using a MediaSession to handle input from hardware media playback buttons. (Issue #251798994, Issue #252665746, Issue #251381423, Issue #251513135, Issue #255500998)
- Fixed issues where a device's GPU drivers sometimes caused the system UI to freeze during normal device use.
- Fixed an issue where Pixel phones sometimes displayed an incorrect "Missed call" notification instead of "Call answered on another device" when the call was answered remotely by Pixel Watch (in untethered mode).
- Fixed an issue that sometimes caused the Google Camera app to crash.
- Fixed an issue that prevented Google Assistant from being activated by hotword on some devices.
- Fixed an issue that prevented motion-based gestures, such as "Lift to check phone" or "Flip to Shhh", from working on some devices.
- Fixed an issue that sometimes caused artifacts to display when recording or viewing video on some devices.
- Fixed an issue that sometimes caused the Google Camera app to launch slowly.
- Fixed an issue for Pixel 6a devices that sometimes caused the CarrierSettings to crash when inserting a SIM card.
- Fixed that issue that prevented the "Go to browser" option in the notification shade from working while using an instant app.
About Android 13 QPR1
Following the stable release of Android 13 to AOSP, we continue to update the platform with fixes and improvements that are then rolled out to supported devices. These releases happen on a quarterly cadence through Quarterly Platform Releases
(QPRs), which are delivered both to AOSP and to Google Pixel devices as part of Feature Drops
Although these updates don't include app-impacting API changes, we provide images of the latest QPR beta builds so you can test your app with these builds as needed.
Unlike developer previews and betas for unreleased versions of Android, these builds are suitable for general use. However, please review any known issues that are listed on this page.
Android 13 QPR1 builds on the updates in the Android 13 release
and includes the next round of refinements such as bug fixes and improvements to stability and performance.
How to get QPR1 Beta 3.1
You can install Android 13 QPR1 Beta 3.1 on any of the following Google Pixel devices:
- Pixel 4a and 4a (5G)
- Pixel 5 and 5a
- Pixel 6 and 6 Pro
- Pixel 6a
- Pixel 7 and 7 Pro
See Get Android 13 QPR beta builds
for details on how to get started.
Be aware of these general advisories about the release:
- This release might have various stability, battery, or performance issues.
- For users with accessibility needs, this release might not be appropriate for daily use.
- Some apps might not function as expected when running on this release. This limitation includes Google's apps as well as other apps.
- Android 13 QPR beta builds aren't Compatibility Test Suite (CTS)‑approved, but they have passed preliminary testing and provide a stable set of pre-release APIs for developers. Apps that depend on CTS-approved builds or use SafetyNet APIs might not work normally on Android 13 QPR beta builds.
Two primary support channels are available to you when developing and testing with Android 13 QPR1. The channel you should use to get support depends on where you are encountering your issue.
- Support for device-specific issues, system issues, and issues with Google apps: Use the Issue Tracker to create new issues and to view and track issues that you and other developers have submitted.
Before creating your own issue, check the known issues listed on this page and search the lists of top open issues and recently created issues to see if someone else has already reported it. You can subscribe and vote for an issue by clicking star this issue.
See Where to report issues to find an issue template that best matches the type of issue that you are encountering.
- Support for issues with other apps: Contact the app developer directly.
To discuss issues or ideas with other developers working with the Android 13 QPR Beta, join the android_beta community on Reddit
Top resolved issues
The following issues have been resolved in Android 13 QPR1 Beta 3:
Developer-reported and user-reported issues
- Fixed an issue for some devices where the screen unlock UI was displayed over notifications and other lock-screen content. (Issue #254163754)
Other resolved issues
- Fixed an issue that prevented the "Flip camera for selfie" gesture from working on some devices.
- Fixed an issue that sometimes caused the screen to go blank while attempting to unlock a device.
- Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented a device from being unlocked using either Face Unlock or Fingerprint Unlock when the device had been idle for multiple hours.
- Fixed an issue that sometimes caused fullscreen video playback to flicker after enabling always-on-display features and locking the screen.
Top open issues
See top open issues
for the latest list of top open issues that have been reported.
Other known issues
Based on our testing, you might encounter the following issues when using Android 13 QPR1. These issues are already known, so there’s no need to file additional reports for similar issues.
- (Fixed in Beta 3.1) In some cases, issues with a device's GPU drivers cause the system UI to freeze during normal device use. To work around this issue, try restarting the device.
- (Fixed in Beta 3.1) In some cases, Pixel phones display an incorrect "Missed call" notification instead of "Call answered on another device" when the call is answered remotely by Pixel Watch (in untethered mode).
Previous beta releases
Android 13 QPR1 Beta 1
Top resolved issues
The following issues have been resolved in Android 13 QPR1 Beta 1:
- Fixed an issue for some devices that mistakenly caused a user's emergency contact to be dialed from the lock screen when the device was in their pocket. (Issue #233159557)
Other resolved issues
- Fixed various issues for Pixel 6a devices that made it difficult for users to unlock their device or to set up Fingerprint Unlock.
- Fixed an issue that caused the system UI to crash in certain cases, such as gesturing from the edge of the screen to go back.
- Fixed an issue that sometimes caused the 5G icon to be displayed instead of the 5G UW icon, even when the affected device was already successfully connected to a 5G UW network.