General Android 13 QPR3 went final in June 2023-opt-out now to get the OTA without wiping - Pixel 6 Pro [Raven] - [thread also for future Android QPR Betas]

Search This thread

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member

ctankep

Aug 8, 2013

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
March 29, 2023:
Android 13 QPR3 Beta 2

Release notes​

bookmark
Beta 2Beta 1
Release dateMarch 29, 2023
BuildT3B2.230316.003
Security patch levelMarch 2023
Google Play services23.08.15

About Android 13 QPR3​

Following the stable release of Android 13 to AOSP, we continue to update the platform with fixes and improvements that are then rolled out to supported devices. These releases happen on a quarterly cadence through Quarterly Platform Releases (QPRs), which are delivered both to AOSP and to Google Pixel devices as part of Feature Drops.
Although these updates don't include app-impacting API changes, we provide images of the latest QPR beta builds so you can test your app with these builds as needed.
Unlike developer previews and betas for unreleased versions of Android, these builds are suitable for general use. However, please review any known issues that are listed on this page.
Android 13 QPR3 builds on the updates in Android 13 QPR2 and the initial Android 13 release and includes the next round of refinements such as bug fixes and improvements to stability and performance.

How to get QPR3 Beta 2​

You can install Android 13 QPR3 Beta 2 on any of the following Google Pixel devices:
  • Pixel 4a and 4a (5G)
  • Pixel 5 and 5a
  • Pixel 6 and 6 Pro
  • Pixel 6a
  • Pixel 7 and 7 Pro
See Get Android 13 QPR beta builds for details on how to get started.

General advisories​

Be aware of these general advisories about the release:
  • This release might have various stability, battery, or performance issues.
  • For users with accessibility needs, this release might not be appropriate for daily use.
  • Some apps might not function as expected when running on this release. This limitation includes Google's apps as well as other apps.
  • Android 13 QPR beta builds aren't Compatibility Test Suite (CTS)‑approved, but they have passed preliminary testing and provide a stable set of pre-release APIs for developers. Apps that depend on CTS-approved builds or use SafetyNet APIs might not work normally on Android 13 QPR beta builds.

Get support​

Two primary support channels are available to you when developing and testing with Android 13 QPR3. The channel you should use to get support depends on where you are encountering your issue.
  • Support for device-specific issues, system issues, and issues with Google apps: Use the Issue Tracker to create new issues and to view and track issues that you and other developers have submitted.
    Before creating your own issue, check the known issues listed on this page and search the lists of top open issues and recently created issues to see if someone else has already reported it. You can subscribe and vote for an issue by clicking star this issue.
    See Where to report issues to find an issue template that best matches the type of issue that you are encountering.
  • Support for issues with other apps: Contact the app developer directly.
To discuss issues or ideas with other developers working with the Android 13 QPR Beta, join the android_beta community on Reddit.

Feature updates​

• Improvements for Adaptive Charging that can automatically adjust to your charging needs using on-device signals.

Top resolved issues​

The following issues have been resolved in Android 13 QPR3 Beta 2:
  • Fixed an issue that caused the volume panel to flicker when adjusting the volume using the volume buttons.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the system UI to get stuck in a blurry state in some cases, such as unlocking the device or finishing a phone call.
  • Fixed an issue where the notification shade was closing immediately after a user opened it.
  • Fixed an issue where the always-on display was displayed over apps and other content after unlocking the device.
  • Fixed an issue where a device couldn't copy apps and data wirelessly during first-time setup.

Top open issues​

See top open issues for the latest list of top open issues that have been reported.

Other known issues​

Based on our testing, you might encounter the following issues when using Android 13 QPR3. These issues are already known, so there's no need to file additional reports for similar issues.

Android Platform​

• If the user tries to open the camera by pressing the power button twice, the camera displays a black screen instead.
  • In some cases when a work profile is switched on or off, the device reboots instead.
  • The list of Recent apps sometimes becomes unresponsive if the screen orientation is changed while the list is open.

Previous beta releases​

Android 13 QPR3 Beta 1​

Top resolved issues​

The following issues have been resolved in Android 13 QPR3 Beta 1:
  • Fixed an issue where the clock text on the lockscreen was the wrong color.
  • Fixed an issue where Bluetooth audio wasn't working on some devices.
  • Fixed an issue where the fingerprint icon that is normally displayed on screen to indicate the position of the fingerprint sensor erroneously changed to an exclamation point (!).
  • Fixed an issue where live wallpapers could not be selected or used.
  • Fixed an issue where widgets, app icon positions, and other configurable options on the home screen were reset after installing an OTA update.
  • Fixed an issue that caused a device to be unenrolled from Face Unlock after installing an OTA update.

Other known issues​

Based on our testing, you might encounter the following issues when using Android 13 QPR3 Beta 1. These issues are already known, so there's no need to file additional reports for similar issues.

Android Platform​

• If the user tries to open the camera by pressing the power button twice, the camera displays a black screen instead.
  • In some cases when a work profile is switched on or off, the device reboots instead.
  • The list of Recent apps sometimes becomes unresponsive if the screen orientation is changed while the list is open.

Pixel 6 Proraven-t3b2.230316.003-factory-f0292a27.zipf0292a27135f660dc20f091b044a8ec997a47758e0365ff7721edbec2cb3c82e

64-bit-only images​

Pixel 6 Proraven_64-t3b2.230316.003-factory-fbfbb3b5.zipfbfbb3b515a957dbc77a723b6e66fef17a694cc5fc8ad3506674ade60783f017

Pixel 6 Proraven-ota-t3b2.230316.003-2f73a8ea.zip2f73a8eaae652c70af4fc16ac5d414847b6041d68ff1a19cff0cd74ef6da956f

Reactions: Lughnasadh

acwcanada

Mar 19, 2016
Google Pixel 8
March 29, 2023:
Android 13 QPR3 Beta 2

Pixel 6 Proraven-t3b2.230316.003-factory-f0292a27.zipf0292a27135f660dc20f091b044a8ec997a47758e0365ff7721edbec2cb3c82e

64-bit-only images​

Pixel 6 Proraven_64-t3b2.230316.003-factory-fbfbb3b5.zipfbfbb3b515a957dbc77a723b6e66fef17a694cc5fc8ad3506674ade60783f017

Pixel 6 Proraven-ota-t3b2.230316.003-2f73a8ea.zip2f73a8eaae652c70af4fc16ac5d414847b6041d68ff1a19cff0cd74ef6da956f
Any idea if we still have to use the P7P boot.image to root?

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Any idea if we still have to use the P7P boot.image to root?
That is the million-dollar question. Well, okay, maybe $1 question. I don't have time to chance betas myself these days, but hopefully someone else will answer. If you or anyone find out for sure, please let us know.

@Lughnasadh's post quoted below is the best answer so far:
Looks like the problems with patching the boot image on the Pixel 6 series when on the QPR3 beta(s) (and other betas) and A14 DPs may have been fixed. Patching the Pixel 7 boot.img may no longer be needed when the next Canary is released.

Reactions: Lughnasadh

acwcanada

Mar 19, 2016
Google Pixel 8
That is the million-dollar question. Well, okay, maybe $1 question. I don't have time to chance betas myself these days, but hopefully someone else will answer. If you or anyone find out for sure, please let us know.

@Lughnasadh's post quoted below is the best answer so far:
The Magisk Canary 25210 has not been updated for quite sometime so it seems fix still not yet be included, we might still have to patch the P7 boot images to root the P6 series.

acwcanada

Mar 19, 2016
Google Pixel 8
Just update it with the patched P7P boot image, got root and everything seems run smoothly. The only thing which is a little bit strange is that it is still have the March 5 Security, I don't think beta 3 will be available in April or at least has to wait till end of April, so the beta 2 wouldn't have the April Security Update for most part of April.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Just update it with the patched P7P boot image, got root and everything seems run smoothly. The only thing which is a little bit strange is that it is still have the March 5 Security, I don't think beta 3 will be available in April or at least has to wait till end of April, so the beta 2 wouldn't have the April Security Update for most part of April.
The April security bulletin hasn't been released yet so it's normal for it to be on the March security update. If they continue to release QPR Beta builds (originally they said only through March, but now that seems to have changed with the new process of releasing the QPR Beta builds and I think they removed reference to "through March" in the F.A.Q. section), QPR3 Beta 3 should be released early to mid April with the April security patch.

EDIT: Seems as if the QPR Beta program will end when the first A14 Betas are released as originally scheduled. See my reply to myself below.

Last edited:

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
The April security bulletin hasn't been released yet so it's normal for it to be on the March security update. If they continue to release QPR Beta builds (originally they said only through March, but now that seems to have changed with the new process of releasing the QPR Beta builds and I think they removed reference to "through March" in the F.A.Q. section), QPR3 Beta 3 should be released early to mid April with the April security patch.
Although maybe the "through March" still holds as they have said this:

Android 13 QPR3 Beta will continue until Android 14 Beta kicks off. If you’re participating in QPR3 beta, you will automatically receive an over-the-air (OTA) update to Android 14 Beta 1 when it becomes available. No separate program opt-in is required. We’ll provide more information as we get closer to the Android 14 beta release.

Since the first A14 Beta is scheduled to be released in April, it does sound like the A13 QPR Beta program may end this month as they originally stated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Pixel 6 Pro [Raven] QPR Betas

QPR stands for "Quarterly Platform Release". Android 13 QPR3 went final in June 2023. See main thread here for final/non-beta releases.

From my Pixel 7 QPR Beta thread (and adjusting the OP with the same information):
    You can officially opt into the Android Beta Program there, or use the factory image or OTA below. You can no longer manually opt into the QPR3 Beta program - only the Android 14 Beta is offered to opt into:
    I'm only being allowed to Opt into the Android 14 beta program. I want to enroll in the Android 13 QPR Beta program instead. Any idea how?
    I don't know for sure, but I suspect that no one can opt into the QPR3 Beta program any longer.

Even Google's QPR3 Beta release page:
    which has a link:

and leads to:
    the Enroll in Android 13 Beta for Pixel button there still leads to:
    which only mentions Android 14 Beta.

So I think your only choice if you want to try QPR3 Beta is to have an unlocked bootloader and flash the factory image, or I think it's possible to sideload the OTA without unlocking the bootloader - but it's highly discouraged to try a Beta with a locked bootloader, as you'll be locked into the Beta program (via manual OTA sideloads) until it goes final, and you'll have no choice but to deal with the issues.

I don't plan on testing Betas of any sort, but feel free to use this thread for everything about the QPR Betas or major Android version betas for the Pixel 6 Pro. I'll update the information in the OP when necessary. See Post #1 in my main thread for general information (Unlocking Bootloader / Rooting / Updating | SafetyNet working again | ADB/Fastboot & Windows USB Drivers) but ask questions or make observations about all betas in this thread, please.

Once a QPR or major Android version goes final, I'll take those discussions to my main thread.
    Yet another Beta of 13, Beta 3.3:

Pixel 6 Proraven-tpb3.220617.002-factory-1acb43a3.zip1acb43a3d082b8d2cd16cba834c1b1de25042c5d5122483bbf54ff4a16682186

Android 13 Beta 3.3 (June 2022)
    Release date: June 27, 2022
    Build: TPB3.220617.002
    Emulator support: x86 (64-bit), ARM (v8-A)
    Security patch level: June 2022
    Google Play services: 22.21.16
    API diff:

If you’re already running a Developer Preview or Beta build, you will automatically receive an over-the-air (OTA) update to Beta 3.3.

This minor update to Android 13 Beta 3 includes stability and performance improvements as well as the following fixes:

• Fixed an issue with the Pixel launcher where if the Always show keyboard option was enabled for the app drawer, then when the user closed the app drawer and opened an app folder on the Home screen, the keyboard was erroneously shown as well. (Issue #236584457)
    • Fixed an issue where in some cases, such as gesturing to go back, the system UI crashed. (Issue #236558007)
    • Fixed an issue where devices couldn't connect to a WiFi network in some cases even when the network was available and the signal strength was good. (Issue #236617510)
    • Fixed an issue where the BluetoothManagerService continued to try and bind to the TbsService even when bluetooth.profile.ccp.server.enabled was false, leading to slow performance and cold starts for apps.
    • Fixed an issue where in some cases after a device was plugged in to charge (for example, overnight), the device would become unresponsive until it was rebooted.
    • Fixed a kernel issue with lib/list_debug.c that caused a kernel panic in certain cases on some devices.
    • Fixed an issue with the Connectivity Thermal Power Manager that caused slow UI rendering, unresponsiveness in apps, and poor battery performance in some cases.

June 27, 2022 2:30pm Comment Skanda Hazarika

Google rolls out Android 13 Beta 3.3 with a bunch of bug fixes​

The beta branch of Android 13 just picked up a new bug-squashing update. Following in the footsteps of Android 13 Beta 3’s earlier incremental updates, this new release fixes a whole bunch of issues, including slow UI rendering, inability to connect to a Wi-Fi network, system UI crashes, and a few other problems.
    The build number of Android 13 Beta 3.3 is TPB3.220617.002. There is no change in the security patch level, though, hence it’s still June 2022 on this release. You can find the full list of published fixes in this update below:
    • Fixed an issue with the Pixel launcher where if the Always show keyboard option was enabled for the app drawer, then when the user closed the app drawer and opened an app folder on the Home screen, the keyboard was erroneously shown as well. (Issue #236584457)
    • Fixed an issue where in some cases, such as gesturing to go back, the system UI crashed. (Issue #236558007)
    • Fixed an issue where devices couldn’t connect to a WiFi network in some cases even when the network was available and the signal strength was good. (Issue #236617510)
    • Fixed an issue where the BluetoothManagerService continued to try and bind to the TbsService even when bluetooth.profile.ccp.server.enabled was false, leading to slow performance and cold starts for apps.
    • Fixed an issue where in some cases after a device was plugged in to charge (for example, overnight), the device would become unresponsive until it was rebooted.
    • Fixed a kernel issue with lib/list_debug.c that caused a kernel panic in certain cases on some devices.
    • Fixed an issue with the Connectivity Thermal Power Manager that caused slow UI rendering, unresponsiveness in apps, and poor battery performance in some cases.
    Apart from the aforementioned bug fixes, the update also bumps the Google Play services version from 22.18.19 to 22.21.16.
    In case your Google Pixel device is already enrolled in the Android 13 beta program, you will automatically receive an over-the-air update to Beta 3.3. You can also download the full OTA or the factory image from the link below if you want to manually upgrade to the latest beta release.
    Download Android 13 Beta 3.3

Source: Android Beta Program on Reddit
    All, this is not a thread for opinions about the Pixel 6/Pro in general, nor is it a thread made for rants. Opinions specifically about Android 13 are fine. I know there have been a few posts that have nothing specific to do with Android 13 and I've let it go. If anyone wants to make posts that don't address anything specifically about Android 13, there are many, many threads in this section where that has taken place.

I know, because I used to read every post in this section but now I avoid the threads that contain those kinds of posts, and I'd like to not see them here in this thread. Any further posts of those types will be deleted as off-topic.
    I think Magisk removed the need to pass the vbmeta disable verity/verification flag with Canary 24303. Here's a quote related to a kernel issue from yujincheng08 (LoveSy):

"Let me clarify the things.
    Magisk was used to modify the fstab to inject Magisk components, and in the meantime, Magisk stipped avb_key and avb flags for all partitions. So, that 24300 works is just a side effect and has no insurance.
    Now Magisk changed its way of injecting Magisk components, and it will no longer modify the fstab, and the side effect was thus gone together with the refactorization. Some configurations that rely on the fact that Magisk will strip those verification flags will no longer work, and that's expected. Users should disable the verification themselves since they are expected to have unlocked bootloaders."

This all relates to problems with custom kernels and Magisk, but may have further implications for us. Check out more in the issue here..

Good spot. Seeing as how that's now intended behaviour, I guess wiping and disabling verification is all our best moves from here.

I'll take this moment to suggest investing in Swift Backup and setting up an automatic backup that runs periodically, so long as you have root it makes wiping pretty much a non-issue.
    New Pixel 6 modem included!

g5123b-102852-220609-b-8701566