March update with Magisk

Search This thread

Daisymae

Mar 4, 2014
Google Pixel 3 XL
OnePlus 8 Pro
Trying to patch boot.img with Magisk on March update. I check "select and patch..", select boot.img and it says "lets go". When I click on that Magisk closes and nothing happens. No magisk_patched.img is created. Anyone else have this problem?

Homeboy76

Recognized Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Trying to patch boot.img with Magisk on March update. I check "select and patch..", select boot.img and it says "lets go". When I click on that Magisk closes and nothing happens. No magisk_patched.img is created. Anyone else have this problem?
What do you mean when you say you "checked
select and patch'? Do you mean you opened Magisk Manager tapped install (next to Magisk),tapped install, tapped select a boot image to patch. Selected it and tapped the check mark? If yes, try again.

Daisymae

Mar 4, 2014
Google Pixel 3 XL
OnePlus 8 Pro
What do you mean when you say you "checked
select and patch'? Do you mean you opened Magisk Manager tapped install (next to Magisk),tapped install, tapped select a boot image to patch. Selected it and tapped the check mark? If yes, try again.
Tried it several times with same result. When I get to "method" I tap "select and patch". It immediately takes me to the download directory where the boot.img is. I tap that and it takes me back to the screen with the methods. I tap next and then "lets go" appears.. I tap that and it closes. Nothing happens.
Update: found the problem. It was a canary magisk manager. DL the stable one and patched image was created.

Last edited:

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro

Had exactly the same thing today. I cleared cache and data on Magisk Manager, uninstalled it and then reinstalled. Worked fine after that. Might be able to skip the uninstall step, I just do things that 2ay to be complete. Make sure you get the APK from a legit source, there are fakes out there.

Ahhh, just saw the post above. Yep I was on Canary and when I reinstalled I went back to stable.

Reactions: fratletimac

ktdt00

May 23, 2006
When I patch the March boot.img with Magisk Manager 7.5.1 stable and Magisk 20.3 I get a boot loop at the "G" screen after the progress bars cycle for a few seconds. I actually got the same result when I did the Magisk method of accepting the March OTA which is why I'm trying this method. I've tried reflashing both slots with factory March and then flashing patched image to both slots, so far no love. If I flash the stock boot.img back to the active slot it boots right up without root. Any ideas? TIA!

Homeboy76

Recognized Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
When I patch the March boot.img with Magisk Manager 7.5.1 stable and Magisk 20.3 I get a boot loop at the "G" screen after the progress bars cycle for a few seconds. I actually got the same result when I did the Magisk method of accepting the March OTA which is why I'm trying this method. I've tried reflashing both slots with factory March and then flashing patched image to both slots, so far no love. If I flash the stock boot.img back to the active slot it boots right up without root. Any ideas? TIA!
It could be a bad (outdated) module that is causing the boot loop.
Try this:
- Download: image-newpixel3xlRemove
-
Code:
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img --slot all
-
Code:
fastfoot boot image-newpixel3xl.img
- Use a root file manager to open data/adb/modules folder
- Remove/Delete all the modules in the folder
- Remove/Delete the hidden file: .disable_magisk in the cache folder
- Reboot
- Thank the OP!

Last edited:

ktdt00

May 23, 2006
Try this:
- Download: image-newpixel4xlRemove
-
Code:
-
Code:
fastfoot boot image-newpixel4xlRemove.img
- Reboot
- Thank the OP!

That worked! I actually had to use the image-newpixelxx vs image-newpixelxxRemove as the latter also boot looped for me. Who knows what state I'd gotten myself into to cause that. I also had to manually take Magisk out of core only mode afterwards in the app settings in order to get systemless hosts working again. Anyway - it definitely was a bad module and you put me directly on the right track! Thanks so much!

Reactions: Homeboy76

Homeboy76

Recognized Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Try this:
- Download: image-newpixel4xlRemove
-
-

That worked! I actually had to use the image-newpixelxx vs image-newpixelxxRemove as the latter also boot looped for me. Who knows what state I'd gotten myself into to cause that. I also had to manually take Magisk out of core only mode afterwards in the app settings in order to get systemless hosts working again. Anyway - it definitely was a bad module and you put me directly on the right track! Thanks so much!
Glad you got it working. :)

Reactions: ktdt00

rsnyc

Jan 17, 2015
Hey all, anyone having the issue of the Play Store not being certified after updating to the March update? I'm rooted after using the patched image with Magisk but I can't get certified. Thanks in advance.

JayYip

Dec 20, 2016
My phone boots fine after root but the touch screen is not working. After flashing the stock boot.img again then everything works fine. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Stable version roots fine so that's an option until canary builds are fixed.

Beta works without issue as well.
    Stable version roots fine so that's an option until canary builds are fixed.
    Try this:
    - Download: image-newpixel3xlRemove
    -
    Code:
    -
    Code:
    fastfoot boot image-newpixel3xl.img
    - Reboot
    - Thank the OP!

Had exactly the same thing today. I cleared cache and data on Magisk Manager, uninstalled it and then reinstalled. Worked fine after that. Might be able to skip the uninstall step, I just do things that 2ay to be complete. Make sure you get the APK from a legit source, there are fakes out there.

Ahhh, just saw the post above. Yep I was on Canary and when I reinstalled I went back to stable.