Massive Burn In

Search This thread

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
you're so wrong

Regarding that you won't get burn-in or that the tool will prevent it? I do believe I've seen a few reports since my post but an RMA solved the problems. That tool looks to do more harm than good as a preventative. And really, how many have burn-in in the million or so sold?

pcriz

Aug 23, 2008
Regarding that you won't get burn-in or that the tool will prevent it? I do believe I've seen a few reports since my post but an RMA solved the problems. That tool looks to do more harm than good as a preventative. And really, how many have burn-in in the million or so sold?

Lol probably a lot to varying degrees but chances are the screen is never in a state that makes it readily apparent.

pcriz

Aug 23, 2008
Interesting. I wonder if there is a way to see that. Or not.

See if it's happening?

I mean I've had my device since release and I have it. I can see it faintly on an all white back ground. My brightness is almost always at 50% auto or less. Normal day to day use I don't see a thing.

BCSC

Nov 5, 2009
New Westminster
I RMA'd a phone a month ago because of the burned in nav bar. It is most noticable when the phone is booting on a white screen, but can be seen on any full screen view. A month in, the replacement is doing it as well. Statistically 2/2 is not good.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
See if it's happening?

I mean I've had my device since release and I have it. I can see it faintly on an all white back ground. My brightness is almost always at 50% auto or less. Normal day to day use I don't see a thing.
I don't see a thing! I ran the 10 hours of white screen and there is no shadow or burn-in whatsoever. I even looked at your video and didn't see anything in the few minutes I watched. Is it possible this is an overactive imagination? Just being facetious, but the bottom like is that you don't see it under normal use.

Nonetheless, by black Friday I will have another device on order and this one will be handed down to an S5 user. She will not see any burn in since neither do I.

Jammol

Apr 26, 2012
Somewhere in Colorado
I've never had burn in on any Amoled screen. Then again, I don't keep my devices long enough to have it happen I guess. I purposely RMA every few months to keep the warranty fresh unless I've having issues with a device.:good:

RedBlueGreen

Feb 26, 2011
London
I always get it on amoled displays... its because of the black navbar... if google made the colour change on every single app we wouldn't have the problem... yes there are apps for this and roms.. but the app doesn't work all the time and not everyone has a custom rom.

I RMA mine 6ish months in every time and get a new one.. I literally just received my new pixel xl yesterday.

Reactions: Jammol

Jammol

Apr 26, 2012
Somewhere in Colorado
I always get it on amoled displays... its because of the black navbar... if google made the colour change on every single app we wouldn't have the problem... yes there are apps for this and roms.. but the app doesn't work all the time and not everyone has a custom rom.

I RMA mine 6ish months in every time and get a new one.. I literally just received my new pixel xl yesterday.

My wife hates when I do mine. "you're getting another phone again?" Lol.:laugh:

mlin

Dec 27, 2007
I've never had burn in on any Amoled screen. Then again, I don't keep my devices long enough to have it happen I guess. I purposely RMA every few months to keep the warranty fresh unless I've having issues with a device.:good:

I know this is an old post, but I believe the warranty period begins from purchase date i.e. you don't get a fresh warranty every time the device is replaced.

Jammol

Apr 26, 2012
Somewhere in Colorado
I know this is an old post, but I believe the warranty period begins from purchase date i.e. you don't get a fresh warranty every time the device is replaced.

Google was doing it on Project Fi for about a year but they definitely don't do it anymore though. They were sending me a brand new device until I eventually said screw it and got a refund then got the Pixel XL.

indianajonze

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Yeah. Maybe...I don't want to have to restore everything though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

i mean if you have even a shred of a clue as to what you're doing, restoring to a new android device should be measured in minutes...

as for burn in, i was with many here with the "meh it'll never happen". trust me, it happens with amoled. fact of life. there are definitely ways to prevent it (adaptive brightness, gmd immersive, etc), but if you're not watchful it WILL happen

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I was watching YouTube and then my phone performed a random reboot. Woe and behold, I spotted massive navbar burn in on the screen. Now I won't even be able to sell this piece of sh!T phone for half price.

Sounds defective to me. Prior to creating a thread to complain, then attacking the first to respond stating his has been fine, have you tried to contact support yet and maybe try to setup an RMA? Mine has been fine too.
    Lo and behold....wait, mine is also fine.

When I worked at Best Buy, the LG 4K OLED TVs would get some serious burn-in from the demo video we had looping constantly. The LG rep told us to throw a flash drive in the TV and have it display a totally white screen for a few hours. We did it overnight and it worked. I suppose it's worth a shot on your phone, I'm sure there's an app for it. Overnight probably isn't necessary but a few hours should do.

Either way I'd try to RMA it because itll most likely happen again.
    Burn in is caused by leds being used more than the leds around them. By running a burn in tool you are just prematurally aging all your leds to try to make them match. Overall your just ending up with a dimmer display.

Wow. Never said that. But my guess is you just wanted to complain about the phone and not see if anyone else was having the issue or not.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone