[MATA] [CAF] [UNIFIED] [EAS] [4.4.166] [CLANG 8.0] Neutrino Kernel (hercules)

Search This thread

hx3

Jun 29, 2010
OnePlus 12R
So this may come off as a noob question, but I've been trying everything to get the latest versions of LOS 15.1 and neutrino running with the latest October firmware. From what I've read that firmware is necessary for this set up. I've used the October Essential images to flash to both slots and trying two different ways of using TWRP on both slots with touch working on the each of them.

But once I install LOS, whether it's through TWRP or adb sideload, I get a bootloop every time. And then the opposite slot reverts back to the stock Essential recovery. I've also tried flashing the ROM, kernel and Magisk on to both slots but it goes in to a bootloop, too. And I believe I used the instructions on the LOS thread about using the old, temporary twrp to flash everything, but still no go. The only thing I didn't do was flash the firmware posted in the OP in that thread. Confusing the heck out of me, and I know what I'm doing with the slots, twrp and having the latest firmware flashed to both slots.

The latest Stock Pie and Havoc GSI Pie flash and boot up properly, while retaining twrp on both slots. But I'm not too keen on Pie yet. There are things missing on there that I loved on Oreo.

Any ideas on where I'm making a mistake? I suppose I could always downgrade to the final Oreo firmware and use the previous neutrino kernel, but I'd really like to see where I'm going wrong with this. Any help is greatly appreciated. And I apologize for the long message. Just wanted to make everything clear as to what I've done thus far.

Last edited:

Aragakki

Feb 3, 2018
thank you for your work,but i meet some bugs on it...
my version is pie034,if i charge my phone all night,the magisk would be uninstalled when i awake...even once i just charge some minus normally...the magisk uninstalled...
besides,the screen would stop in a boundary and then reboot when i touched the screen...the frequency is about once a day...
can them be fixed? thank you

lynnux

Jun 4, 2013
my version is pie034,if i charge my phone all night,the magisk would be uninstalled when i awake...even once i just charge some minus normally...the magisk uninstalled...
besides,the screen would stop in a boundary and then reboot when i touched the screen...the frequency is about once a day...
From OP:
"That being said, this is an EAS kernel and is best suited for use on EAS-compatible ROMs. Just because it can be flashed on stock does not mean that you should do so. Installation on ROMs which do not natively support EAS (such as stock) will likely result in sub-optimal battery performance and I will not entertain any complaints stemming from the use of Neutrino on ROMs which are incompatible with EAS. Stock support is a perk and an experiment on my part, please do not make me regret giving you the ability to flash on stock, I will drop public support for it if this disclaimer is routinely ignored. If you choose not to heed my recommendations, you are doing so at your own discretion."

Hitmax117

Aug 23, 2010
I keep reading it's a kernel for use with EAS rom, but is there an EAS rom based on pie? Because I can't seem to find one

hx3

Jun 29, 2010
OnePlus 12R
I keep reading it's a kernel for use with EAS rom, but is there an EAS rom based on pie? Because I can't seem to find one

https://xdaforums.com/project-treble/trebleenabled-device-development/gsi-havocos-v2-0-t3855601 - that works with the latest neutrino kernel, but the fingerprint reader doesn't work on the latest build and the status bar is much smaller in height. Otherwise, it runs very well with a lot of customization.

Installation is a bit different, but not difficult (there are instructions for the PH-1 throughout that thread). If you plan on installing it, use the AB version and make sure the latest October firmware is installed to both slots. And flash the ROM, kernel and Magisk to both slots, either through TWRP or adb sideload.

Last edited:
Reactions: droidian5

Hitmax117

Aug 23, 2010
https://xdaforums.com/project-treble/trebleenabled-device-development/gsi-havocos-v2-0-t3855601 - that works with the latest neutrino kernel, but the fingerprint reader doesn't work on the latest build and the status bar is much smaller in height. Otherwise, it runs very well with a lot of customization.

Installation is a bit different, but not difficult (there are instructions for the PH-1 throughout that thread). If you plan on installing it, use the AB version and make sure the latest October firmware is installed to both slots. And flash the ROM, kernel and Magisk to both slots, either through TWRP or adb sideload.

I already looked into HavocOS before but yet again totally no mentioning of it being an EAS enabled ROM. So is there even an EAS rom based on pie for our device?

hx3

Jun 29, 2010
OnePlus 12R
I already looked into HavocOS before but yet again totally no mentioning of it being an EAS enabled ROM. So is there even an EAS rom based on pie for our device?

You can use the latest neutrino without any issues on that ROM (the two bugs I mentioned aren't kernel related). It supports EAS-based kernels and it's running Pie. Search throughout the ROM's thread. There are also early builds of Lineage 16, but I've read they're quite a bit buggy at this time.

Last edited:

Hitmax117

Aug 23, 2010
You can use the latest neutrino without any issues on that ROM (the two bugs I mentioned aren't kernel related). It supports EAS-based kernels and it's running Pie. Search throughout the ROM's thread. There are also early builds of Lineage 16, but I've read they're quite a bit buggy at this time.
That may well be so but I'm looking for an EAS enabled pie ROM to get the most of the kernel, not just a ROM that "runs" it. It's an EAS kernel after all.
@return.of.octobot is there an EAS enabled pie ROM you suggest?

hx3

Jun 29, 2010
OnePlus 12R
That may well be so but I'm looking for an EAS enabled pie ROM to get the most of the kernel, not just a ROM that "runs" it. It's an EAS kernel after all.
@return.of.octobot is there an EAS enabled pie ROM you suggest?

The latest HavocOS is an EAS enabled Pie ROM. Just like the Lineage 15.1 thread here on XDA, the OP makes no mention of it being EAS enabled. Like I said, search through the thread I originally posted.

It supports all of the features that neutrino provides when you're using a kernel manager, such as EX Kernel Manager. I can't really spell it out any better for you. It works flawlessly and you can change whatever kernel settings you desire.

return.of.octobot

Mar 5, 2015
Wilmington, NY
Good Lord, looks like it's time for a weekly recap...

Is there anyway to get the boot.img file from the new kernel (for LOS)? I find it easier to flash that directly than with a zip.

Thanks.

No, there isn't. I moved away from boot images for a reason, as AnyKernel is much more conducive to universal compatibility. I was literally the only kernel developer using boot images in the past and it was because my kernel was ROM-specific at the time. Now that this is no longer the case, Neutrino is formatted in the same way as any other custom kernel you're going to find with the added benefit of cross-compatibility between stock and custom ROMs. I honestly would have preferred to have been consulted before boot image hacks of my builds started being circulated. I suppose I'll let it ride, but I will not provide support for any issues encountered while using these boot images. Officially sanctioned Neutrino kernel zips ship with two kernel image variants which are then served up and flashed based on which ROM you currently have installed as detected by the AnyKernel script. Which of the two image variants was used to make these third party boot images? Who knows! I would prefer that these images cease to be created, but will not take any action against the individual creating them. I only hope that they will take what I'm saying into consideration and at the very least append a disclaimer to their products indicating that they are unofficial and not created by myself.

So this may come off as a noob question, but I've been trying everything to get the latest versions of LOS 15.1 and neutrino running with the latest October firmware. From what I've read that firmware is necessary for this set up. I've used the October Essential images to flash to both slots and trying two different ways of using TWRP on both slots with touch working on the each of them.

But once I install LOS, whether it's through TWRP or adb sideload, I get a bootloop every time. And then the opposite slot reverts back to the stock Essential recovery. I've also tried flashing the ROM, kernel and Magisk on to both slots but it goes in to a bootloop, too. And I believe I used the instructions on the LOS thread about using the old, temporary twrp to flash everything, but still no go. The only thing I didn't do was flash the firmware posted in the OP in that thread. Confusing the heck out of me, and I know what I'm doing with the slots, twrp and having the latest firmware flashed to both slots.

The latest Stock Pie and Havoc GSI Pie flash and boot up properly, while retaining twrp on both slots. But I'm not too keen on Pie yet. There are things missing on there that I loved on Oreo.

Any ideas on where I'm making a mistake? I suppose I could always downgrade to the final Oreo firmware and use the previous neutrino kernel, but I'd really like to see where I'm going wrong with this. Any help is greatly appreciated. And I apologize for the long message. Just wanted to make everything clear as to what I've done thus far.

I wish I had a more helpful response, I am no longer using LOS 15.1 personally, but I know that I've had users who are, and one in particular who was building LOS 15.1 with current Neutrino source inline, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to why it's not booting for you.

I'm having a difficult time comprehending what you're trying to communicate to me, but I see the word reboot. I have been using the current build on stock 034 since I released it and have not experienced a single reboot, nor has Magisk been 'uninstalled'. If you're experiencing reboots then I will need to see the contents of sys/fs/pstore after one occurs in order to determine what is going on and whether or not my kernel is at fault for it. Otherwise, I can't fix a problem that I don't have, so help me help you.

Yes, there are several. I can only speculate as to why devs are less inclined to post on XDA lately, but it would seem that a certain Telegram group which I provided a link for earlier in this thread might provide what you're looking for. Who knows, you might even find beta tests of upcoming Neutrino releases in there.

In other news I'm working on wrapping up a significant update which I hope to have completed by week's end. I realize update frequency may not be on par with some of the other developers you're accustomed to, but I have limited time to work on this project as it is and I try to aim for quality of updates over quantity of updates. At this point, I'm aiming for new releases as often as once a month at a minimum, to once every couple of weeks at a maximum depending on the criticality of the changes being made. That being said, I will not define and/or guarantee a release schedule beyond 'as I see fit'.

Last edited:

Cygnini

Nov 16, 2018
I wish I had a more helpful response, I am no longer using LOS 15.1 personally, but I know that I've had users who are, and one in particular who was building LOS 15.1 with current Neutrino source inline, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to why it's not booting for you.

Any public links to the LOS 15.1 with Neutrino kernel building? The original building on the xda seems to stop updating.

falleny

Aug 16, 2007
Zhuhai
thank you for your great work...this kernel works well on stock rom. also very power efficiency, i also put it on my daily use ph1 for about two weeks, but i have had the same issue @Aragakki mentioned above. my stock rom was rooted using magisk, with this kernel, sometimes my phone becomes unrooted, magisk manager shows magisk did not installed, all other app which need root access did not work either. a simple reboot fixed this problem, which i assume my magisk files still exist in my boot partition. it happened twice during two weeks, i am not sure when and how to trigger it. i only know this happened when i need to use some root apps. everything else works perfect.

again, thanks a lot for your hard works.

D

Deleted member 7030080

Thanks for your response, @Star_king12!

I now see on the github that there is a new version, Hercules. Does this have the deep sleep issue fixed? If this is fairly stable like the previous releases, I could flash it and give it a run.
He told me that he hopes that latest changes fixed deep sleep issues for those who had them. Only testing will show if its fixed or not.

return.of.octobot

Mar 5, 2015
Wilmington, NY
4.4.166-NeutrinoKernel-hercules

**OP updated for Neutrino Kernel release (4.4.166-hercules)**

Better late than never...

Neutrino Kernel release for Essential PH-1 (mata)
Linux Version: 4.4.166
Neutrino Version: hercules
HEAD: f324a8c

Changelog (Summarized):
(Complete Changelog)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Neutrino Kernel began as an effort to keep the stock LineageOS 15.1 kernel up-to-date with the latest linux-stable releases and has since evolved into an intensive crash course in maintaining my own custom kernel. Although some of you would accuse me of modesty, I think it's important to acknowledge that I am a "kernel developer" in the same way that Amy Schumer is a "comedian". That is to say, my work is highly derivative and built on the backs of individuals who are far more talented than I am. My role here is to have a vision, establish a design philosophy, and use the resources at my disposal to bring that vision to fruition.

Those of you who've perused my staging repo will know that I'm very particular about cleanliness. All changes and additions are vetted based on viability and purpose. Neutrino is based on kernel.lnx.4.4.r35-rel, pure CAF source for Android 9.0 tracking and upstreamed to the latest linux-stable release. I have manually rebased Essential's stock kernel source on top of CAF using relevant OEM commits from PPR1.181005.034. All major features and patchsets are assembled on independent staging branches of this codebase base and merged into the release repository.

I do not commit changes that I cannot justify or explain, and I do not go on indiscriminate cherry-picking sprees. There are a handful of developers that I highly respect, and who's projects have served as inspiration for my own. My intention is to incorporate the best of what they've brought to the table in a way that most effectively achieves and enhances this project's design goals.

I like to think that Neutrino is relatively subdued in terms of "features", with a stronger focus on optimizations over fluff. That being said, there have been quite a few additions which I feel have merit in terms of increased performance and/or efficiency provided the former does not compromise the later:

• Revamped EAS implementation for Pie
    • sultanxda's CPU/GPU Boost Drivers
    • Dynamic SchedTune Boosting
    • Maple I/O Scheduler
    • Broader subsystem support for Power Efficient Workqueues
    • KCAL Color Control
    • Backlight Dimmer
    • Fsync Toggle (enabled by default)
    • GPU Underclock @ 180 MHz
    • CPU (partial) Overclock, Silver Cores @ 2035 MHz
    • Boeffla Wakelock Blocker v1.1.0
    • Wireguard Support
    • VDSO Support
    • Treewide memory allocation/overflow patches from mainline
    • OOM Reaper and various memory management enhancements to improve LMK
    • Treewide compiler warnings corrected
    • Built with self-compiled Clang 8.0.3 and GCC 8.2.0 toolchains, with a local initialization sanitizer and polly optimization flags

INSTALLATION:
    **Neutrino now utilizes AnyKernel2 zip format for universal compatibility**
    As a result, you can now flash this kernel on just about anything including Oreo/Pie custom and stock ROMs. The only requirement is that your firmware is current and up-to-date with PPR1.180905.036 at a minimum. Flashing on older firmware will result in broken input detection and a non-functional touchscreen.

That being said, this is an EAS kernel and is best suited for use on EAS-compatible ROMs. Just because it can be flashed on stock does not mean that you should do so. Installation on ROMs which do not natively support EAS (such as stock) will likely result in sub-optimal battery performance and I will not entertain any complaints stemming from the use of Neutrino on ROMs which are incompatible with EAS. Stock support is a perk and an experiment on my part, please do not make me regret giving you the ability to flash on stock, I will drop public support for it if this disclaimer is routinely ignored. If you choose not to heed my recommendations, you are doing so at your own discretion.

For ease of use, I would recommend using an app with built-in zip flashing functionality such as EX Kernel Manager or FK Kernel Manager. Of course, I cannot expect all of you to utilize a paid app for installation and as such, conventional installation via TWRP is certainly possible as well.

Neutrino will preserve existing Magisk installation during kernel update, meaning if you already have Magisk installed on your device you need not worry about reflashing Magisk when updating your kernel. If you do not already have Magisk installed and desire root access then Magisk zip must be flashed following kernel zip via TWRP.

DOWNLOADS:
    Current releases can be downloaded here.
    Archival builds (boot images) for lineage-15.1 can be found here.

SOURCE & SPECS:
    Neutrino Kernel Source
    Neutrino Staging Repo
    Changelog
    Linux Kernel Version: 4.4.166
    CAF Release: LA.UM.7.4.r1-03900-8x98.0
    Neutrino Kernel Version: hercules
    Clang Version: neutrino clang 8.0.0-r348460
    Build Date: 20181206
    For the sake of courtesy to anyone who still cares, I will be requesting the closure of this thread. This does not mean I am effectively throwing in the towel on this project, it's just indicative of the fact that I have run up against a wall which I am currently unable to overcome on my own accord. It seems I am currently the only person on the entirety of the internet trying to implement EAS on the new CAF Pie tags, and my individual attempts have had embarrassing results to say the least. I have no desire to maintain an HMP based kernel as there is very little that I'd be able to offer on that end that you wouldn't be able to find elsewhere, by someone more talented than I am. With that being said, until I get smarter, or find a like minded collaborator I see no reason to keep this thread open for the time being and passively stoke expectations for a future release that is unlikely to materialize in any sort of timely manner.
    So, I pretty much spent all day getting back to the point I was at yesterday but such is life. On a positive note I've rebased OEM source on kernel.lnx.4.4.r34-rel (our new CAF branch for 9.0), and upstreamed to 4.4.152. It was a slog considering there was no android-linux-stable repo to work off of this time, but it was good exercise to go through the process myself and I'm extremely pleased with how clean the result turned out to be. Really looking forward to seeing how this progresses, apologies in advance for the delay that ensues, but I promise I'm working as quick as I possibly can (just ask the last 8 hours of my life). If you're at all interested, you can follow the progress here.
    With all do respect guys, I requested this thread be reopened in preparation for new releases. I was hoping that it would silently remain unbumped until I was ready to update it but it seems that ship has sailed.

Yes, there is a new build and I will be continuing work on this project. Some of you may very well already be running it, but there are a few things I need to take care of before it hits XDA officially and more importantly there is some pertinent information that I need to make clear in the OP in an attempt to mitigate future headaches. I will attempt to summarize some of these points for the times being..

- New builds will be in AnyKernel zip format

- They will run on anything including stock and oreo/pie custom ROMs provided that your firmware is up to date with PPR1.180905.036 (September) or newer.

- Just because it runs on stock does not mean that you should flash it. This is an EAS kernel and is best suited for use with EAS compatible ROMs, I will not entertain complaints stemming from the use of Neutrino on stock or any other ROM that does not natively support EAS.

- If you choose to flash Neutrino on stock YMMV and you are doing so at your own discretion. Stock/universal support is a perk and an experiment on my part. Do not make me regret giving you the ability to flash on stock, I will drop public support for it like a hot potato.

That's more or less the gist of it, I'm going to take the next day or two to get a few things in order at which point I will update this thread and officially drop the new release. Thank you for your patience.
    4.4.166-NeutrinoKernel-hercules

**OP updated for Neutrino Kernel release (4.4.166-hercules)**

Better late than never...

Neutrino Kernel release for Essential PH-1 (mata)
    Linux Version: 4.4.166
    Neutrino Version: hercules
    HEAD: f324a8c

Changelog (Summarized):
    (Complete Changelog)