• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Mate 20X EVR-L29 in USA

Search This thread

raibeart

Oct 11, 2021
I was told that the 20x no longer works with any cellphone carriers in the US but I purchased a EVR-L29 model anyways and having them shipped over here in the states because I really like the phone for media consumption. I am just wondering if there is any current owners here in the US that can confirm or deny this fact.

frcraig

Jan 3, 2017
Halifax
As long as your local carrier supports the LTE frequencies the EVR-L29 transmits and receives on then you are fine. The ban on Google and Android software on new Huawei hardware doesn't effect the functionality of phones manufactured before the ban. We have still have an EVR-L29 in our household in Canada and it still gets regular OTA updates and connected fine to local US carriers while we were in Boston and New York last week. I sold our my own EVR-L29 last year and have been using a Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra to get the faster 5g speeds, but the Mate 20 x is still my favorite phone and when ever I get a chance to take my wife's on the road with me.

Deanro

Feb 24, 2020
I sold our my own EVR-L29 last year and have been using a Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra to get the faster 5g speeds, but the Mate 20 x is still my favorite phone and when ever I get a chance to take my wife's on the road with me.

I was strongly thinking about buying the note 20 ultra. Its better than the 20x except for screen size and aspect ratio, of course. But the note 20 ultra is an amazing phone with the best display on the planet. Still thinking about buying one and selling my mate 20x.

frcraig

Jan 3, 2017
Halifax
I was strongly thinking about buying the note 20 ultra. Its better than the 20x except for screen size and aspect ratio, of course. But the note 20 ultra is an amazing phone with the best display on the planet. Still thinking about buying one and selling my mate 20x.
The screen size and aspect ratio of the Mate 20 x have the Note Ultra 20 beat hands down. Whether it is reading a Kindle novel to pass time on a flight or reading articles on the internet, the Mate 20 x is just the right size for the job. Although on paper the dimensions of the Note 20 Ultra are not that much smaller, I find myself squinting a bit at the screen and often have to pinch to zoom. One advantage the Note 20 Ultra has that you wouldn't notice if you didn't switch back and forth between the models is the refresh rate. The adaptive 60 / 90 / 120 refresh rate on the Samsung product makes touch gestures buttery smooth - but I still prefer the increased screen real estate of the Huawei.

Deanro

Feb 24, 2020
The screen size and aspect ratio of the Mate 20 x have the Note Ultra 20 beat hands down. Whether it is reading a Kindle novel to pass time on a flight or reading articles on the internet, the Mate 20 x is just the right size for the job. Although on paper the dimensions of the Note 20 Ultra are not that much smaller, I find myself squinting a bit at the screen and often have to pinch to zoom. One advantage the Note 20 Ultra has that you wouldn't notice if you didn't switch back and forth between the models is the refresh rate. The adaptive 60 / 90 / 120 refresh rate on the Samsung product makes touch gestures buttery smooth - but I still prefer the increased screen real estate of the Huawei.

What do you think about the Honor x30 max since its the same size and aspect ratio as the 20x?

frcraig

Jan 3, 2017
Halifax
What do you think about the Honor x30 max since its the same size and aspect ratio as the 20x?
The Honor has larger bezels and a taller aspect ratio resulting in less screen than the Huawei. I haven't seen a review of its camera set up, but the Huawei is still brilliant and for sound also has aptX HD. Huawei has been good about OTA updates for the Mate 20 x, continuing to treat it as a flagship phone. Makes life easier than side-loading Google apps on the Honor.

frcraig

Jan 3, 2017
Halifax
My Mate 20 x gives me about six hour more use on a charge than the Note 20 Ultra, but I can fully charge the Note 20 Ultra in about forty minutes.

Deanro

Feb 24, 2020
My Mate 20 x gives me about six hour more use on a charge than the Note 20 Ultra, but I can fully charge the Note 20 Ultra in about forty minutes.

That's strange. Most users report that the n20u gives more battery usage than the 20x. And 6 hours more with only 500 mah difference? That doesnt sound right.

Top Liked Posts