• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Max charge rate for Moto G Stylus (2021)?

Search This thread

verbage

Aug 12, 2014
So when you buy a Moto G Stylus (2021), it comes with a 10W charger. And 10W that is sort of what is cagily listed on the Moto website for this device. But when I plug it into a QC3 charger, I get about a 14W charging rate (5V x 2.8A). Does anybody know the maximum charge rate for this device, and specific charger models that can provide it? Would a USB-C PD charger at a higher wattage be able to charge at a faster rate? Thanks in advance for your comments on this matter.

mario0318

To answer your question, yes a USB C PD adapter would provide faster charging. So long as it's QC 3.0 or higher. 18W or 30W should be fine, I believe the phone input charge maxes out at 15 Watts (absolutely no permission to quote me on that lol) so if you don't mind a bit of heat and the potential of degrading your battery slightly faster than with charging on a standard 1A, 2.4V charger, then the 18W or 27W USB C wall adapter that is compatible with QC 3.0 or 4.0, should be sufficient. Don't forget to grab a couple good grade USB C to C cables as they are often the first thing to go bad and prevents turbocharge from kicking in.

verbage

Aug 12, 2014
Thanks for the comments, @mario0318 So if I am currently seeing 14W (5V x 2.8A) with a QC3 charger, it sounds like I may be near the max already if it is only 15W. I have no USB-C PD chargers yet that I can use to test, but there was a 25W Belkin model on sale today (for Black Friday) for just $10 so I ordered myself one. When it comes in, I'll test it versus the QC3 charger to see if there is any significant difference.

verbage

Aug 12, 2014
So I have a basic update here. The QC3 charger I mentioned has an LED readout on it, and that is where I got the estimated 14W charge rate (as 5V x 2.8A). The new 25W Belkin charger I got does not have an LED readout for V & A on it, however. So I turned to the Ampere app on the Play Store. Then I swapped back and forth between the two charging systems and watched the estimated charge rate on Ampere. The 25W Belkin charger definitely shows higher charge rates according to the Ampere app. But I've ordered myself a USB C charge meter (like the old USB "doctor" meters, but with USB C connections) from China to document it more closely.

I might be missing something, but one thing I see lacking with the Ampere app is logging capability--it seems like its strength is just showing rates in real time. It would be cool to find an app that can not only monitor in real0time, but also log charging events with V & A stats, etc. I see AccuBattery may potentially provide this. Or any suggestions out there for another battery charge monitoring app that you think might do the trick?

For those potentially interested in the 25W Belkin charger, the specific model is the "WCA004dqWH", and it is on sale now for $10. It is actually mentioned in a news snippet here at XDA:

https://www.xda-developers.com/belkin-usb-c-25w-charger-deal-november-2021/

mario0318

I think the Battery Manager app by 3C allows recording logs for power charging events. But I forget if there's a limit with the free app compared to the paid/donate unlocked features.

Regarding the charger wattage, I'm fairly sure anything past 25W would be over kill for charging a single device like the 2021 moto g. At that point it becomes more suitable for two devices, with anything far higher like 60W or 85W being totally unnecessary and potentially harmful.

verbage

Aug 12, 2014
Thanks again, @mario0318 , for your new comments. I agree that anything beyond 25W would be overkill for this phone.

As a further update, I decided to swap over to AccuBattery, and upgrade to the Pro version. As my Stylus was already charged, I decided to try the two chargers with a Nord N10 5G that had arround a 40% charge. The QC3 charger was charging at an average of 1993 mA with the screen off after I left it sit for a few minutes. When I swapped to the 25W Belkin sytem, it jumped to 2993 mA under the same scenario so like a full 1 Amp difference. These are about the same differences I noticed between the two chargers when charging my G Stylus (2021), but I did not want to say that above because they were off-the-cuff observations. But I took screenshots with AccuBattery this time so no apprehension in stating values this time around. I'll do the same with my G Stylus next time it needs a charge.

AccuBattery suggests only charging up to 80% capacity vs. 100% capacity given the wear and tear difference on the battery. I guess I'll try that, but in the long run, replacing the battery on the G Stylus (2021)--if it ever becomes necessary--looks pretty doable based on teardown videos.