May Security patch?

Search This thread

bigbamboo5

Jul 5, 2009
Anyone have any clue as to whether this is supposed to deal with 1) The decreased battery life or 2) The screen flash when locking the phone? Thanks!

murphyjasonc

Oct 19, 2014
Raleigh
I'm currently on April's OPM2 patch so I would assume that would be the the patch I need for May. I'm 2nd guessing myself now because the OPM4 patch for May lists FI carriers. Does anyone know if this is something specific to Project FI customers? I haven't been able to find anything with my Google searches. I'm on Project Fi and a little confused now since OPM4 is normally for Telus and Koodo.

Colchiro

Dec 17, 2010
Flashed image (after removing -w), rooted with Skipsoft, then updated Magisk from the Magisk app. It doesn't get any easier than this.

Schroeder09

Nov 6, 2017
So this is actually new to me as well. I've always done the same method as you (fastbooting the entire factory images, sometimes with the -w, sometimes without).

I just downloaded the May OTA, flashed it in TWRP and it works great! Successfully on the May security patch with no issues. I did have a couple of hiccups though, and that's definitely a user-error.

I forgot the OTA flashes like a ROM zip, so I flashed Magisk right after the OTA, and Magisk was showing as uninstalled when I got back into the system. I simply went back into TWRP and flashed Magisk again, which worked well.

I also forgot to flash a custom kernel, so I was resorting to ADB commands to get things flashed, but now I have Flash kernel + Magisk 16.0 stable + Xposed beta 3 running with no issues!

Here are my steps in case anyone else is new to this like me:

1. Remove lock screen security
2. Uninstall Xposed
3. Uninstall all Substratum overlays
4. Create backups of everything (just in case)
5. Download the full OTA image onto the device
6. Boot into TWRP
7. Wipe dalvik cache
8. Flash OTA
9. Reboot to system
10. Flash custom kernel (optional)
11. Flash Magisk (optional)
12. Flash Xposed (optional)
13. Reboot
14. Done!

I'm aware some of my steps may be unnecessary, but I did them anyway since it was my first time using this method to update, so I just wanted to be cautious :)

So wait? We don't have to download the image, erase the "-w" in the .bat file, hook up to a PC, and all that crap? What exactly are you flashing from the Google site on your rooted phone that isn't wiping everything? Can you take a screenshot and circle it in a photo editing app and share with us?

pipnmike

Jul 17, 2010
New York
I am assuming that the .029 is for the vast majority of devices, as that was the version for most devices last month. I am also assuming .016 is for Telus and Koodo only, as last month's for them was .015.

In any case, I just sideloaded the OTA for .029, and seems to be working fine on T-Mobile USA.

Are you having any signal issues? I'm on T-Mobile as well and manual OTA isn't working. I've read on Reddit that T-Mobile users are having the same issue...

rickysidhu_

Apr 1, 2016
Vancouver
OnePlus 9
So wait? We don't have to download the image, erase the "-w" in the .bat file, hook up to a PC, and all that crap? What exactly are you flashing from the Google site on your rooted phone that isn't wiping everything? Can you take a screenshot and circle it in a photo editing app and share with us?
Nope, none of that crap! Haha. I was pretty pumped up myself when I got back into the system with the May patch.

This is the link to the OTA:

https://developers.google.com/android/ota

download that, and follow my (hopefully correct) steps, and you should be good to go!

Reactions: Badger50

michaelbsheldon

Jan 12, 2011
Anaheim, CA
If you download the smaller OTA, there is no -W to erase.... It does not wipe the phone unless you do that in TWRP.
The larger Factory Image has the -W and will wipe unless you edit flash-all.bat and remove it.

Schroeder09

Nov 6, 2017
Nope, none of that crap! Haha. I was pretty pumped up myself when I got back into the system with the May patch.

download that, and follow my (hopefully correct) steps, and you should be good to go!

So right here? The one that says "OPM2"? I thought this IS what I usually download and have to remove the "-w" from. Sorry I'm a skeptic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180507-211449.jpg
    Screenshot_20180507-211449.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 548

Schroeder09

Nov 6, 2017
If you download the smaller OTA, there is no -W to erase.... It does not wipe the phone unless you do that in TWRP.
The larger Factory Image has the -W and will wipe unless you edit flash-all.bat and remove it.

And so download that and follow the steps rickysidhu outlined?? This is how you've been doing it for years?

michaelbsheldon

Jan 12, 2011
Anaheim, CA
And so download that and follow the steps rickysidhu outlined?? This is how you've been doing it for years?

Longtime rooter and rommer here.
Have found that the P2-XL running plain old stock is what I like best for daily user phone. Runs so fine.
Have 1 unlocked version and use the monthly Factory Image with -W removed. Also a Verizon model that gets booted into
Recovery, then ADB and push it with Windows computer & new Android Tools.

rickysidhu_

Apr 1, 2016
Vancouver
OnePlus 9
So right here? The one that says "OPM2"? I thought this IS what I usually download and have to remove the "-w" from. Sorry I'm a skeptic.
Yeah, OPM2.

And no this is not the zip you remove the "-w" from. As you can see in your screenshot, it says "Full OTA Image", and not full factory image.

Even if you accidentally downloaded the full factory image instead of OTA, I'm sure TWRP would just return an error anyway.

Badger50

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 27, 2011
Kansas City
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7

Ricky's guide is spot on! I did the same thing except for the xposed stuff. Works like a charm! :good::cool:

Reactions: rickysidhu_

State.of.mind

Sep 2, 2011
I currently have Magisk and Xposed installed, and here are my steps for trouble free update.

1. Remove security
2. Flash update w/ -w removed
3. Install Kernel via images
4. Install TWRP
5. Install Magisk
6. Profit

def-g

Dec 30, 2008
Winnipeg
So this is actually new to me as well. I've always done the same method as you (fastbooting the entire factory images, sometimes with the -w, sometimes without).

I just downloaded the May OTA, flashed it in TWRP and it works great! Successfully on the May security patch with no issues. I did have a couple of hiccups though, and that's definitely a user-error.

I forgot the OTA flashes like a ROM zip, so I flashed Magisk right after the OTA, and Magisk was showing as uninstalled when I got back into the system. I simply went back into TWRP and flashed Magisk again, which worked well.

I also forgot to flash a custom kernel, so I was resorting to ADB commands to get things flashed, but now I have Flash kernel + Magisk 16.0 stable + Xposed beta 3 running with no issues!

Here are my steps in case anyone else is new to this like me:

1. Remove lock screen security
2. Uninstall Xposed
3. Uninstall all Substratum overlays
4. Create backups of everything (just in case)
5. Download the full OTA image onto the device
6. Boot into TWRP
7. Wipe dalvik cache
8. Flash OTA
9. Reboot to system
10. Flash custom kernel (optional)
11. Flash Magisk (optional)
12. Flash Xposed (optional)
13. Reboot
14. Done!

I'm aware some of my steps may be unnecessary, but I did them anyway since it was my first time using this method to update, so I just wanted to be cautious :)
I think step 9 is incorrect. Once you boot system. Phone reboots. But TWRP is gone. You have to reinstall via fastboot.

G

Reactions: rickysidhu_

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's always the first Monday of the month. That has not occurred yet.
    I'm running stock rooted with magisk. Can I take the OTA and then re-root it again? or I have sideload or is there a different process? thanks

You can unrooted completely, then side load the OTA, or, fastboot the factory image with the -w removed from the flash-all.bat file, then just flash twrp and magisk again when finished. I personally don't like going the OTA route, this is my method every month for updating if you want to have a look :good:
    Ok Mr. Tech man :cool: But seriously, you can actually flash the OTA zip in twrp without any problems??? I'm just kinda stunned because I've never read that before. Enlighten me my friend :good::laugh:

yea, it flashes just like any other rom.zip.. remember, ur bl is unlocked lol no sig checks or any reason for it to not flash in twrp..

i just went from aosp to April ota in twrp.. i usually just flash the ota, then twrp then flash kernel, reboot then flash magisk..

just like anything tho make sureu got subs disabled if u dont plan to wipe
    I do not think so.. taken from the same link you posted..

'This has the same effect as flashing the corresponding factory image, but without the need to wipe the device or unlock the bootloader.'

Yeah....kinda figured that's the way it should work. What the hell, I'll find out for myself in the next day or so. Thanks to all for helping an OTA noob. I've never actually taken one in the past 5 years!! Odin and Fastboot have been my friends ??
    ...But we still dont have a fully functioning twrp . and i dont think its gonna decrypt the new security patch

it takes 2 seconds to turn off security while u update lol..
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone