Maybe a stupid question about Verizon Pixel 2's and rooting

Search This thread

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
That's not why there are no roms. Stock is quite sufficient for the majority of users of the Pixel 2 XL OG. Remember we've always had the Google version that was unlocked.

All you can expect at this point is a kernel or two, some ad blocking, and some other little mods. The days of the Nexus, Galaxy, and Samsung multiple roms is over.

But the upside is you have one of the best devices on the market. Enjoy it and don't sweat the root.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Reactions: srp365

XDAUser1234

Sep 5, 2014
Quebec City
I'm curious about this also, I'm thinking of picking up a Verizon model from Best Buy very soon. I'm pretty sure the Pixel I get will come out of the box with a months old firmware, so will I be able to take the OTA's in successive order and stop at .013 and then unlock the bootloader? Or will one large update get pushed that takes me straight to .018?

I did not put in my sim or connect to my wifi, downloaded the 8.1 file from google, and pushed it using ADB to the phone =) So, didnt take any OTAs and once I had 8.1 installed, unlocked the bootloader!

Reactions: orbitalcomp

srp365

May 3, 2014
DFW
eQwaG9YE9tVwbqZ

4cJb535AyY3UkNW

Still unlocked. So far, so good.

Last edited:

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Ahh....but having ready a little more, it seems I need to get to 8.1 before the unlock trick works, and it came still on 8.0. Soooo, need to get to 8.1, but NOT to the latest version that just came out. Pointers? Going to keep reading through multiple threads!

EDIT:
Woohoo!
--Sideloaded 8.1 (thank you for including the version number! I almost side-loaded the LATEST version which would have locked it down)
--Followed steps on page 1 to unlock using ADB and fastboot flashing lock_critical

THANK YOU!

Well done, very well done.

isaacgaretmia

Aug 8, 2011
Guys, i still have the .013 update, but the commands aren't working. Fastboot complains that my device is already locked. Any ideas?

Edit: earlier in the thread it seems this was only confirmed for the pixel 2, not XL, so I'm SOL.... Sorry to bother y'all.

C:\Users\Solis Knight\Downloads\platform-tools>fastboot flashing unlock_critical

FAILED (remote: Flashing Unlock is not allowed

finished. total time: 0.004s

C:\Users\Solis Knight\Downloads\platform-tools>fastboot flashing lock_critical
FAILED (remote: Device already : locked!)
finished. total time: 0.003s

Last edited:

HACK3DANDR0ID

May 25, 2017
New Jersey
I read that the now dropping latest update, your findings got patched. So if you want to unlock or aren't sure about unlocking, DONT UPDATE!

con4n007

Jan 1, 2014
I did not put in my sim or connect to my wifi, downloaded the 8.1 file from google, and pushed it using ADB to the phone =) So, didnt take any OTAs and once I had 8.1 installed, unlocked the bootloader!

Quick question, how do you sideload it using adb? I thought you cant flash the image if you arent rooted yet.
Any link for tutorial?

thenoname

Aug 22, 2010
This is probably a dumb question, but will rooting via Magisk wipe my phone? I already unlocked the bootloader.

XDAUser1234

Sep 5, 2014
Quebec City
tried to go back through a dozen or so pages but didnt see anything that stuck out. If i stayed AS-IS after sideloading the last working version to unlock the bootloader, then rooted...whats the best steps to sideload the OTAs and do I have to go in order or just jump to February?

pyroscott

Apr 16, 2011
St. Cloud
Awesome! Thanks for helping us all out!

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

What version of Android are you on? What we've found is that you must have a VZW phone, and be on 8.1 for the command to work. We also know that the command works with December and the January OTA. What we're looking to find out is if the new out of cycle January OTA (that was released 1/18/18) patches the command from running. I have a feeling it does, while else would it be pushed out-of-cycle. A little more information found here... https://9to5google.com/2018/01/18/google-pixel-2-receiving-new-out-of-cycle-android-8-1-ota-update/ The new out-of-cycle update will put your phone at level OPM2.171019.016

Sorry, just saw your reply. My phone had taken the out of cycle update mere hours before I tried to unlock.

However, as it turned out, my phone screen stopped working, so I just got a replacement from Verizon this afternoon. Before popping in a SIM, or connecting to wifi, I tried to unlock and was successful. The replacement phone was on android 8.0.0, the September 5, 2017 security patch. OPD3.170816.012

I'm pumped I was able to get it to work.

thibadude

Feb 17, 2011

MrBeers2232

Feb 23, 2018
Would it be possible to modify the .bin in an OTA sideload for a root? Am I missing a key point in how this works? Or is it just, no one's done it yet?

The problem is they hash the .bin file for integrity. A hash is a random string of characters that is calculated by using the original data from the .bin file. If one bit is changed, the hash string is different. The phone/device verifies the file by calculating the hash before it installs.

It's true that you could modify the hash with the .bin to trick the device into installing it, but a lot of the time the hash is also encrypted. Knowing Verizon, they probably spared no expense making sure you couldn't root your phone. I'm guessing it was hashed with SHA-256 and encrypted with RSA.

Cracking a hash is not impossible, but with the encryption in place it's near impossible.

Edit:
Wow... Post #437... I'm sure your question was answered by now... my bad.

Last edited:

iridium7777

Jan 6, 2018
What's the point of having unlocked bootloader and not rooting? I did that and my Google pay and other ass stopped working, the only way to fix was to root.

alienware777

Jan 11, 2010
What's the point of having unlocked bootloader and not rooting? I did that and my Google pay and other ass stopped working, the only way to fix was to root.

They detect that its unlocked and therefore stop. Once you root with magisk you can fool some of the detection so it thinks you are still fully stock locked/unrooted.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
One thing you can do with an unlocked bootloader is flash a full factory image if you so desire. You can also flash zip files such as kernels that can bypass the Google Pay and SafetyNet checks. So you really don't need to root in order to get GP to work.

---------- Post added at 07:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 AM ----------

They detect that its unlocked and therefore stop. Once you root with magisk you can fool some of the detection so it thinks you are still fully stock locked/unrooted.
See above. You do not need root or Magisk to pass Safetynet. If you root you will need Magisk.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Would it be possible to modify the .bin in an OTA sideload for a root? Am I missing a key point in how this works? Or is it just, no one's done it yet?

Edit: I guess it just took a passion and a situation. See thread for unlock.

Edit Part 2: Electric Boogaloo: Just a quick recap of what's happened here. From the bootloader screen on my Pixel 2 (Walleye) I ran the
    Code:
     Fastboot flashing lock_critical
    command, which then gave me a menu asking if I really want to lock it, or unlock it, I clicked unlock, and here we are. So far, only @zinchalk has confirmed this working. I would love for more people to try this out on their Verizon Pixel 2's and come back with the results. This was either the weirdest fluke of all time, or the best mistake Verizon has ever made. Either way, I hope it works for you :)

Edit 3: Well there's the January Patch This looks like it 'fixes' the bypass.
    Correction: Nevermind, nothing is confirmed yet. And the people have decided there is no way this could be patched that quickly.

Edit 4: I'm seeing way too many people posting about bricked phones. Please don't do this UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I cannot live knowing that someone ruined their phone with this method. Please be safe.
    @SoloTSi97 has confirmed this does work on the January 5th security patch!

Edit 5: There it is, we have people confirming the Verizon OTA being pushed this late January is patching the fastboot unlock method. Keep this in mind down the road guys.
    Holy smokes. We know it works, enough already. What a bore fest.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Oh let them have their fun, every confirm is a good thing.
    Final Update

So that worked. Currently rooted with TWRP on my Verizon Pixel 2. Spread the word, or don't.
    I'll come right out and say it.... I don't care one bit about the security implications this exploit revealed. If someone has stolen my phone, then the last thing I am worried about is how easy or hard it is for them to bypass FRP. My phone is gone and it's not coming back either way.

It feels like we're all worried about something in theory but it doesn't have any practical effect. Let's just enjoy the benefits of it as device owners who have the right to do whatever we want to a product we own... Before it's too late and gets patched.

I think the people afraid of the implications are actually more afraid for companies than themselves. I can say with 99% certainty, because this was released and is not public information, someone is getting fired. Which may lead to stricter lock procedures. Or (for what i'm hoping) Verizon will give up on locking bootloaders. But it's really up in the air right now
    What are the (if any) downsides to doing this? I don't plan to flash a new rom or anything, but I don't want to lose the opportunity to in the future. Does this open me up to security holes? Is there a way to save my data so after unlocking I still have everything?

Edit: Also, how much time do I have to do this? Is this something that Verizon/Google can fix without me knowing? Or would I need to take an OTA update for it to be fixed?

Edit 2: A more general question: Does the Pixel 2 do OTA updates automatically or will I be prompted to have it update? In other words, if Verizon pushes an update in the middle of the night, will my phone automatically update?

You can use the backup feature on the pixel 2 to reload your apps and settings.

Rooting always exposes you to some level of security risk, but so does driving a car. Hasn't stopped me from doing either.

You can take as much time as you need to decide if you want to do this, but if you update past the December security patch, there is no guarantee you can get it to unlock.

OTA updates will still be pushed to your device, but will not relock your bootloader.

Correction:
    They will fail to install automatically if you have root. You will have to side load from the Google OTA repository online.