Maybe a stupid question about Verizon Pixel 2's and rooting

Search This thread

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
It's gonna be fixed. If you unlock it now though, i doubt they'll relock it with an update.
That is probably correct. Once unlocked I've not seen a relock forced update. Even depixel8. This is quite interesting.. we just need some more testing and confirms. Like updates, patches, etc. Eyeballs on this thread for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Reactions: 250 or Point 65

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Just tried. Relocking works, and it goes back to the state it was before. Unlocking via the same method works. oem unlock does not.

You can try yourself if you want

I will give you credit, you for guts to try relocking but great info.

It's gonna be fixed. If you unlock it now though, i doubt they'll relock it with an update.

I really doubt it too. A relock will wipe it, can you imagine the outcry, fines and class actions if the wipe phones remotely. Not gonna happen.

But I bet if you try and relock again after they fix it, it stays locked.

So, I can also confirm that it works on 8.1 verizon pixel 2 (non-XL) but I'm having trouble rooting it. Using the skipsoft tool, I get an error when attempting to install superSU, any ideas?

Use Magisk. It works great and passes safteynet.

aholeinthewor1d

Aug 19, 2010
Am I wrong in thinking this is no different than the Pixel 1? Lots if people randomly got phones from Verizon that were able to be unlocked. Some people thought it was related to the SIM which was disproven. Basically some just slipped through the cracks. Is this different?

mamarcac

Sep 29, 2016
For the life of me I cannot get adb or fastboot to recognize my Pixel 2. What am I missing? I installed Android SDK fresh tonight, added the Google USB Driver. Windows 7 Pro recognizes Pixel 2. Even turned off and manually entered Fastboot mode. Nothing. I don't get it, any suggestions?

Nevermind, I'm an idiot - had to manually point to the directory for Windows to use the right driver

Last edited:

Spaniard85

Jul 16, 2010
I'll toss my name in the hat as well as having a VZW Pixel with an unlockable bootloader. I'm on my 3rd VZW Pixel 2 XL. The first device was purchased from a corporate brick-and-mortar location, and I was able to get a brand-new device as a warranty exchange from that same store. This device, however, is a warranty replacement ordered by an employee in that store. It came as a standard warranty replacement affair, on its own in a box without the original packaging.

I discovered this topic this evening, and lo and behold, my "OEM unlocking" option was NOT greyed out. I now have an unlocked bootloader. I'll be looking to flash TWRP and magisk here in a bit.

UPDATE: I was able to successfully flash TWRP and magisk. Good stuff guys!

Last edited:

mamarcac

Sep 29, 2016
Me too!

+1. My Verizon Pixel 2 non-XL is now running TWRP 3.2.1, currently setting 'er back up as a brand new phone. Took more work than I planned for (haven't used adb/fastboot since the Galaxy S3) but in the end made it. Thanks for much for everyone's input and sharing in this thread. Been a fun day!

Unlock Success

I can also confirm this method works on my Verizon Pixel 2 running 8.1 (12/05/2017 security patch).
seItey8gx3zwXIsW2
kpOqxrPG89eatb972

3jglgOkUNQKUbrpn2

7bNt5nFnoemNZEHd2

Last edited:

abs0lute

Jun 20, 2007

mamarcac

Sep 29, 2016
I bought online thru Verizon website on Black Friday and also confirmed tonight this method works. I'm on 8.1 December 5 security patch and have TWRP installed with an unlocked bootloader now!

Reactions: MishaalRahman

dodendemise

Feb 9, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Posted on the XDA Portal! https://www.xda-developers.com/verizon-google-pixel-2-bootloader-unlock/ GET IT WHILE IT LASTS

Just to be sure (there's 9 of you guys claiming success), but you all bought it from Verizon right? You guys didn't all get a refurbished model after sending one in for repair? They didn't just send you a regular model?
Mine was brand new from the store. I ordered online but picked up in store, so it was from the stores stock.

Reactions: MishaalRahman

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Would it be possible to modify the .bin in an OTA sideload for a root? Am I missing a key point in how this works? Or is it just, no one's done it yet?

Edit: I guess it just took a passion and a situation. See thread for unlock.

Edit Part 2: Electric Boogaloo: Just a quick recap of what's happened here. From the bootloader screen on my Pixel 2 (Walleye) I ran the
    Code:
     Fastboot flashing lock_critical
    command, which then gave me a menu asking if I really want to lock it, or unlock it, I clicked unlock, and here we are. So far, only @zinchalk has confirmed this working. I would love for more people to try this out on their Verizon Pixel 2's and come back with the results. This was either the weirdest fluke of all time, or the best mistake Verizon has ever made. Either way, I hope it works for you :)

Edit 3: Well there's the January Patch This looks like it 'fixes' the bypass.
    Correction: Nevermind, nothing is confirmed yet. And the people have decided there is no way this could be patched that quickly.

Edit 4: I'm seeing way too many people posting about bricked phones. Please don't do this UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I cannot live knowing that someone ruined their phone with this method. Please be safe.
    @SoloTSi97 has confirmed this does work on the January 5th security patch!

Edit 5: There it is, we have people confirming the Verizon OTA being pushed this late January is patching the fastboot unlock method. Keep this in mind down the road guys.
    Holy smokes. We know it works, enough already. What a bore fest.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Oh let them have their fun, every confirm is a good thing.
    Final Update

So that worked. Currently rooted with TWRP on my Verizon Pixel 2. Spread the word, or don't.
    I'll come right out and say it.... I don't care one bit about the security implications this exploit revealed. If someone has stolen my phone, then the last thing I am worried about is how easy or hard it is for them to bypass FRP. My phone is gone and it's not coming back either way.

It feels like we're all worried about something in theory but it doesn't have any practical effect. Let's just enjoy the benefits of it as device owners who have the right to do whatever we want to a product we own... Before it's too late and gets patched.

I think the people afraid of the implications are actually more afraid for companies than themselves. I can say with 99% certainty, because this was released and is not public information, someone is getting fired. Which may lead to stricter lock procedures. Or (for what i'm hoping) Verizon will give up on locking bootloaders. But it's really up in the air right now
    What are the (if any) downsides to doing this? I don't plan to flash a new rom or anything, but I don't want to lose the opportunity to in the future. Does this open me up to security holes? Is there a way to save my data so after unlocking I still have everything?

Edit: Also, how much time do I have to do this? Is this something that Verizon/Google can fix without me knowing? Or would I need to take an OTA update for it to be fixed?

Edit 2: A more general question: Does the Pixel 2 do OTA updates automatically or will I be prompted to have it update? In other words, if Verizon pushes an update in the middle of the night, will my phone automatically update?

You can use the backup feature on the pixel 2 to reload your apps and settings.

Rooting always exposes you to some level of security risk, but so does driving a car. Hasn't stopped me from doing either.

You can take as much time as you need to decide if you want to do this, but if you update past the December security patch, there is no guarantee you can get it to unlock.

OTA updates will still be pushed to your device, but will not relock your bootloader.

Correction:
    They will fail to install automatically if you have root. You will have to side load from the Google OTA repository online.