Maybe a stupid question about Verizon Pixel 2's and rooting

Search This thread

dobbs3x

Dec 25, 2010
Eugene, OR
What's the point of having unlocked bootloader and not rooting? I did that and my Google pay and other ass stopped working, the only way to fix was to root.
I like it for future proofing. Like always in a couple years Google will stop supporting the pixel 2 with updates so having an unlocked bootloader gives you peace of mind to flash custom ROMs later if needed. Or if any Google updates start slowing the device down you can flash a more optimized slim rom and get performance back.

alienware777

Jan 11, 2010
One thing you can do with an unlocked bootloader is flash a full factory image if you so desire. You can also flash zip files such as kernels that can bypass the Google Pay and SafetyNet checks. So you really don't need to root in order to get GP to work.

---------- Post added at 07:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 AM ----------

See above. You do not need root or Magisk to pass Safetynet. If you root you will need Magisk.

Ok I'll bite, but you completely ignored his comment asking why his question of why google pay stopped working. Why did his google pay stop working then, if it did not detect the bootloader unlock? And why did root+magisk safteynet pass cause it to start working again?

Fenny

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 28, 2007
F(x)tec Pro1-X
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Ok I'll bite, but you completely ignored his comment asking why his question of why google pay stopped working. Why did his google pay stop working then, if it did not detect the bootloader unlock? And why did root+magisk safteynet pass cause it to start working again?

You can modify the kernel cmdline to make SN pass with an otherwise stock kernel binary.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
That's an easy one. Because the root + magisk modified the stock kernel. I did address his question. He couldn't pass SafetyNet while merely unlocking the bootloader. You need a kernel too. But you don't need root. You see, SN will detect a bootloader unlock. However, when you flash a kernel that is patched (and nothing else), that kernel fools SN somehow and your system will pass the SN check thus allowing GP to work. Make sense?

alienware777

Jan 11, 2010
You can modify the kernel cmdline to make SN pass with an otherwise stock kernel binary.

That's an easy one. Because the root + magisk modified the stock kernel. I did address his question. He couldn't pass SafetyNet while merely unlocking the bootloader. You need a kernel too. But you don't need root. You see, SN will detect a bootloader unlock. However, when you flash a kernel that is patched (and nothing else), that kernel fools SN somehow and your system will pass the SN check thus allowing GP to work. Make sense?

Ah cool guys. Thanks for the info. :good:

Also, sorry I was on my phone and missed the first part of your post where you did actually reply to him LOL

Reactions: bobby janow

iridium7777

Jan 6, 2018
thanks for all the replies. i have the verizon version of the phone, i unlocked it, rooted it and then was annoyed at all the error pop-ups that you get and along with trying to patch some apps (some of the patches dont' work, such as the ADT alarm), so eventually i restored to stock. i haven't taken any updates since early january so i can still unlock my phone but i wonder if i want to live with those annoyances again, trying to figure out where to get patched kernels, trying to sideloads OTAs and going through re-root again only to be able to keep the phone in 2 years, which i'm not sure i will anyways.

i think i just answered my own questions on whether i should take the update without unlocking my phone again :)

Budske

Apr 11, 2010
Hello, sorry to revive an old post, just wondering, i have the latest update for my verizon pxl 2 xl, can i unlock it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ozzy0708

Nov 15, 2015
I assure ya right now you can. I just got a Pixel 2 XL from Verizon (switched from the Pixel 2) and you simply boot it up first time without a SIM card in, skip EVERYTHING, enable Dev options, check if OEM unlocking enabled (don't panic, shouldn't be), power off the phone, put SIM in, factory reset and then setup with your acct and go to OEM unlock. Shouldn't be greyed out anymore. That's what I did and it worked fantastically.

mamarcac

Sep 29, 2016
I assure ya right now you can. I just got a Pixel 2 XL from Verizon (switched from the Pixel 2) and you simply boot it up first time without a SIM card in, skip EVERYTHING, enable Dev options, check if OEM unlocking enabled (don't panic, shouldn't be), power off the phone, put SIM in, factory reset and then setup with your acct and go to OEM unlock. Shouldn't be greyed out anymore. That's what I did and it worked fantastically.

Did you share this with the thread here? https://xdaforums.com/pixel-2-xl/how-to/true-verizon-pixel-2-xl-unlocked-t3763443

Lots of people would be interested as it was determined that the Verizon P2XL bootloader cannot be unlocked. Unless Verizon shipped you a Google phone instead of Verizon one, which has been known to happen.

copythat

Jun 25, 2018

This worked for me, thanks a bunch dude.

mattie_49

Feb 4, 2010
Seymour Tn
OnePlus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro
Used my upgrade today Aug 25 and firmware says OPM2-171019 and system telling me Android P is ready to download. Over 1000 mb . If I have plans to unlock bootloader to do as I please . Am I a fool to upgrade or should I just be patient. I'll wait here for answer . Please and thanks beforehand

enzyne

May 4, 2007
Montana
Used my upgrade today Aug 25 and firmware says OPM2-171019 and system telling me Android P is ready to download. Over 1000 mb . If I have plans to unlock bootloader to do as I please . Am I a fool to upgrade or should I just be patient. I'll wait here for answer . Please and thanks beforehand

is it .013 or .016?

mattie_49

Feb 4, 2010
Seymour Tn
OnePlus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro
Here it is

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180825-222731.png
    Screenshot_20180825-222731.png
    127.6 KB · Views: 158

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Would it be possible to modify the .bin in an OTA sideload for a root? Am I missing a key point in how this works? Or is it just, no one's done it yet?

Edit: I guess it just took a passion and a situation. See thread for unlock.

Edit Part 2: Electric Boogaloo: Just a quick recap of what's happened here. From the bootloader screen on my Pixel 2 (Walleye) I ran the
    Code:
     Fastboot flashing lock_critical
    command, which then gave me a menu asking if I really want to lock it, or unlock it, I clicked unlock, and here we are. So far, only @zinchalk has confirmed this working. I would love for more people to try this out on their Verizon Pixel 2's and come back with the results. This was either the weirdest fluke of all time, or the best mistake Verizon has ever made. Either way, I hope it works for you :)

Edit 3: Well there's the January Patch This looks like it 'fixes' the bypass.
    Correction: Nevermind, nothing is confirmed yet. And the people have decided there is no way this could be patched that quickly.

Edit 4: I'm seeing way too many people posting about bricked phones. Please don't do this UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I cannot live knowing that someone ruined their phone with this method. Please be safe.
    @SoloTSi97 has confirmed this does work on the January 5th security patch!

Edit 5: There it is, we have people confirming the Verizon OTA being pushed this late January is patching the fastboot unlock method. Keep this in mind down the road guys.
    Holy smokes. We know it works, enough already. What a bore fest.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Oh let them have their fun, every confirm is a good thing.
    Final Update

So that worked. Currently rooted with TWRP on my Verizon Pixel 2. Spread the word, or don't.
    I'll come right out and say it.... I don't care one bit about the security implications this exploit revealed. If someone has stolen my phone, then the last thing I am worried about is how easy or hard it is for them to bypass FRP. My phone is gone and it's not coming back either way.

It feels like we're all worried about something in theory but it doesn't have any practical effect. Let's just enjoy the benefits of it as device owners who have the right to do whatever we want to a product we own... Before it's too late and gets patched.

I think the people afraid of the implications are actually more afraid for companies than themselves. I can say with 99% certainty, because this was released and is not public information, someone is getting fired. Which may lead to stricter lock procedures. Or (for what i'm hoping) Verizon will give up on locking bootloaders. But it's really up in the air right now
    What are the (if any) downsides to doing this? I don't plan to flash a new rom or anything, but I don't want to lose the opportunity to in the future. Does this open me up to security holes? Is there a way to save my data so after unlocking I still have everything?

Edit: Also, how much time do I have to do this? Is this something that Verizon/Google can fix without me knowing? Or would I need to take an OTA update for it to be fixed?

Edit 2: A more general question: Does the Pixel 2 do OTA updates automatically or will I be prompted to have it update? In other words, if Verizon pushes an update in the middle of the night, will my phone automatically update?

You can use the backup feature on the pixel 2 to reload your apps and settings.

Rooting always exposes you to some level of security risk, but so does driving a car. Hasn't stopped me from doing either.

You can take as much time as you need to decide if you want to do this, but if you update past the December security patch, there is no guarantee you can get it to unlock.

OTA updates will still be pushed to your device, but will not relock your bootloader.

Correction:
    They will fail to install automatically if you have root. You will have to side load from the Google OTA repository online.