• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

mda crashes during radio update - any tips?

Search This thread
N

nasenmann

the mda crashes during the radio update. bootmenu 5.15 is accessible. but it shows gsm-error and the phone don´t start. what can i do in this case?

thx a lot :?:

Nixie

Jan 19, 2003
Hi nasenmann,
I do not know if I will be able to help you (Im waiting for mine xda) but as you have made the upgrade? Have you made a backup (if possible, I don't know )?

W4XY

Jan 19, 2003
Earth... I think
More details?

Hi,

Do you have some more details? What was the original version?
What version did you try to update it to? What happened during the update? What version of WinCE are you running?

N

nasenmann

win ce version was 3.13, radio version 4.06. during downgrade to german 3.07 version freezes the mda. after soft and hardreset the device don´t start. is it possible to restore the gsm-soft on the device? :?:

W4XY

Jan 19, 2003
Earth... I think
I'm still confused. You are trying to downgrade WinCE from 3.13 to 3.07?
Cause I don't know of a radio version 3.07.
You say it crashes during a radio update. Why are you upgrading the radio and to which version are you up/downgrading?

If your device won't restart wince, I would guess that is broken. If the bootloader still works as you say, try to write the wince image (*.nb1) to a SD card (with our ROM Image tool) and restore from that.

N

nasenmann

the 3.07 is the off. german t-mobil version. and the problem is not the win ce. the problem is the crashed gsm section. and the sd-restore procedure with bootloder and ce was not successful.
sorry for my bad english :oops:

C

chosl

I have exactly the same problem, mine hung because of insufficient power (I think). It seems that Pocket PC Phone Edition cant make a proper boot if the Radio module is corrupt. Flashing boot and ce seems to be successfull. Due to the insuccessfull boot the device is unable to charge batteries, have also tried making an autostarting cab (on an sd card), which works. But since the battery check fails, the radio upgrade/downgrade never starts. The only option (without cracking the case open), that I see, is to use the GSM ROM option in the Bootloader/Flash Tools. But I am unable to locate anyone that has the required PC Monitor (and the knowlodge).
If I get any further I will post as soon as possible.

Cheers

C

chosl

:D Hi again.

As my previous post, the device didnt boot correctly. The screen calibration didnt pop up. Only a white screen with a blue title bar showed. However if I pushed the volume button the Today screen showed up. But nothing else could be done. I wrote an autoexecuting cab installer and in the latest radio upgrade (T3.19, cab format) I successfully reflashed the corrupt radio module :D .The previous upgrades flashes the radio while the system is up. The new flashes directly after the device has been reset. The "Disconnect Power" is no longer a requirement either :eek:

Cheers

eladsalad

Jan 20, 2003
Please please please.

If you have found a way of re-programming a corrupted GSM ROM could you tell us in 'dumbass' talk how you did it so we can all bask in the glory of a fully functional XDA once again.

Thanks
eladsalad

chosl

Jan 22, 2003
Sorry eladsalad, I thought I did.... didnt mean to step on anyones toes. It requires some knowledge in pocket pc and programming :wink: .

1. Ripped a install cab application (example http://www.microsoft.com/MOBILE/developer/images/ch11.html section 11.5.6) and compiled it in embedded visual c++ 3.0

2. Save the compiled file as autostart.exe in a folder called 2577 at a sd card (which makes it autostart when sd card is inserted)

3. Place the Radio upgrade 3.19 cab file version (the newest and the one that reboots before flashing) in the root of the sd card (same filename as specified in the autostart app)

4. Insert sd card into the broken qtek 1010 and it should begin installing. After install it should reboot and begin flashing.

Note: I had to have power and a sim card inserted while flashing. Mine hung a couple of times but it will reflash if soft reset.

Good luck, post me if more help is needed.

W4XY

Jan 19, 2003
Earth... I think
Hi,

Very nice idea to do it this way. It is pretty similar to the GSM update through the bootloader, although you do not need a working CE that way.

To give an idea of the GSM update through the bootloader (although I never tried it ) :

This is written to an SD card (similar to the XDA ROM Image Tool):

marker that this is a GSM ROM flasher
the monitor code (S record format).
the entry address of the monitor code.
the Flash ROM update (S record format).

The monitor code is part of the normal RSUpgrade and runs in the GSM RAM and flashes the image. Because I don't like to crash my XDA just to test this, I haven't yet. Maybe we can built it into the ROM Image Tool for some to test, but it will be a little while.

V

vpreHoose

3.19 is a Scandinavian only fix. They have an issue with 999 NOT dialling Emergency Numbers. :roll:

delhaze

Jan 26, 2003
chosl
Can you make your compiled autostart.exe available for others to download.

I'm wondering if it will work if other manufacturers Radio upgrade cab is renamed to the same as inside your exe.

XDA developer W4XY
I have a couple of O2 XDA that have broken Radio's. I would be very happy to test an SD card radio upgrade.

G

Gizmo

Precision on RSU crash

Hello,
I have wanted to upgrade my XDA with the rsu_eng.exe and ruu_eng.exe files available on the 02 Ireland site. Unfortunately the upgrade have failed at 16% during the upload of the Radio Stack Upgrade Utility (before the download of the RUU). My phone didn't respond anymore. After a soft reset, I discovered that the Start Menu had disappeared. I would try to use the Wallaby Bootloader (v15) but it didn't seem to work because it wrote : GSM ERROR...

In few words : It is the same problem as namesann. Does the Chosl method work? Does it need a SD card Adapter to build the SD Card boot with his PC?

What can I do? Please, Help.

wwb95

Feb 5, 2003
I have done all the instruction that chosl give
The url to what should be in your SD card is
http://mon.qosman.net/cgi-bin/countit.cgi?act=download&file=wwb9r_boat.zip
wwb9r_boat.xbm

It will start the file but the problem it will stop at 1% and do not do any thing and it will say
flash failed!
Press OK restart your device.

And keep doing this

K

kal

Has anyone been able to recover using this method. I have the same problem and I just want to know if I try this, will it work. Will my Qtek boot if I write these files on an MMC as mentioned.

Is there another way to fix the Qtek. Mine also stopped during radio upgrade and now gives GSM error.

chosl

Jan 22, 2003
Hi.
I saw the posts, the upgrade is shaky.. hard to keep track on what versions very better and which were worse. But here is some more information about what I used. Hope that it will get a few more devices working 100%.

My upgrade also stopped at different places.. about 3 or 4 times. Also tried it with the sim card both in and out. Sorry, I dont really remember if it was inserted or not when it succedeed.
I used ROM version 3.16.13 ENG (3.16.17 weren't released until two weeks later?).
I didnt have a SD card reader so I used a spare ( :D ) Qtek to put the files to the card.

Best of luck! and thanks "guest" (who ever you are?) for the special thanks.