MDA PRO (NL) ROM upgrade + radio 1.04.02 upgrade!! (guide)

Did you upgrade your universal?

• Total voters
Search This thread

ramoray

Nov 16, 2005
Amsterdam
upgrade MDA Pro ROM

Hi guys,

As posted earlier I upgraded my MDA Pro (NL) with this baby: JASJAR_WWE_11353_137_10402

In order to install:
Exec ROM (Xda_Exec_LaunchROM_v113139.exe).

However, I still get the country ID error.

I am still curious how the Exec feels like, anyone some more usefull ideas?
I did try to install it several times, but it still gives the same error.

BTW, since a couple of days my device is showing a U icon, I believe this stands for UMTS. As I have a T-mobile subscription, I cannot image that they already have UMTS as it is planned for 2006 (see post Guido).

Anyone some more info on that? Do you need to configure/pay/subscribe anything to use the UMTS?

Thanks,

Ramoray

gpsenzo68

Sep 30, 2005
UMTS

Enjoy UMTS because T-mobile has released it!

So you are right at being one of the first to use it.

gpsenzo68

Sep 30, 2005
bohr2005 said:
gnuijten said:
tempelier245 said:
Thanks guido.... I'll take the risk.... but how did you get the umts on your mda because the info I got said that umts on a t-mob network will be available from 2006

Will you go for the Exec or the Jasjar upgrade?

Concerning UMTS; I'm test/beta using it for T-Mobile NL. Officially it will be launched in 2006. I'll keep you informed about the progress.

Video Calling isn't yet supported on the MDA, but the data connection is! Topping at 340 Kbps, which is pretty fast for a mobile device ;)

Cheers,
Guido

Hi There,

From today i noticed that I have an UMTS connection on my MDA PRO. I have flashed my MDA pro with anouther rom. UMTS is working fine. Making a videocall is not successfull. Do you have any tips to make it work or is it not supported by T-mobile

Its not yet supported!

daniel.eriksson

Nov 17, 2005
www.digitex.se
no response, but heres how i did.

Expansys told me that i would not be valid for the warranty if i "upgrade" from qtek to imate.
So i returned the qtek and bought an imate instead.
When i have it i will upgrade it to hopefully receive vodafone 3g support.

br
daniel eriksson

mmazroui

Nov 15, 2005
Dubai
Re: MDA PRO (NL) ROM upgrade + radio 1.04.02 upgrade!! (guid

gnuijten said:
Hi guys!

First of all my very atmost gratitude to all people bringing the right knowledge to this forum! It has given me a lot of ways to tweak and upgrade my MDA Pro (Universal). Thanks again. I upgraded my MDA pro in 30 minutes to the latest iMATE WWE + radio 1.04.02!!

Main benefits for me: built-in SKYPE (that works), MS voice command works (1.5), Pocket MSN

Since it took me a while collecting all relevant info for upgrading and tweaking my MDA pro, i wanted to share my experiences with you and let you know how i finally managed everything. Also because some posts contain outdated info about the upgrade process. So here we go:

UPDATE MDA PRO (NL) -> iMate Jasjar WWE + radio 1.04.02
----------------------------------------------------------------------
First of all get the right files from:
ftp://xdaupload:xda@ftp.xda-developers.com/Universal

Get the files:
* JASJAR_WWE_11353_137_10301.exe
(from /Universal/Shipped%20ROM/JASJAR_WWE_11353_137_10301/)

and the file:
* UNIVERSAL - JASJAR - Radio Version 1.04.02.rar
(from /Universal/)

- Unpack both files into a directory.
- Unplug universal (MDA pro) from USB
- In activesync, under connection settings, disable USB en COM connections
- Put MDA pro in bootloader by pressing LIGHT button + Power + RESET
(you can see USB vaguely on your screen, since you don't have backlight on)
- Connect MDA pro on USB; Windows will recognize new USB device
- Launch the file from the WWE update: MaUpgradeUt_noID.exe
- Preform the upgrade (this process takes about 15 to 20 minutes)
(I didnt get any country error here as some described earlier, it went smoothly)
- After it finishes, do not disconnect the MDA pro and DO NOT reset it. Immediately preform the next upgrade:
- Run MaUpgradeUt_noID.exe from the radio 1.04.02 directory
- This will take about 10-15 minutes
- After it finishes, disconnect from USB and give cold reset: POWER + reset
- You'll see the new iMATE splash screen, and then the Windows Mobile screen (first boot will take some time)
- Then the device will ask to first-setup and you're IN!

I did NOT have to install anything from the extended ROM, as others posted. The only thing i needed to do after upgrade was:
* Make new 'GPRS, 3G' connection for T-mobile, using the settings: APN: internet, user/pwd: tmobile

Then I deleted my old partnership on the ActiveSync, and activated USB and COM connections again, and synchronised my device! Et voila!!!

Then I installed my previous apps (see tip list on end of posting) and made the essential registry tweaks to my device, which can be found on:

http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=Universal_Registry

Alrighty, hope this will bring the same smile to your face as it did on mine ;)

Take care,
Guido

---------------------------------------
Some other tips I'd like to share:
* install Microsoft Portrait v2.3 for audio/video conferencing!! On GPRS is works better then skype for me! Audio is perfect, video connection (even at lowest settings) scrambles the audio a bit!
* Magic Button is top app!
* VNCviewer does a sweet job on the VGA screen (terminal services works fine too, but doesn't go fullscreen)
* of course Tomtom 5.1 + checkpoint 5.02 and/or POIedit
* Resco File explorer + Registry editor (must have!)
* Upgrading to Skype 1.2 beta did not work for me, stick to the default one!

May I ask what will be the advantage of having 1.04.02? any improvments or just an upgrade!

gnuijten

Nov 11, 2005

mmazroui said:
May I ask what will be the advantage of having 1.04.02? any improvments or just an upgrade!

For me it was just an upgrade. Supposedly should be more stable. And I must say I did not experience any issues on that. Also WIFI holds a stable connection, and multiple bluetooth connections go fine!

cheers,
Guido

gnuijten

Nov 11, 2005
Re: no response, but heres how i did.

daniel.eriksson said:
Expansys told me that i would not be valid for the warranty if i "upgrade" from qtek to imate.
So i returned the qtek and bought an imate instead.
When i have it i will upgrade it to hopefully receive vodafone 3g support.

br
daniel eriksson

Would be sweet. Keep us posted on that one. Good luck!

Guido

gnuijten

Nov 11, 2005
Re: UMTS

gpsenzo68 said:
Enjoy UMTS because T-mobile has released it!

So you are right at being one of the first to use it.

Correct! T-Mobile has opened the UMTS doors!

Some tips:
- The video calling function has to be activated seperatly at the T-Mobile helpdesk
- T-Mobile NL is charging €0,50 per minute for videocalling
- Yes, it is included in the 'Pocket Internet Totaal bundel' in NL
- In combination with Internet Pocket Totaal, the UMTS bandwith is narrowed to 64 KB (but since the Universal doesn't support the 3,5G function, this is an excellent speed! Theoretical till 512Kbits, but I clocked is on 340 Kbits thus far, giving me enough mobile speed! ;)

Enjoy!

Take care,
Guido

gnuijten

Nov 11, 2005
Re: upgrade MDA Pro ROM

ramoray said:
In order to install:
Exec ROM (Xda_Exec_LaunchROM_v113139.exe).

However, I still get the country ID error.

I am still curious how the Exec feels like, anyone some more usefull ideas?
I did try to install it several times, but it still gives the same error.

BTW, since a couple of days my device is showing a U icon, I believe this stands for UMTS. As I have a T-mobile subscription, I cannot image that they already have UMTS as it is planned for 2006 (see post Guido).

Anyone some more info on that? Do you need to configure/pay/subscribe anything to use the UMTS?

Hi Ramoray,

Did you try it with the MaUpgradeUt_noID.exe (copy it to the exec install dir and run it)? That should do the job. Sometimes only the 2nd run goes well.

And yes, T-Mobile UMTS is released for usage!

Enjoy!
Guido

daniel.eriksson

Nov 17, 2005
www.digitex.se
imate

Hi guys,

so, i received the imate, reinstalled with the new firmware.
Still got the same issue.. But when i changed the "work" settings to the same as the MY isp setting, it finally worked out.
So i guess the qtek would have worked, but not with the latest firmware. (because of the warranty issue i would not have upgraded the qtek)
so i think the $100 was still worth it.

Thanks!

br

daniel

gnuijten said:
* JASJAR_WWE_11353_137_10301.exe
(from /Universal/Shipped%20ROM/JASJAR_WWE_11353_137_10301/)

- Unpack both files into a directory.

Hi

I am a little confused about the above, the file: JASJAR_WWE_11353_137_10301.exe from shipped roms is not an unpackable archive?? Its an exe that displays an upgrade gui for the JasJar. I.e there is no way to independantly run MaUpgradeUt_noID.exe from it.

I see a file in /Universal called File: JASJAR_WWE_11353_137_10402.rar I assume that this is the same beast in a rar format? I know the FTP site for trashed after this thread started so I suspect things are no longer in the same place.

Update: The file mentioned above: JASJAR_WWE_11353_137_10402.rar has three nbf files CE, Radio and extended. No idea of the specific versions from each. I guess I only want the CE rom from this, I guess this is the one named: nk.nbf given that the ms.nbf is only 10MB ??

Nigel

gnuijten

Nov 11, 2005

veletron said:
I am a little confused about the above, the file: JASJAR_WWE_11353_137_10301.exe from shipped roms is not an unpackable archive?? Its an exe that displays an upgrade gui for the JasJar. I.e there is no way to independantly run MaUpgradeUt_noID.exe from it.

I see a file in /Universal called File: JASJAR_WWE_11353_137_10402.rar I assume that this is the same beast in a rar format? I know the FTP site for trashed after this thread started so I suspect things are no longer in the same place.

Update: The file mentioned above: JASJAR_WWE_11353_137_10402.rar has three nbf files CE, Radio and extended. No idea of the specific versions from each. I guess I only want the CE rom from this, I guess this is the one named: nk.nbf given that the ms.nbf is only 10MB ??

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

You are correct; go for the rar one. Then run the MaUpgradeUt_noID.exe from that directory. And I would recommend keeping all upgrades (the 3 nbf files). Worked like a charm for me!

Cheers,
Guido

psteel

Oct 9, 2005
Bedfordshire
Really sorry for this but could someone post a full upgrade and file list PLEASE...

I have a MDA Pro (t-mobile) and am VERY worried about upgrading it since I've heard many Brick stories..Can you summarise it please?

Are there any issues with the latest roms and do they really fix anything. I have various problems like missing icons from the Settings group etc..

Thanks
Paul

daniel.eriksson said:
I was able to unpack it. right mousebutton extract to here. (using winrar i think)
daniel

Just to confirm, you were able to extract the .exe file? this is the one in the shippedroms directory (there is no rar in the shipped roms directory). I know you can have self extracting zips, perhaps this is a self extracting rar file or somet - looks to me like somet more standard to windows tho - extracts a load of funny named files to c:\documents and settings\user\temp etc

I think perhaps you mean the rar file in the root (in \Universal)?? In which case the original instructions do not apply ;-) --> file has moved, and there is no guarantee that the rar now in /universal is the same as the rar that used to be in /universal/shipped roms (and was the subject of the original post!)

I dont want a door stop, which is why I am double-checking...

Nigel

tempelier245

Nov 14, 2005
Guido

Hmmmm installed the o2 rom without problems. Only when I want to connect to the internet I can only select wifi from the top bar.... I can get gprs to work but it took me quite a detour. I don't want to do that every time..... Is it possible to fix that. And how can I connect to umts ???

gnuijten

Nov 11, 2005

sebon

Nov 19, 2005
hello i would like to know if t s possible to install this rom iin a spv m 5000 from uk ?
regards seb