MDA Vario IV t-mobile "due date" thread.

imaginarynumber

May 3, 2007
London
Picked mine up from the hammersmith branch yesterday- they had 1 sitting instock for the last 3 days.

18 month contract- downgraded from flext 35 w W&W plus (about £42.50pm) to combi 30 w W&W plus (35pm) and £90 for the handset.

HooloovooUK

May 25, 2007
Well, I picked up my Vario IV last night.

The best retentions deal they could offer me was the same deal as the other day. But they did agree to let me have the same deal as a new customer Flext 35 including free WnW with 10% off making £31.50 per month, and £176 for the phone, which multiplied out over 18 months is actually cheaper than the retentions deal - what's that all about? I guess they don't make very good deals for customers that have only been on Flext 20 for the last 20 months ......

I should have walked really and waited for a better offer, but when it was sitting there in it's box in front of me, I couldn't resist!!

I thought I would hate the T-Mobile branding, but I actually quite like it. They've replaced the white and pink of the Vario II with a much more pleasing white and purple. Quite pleased so far ... loving Google maps and the built in GPS.

Last edited:

imaginarynumber

May 3, 2007
London
Strangely- when I walked into the store i was asked what price I had been offered. I told the truth but later asked if he would have known if I lied- he replied that he probably would have as he had never seen a subsidy of more than £300 on a handset. Me thinks I could have saved a little more if I had said £70 for example rather than the true £90.

I too am happy with the branding.

The only thing I miss is the screen size of my ameo- hey ho- atleast now i can make calls with out a headset...

scottytoo

Mar 4, 2006
Dee Dar land
Always toned, mate. Always polite to CS. After all, they are peoples too and just happened to pick up the phone.

What irks me is paying over £x p.a. to a co. who can't seem to ensure that all CSR's read from the same hymn sheet, who can't ensure that all CSR's read the intranet in the morning to avail themselves of updates, etc. What really really irks me is that some CSR's don't actually give a choot and try to shine one on with the first line of chuff that enters their tiny mind. It's a waste of time all round. I've got a limited amount of time to sort out the minutiae of business, what I don't need is to have to put aside 2 or three hours to make half a dozen+ calls in the hope that I get through to the diligent one. The one who's on the ball and understands that they are there to take money off me for their employers as smoothly as possible ;)

p.s. I'm not flirting with some Welsh geezer to get a phone. Uh uh, no way :eek:
It appears i need to swallow some pride... All the flirting got me no where. (thankfully no welsh geezer)

Lovely peeps at customer relations but still won't lower cost from £92.75 on 18month contract. Very disappointed.

They won't even price match against vodaphone or O2 who are offering this on a £35 18 month tarrif and i get the device foc. I guess that's a no brainer.

It appears loyalty don't get you goodies.

My gripe is i've had no discounts on tariff since i joined back in 1998, and all i read and see is come along new customer and get money off but go away old loyal dog unless you want to part with more cash.

If i got voda i can choose touch pro, x1 by sony or ipaq messanger all free. my worry is not been able to use it as modem.:confused:

HooloovooUK

May 25, 2007
Lovely peeps at customer relations but still won't lower cost from £92.75 on 18month contract. Very disappointed.
Well that's still better than the deal I was offered!

They won't even price match against vodaphone or O2 who are offering this on a £35 18 month tarrif and i get the device foc. I guess that's a no brainer.
It's a no brainer alright ... stay with T-Mobile. When I checked what I would get with O2 and Vodaphone for £35 per month, it wasn't anywhere near as good as Flext 35 with free WnW. In my opinion none of the other operators can beat T-Mobile tariffs for value for money.

compact_bijou

Nov 17, 2006
Absurdistan
my worry is not been able to use it as modem.:confused:
That's the only reason I'm sticking with t-mobile. I'm not a heavy user of HDSPA but I'm a regular user and when I use it, it's usually essential.

I can't be doing with going down the dongle route so until there's a new 12" laptop at a reasonable price with built in SIM slot which can access HD(U)SPA, I'll stick with tethering my mobile as a modem.

*goes back to waiting*

Basil3

Inactive Recognized Themer
Apr 4, 2008
Dublin
Went into my local store today. Signed up for 18 month flext 50 contract. Originally said he couldn't drop below £80 for the phone (even pulled out his special bit of paper he's 'not meant to show me' to make it look more authentic).

After a bit of bartering, he offered a free bluetooth headset worth £50.

After a bit more bartering, he offered the handset for £30.

I took it, happy with the phone :)

HooloovooUK

May 25, 2007
I'm obviously no good at bartering :-( My store, just like the retentions department, wouldn't budge. Well actually the store just called the retentions department on my behalf, they didn't appear authorised to make decisions on their own.

Maybe signing up the for the higher tariffs like Flext 50 gives you so much more leverage? Assuming you got the 10% off deal, over 18 months you're spending £243 more than me on the tariff, but I only spent £146 more than you on the handset, so I guess it all works out in the end. Over 18 months the most expensive handset with the cheapest tariff is usually the cheapest overall - so unless you actually use the extra allowances of the higher tariff it's a false economy to go for the cheaper handset.

dharvey4651

Retired Senior Moderator
May 11, 2007
Olathe, Kansas
forum.xda-developers.com
I scanned through a good bit of this thread but didn't see anything on the 1700Mhz Band. Does anyone know if T-Mobile's Vario IV will support the US 3G band as well?
I posted this same question a little while back(Post #335, 10 days ago) but got no response.

Does anyone here know whether or not this Version will have support for the 1700Mhz T-Mobile 3G?

imaginarynumber

May 3, 2007
London
not sure but looking through the settings on the UK varioIV only shows

gsm(900+1800) +UMTS(2100)
GSM(1900+850)+UMTS(1900+850)

So I guess that means no- not sure if upgrading the radio will allow it or not

Last edited:

dharvey4651

Retired Senior Moderator
May 11, 2007
Olathe, Kansas
forum.xda-developers.com
not sure but looking through the settings on the UK varioIV only shows

gsm(900+1800) +UMTS(2100)
GSM(1900+850)+UMTS(1900+850)

So I guess that means no- not sure if upgrading the radio will allow it or not
That's just a let down... I(being a T-Mobile Customer) was hoping that the T-Mobile variation of the Touch Pro would support all of their bands so I could at least get a taste of 3G...

Side note... Can someone please dump the following registry key and all entries within it from an MDA Vario IV and post it back here?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Comm\RasBook]

I would like to see if it contains AGPS Settings for T-Mobile.

imaginarynumber

May 3, 2007
London
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Comm\RasBook\t-mobile internet ? There are 2 keys DevCfg and Entry

I only have the phm reg and the key is an awfully long binary- if you show me how to then i will post back... far too long to manually copy

regards

dharvey4651

Retired Senior Moderator
May 11, 2007
Olathe, Kansas
forum.xda-developers.com
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Comm\RasBook\t-mobile internet ? There are 2 keys DevCfg and Entry

I only have the phm reg and the key is an awfully long binary- if you show me how to then i will post back... far too long to manually copy

regards
Thanks but now I need 2 different keys dumped off the T-Mobile MDA Vario IV.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\SUPL AGPS]
(all entries)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\SUPL AGPS\DefaultSetting]
(all entries)

Please use Ce Reg Editor to dump the keys and then upload the CeReg file. That's probably the easiest way to do it.

Thanks.

Dan

Last edited:

imaginarynumber

May 3, 2007
London
Hope that this is what you wanted- there is no defaultsetting listed

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\supl]
"ServerPort"=dword:00001C6B
"ServerIP"="10.1.101.XXX" have deleted last part of ip address
"QosPerformance"=dword:00000059