MediaPad M2 8.0 OTA update to Marshmallow released!

Search This thread

Demianis

Mar 31, 2012
Hello,
Is it ok to update via the update function on the device, even the mediapad has unlocked bootloader and twrp?

Are there any precautions?

Thanks

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-801L using XDA-Developers mobile app

5m4r7ph0n36uru

Apr 23, 2014
MD5: 91497e1b11f2262d0d8ff0aa7a164f3b
Hello,
Is it ok to update via the update function on the device, even the mediapad has unlocked bootloader and twrp?

Are there any precautions?

Thanks
An OTA update always ships with a new firmware as well. I'm running, and ran, a lot of devices, using TWRP. This I'm really sure that it still is admit always has been: TWRP won't be able to flash the firmware part. Sometimes the ROM update part can be flashed using TWRP, but in general a stock recovery and stock untouched system image unneeded to update through the build in update functionality.

Sent from my htc_pmeuhl using XDA Labs

Reactions: Demianis

Demianis

Mar 31, 2012
An OTA update always ships with a new firmware as well. I'm running, and ran, a lot of devices, using TWRP. This I'm really sure that it still is admit always has been: TWRP won't be able to flash the firmware part. Sometimes the ROM update part can be flashed using TWRP, but in general a stock recovery and stock untouched system image unneeded to update through the build in update functionality.

Thanks a lot for the helpful information.
So i'll find a way to prepare myself ?
It's actually the first time in 5 years, that I end up with a device where there's no custom rom available.

omaga

Jul 22, 2007
Nothing found so far, I have looked for the image too but nothing...hope to find it, or we get the OTA update soon.

toxic_garden

One guy in a german forum posted, that he got the update yesterday. So we are maybe not far away.
http://www.android-hilfe.de/thema/android-6-0-update-huawei-mediapad-m2-8-0.802720/
as he wrote that he had the korean b019 installed before, this sadly gives no clue about the release in other regions. :\
So the options are being patient and hope that the rollout will continue soon. Oooor....just put the korean version on my tab (which hopefully has english language sets anyways), fetch the update and up it to my GDrive. Oh the struggle....

Mxplorer

Jan 8, 2015
Yangon
Ah... So Korean or Japanese...
I live in Myanmar and the internet here is so crappy terrible.. Won't be able to download the big files anytime soon.. Would love to test it. :/
But think of how happy you would make us all by being able to upload it to gdrive :eek: ;)

Last edited:

NikolajDS

Sep 20, 2016
Oooooh I hope that they have added multi users and the Screen Pinning feature, which is a Lollipop feature, that they for some reason also have removed.

toxic_garden

hmm....i am bit shy to install the downloaded asian rom since i got the Wifi only version (m2-801w) of the tab and all b019-roms i can find are for the LTE version (801l). Anyone knows a download location for 801w b019?

[edit] nevermind, found it on needrom. Just downloading...

Last edited:

toxic_garden

So here we are: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B765h62rQ81INUp0WHVvUFh5VzA

Steps i took, coming from a rooted 5.1.1 (version CUST<something>D003 i think)
- download 5.1.1 Asia release B019 from needrom (M2-801w-V100R001C233B019.zip)
- extract all img files with Huawei Extractor to a dedicated folder
- uninstall superSU
- fastboot to bootloader
- fastboot flash system, recovery and boot img from the extracted file
- reboot
- launch Update Tool
- be scared by some weird asian Update Notes
- install anyway
- success

after installation, the system language is still set to german (as it was on my tab before), so there seems to be no need to work through korean menus for setting the localization back. :)
You can surely skip those steps above and put the update.zip directly into your /dload folder or on the external sd card, but remember that you need a stock rom for it to work. If you tempered /system or had some custom recovery, you should fastboot flash the extracted img files directly.

_sT2PUU3sY4ty4kOX46-SR2DaG-nxDo16mqctqKlaGqu5JsZkDekPK7R2wo02NSqJErNxIWVJFDroy0zJ3W2Sg=w1920-h1061-rw

ZQQYOi1QJRdko6R-3QfdvvYGB6ovHmxO7sdKgz_Alu7YI3iDFZ3LokgGHlpuESqDo616ohT4Prn02uPGWiYHSA=w1920-h1061-rw

Mxplorer

Jan 8, 2015
Yangon

- uninstall superSU
- fastboot to bootloader
- reboot
- launch Update Tool
- install anyway
- success

after installation, the system language is still set to german (as it was on my tab before), so there seems to be no need to work through korean menus for setting the localization back. :)
You can surely skip those steps above and put the update.zip directly into your /dload folder or on the external sd card, but remember that you need a stock rom for it to work. If you tempered /system or had some custom recovery, you should fastboot flash the extracted img files directly.

_sT2PUU3sY4ty4kOX46-SR2DaG-nxDo16mqctqKlaGqu5JsZkDekPK7R2wo02NSqJErNxIWVJFDroy0zJ3W2Sg=w1920-h1061-rw

ZQQYOi1QJRdko6R-3QfdvvYGB6ovHmxO7sdKgz_Alu7YI3iDFZ3LokgGHlpuESqDo616ohT4Prn02uPGWiYHSA=w1920-h1061-rw

MAN you rock!!! Great job!!!
Shame its not 801L :D but great job! thanks for sharing

MoRRLiNsS

May 14, 2014
Dobrich

- uninstall superSU
- fastboot to bootloader
- reboot
- launch Update Tool
- install anyway
- success

So just download the zip and local update ? Im on stock 801-w no modifications

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

- uninstall superSU
    - fastboot to bootloader
    - reboot
    - launch Update Tool
    - install anyway
    - success

Thanks a lot for the helpful information.
    So i'll find a way to prepare myself ?
    It's actually the first time in 5 years, that I end up with a device where there's no custom rom available.

i won't find the time today, but i think i might play around a bit with those foreign Firmware installations tomorrow and see how far i get. I really love this piece of hardware, but 5.1.1 is just way outdated and i strongly hope that 6.0 also boosts the overall speed a bit.
    Has anyone tried this one?

ministryofsolutions.com/2016/12/huawei-mediapad-m2-801l-marshmallow-b205-full-firmware-europe-emui4-0.html
    (copy paste this in your browser url address field)

It is supposed to be European M2-801L version B205