• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.

Mediatek Helio P10 Development (Porting guides, bug fixes and more)

bigrammy

Apr 8, 2011
huddersfield
I don't actually know the answer to that. I can see it mentioned in my kernel dmesg.log file but unsure if it's my stock ROM or the port ROM.

The device is a Vertu Aster P Chinese clone. This one - https://www.luxuryvertu.cn/ProID473.html
I would of thought such a device would not use mobicore :confused:
Look in your stock boot.img ramdisk for trustonic.rc and see if it mentions mobicore

bigrammy

Apr 8, 2011
huddersfield
I've had a look at the init.trustonic.rc of my stock unpacked boot Ramdisk folder and yes it does use Mobicore.
Hmm that may make it difficult to port as there is very little info regarding mobicore. It does use keys etc so you may need those from the stock ROM also.
All my Sony Mediatek devices and I think the Mediatek HTC's also use mobicore and None of these devices have fully working Port ROM's mostly broken Ril even if you manage to fix sound etc etc and to do that the kernel needs re compiling. :(

Reactions: chris8189

chris8189

Jan 17, 2016
Hmm that may make it difficult to port as there is very little info regarding mobicore. It does use keys etc so you may need those from the stock ROM also.
All my Sony Mediatek devices and I think the Mediatek HTC's also use mobicore and None of these devices have fully working Port ROM's mostly broken Ril even if you manage to fix sound etc etc and to do that the kernel needs re compiling. :(
Firstly, what exactly is Mobicore, what does it do, and can it possibly be 'edited out' of the init.trustonic.rc script?

bigrammy

Apr 8, 2011
huddersfield
Firstly, what exactly is Mobicore, what does it do, and can it possibly be 'edited out' of the init.trustonic.rc script?
See here when the site is working properly as it seems to be down just now. https://www.trustonic.com/solutions/asset-lifecycle-protection-service-for-mobile-operators/
From what I understand mobicore is a intermediate between the Arm code and user world code allowing or not allowing access based on some sort of key system.
ALP's = asset life cycle protection make of that what you will I guess it depends on what level of protection the OEM set eg block some things or block everything. :confused:
So to get rid of it completely you would need to do a top down rebuild of the ROM.

Last edited:

chris8189

Jan 17, 2016
See here when the site is working properly as it seems to be down just now. https://www.trustonic.com/solutions/asset-lifecycle-protection-service-for-mobile-operators/
From what I understand mobicore is a intermediate between the Arm code and user world code allowing or not allowing access based on some sort of key system.
ALP's = asset life cycle protection make of that what you will I guess it depends on what level of protection the OEM set eg block some things or block everything. :confused:
So to get rid of it completely you would need to do a top down rebuild of the ROM.
Thanks for that explanation. Interesting! What is intriguing is the fact that the ROM I wish to port is from another Chinese replica Vertu; namely the 'Constellation X'. Now I would have thought that if they have bothered building Mobicore into the ROM on my phone, they would have done the same with the (very similar, albeit Android Nougat) ROM on the Constellation X. However there is no Trustonic file in the Ramdisk on the port ROM.

bigrammy

Apr 8, 2011
huddersfield
Thanks for that explanation. Interesting! What is intriguing is the fact that the ROM I wish to port is from another Chinese replica Vertu; namely the 'Constellation X'. Now I would have thought that if they have bothered building Mobicore into the ROM on my phone, they would have done the same with the (very similar, albeit Android Nougat) ROM on the Constellation X. However there is no Trustonic file in the Ramdisk on the port ROM.
They (OEM's) pay extra for trustonic/mobicore which is why I very was surprised they used it in your ROM most just use Mediatek's tee trust implementation.
Maybe they fully cloned Vertu's ROM too some how :laugh:
What SoC do Genuine Vertu phones use.?

chris8189

Jan 17, 2016
They (OEM's) pay extra for trustonic/mobicore which is why I very was surprised they used it in your ROM most just use Mediatek's tee trust implementation.
Maybe they fully cloned Vertu's ROM too some how :laugh:
What SoC do Genuine Vertu phones use.?
The genuine Vertu Aster P has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 SoC.

The Chinese manufacturers of replica Vertu's (there's only 3) obviously buy the genuine Vertu and then reverse engineer absolutely everything. From the outer housing to the software, even the weight. So having the genuine and the replica side by side; it's very hard to tell the difference. Unless you know what you're looking for. Like I do, being a Vertu enthusiast for many years, having owned both genuine Vertu's and replica's.

Chris

Last edited:

bigrammy

Apr 8, 2011
huddersfield
The genuine Vertu Aster P has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 SoC.

The Chinese manufacturers of replica Vertu's (there's only 3) obviously buy the genuine Vertu and then reverse engineer absolutely everything. From the outer housing to the software, even the weight. So having the genuine and the replica side by side; it's very hard to tell the difference. Unless you know what you're looking for. Like I do, being a Vertu enthusiast for many years, having owned both genuine Vertu's and replica's.

Chris
Ok
Maybe the faker's tried to stop other fakers faking their phones :laugh: :laugh:
It's a mad world we live in nowadays. :eek:

chris8189

Jan 17, 2016
Ok
Maybe the faker's tried to stop other fakers faking their phones :laugh: :laugh:
It's a mad world we live in nowadays. :eek:
Certainly is!

I'm gutted that I can't port a Vertu clone ROM to a Vertu clone. Absolutely nuts. I honestly thought it would have worked without much hassle.

Chris

bigrammy

Apr 8, 2011
huddersfield
Certainly is!

I'm gutted that I can't port a Vertu clone ROM to a Vertu clone. Absolutely nuts. I honestly thought it would have worked without much hassle.

Chris
Is the stock rom google certified ie you can use playstore and install google app's without issues?
If so then it would be better to make your own AOSP based custom Stock ROM which is what I do with my Sony Devices.
So I remove all the Sony stuff which I do not use and does not break the ROM and add google's replacments like launcher, messages, dialer, wallpapers, keyboard, file manager, etc, etc
Sadly the MM 6.0 Dialer is not supported (Updated by Google) where as on my XA with 7.0 the Dialer gets updated by google as well as those above. :D
This keeps the ROM updated and looking fresh in my experience.
I did this for my XA (mt6755) and my XA1 (mt6757)
https://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-xa/development/7-0-n-stock-rom-f3111-modded-android-t4020987

chris8189

Jan 17, 2016
Is the stock rom google certified ie you can use playstore and install google app's without issues?
If so then it would be better to make your own AOSP based custom Stock ROM which is what I do with my Sony Devices.
So I remove all the Sony stuff which I do not use and does not break the ROM and add google's replacments like launcher, messages, dialer, wallpapers, keyboard, file manager, etc, etc
Sadly the MM 6.0 Dialer is not supported (Updated by Google) where as on my XA with 7.0 the Dialer gets updated by google as well as those above. :D
This keeps the ROM updated and looking fresh in my experience.
I did this for my XA (mt6755) and my XA1 (mt6757)
https://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-xa/development/7-0-n-stock-rom-f3111-modded-android-t4020987
Yes, the stock ROM is Google certified. I have the Playstore and can install apps no problem at all.

What I do have an issue with though is the fact that this is a new phone and should be running Android 9.0 Pie, much the same as the genuine Aster P. I was lied to about the specs of this phone.

I thought it would be relatively easy to port over the Vertu Constellation X (replica) ROM which happens to be Android 7.1 Nougat.

Why they didn't just make the software replica identical to the genuine phone, I have no idea.

bigrammy

Apr 8, 2011
huddersfield
Yes, the stock ROM is Google certified. I have the Playstore and can install apps no problem at all.

What I do have an issue with though is the fact that this is a new phone and should be running Android 9.0 Pie, much the same as the genuine Aster P. I was lied to about the specs of this phone.

I thought it would be relatively easy to port over the Vertu Constellation X (replica) ROM which happens to be Android 7.1 Nougat.

Why they didn't just make the software replica identical to the genuine phone, I have no idea.
Ok can you break down what you want to achieve.
1. Which device and specs you have and it's firmware version.
2. Device, specs & firmware version of the ROM you wish to use. (Port to your's)

chris8189

Jan 17, 2016
Ok can you break down what you want to achieve.
1. Which device and specs you have and it's firmware version.
2. Device, specs & firmware version of the ROM you wish to use. (Port to your's)
1. I have a Vertu Aster P replica which has an MT6755 SoC. I don't have the firmware file name version that's on my phone, but I have the build ID: alps-mp-m0.mp7-V1_gionee6755.66.m_P143

From googling the firmware build of my phone, it appears that what the Chinese replica masters have done is take the ROM from a 'Gionee S9', and then customise it with the Vertu themes, boot animation, Vertu's own apps etc. Both the Gionee S9 and my Vertu replica have the Marshmallow Android 6.0 ROM and have the words 'gionee6755_66_m' in their build. Too much of a coincidence I'd say. This might also explain why my ROM has Mobicore, with it being a Gionee ROM (i.e. a legit manufacturer).

2. The device that I want to port a ROM from is a Vertu Constellation X replica with an MT6750 SoC. Firmware version is Vertu_Constellation_X_MT6750_01152018_7.0

Both my stock ROM and the port ROM have 'alps' in their firmware build ID by the way.

Chris

Last edited:

bigrammy

Apr 8, 2011
huddersfield
1. I have a Vertu Aster P replica which has an MT6755 SoC. I don't have the firmware file name version that's on my phone, but I have the build ID: alps-mp-m0.mp7-V1_gionee6755.66.m_P143

From googling the firmware build of my phone, it appears that what the Chinese replica masters have done is take the ROM from a 'Gionee S9', and then customise it with the Vertu themes, boot animation, Vertu's own apps etc. Both the Gionee S9 and my Vertu replica have the Marshmallow Android 6.0 ROM and have the words 'gionee6755_66_m' in their build. Too much of a coincidence I'd say. This might also explain why my ROM has Mobicore, with it being a Gionee ROM (i.e. a legit manufacturer).

2. The device that I want to port a ROM from is a Vertu Constellation X replica with an MT6750 SoC. Firmware version is Vertu_Constellation_X_MT6750_01152018_7.0

Both my stock ROM and the port ROM have 'alps' in their firmware build ID by the way.

Chris
Hi Chris,
Ok 7.0 > 6.0 wont work I am afraid :( There is just too much of a step up.
Gionee is interesting though and searching it seems you have already hunted around.
Gionee and BLU share devices it seems and the closest match I could find was the Vivo 6 and Pure xr but I cannot find the kernel source for these phones :(
This folder has a lot of BLU kernel source code HERE Note the Vivo Air is a Gionee kernel too but the devices that would be of most interest are missing. Maybe you could do a bit more google time to see if you could track them down even email BLU for them.
If we can find the Kernel source there maybe a chance of upping it N 7.0

chris8189

Jan 17, 2016
Hi Chris,
Ok 7.0 > 6.0 wont work I am afraid :( There is just too much of a step up.
Gionee is interesting though and searching it seems you have already hunted around.
Gionee and BLU share devices it seems and the closest match I could find was the Vivo 6 and Pure xr but I cannot find the kernel source for these phones :(
This folder has a lot of BLU kernel source code HERE Note the Vivo Air is a Gionee kernel too but the devices that would be of most interest are missing. Maybe you could do a bit more google time to see if you could track them down even email BLU for them.
If we can find the Kernel source there maybe a chance of upping it N 7.0
Thanks very much for this! At least now I know it wouldn't have worked anyway!

I've emailed Blu this morning, asking if they could provide the kernel sources for the Pure XR and Vivo 6. From looking around on XDA, as well as that Mega folder you linked to, it appears that they are pretty forthcoming with providing kernel source code for their devices.

Interestingly, the TWRP that I have on my phone is for the Blu Pure XR.

When I first got this device, I was desperate to get TWRP recovery on, and knowing fine well that there wouldn't be a TWRP already made for this phone, I thought the Blu Pure XR TWRP would be near enough. So with some help, I ended up with a ported TWRP for my phone!

Reactions: bigrammy

bigrammy

Apr 8, 2011
huddersfield
Thanks very much for this! At least now I know it wouldn't have worked anyway!

I've emailed Blu this morning, asking if they could provide the kernel sources for the Pure XR and Vivo 6. From looking around on XDA, as well as that Mega folder you linked to, it appears that they are pretty forthcoming with providing kernel source code for their devices.

Interestingly, the TWRP that I have on my phone is for the Blu Pure XR.

When I first got this device, I was desperate to get TWRP recovery on, and knowing fine well that there wouldn't be a TWRP already made for this phone, I thought the Blu Pure XR TWRP would be near enough. So with some help, I ended up with a ported TWRP for my phone!
Hi lets hope they give you something. :fingers-crossed:
I noticed that this Aster reports to have Android 8.1 :confused: HERE not sure how true that is or if it's the same as yours.