General Mekede M500s Review

Search This thread

DexterMorganNL

Dec 1, 2010
Has vehicle alternator been checked, 14v is too high
No but the alternator should be fine: the voltage is always higher, when engine is running.

-1567641528-273572903.jpg

I got one of these as well, and use it to measure the voltage: it fluctuates between 14v and 15v actually, just once it reached 15v and the rest of the time it stay around 14.3v

A fellow Suzuki Celerio owner suggested, the interference might be high frequency interference. Which you can solve by placing a Ferrite ring, so I have ordered some of these as well.

838495875551360355.jpg

These things you used to find very commonly on electronics: I remember having these Ferrite rings, on cables from game consoles. So I'm going place it closely to the RCA connector, near the headunit.

And the Car Camera Filter, that one has to be removed: it makes things even worse. But this going be a long project, because delivery from AliExpress tends to take up to month sometimes.

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
No but the alternator should be fine: the voltage is always higher, when engine is running.

View attachment 5711273

I got one of these as well, and use it to measure the voltage: it fluctuates between 14v and 15v actually, just once it reached 15v and the rest of the time it stay around 14.3v

A fellow Suzuki Celerio owner suggested, the interference might be high frequency interference. Which you can solve by placing a Ferrite ring, so I have ordered some of these as well.

View attachment 5711275

These things you used to find very commonly on electronics: I remember having these Ferrite rings, on cables from game consoles. So I'm going place it closely to the RCA connector, near the headunit.

And the Car Camera Filter, that one has to be removed: it makes things even worse. But this going be a long project, because delivery from AliExpress tends to take up to month sometimes.
AC noise wont be seen on a DC meter..... you will need ALOT of ferrite chokes on wire to mask a problem....a better way to mask the vehicle problem is place inductors in video supply stream, head unit and at camera.

or fix the problem.

DexterMorganNL

Dec 1, 2010
AC noise wont be seen on a DC meter..... you will need ALOT of ferrite chokes on wire to mask a problem....a better way to mask the vehicle problem is place inductors in video supply stream, head unit and at camera.

or fix the problem.
It's probably coming from high frequency, could be the spark plugs or whatever. For sure isn't my alternator.... I don't know where you get the idea, that the voltage in a car can't be 14v?

So quite likely the interference isn't coming from the powersource, but from the engine or any kind of part of the car that is causing the RCA cable to pick up interference?

The idea is to place a ferrite ring just behind the RCA connection, at the headunit. Which hopefully should help, solve this interference.

They are designed to suppress high-frequency electronic noise in electronic circuits. And considering they are relatively cheap, I have ordered two from our Chinese friends at AliExpress.

I just have to attach it to the cable, so no need to remove the headunit or so. This cable is reachable lucky. My hope is these Ferrite rings can solve the interference, because the Car Camera Filter didn't do it.

Actually I also think now, the DC to DC step down converter might not be needed or help. But I have ordered one anyway, because again it's dirt cheap. I just have to try all of these, because there isn't a solution that works for all vehicles.

The GreenYi seller suggested the Car Camera Filter, but I didn't have a high expectation of it. So bought one that took long to receive, but saved me some money.

Last edited:

roti86

Oct 2, 2010
@DexterMorganNL which size of ferrite ring have you ordered for the RCA cable? I have a Suzuki S-Cross with just a little bit of interference on the reverse image (my back camera is grounded on the reverse light wire directly, not on the connector). I think this may help for me as well, but I will wait for your review before ordering :)

Ps.: Nice review, I have been using Mekede M300s in my car since Apr, beside some small bugs it is working fine.

DexterMorganNL

Dec 1, 2010
@DexterMorganNL which size of ferrite ring have you ordered for the RCA cable? I have a Suzuki S-Cross with just a little bit of interference on the reverse image (my back camera is grounded on the reverse light wire directly, not on the connector). I think this may help for me as well, but I will wait for your review before ordering :)

Ps.: Nice review, I have been using Mekede M300s in my car since Apr, beside some small bugs it is working fine.
I have ordered the 3.5mm, as the RCA cable isn't bigger than the. If I was you I would just order those already....

They are € 1,24 for two pieces and if you wait, until I received it: than you gotta wait quite sometime. Because shipping sometimes takes long, although I'm hoping they upgrade my shipping.

Because combined I order a totally of just over € 10 and than AliExpress, usually would collect your orders in a warehouse in China. And then send them in one package, with upgraded shipping ( usually AlliExpress Standard Shipping).

On the headunit I now have Carlink set to start automatically at bootup, because I have deep sleep disabled. And to be honest I'm finding it more convenient, to already set the route on my phone.

Start the car in one time, start driving and within half a minute Android Auto appears on my screen: no need to connect a USB cable, no need to touch the screen at start car link.

IMG_20220914_155601.jpg

And I'm trying out AGAMA Car Launcher, seems to work good. But the main point actually is kinda: the stock Launcher, is a bit messed up with the Frontapp. So I just like to try something else, even though I wouldn't see it anyway for most off the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: roti86

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
github.com
And I'm trying out AGAMA Car Launcher, seems to work good. But the main point actually is kinda: the stock Launcher, is a bit messed up with the Frontapp. So I just like to try something else, even though I wouldn't see it anyway for most off the time.

The displayed app in the display area is the following property that is set by the launcher originally to:
persist.launcher.packagename=com.google.android.apps.maps
The frontapp changes this to the packagename you select.

So I assume that when you make a config.txt with this same google maps line,
or an empty line like "persist.launcher.packagename="
you can change the default behavior again

Edit: Don't confuse this one with the default navi app proprty being "persist.sys.navi.packagename"

Last edited:
Reactions: DexterMorganNL

DexterMorganNL

Dec 1, 2010
The displayed app in the display area is the following property that is set by the launcher originally to:
persist.launcher.packagename=com.google.android.apps.maps
The frontapp changes this to the packagename you select.

So I assume that when you make a config.txt with this same google maps line,
or an empty line like "persist.launcher.packagename="
you can change the default behavior again

Edit: Don't confuse this one with the default navi app proprty being "persist.sys.navi.packagename"
I don't know, but this FrontApp thingy is kinda messed-up, so I thought the solution would be to change it to any kind of app. And yes that works, but still limited.

For example when I have Spotify displayed inside there, than its impossible to use it for Splitscreen. But I'm not sure if I like AGAMA Car Launcher either. Just it's way better developed than the stock launchers.

Solvin

Aug 31, 2015
I don't know, but this FrontApp thingy is kinda messed-up, so I thought the solution would be to change it to any kind of app. And yes that works, but still limited.

For example when I have Spotify displayed inside there, than its impossible to use it for Splitscreen. But I'm not sure if I like AGAMA Car Launcher either. Just it's way better developed than the stock launchers.

Try VIVID Car Launcher

DexterMorganNL

Dec 1, 2010
This headunit keeps surprising me: I have deep sleep switched off, so the time and date are sometimes wrong. Which was the case this morning..... so AGAMA Car Launcher refused to work. I have switched back to stock Launcher again. Basically it needs an internet connection to correct the time and date, or the wireless Android Auto would also correct it: as it's connected by WiFi.

Another annoying issue is Google Playstore: somehow apps aren't being updated and it stuck at "In behandeling" or in English in proces. Don't know what's the reason and after 10 mins or so, I decided to forget about it.

It worked again, and I let the unit do the updates while I removed the key from the car. By delaying the shutdown with 5 mins.

Last edited:

Tweak-NL

Aug 1, 2022
The wifi in these devices are really weird! Yesterday i came back from a vacation (Slovenia) and we drove with my car. So good time to see how the radio works with google maps all the way from NL to Slovenia. First i need to mention: The hotspot had problems on my motorola phone, and changing it to 5GHZ only was the solution. But before the vacation my bank card was not working anymore so i tried NFC on the motorola but hardware seems broken. So the phone is going back for repair (still warranty on it) i changed to a Oneplus 8 and changed hotspot to 5GHZ only. And it worked fine for a long time but when i stopped the car (after like 1000kms) for a short break the radio was again not able to find the hotspot :/ i tried everything! But nope not listed anymore. So i changed hotspot to 2.4GHZ and it directly was connected. So we drove all the vacation with the hotspot @ 2.4GHZ and no problems. Sometimes it dropped but it auto reconnected.

So i really dont know how this is possible? When i parked the car close to my house the radio connected to my home wifi (5GHZ) and works fine.. So what the??

Neogx

Jan 25, 2014
san
damn, I debating to get this or teyes for my sister's truck. I have a teyes cc3 and am nervous if this head unit will work okay for her instead of teyes . Also, i can get it delivered sooner than the teyes unit so that's a plus. Just worried if it'll have more bugs than teyes.I also didn't like how teyes lock down the firmware. I also noticed the problem with the rear camera did u fix that?

Neogx

Jan 25, 2014
san
damn, I debating to get this or teyes for my sister's truck. I have a teyes cc3 and am nervous if this head unit will work okay for her instead of teyes . Also, i can get it delivered sooner than the teyes unit so that's a plus. Just worried if it'll have more bugs than teyes.I also didn't like how teyes lock down the firmware. I also noticed the problem with the rear camera did u fix that? and do u still recommend it

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
damn, I debating to get this or teyes for my sister's truck. I have a teyes cc3 and am nervous if this head unit will work okay for her instead of teyes . Also, i can get it delivered sooner than the teyes unit so that's a plus. Just worried if it'll have more bugs than teyes.I also didn't like how teyes lock down the firmware. I also noticed the problem with the rear camera did u fix that?

They are all FYT units. Don't be fooled by a fake brand name

DexterMorganNL

Dec 1, 2010
The wifi in these devices are really weird! Yesterday i came back from a vacation (Slovenia) and we drove with my car. So good time to see how the radio works with google maps all the way from NL to Slovenia. First i need to mention: The hotspot had problems on my motorola phone, and changing it to 5GHZ only was the solution. But before the vacation my bank card was not working anymore so i tried NFC on the motorola but hardware seems broken. So the phone is going back for repair (still warranty on it) i changed to a Oneplus 8 and changed hotspot to 5GHZ only. And it worked fine for a long time but when i stopped the car (after like 1000kms) for a short break the radio was again not able to find the hotspot :/ i tried everything! But nope not listed anymore. So i changed hotspot to 2.4GHZ and it directly was connected. So we drove all the vacation with the hotspot @ 2.4GHZ and no problems. Sometimes it dropped but it auto reconnected.

So i really dont know how this is possible? When i parked the car close to my house the radio connected to my home wifi (5GHZ) and works fine.. So what the??
Sorry to hear this :( I tried Google Maps Cross-Border as well, because Android Auto isn't reliable then. But I had no issues at all with the WiFi hotspot set at 5Ghz.

The only reason my hotspot disconnected, was because I still had a limit set. So could there be something in your hotspot settings not correct?

I also noticed the problem with the rear camera did u fix that?
Still waiting on the Ferrite rings to arrive: I have ordered those, and a DC to DC step down converter. If it's really high frequency noise causing this interference, than I think the Ferrite rings could work.

I'm planning to put one at both ends of the RCA cable: one near the headunit, and one near the reverse light. Although I think it's unlikely, that it's picking up high frequency from there. I guess it comes from the engine, as it only happens when the engine is running.

Last edited:

Tweak-NL

Aug 1, 2022
Sorry to hear this :( I tried Google Maps Cross-Border as well, because Android Auto isn't reliable then. But I had no issues at all with the WiFi hotspot set at 5Ghz.

The only reason my hotspot disconnected, was because I still had a limit set. So could there be something in your hotspot settings not correct?

Still waiting on the Ferrite rings to arrive: I have ordered those, and a DC to DC step down converter. If it's really high frequency noise causing this interference, than I think the Ferrite rings could work.

I'm planning to put one at both ends of the RCA cable: one near the headunit, and one near the reverse light. Although I think it's unlikely, that it's picking up high frequency from there. I guess it comes from the engine, as it only happens when the engine is running.

Nope, hotspot settings are fine. I think it is because there is so many different phones and hardware?
But that does not explain why it worked fine for 1000kms on 5GHZ. Just found out Medeke has newer firmware on the website? I think i got this file name 7862-A11-wbt-7-8.zip and the new one is: 7862-A11-wbt-9-10.zip

Maybe there are some bug fixes in it? to bad there is no changelog. I already found out they made some changes in the config.txt

Last edited:

DexterMorganNL

Dec 1, 2010
Nope, hotspot settings are fine. I think it is because there is so many different phones and hardware?
But that does not explain why it worked fine for 1000kms on 5GHZ. Just found out Medeke has newer firmware on the website? I think i got this file name 7862-A11-wbt-7-8.zip and the new one is: 7862-A11-wbt-9-10.zip

Maybe there are some bug fixes in it? to bad there is no changelog. I already found out they made some changes in the config.txt
You could try so? In the general thread of UIS 7862 there is a Mekede firmware version, that has the fake Android version removed. But personally I don't care so much about updating the device.

I can't imagine it will bring much improvement: in worse case, it might even become worse. So I'm sticking with what ever firmware is running on my unit. Just want to replace the Car Launcher sometime.

screenshot.png

Perhaps this one? It's the only Car Launcher on Mario Dantes collection, that is label for API Level 29. And don't have this FrontApp, but what that car in the middle does do? I'm just a bit lazy, to plug in the USB stick and install it.

Because I'm not using the car a lot on the moment, that's why my unit would switch itself completely off after 3 or 4 days.

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
github.com
No. 7-8 is for 7" and 8" units. 9-10 is for 9" and 10" units. And then there is a multi-launcher version as well.
You simply need to download the correct one and check every x weeks to see if that same firmware has been updated. This requires your to unpack it.

And after it didn't work: Did you reboot your device? That can be very important. On every new connection the unit uses a new MAC-address and therefore gets a new ip-address.
If your hotspot on your phone is limited to max 8 ip-addresses (quite common default; check that on your phone) or even less and you had a few stops or interruptions, your hotspot can't hand out more ip-addresses. When you switched to 2.4 GHz the DHCP-pool had to be renewed giving again 4-8 free ip-addresses.
Please check that.
And otherwise: switch off the random MAC-addresses in your unit.

Newer firmware is not a solution here.

Edit: And if your wife, 5 children and 3 dogs each using their own phone on your hotspot, your DHCP-pool is even faster depeleted :D

Last edited:

Tweak-NL

Aug 1, 2022
No. 7-8 is for 7"and 8". 9-10 is for 9" and 10". And then there is a multi-launcher version as well.
You simply need to download the correct one and check every x weeks to see if that same firmware has been updated. This requires your to unpack it.

And after it didn't work: Did you reboot your device? That can be very important. On every new connection the unit uses a new MAC-address and therefore gets a new ip-address.
If your hotspot on your phone is limited to max 8 ip-addresses (quite common default; check that on your phone) or even less and you had a few stops or interruptions, your hotspot can't hand out more ip-addresses. When you switched to 2.4 GHz the DHCP-pool had to be renewed giving again 4-8 free ip-addresses.
Please check that.
And otherwise: switch of the random MAC-addresses in your unit.

Newer firmware is not a solution here.
Oh but i downloaded the firmware for the M300S this one is 8 inch. And now when i download i get the 9-10 zip. See the attachement wich radio i got. -> http://www.mekede.com/Software Download Address1/

You already explained about the ip adresses in a other topic, and i also said there that is not the problem.
When a DHCP table is full the phone cannot give anymore ip adresses. That has nothing todo with finding the hotspot in the wifi list, it should be there.

When the radio is off (bluetooth will disconnect) then also my hotspot will be turned off. So when you turn it back on all the leases are gone. And yes, after that 1000kms of driving i rebooted the radio and turned hotspot off and on but nope not listed. i even restarted the phone. And like i said when i came home from the vacation it still does not work. But it can find my home wifi @ 5GHZ and works fine.

This is really a weird problem. So i hoped maybe with new firmware that problem will be solved.

Edit: and on the radio i cannot find the settings to turn random mac adresses off.

Attachments

• radio.png
    radio.png
    294.7 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: surfer63

DexterMorganNL

Dec 1, 2010
I finally received the Ferrite Beads, and already attached them to both ends of the RCA cable. The 3.5mm fits perfectly on the RCA wire, and its easy to put them on.

IMG_20221006_144506.jpg

The photo isn't really sharp, but here is where I put Ferrite Bead just behind the RCA connector. Also I attached one, close to where the reverse light is located. Because I'm not sure where the "high frequency" noise/interference is coming from.

Not sure though if it works, because I'm stubborn and don't wanna start the engine unless I'm really going go for a drive. But I think these Ferrite Beads are my biggest chance, because I don't believe the voltage needs to be turned down.

If I'm not mistaken: these reverse camera's should be totally capable, to function with either 12V when ignition is on ON. Or 14V when, the engine is running. But I wasted some extra money for supporting China's economy, by ordering stuff I ain't going use.....

€ 2,41 53%OFF | 10pcs 2pin Quick Pluggable Splice Electrical Cable Wire Connector Crimp Terminals for 22-20AWG LED strip Car Wiring Connectors

Like these connectors, to put on wire's you wanna connect with each other. I decided not to use them, because it doesn't look reliable to me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    View attachment 5754019Hi guys,
    Does anyone know where in the menu I can make this "snowflake" button bigger? I remember that I found it once but now I don't know where.
    One more thing: can the font size be increased?
    Thanks!
    It’s an app, touch assistant or something similar. You can found it in apps
    If with battery camera is working fine then maybe is easier to run a single cable from headunit camera power to the back of the car.
    For the headlights I tried the led bulbs but I wasn’t satisfied with the result and finally changed the headlights with projectors and xenon hid. Way better results
    First impressions

The shipment from Poland was just two days, that was something I was very happy with. It came in a unbranded box, and with a little manual.

IMG_20220825_134139.jpg IMG_20220825_130101.jpg

Which I found very useful, even there is a lot of information in the general FYT UIS 7862 based headunits topic. I just like the idea of being able to read an manual, and for that reason it's currently inside my car.

The headunit before installing it in the car

Basically all 9 inch head-units look similar, and are having a universal form factor. That way I could atleast use the frame, from the EKIY D7: which I had only 3 weeks in my car, and I'm still trying to sell it. But atleast I got a partly refund from AliExpress, because of the fake Android version.

IMG_20220825_130421.jpg

In a way these head-units are just like tablets, so no wonder it looks like one as well. However this one has no silly blue colour at the edges, something the EKIY D7 had and during the hot weather it already had some discoloration.

IMG_20220825_134121.jpg

Then we have the back of the device: on the left are all the antennas. FM/AM, 5G WiFi, GPS and the 4G which I didn't install. Because it would require a SIM card, and already paying for mobile data on my phone. So instead I will create a WiFi hotspot, whenever I wanna use the internet.

On the top above the fan, you on the left the connection for the reverse camera video signal. Next to their are the ports for the USB dongles: there are three, I hooked one up straight to the cars original USB port.

Because I had the converter cable for that with the EKIY D7, and actually I have it connected as well to the headunit. But it seems not to be working, with my USB-C cable, and also the USB cable from the Viofo A119 dashcam didn't work.

So I'm guessing perhaps the USB port might only work, when setting the USB protocol to 1.1 instead of the current setting of 2.0 USB protocol. However I haven't tried that yet, as it would render the other USB dongles quite useless.

Because when I tried to change the USB protocol to 1.1 in the settings, it warned me that it would be limited to use for media only, just like how it was on the OEM Carradio. This USB port had been quite useless, so I never used it. I tried to connect my dashcam on it while the original car radio was still in the car. But that port didn't even provide enough power, to provide the dashcam for enough juice to run good. Since then I just have it plugged into a 12v adapter, with two USB ports that provide plenty of juice.

Back to the connector's above, the biggest one is for the fan and simcard dongle. I didn't find this particular useful, as it's a bunch of cable's I'm not using. It also contains the AUX and RCA audio connections, which I'm also not using....

So I had to bundle all these cables up with several cable ties, which was kinda a pain in the ass. As I had to do it in the car: I found it way easier, with the previous headunit. Which I only had to plugin the FM cable, GPS, Power cable and USB cables. Which I only could use one, because also on the unit the original USB port didn't work.

Below these connections, you have the Coaxial and Fiber optic connection option. However they are to no use for me, I didn't make any adjustments to the sound installation in my car. So everything goes through the harness. Which is the 16 pin connector on the right, the exact same that came with my previous unit. So I didn't need to bother to order it :D

User experience inside the car

I had the luck, that I had to drive about 300km's towards Frankfurt: the place where they mess up with our currency, and make it worth lesser than a dollar :(

But that gave me the chance to test the unit, especially the usage of Android Auto. Yes I know, why use Android Auto when you have a full functioning Android headunit? Well I will be getting to that in a bit.

IMG_20220826_165240.jpg

So here we have the homescreen: I thought the car launcher looks pretty cool, because in the upper right corner you have your Google Maps. It works exactly like tablet mode of Google Maps, so it's fully functional and you could just use it like that.

Below there on the right, is a music player widget: very nice if you get your MP3's illegally from the internet, and load them on the headunit. There is 64GB of storage, so it would be doable to store music locally.

However I stopped downloading illegal MP3 files, because ever since I have a mobile internet data subscription. I started to use Spotify, since a time we even have shared premium account together with my wife. So that music widget is useless, as it seems nit to be configurable with Spotify.

The clock in the left upper corner is actually fine, it shows the time and date: what more does a person want? And on the left down corners, you can configure four favourite apps. It's very easy to change, just hold the button and can select any app you want.

(Wireless) Android Auto

Using the Car Link app, it's very easy to connect to Android Auto. To my surprise it even works wireless, however your phone needs to support it as well. This is basically where the 5G WiFi proofs it benefits, because Android Auto uses 5G WiFi in order to have wireless Android Auto work.

IMG_20220903_124509.jpg

The downside of this though is, that WiFi in your headunit will be switched off: as it's being used by Android Auto. And after using Android Auto, it won't be turned back on automatically. So if you wanna use the WiFi for apps installed on the headunit, than you have to switch it back on by yourself after using Android Auto wireless.

Issues with wireless Android Auto

Another downside of wireless Android Auto is, that it might crash every once in a while: because even though the 5G WiFi frequency is used lesser, than the 2.4G frequency. Still there might be interference every once in a while.

For example: crossing the Dutch border to Germany, and the other way around. Both times Android Auto crashed, most likely because the mobile network get changed on that moment. The only way to reconnect in that case, is by closing Car Link and starting it again. Than the headunit will connect to your phone again, without breaking the law and taking your phone in your hand.

3-9-2022

I have figured out, that the main cause of making Android Auto crash: is because the mobile network is changed. Because I went across the border again, while using Android Auto.

Just after I crossed the border, the connection was loss and the mobile network changed to roaming. Than I just press the back button, which closes Car Link and after that start it again.

I wonder, if this could be automated by MarcroDroid. So far this only seems to be an issue when crossing borders, and ofcourse when the mobile network is changed.

Made a decision: wireless or wired AA?

Also keep in mind, while wireless connection is way more convenient than everytime you step in the car having to plug in a USB connector. On long journeys you might wanna disable the wireless option in Android Auto settings on your phone, because it seems you can't connected wired if you don't disable the wireless option.

Yesterday I tried connecting Android Auto wired, and I think it doesn't work: because there will be a conflict, the phone tries to connect wirelessly. While Car Link might be trying, to establish a wired connection. My wife got pretty irritated, when after a few mins Android Auto still wasn't connected.

So in the end I just disconnected the USB, started Google Maps on the headunit and drove off. Later I just started Android Auto wireless, without even once touching my phone.

But I'm finding wireless connection more convenient anyway: even though it takes a little bit longer, to establish the connection. Obviously wired is faster, when establishing the connection. And it won't suffer from any interference, by other wireless connections in the air. The crash at the border didn't happen, while I used wired Android Auto with the previous headunit.

Android Auto vs Google Maps

The main reason I prefer Android Auto, over native Google Maps on the headunit: is the fact that Google Maps runs in a tablet mode, which is fine for that little widget displaying Google Maps. But everything is very small and I can't see the instructions very well, as they are displayed at the bottom in a little green bar.

It took me awhile to actually figure out, where the navigation directions where being showed. Before I thought perhaps I simply had to update Google Maps, but that wasn't the case. Also nowhere to change this in the settings sadly.

Because it still keeps running in this tablet mode, where everything is very small. So that's not convenient, while using it in the car and trying to read the directions as showed by Google Maps.

Android Auto has none of these issues, so that's why I'm preferring Android Auto over native Google Maps on the headunit. It actually also has a part, where you can control Spotify. So that's very convenient while driving. And that shows why so many drivers, prefer Android Auto over built-in navigation inside their car.

I'm still considering though, trying another navigation app instead of Google Maps. Perhaps Waze? Or HereWeGo, just that I don't like that changes that navigation app underwent after they updated it. For example the Dutch voice, is a text to speech voice....

Sound

Don't underestimate the importance of sound on a Android head-unit: I did with the EKIY D7, which doesn't have a built-in DSP and the sound was horrible. One more reason it was replaced so quickly, even though this makes me loss some money in the end....

IMG_20220827_073629.jpg

So obviously FYT or whoever has developed these interface, for controlling the sound on these UIS 7862 units. That's something they have put some effort in, unlike the FM Radio app which is very basic.

This is exactly the same as seen in T'eyes FYT UIS 7862 units, no difference here. It seems no matter which seller: all are having these highly configurable sound setting's. But I was actually already satisfied with the standard setting, so I didn't change it.

IMG_20220827_074003.jpg

There is also a volume balance settings, which again I didn't bother to make any adjustments. But it might be useful to do, if you feel like you can't hear the navigation directions very well. In the settings I also found a option, that the sound level will increase depending on your speed. This is something my built-in OEM Carradio had as well, so I have it enabled at low setting now.

Screen quality

Considering both the EKIY D7 and Mekede M500s are having 1280x720 IPS displays, I do find that the display inside the EKIY D7 is of lower quality. Which makes me think it's a full fit screen, as described in the image below.

Uc09a415277ea4054b3160e5901f9b4e9T.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

However I find playing videos on YouTube usually a good indicator, for showing the screen quality. As it's fast moving images in full 1080p resolution. So I played some of favourite music.

Don't try this while driving though, but it might be nice to be able to use YouTube or any video playback while parked. Ofcourse you would need an internet connection.

Bugs

How difficult is it to fix bugs? Well for many years, these head-units suffer from a bug which deletes your Google contact's. It happened on the EKIY D7 as well, so it's not something new.

I did however find a workaround: the issue occurs, because your contacts are being synchronised by Google. However the contact list on the headunit is empty, so this synchronises to your phone once connected by bluetooth.

Many users have suggested to turn of allow sharing of contacts settings in bluetooth, but that results in not having your contacts on the headunit. So instead you should go to User>Google Account> and put off the synchronization of contacts. That fixed it, and than the bluetooth simply transfers you contacts to the headunit without deleting it.

Just like how it worked on my OEM unit from Suzuki, but if you don't use Google for you contacts. Then this bug would most likely not effect you.

IMG_20220827_074414.jpg

Another bug I found, and also already read about on XDA: is the fact that once you change the UI, in this case UI29. After a reboot, or once you start the car again? It would change back to the standard UI.

So I went to UI settings again, and saw UI29 was still selected. I selected it again and saved it, but I'm guessing perhaps next time I get in to the car. The standard UI might be back. Which I don't mind to much, I'm finding the different home screens quite similar anyway.

Reverse camera

When I first checked if the reverse camera was working, I had a black and white image. So I though perhaps it was a feature of the Starlight Night Vision from my GreenYi AHD reverse camera. So I spend a half evening on Google, trying to figure out if black and white image was normal.

IMG_20220827_111431.jpg

In the end it turned out, the headunit settings for the reverse camera wasn't in AHD yet. However the reverse camera works fine, although I still have to put a Car Camera Filter between it. I ordered one from AliExpress, but shipping will take awhile. So until I get the filter, I will have to live with some interference inside the image.

Fake Android = 20% money back

So as I already reported: Mekede is selling these head-units with fake Android 11 on it, while this doesn't effect the unit in a single way. Because it's just a editable number in the build prop.

IMG_20220826_165300.jpg

But I saw it as an opportunity to get 20% of the purchase amount back: I paid $ 232,77 for this unit. And I got $ 50 dollars back from AliExpress, because of proofing it runs fake Android 11. So that makes the price for the Mekede M500s totally $ 182,77 totally.

I probably will even get back a little bit more that € 50 because, when I bought in dollars: the exchange rate was still one to one. Now it's like € 1 = $ 0,99 and AlliExpress, will pay you back in the currency you bought the item.

In order to get the dispute succesfully through: where you show the actions you follow, to proof the fake Android version. So install fake device test first, before staring the recording. And ofcourse describe how you proved it's fake. Just taking the picture won't be enough.

Also don't expect a full refund or 50% or whatever, AliExpress most likely don't give you a higher refund of 20% but feel free to round the number up.

But no matter if the device displays Android 13 and running Android 8.1 it going be the same, for AliExpress. Even though the impact is bigger, when a head-unit is running such an old Android version. In this case I have no problems with Android 10.

Verdict

For the time being, this is my verdict: keep in mind it's based on a short user time, but that's mostly the case. I might update the review, when there are new things that I find worth mentioning.

In my opinion it's clear why the FYT Based UIS 7862 is among the best choices, when picking a Android Head-unit. No matter if you mainly wanna run Android Auto or use it as a dedicated headunit, running navigation apps and music directly from it.

Because I was ignorance at first: mainly wanted to have Android Auto, I thought a cheaper headunit would do just fine. And well that was the case, but the sound was horrible. It was to slow for running any kind of modern app etc, and even not giving the full Android Auto experience.

So with this headunit, everything is really quickly running: no slowing down, other than waiting for wireless Android Auto to connect. You can run whatever apps you want and most likely it will work.

I only don't think these Android head-units are meant, for people without any technical knowledge. It isn't plug and play at all, because there are some settings to be taken care of. Some bugs which might annoy you and wanna smash the headunit, all of this makes Android headunits not suitable for the non-technical people among us.

And if you are very reliable of using your phone for making phone calls: run away while still possible, because ofcourse when the calling is already working. The microphones in these units are very basic, having no noise cancellation.
    I did a surprising discovery today, while driving to Den Haag: the display can not truly be turned off, instead it just dimmed completely when I closed the screen by drop-down button's.

Furthermore, the FM-Radio App is really a downgrade compared to the original Carradio. It just has the basic features and it doesn't, search by it self for the other frequency ( of the same radio channel NPO 3FM in this case ) when you are out of reach.

But atleast it works and I have no complaints about FM Radio signal, just a bit annoying I need to adjust the frequency manual. It gave a chance though to try split screen, with the FM radio app and Google Maps. That worked really well.
    Display: Every unit has nowadays on the top-left the On/Off button.
    on_off.jpg

Tap it once: Mute sound / Re-enable sound.
    Hold it 3 seconds: The screen will completely switch off. Tap any button to switch it on again.

The Chinese have no idea how RDS-AF works. It is not being used in China. "NPO 3FM" is on the same frequency throughout the entire country in China.
    What they implemented is that when you enable it, it simply searches for the strongest stations (frequencies) it can find. Not the strongest station for that specific radio station. Already since 2015 an issue and never solved. That is why so many people use DAB+ (including me using @realzoulou's excellent DAB-Z) which has proper "service following" (as RDS-AF is called on DAB), which allows you to listen to NPO 3FM from Delfzijl to Cadzand without touching your unit (well, maybe the volume in case of a very good song ;))

Edit: a DAB+ unit on Aliexpress costs anywhere between 25 and 45 euros (Joying 60 euros. Don't buy). Mostly the DAB+ apk delivered with it sucks, but that doesn't matter as there is DAB-Z.

Edit2: I moved my DAB+ dongle from my PX5 to my sc9853i and now to my uis7862. Simply replacing the self-adhesive window antenna once going from my previous car to my current car (8 euros as far as I can remember)
    Currently I'm trying Splitscreen with on the left Spotify, and on the right Google Maps.
    Like mentioned: I use Magic Earth and sometimes Google Maps. In splitscreen I only get Maps on the right side, not on the left side. With any other nav app I can put it left or right. I prefer left for better visibility, especially when the sun comes from the right or left and you get reflections.
    Nice review. (Apart from the fact that I do not understand that you buy an expensive unit to run AA ;))
    I explained that just now, at the end of the verdict for now. It took me awhile to finishing the writing, and I haven't even been able to take a all the pictures I want. As my wife gets annoyed, when I'm frequently going to my car hihi.

MP3's on your unit don't have to be illegal. I have a large CD-collection which I completely ripped to flac for my home installation and to mp3 (preset V0) for my car. You have the legal right to make a backup/copy for yourself, at least in the Netherlands! I have over 2500 songs on my unit (6000 at home as I don't play classic music in the car), where maybe 80~100 are indeed illegal as they are popsongs I like, but I don't like the entire CD (at all).
    Ofcourse I'm aware of that, but I don't know many Dutch people from my generation who didn't download illegal MP3's and for a long time you actually could just do it. They only went behind the big fishs.

I however used to download K-pop, as I could impossible import the CD's from South Korea. So I used to burn these MP3's to CD, in order to play them in the car. Yes my old Carradio has a CD player, but I haven't used it years.

You could install something like tasker, macro-droid., Llama or Easer to check for the connection. If AA or CarLink is no longer running, you could start WiFi again.
    Thanks, I really need to try this when I have time.

I am not sure whether your statement is entirely correct. When you use Google Maps in the launcher it runs as some kind of widget. Joying shows in their youtube videos showing AA that they run Google Maps in full screen which makes it much bigger.
    On my previous PX5 and sc9853i and current uis7862 I always run my unit on my phone hotspot also giving me full-screen or split-screen Google Maps, with or without Spotify (not anymore, tried that shortly), radio or music player.
    Well I didn't take a picture, else I could have simply showed it. And I tried to find an image on Google, with this what I think is the tablet interface.

But Google Maps looks the same in both the small widget, and full screen. Maybe I might try a launcher, without the Maps widget. Because I find these widget's, more of a gimmick.
    If with battery camera is working fine then maybe is easier to run a single cable from headunit camera power to the back of the car.
    For the headlights I tried the led bulbs but I wasn’t satisfied with the result and finally changed the headlights with projectors and xenon hid. Way better results