• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Memory Upgrade Sprint HTC Arrive (HD7 Pro)

Search This thread
So I have the the Sprint HTC Arrive (aka. the HD7 Pro) and I have taken it apart to see where the memory is located at. If there was a slot where the memory card could be ejected from, it would right in between the +/- Volume Buttons. Just remember that opening your phone will void your warranty, but here are the pictures I took. It has a 16GB Class 4 Sandisk micro SD card. The slot is not spring loaded so to remove the memory card you just pull it out. I will be testing out if a 32GB Class 10 or Class 2 will work perfectly on it since its running a 16GB Class 4.....

5551111256_e4c4cc308b.jpg

5551111198_f1e9cb45a0.jpg

added the pics in a zip file for closer inspection.....

Last edited:

Savage1969

Dec 18, 2008
Texas Gulf Coast
Pardon my stupidity (still on my first cup of Joe) but would the current classes of 32GB cards still be slower spec'd than the 16GB? I'm having a brain fart and can't remember, or I would swap mine out right now just for grins. I wouldn't have an issue hard resetting right now anyway...

92GTA

Mar 26, 2005
Where are the additional pics? I have all my screws out but can't seem to get the plastic cover off the back!

EDIT: Got it!

Last edited:

exilkubaner

Jan 18, 2009
Tübingen
as far as i know, the memory card on the 7 pro is close to the speaker, so they must have changed the layout a little. doesn't really make a difference though

supercain

May 16, 2010
Can you post a step by step.

Can you post a step by step how to do this. When you figure it out. I would like more memory in my Arrive. Thank.:rolleyes:

theclueless

Jul 30, 2008
Chicago
1. remove the 4 small screws under the battery cover (one on the top left is under a black warranty sticker)
2. remove the odd ball big screw on the lower left; just use a flat-head and slowly turn about 45degree at a time, it is pretty easy
3. use your fingernails or tools to take out the plastic cover (it only actually covers the side of the phone), you will find another cover with 6 more screws that actually covers the back of the phone
4. remove those screws, and the lift the back cover (unlike the side cover, this one just sits on top, and not snapped onto anything)
5. the sdcard is on the right side, next to where the volume buttons are
6. to remove the sdcard, you will need to peel the yellow tape up enough so it is no longer sticking to the sdcard, then just wiggle it out (no eject mechanism)
7. no pictures, the phone is my camera :mad:

Reactions: mw86 and ctiger
Instructions

1. remove the 4 small screws under the battery cover (one on the top left is under a black warranty sticker)
2. remove the odd ball big screw on the lower left; just use a flat-head and slowly turn about 45degree at a time, it is pretty easy
3. use your fingernails or tools to take out the plastic cover (it only actually covers the side of the phone), you will find another cover with 6 more screws that actually covers the back of the phone
4. remove those screws, and the lift the back cover (unlike the side cover, this one just sits on top, and not snapped onto anything)
6. to remove the sdcard, you will need to peel the yellow tape up enough so it is no longer sticking to the sdcard, then just wiggle it out (no eject mechanism)

I was about to post the instructions but you got it just right, was really easy to take apart. I have a 32GB Sandisk Class 2 and a 32GB Lexar Class 10 tried both and both are working fine.... stuck with the Lexar and good so far! I did feel that loading apps or music with the Lexar Class 10 was a bit faster.

Reactions: evath

supercain

May 16, 2010
Thank the clueless one. Cool.

adihere

Nov 15, 2008
I was about to post the instructions but you got it just right, was really easy to take apart. I have a 32GB Sandisk Class 2 and a 32GB Lexar Class 10 tried both and both are working fine.... stuck with the Lexar and good so far! I did feel that loading apps or music with the Lexar Class 10 was a bit faster.

Did you have to hard reset after installing the card? Anyone?? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

goulav

Aug 5, 2010
D'Iberville
what about side loading music to the sd card?

does the phone recognize it if it's on the card but not loaded from zune?

quantum3

Feb 13, 2010
do you think a 64gb would work like this one:
Transcend 64 GB Class 10 SDXC Ultra Speed 25MB/S Flash Memory Card TS64GSDXC10

what model # sd cards have you used that worked please? I want to order something off of amazon and I want to get one that I know will work.
thanks!!
Q

Reactions: uiqjirka

eduncan911

May 9, 2010
NYC
I'm now w/32 GB in my HTC Arrive. I'll post a blog post about it soon enough with better pics. Until then, a few tips:

* Do a hard reset on your device before you begin. Goto Settings -> About and click Reset. Don't take the chance of an existing install corrupting (WP7 requires a hard reset when changing the flash card).
* Use a medium flat-head screw driver at a sharp 45 to 55 degree angle to get a bit on that tri-wing screw on the back and turn it.
* Remember, there are 4 screws you need to remove. One of them is hidden under a small black label. This is how the manufacturer knows that you have tampered with the device. You simply push down with your tiny phillips, and your screw driver will melt through and you can turn it.
* Let your fingernails grow for about a week. Use your thumb and start at the keyboard area to pop things loose. Work your way around to where the display attachs. Easy peasy.

Please note that I had issues at first with this upgrade. I'm now ordering the Sandisk 32 GB Class 4 card now (Class 2 are sold as Class 4).

See attached pics.

Last edited:

ScottSUmmers

Apr 2, 2011
I'm thinking of doing this upgrade. Would someone that has done it tell me if there truly is an increase in performance or if the hardware of phone still bottlenecks the read and write speeds? Thanks.

eduncan911

May 9, 2010
NYC
I'm thinking of doing this upgrade. Would someone that has done it tell me if there truly is an increase in performance or if the hardware of phone still bottlenecks the read and write speeds? Thanks.

You don't do it for an increase in performance. You do it for the increase in size.

Stick to only the Sandisk microSDHC 32 GB Class 4. Nothing else.

The important part is random access times, not read/write. Makers sacrafice random access times in order to increase read/write (e.g. class).

My Wintect Class 10 is such a card. Random access times is horrible, but it does 20 MB/s as promised. I've ordered a Sandisk 32 GB card now.

Reactions: Oditius and xTMODx

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I have the the Sprint HTC Arrive (aka. the HD7 Pro) and I have taken it apart to see where the memory is located at. If there was a slot where the memory card could be ejected from, it would right in between the +/- Volume Buttons. Just remember that opening your phone will void your warranty, but here are the pictures I took. It has a 16GB Class 4 Sandisk micro SD card. The slot is not spring loaded so to remove the memory card you just pull it out. I will be testing out if a 32GB Class 10 or Class 2 will work perfectly on it since its running a 16GB Class 4.....

5551111256_e4c4cc308b.jpg

5551111198_f1e9cb45a0.jpg

added the pics in a zip file for closer inspection.....
    I'm now w/32 GB in my HTC Arrive. I'll post a blog post about it soon enough with better pics. Until then, a few tips:

* Do a hard reset on your device before you begin. Goto Settings -> About and click Reset. Don't take the chance of an existing install corrupting (WP7 requires a hard reset when changing the flash card).
    * Use a medium flat-head screw driver at a sharp 45 to 55 degree angle to get a bit on that tri-wing screw on the back and turn it.
    * Remember, there are 4 screws you need to remove. One of them is hidden under a small black label. This is how the manufacturer knows that you have tampered with the device. You simply push down with your tiny phillips, and your screw driver will melt through and you can turn it.
    * Let your fingernails grow for about a week. Use your thumb and start at the keyboard area to pop things loose. Work your way around to where the display attachs. Easy peasy.

Please note that I had issues at first with this upgrade. I'm now ordering the Sandisk 32 GB Class 4 card now (Class 2 are sold as Class 4).

See attached pics.

You don't do it for an increase in performance. You do it for the increase in size.

Stick to only the Sandisk microSDHC 32 GB Class 4. Nothing else.

The important part is random access times, not read/write. Makers sacrafice random access times in order to increase read/write (e.g. class).

My Wintect Class 10 is such a card. Random access times is horrible, but it does 20 MB/s as promised. I've ordered a Sandisk 32 GB card now.
    Instructions