• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Menu + Back keys not working after Upgrade to Lollipop 5.0?? READ THIS!!

Search This thread

repherb

Aug 7, 2008
Milky Way
This post is to help anyone that upgraded to Lollipop 5.0 from KitKat 4.4.2 with any newer 2012+ devices (Not just the Note 3, but also s4 etc.) exhibiting the symptoms in the title of this post.

So i picked up a Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900W8 and got the OTA update from KitKat 4.4.2 to Lollipop 5.0 and thought "Cool!" but alas, was I to be sadly informed of a major issue when I rebooted.

It started up fine but when I hit the back button it didn't respond. Then I hit the menu button and "Search" came up instead. I freaked, I lost my cool. Then my technical mind took hold and I started digging through XDA with their search tool thinking "Maybe i'm not the only one that is having this problem" and WOAH! Did I ever find a load of trouble.

Here's what i found out:
Ebay and Aliexpress sellers of replacement screens for alot (and i mean ALOT) of samsung phones from 2012 and newer used a compatible chip from a company called Cypress who makes the touchkeys chip for samsung (and other phone makers) and that OEM part number is CY8C20065. The sellers/manufacturers of replacement screens are using the compatible Cypress chip part which is the CY8C20236A.

The upgrade to 5.0 installs new firmwares throughout the phone INCLUDING the IC that controls the capacitive keys (Menu + Back) to version 0x12, from the KitKat version 0x10. The IC CY820236A is NOT compatible with the newer 0x12 firmware and gets hosed.

Now for a Solution that you may or may not like: The only way thusfar that I have found that works is to DOWNGRADE back to Kitkat 4.4.2 as anything higher screws the IC controller up and you will have to replace your LCD+digitizer (at $180+ this is not an option, cheaper to go get a phone online used with the original screen and everything stock) This is a fully STOCK recovery to a 100% working unit. No Root, other add-ons etc.

Now, unless someone (BIG HINT HERE to devs) can figure out this issue, alot of people are stuck with a paperweight. You can try and add the softkeys onto the screen, or flash this kernel but it WILL trip your Knox counter and set you to "Custom" Binary and Status.

I take NO credit for this post at all, I just almagamated the information from this and this post.

Last edited:
Reactions: M-Ego

repherb

Aug 7, 2008
Milky Way
Do you wipe factory reset after flashing your rom???

Yes, if you read the threads, wiping the unit before primary boot has no effect on this issue at all. once you upgrade to Lollipop, the IC is written to and is corrupted after that. Nothing can stop this process save for a non-stock update/upgrade that has the 0x12 firmware altered/downgraded and that's where the kernel flash I listed comes in to restore (but void the warranty) the keys to proper working state.

Last edited:

sank0403

Jul 31, 2016
Error in Odin

Yes, if you read the threads, wiping the unit before primary boot has no effect on this issue at all. once you upgrade to Lollipop, the IC is written to and is corrupted after that. Nothing can stop this process save for a non-stock update/upgrade that has the 0x12 firmware altered/downgraded and that's where the kernel flash I listed comes in to restore (but void the warranty) the keys to proper working state.

I recently udpated from 4.4.2 to lollipop on my Note 3 SM-N900A (Build N900AUCUEOC1) and have the soft key problem.

I tried the idlekernel option but that errors out in Odin.

<ID:0/006> Odin engine v(ID:3.1203)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/006> Initialzation..
<ID:0/006> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/006> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/006> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/006> boot.img
<ID:0/006> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/006>
<ID:0/006> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

On the phone it says

SYS REV CHECK FAIL : No Version
SECURE MAGICODE CHECK FAIL : boot

I am novice at this, so how can I get around this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This post is to help anyone that upgraded to Lollipop 5.0 from KitKat 4.4.2 with any newer 2012+ devices (Not just the Note 3, but also s4 etc.) exhibiting the symptoms in the title of this post.

So i picked up a Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900W8 and got the OTA update from KitKat 4.4.2 to Lollipop 5.0 and thought "Cool!" but alas, was I to be sadly informed of a major issue when I rebooted.

It started up fine but when I hit the back button it didn't respond. Then I hit the menu button and "Search" came up instead. I freaked, I lost my cool. Then my technical mind took hold and I started digging through XDA with their search tool thinking "Maybe i'm not the only one that is having this problem" and WOAH! Did I ever find a load of trouble.

Here's what i found out:
    Ebay and Aliexpress sellers of replacement screens for alot (and i mean ALOT) of samsung phones from 2012 and newer used a compatible chip from a company called Cypress who makes the touchkeys chip for samsung (and other phone makers) and that OEM part number is CY8C20065. The sellers/manufacturers of replacement screens are using the compatible Cypress chip part which is the CY8C20236A.

The upgrade to 5.0 installs new firmwares throughout the phone INCLUDING the IC that controls the capacitive keys (Menu + Back) to version 0x12, from the KitKat version 0x10. The IC CY820236A is NOT compatible with the newer 0x12 firmware and gets hosed.

Now for a Solution that you may or may not like: The only way thusfar that I have found that works is to DOWNGRADE back to Kitkat 4.4.2 as anything higher screws the IC controller up and you will have to replace your LCD+digitizer (at $180+ this is not an option, cheaper to go get a phone online used with the original screen and everything stock) This is a fully STOCK recovery to a 100% working unit. No Root, other add-ons etc.

Now, unless someone (BIG HINT HERE to devs) can figure out this issue, alot of people are stuck with a paperweight. You can try and add the softkeys onto the screen, or flash this kernel but it WILL trip your Knox counter and set you to "Custom" Binary and Status.

I take NO credit for this post at all, I just almagamated the information from this and this post.