Message sounds?

Search This thread

Mikebj

Jul 14, 2006
Derbyshire
My first post in this incredible forum, I have all ready found so much help here and are most thankful, please keep it up.

Is it possible to make your own message sounds and use them when recieving text messages etc.

If possible at all what format should the file be in (mp3 wav)?

Tried with an mp3 placed in the windows folder it seems it cant find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

skidoo

May 14, 2006
Newtown, Sydney
I'm not an expert so hopefully one will reply, but I think they have to be .wav and I think they have to go in the \windows\rings folder.

cheers

Steven2420

May 7, 2006
skidoo said:
I'm not an expert so hopefully one will reply, but I think they have to be .wav and I think they have to go in the \windows\rings folder.

cheers

Actually, you are 1/2 right, they need to be wavs, but they go directly into windows, not in the rings folder.

Steve

M3NF

Jun 13, 2006
Portsmouth
www.m3nf.com
Yep steve is correct the sound file will need to be a .wav and place into the windows folder, ring tones can be mid,wav and so on and they are placed into the rings folder within windows.

manindesert

Jul 8, 2006
Sound file converter???

Morning all,
My first posting also and yes this has to be the mecca for knwledge of all Wizard related things. My question:

Does anyone know of any software downloads which can convert .wma, mp3 or similar files into .wav??? I'm a complete novice at this sort of stuff but the array of ringtones and message alert tones is rubbish on my K-jam. Thanks for any replies.

Del.

newbie2

Mar 19, 2006
Ohio Valley
Re: Sound file converter???

manindesert said:
Morning all,
My first posting also and yes this has to be the mecca for knwledge of all Wizard related things. My question:

Does anyone know of any software downloads which can convert .wma, mp3 or similar files into .wav??? I'm a complete novice at this sort of stuff but the array of ringtones and message alert tones is rubbish on my K-jam. Thanks for any replies.

Del.

You might try Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

It's a free download. I use Sound Editor in Roxio's Media Creator 8 -- one of the MANY useful tools in that program.

newbie2

Mar 19, 2006
Ohio Valley
Re: Sound file converter???

manindesert said:
You might try Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

Just downloaded the file.....works a treat. This site is the best, thanks guys and keep up the solid work.

YW -- (but I'm a GAL -- not a guy)!! LOL!! :D But, that's ok -- none of my friends can believe how "techy" I am, either. But, I'm the first one they come running to with a problem. Go Figger!!

Mikebj

Jul 14, 2006
Derbyshire
Cheers all,
You keep refering to ring sounds, I am looking for Sounds for alarms and recieved messages, and alerts in general.
But I will try it now with wav files in stead of mp3.

Manindesert,
I'm using Sound Forge 7, but then again I really need it for all my music stuff, so give Audacity a shot.
Update Works fine with alarm and message sounds, thank you all.

javahater

Jun 28, 2006
Is there any way, hack or otherwise, that will allow you to point your rings/sounds to your SD card? Thought it would be nice to free some space and stop having to move files on and off the card. I change my ring tone with my mood:)

ezzkht

Feb 25, 2004
Amman
www.ezzkhayyat.com
Unfortunately, all SMS & ring tones must be located in main memory!
But there's a possibility to create a program that will browse a folder of ring tones on SD card & once u select a tone, it will be copied to main memory (and of course erase the old default tone from main memory) & will set this new file as the default ring tone for the phone. :)

Mikebj

Jul 14, 2006
Derbyshire
Javahater,

Have been trying above solution for about an hour, seems that this solution doesn't work under WM5, or at least it doesn't make any difference if you change the folder or not (it only points to windows not windows\rings) :(

Will have to keep looking.

ezzkht

Feb 25, 2004
Amman
www.ezzkhayyat.com

zairyaab

Nov 22, 2004
Mikebj said:
Javahater,

Have been trying above solution for about an hour, seems that this solution doesn't work under WM5, or at least it doesn't make any difference if you change the folder or not (it only points to windows not windows\rings) :(

Will have to keep looking.

AGREED !! I've got WM2003SE tried the steps mentioned http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=HTC_Wizard_Tweaks no use.......it still picks up the default folder from \windows\rings, where as I am pointing it towards \Storage Card\Sound\ not working

ok just double checked.....in sounds and notifications options it goes to \windows\rings folder.....but I have o2 plus installed as well...and in o2 plus sounds and notifications options it points me to \Storage Card\Sound any ideas ?

Mikebj

Jul 14, 2006
Derbyshire
Ezzkht,
Happy t worked for you, can't say the same for me.

Well it is getting more and more weird, when I look in my registry it only points to \windows\ not even \windows\rings\, despite this it still manages to pick up ringtones/sounds in the rings directory, and all sound files placed in the root of the SD Card(go figure).

I'm out of ideas right now, but am still looking for a solution and will be back if I find one.

TroLoo

Feb 22, 2006
www.gsm-parts.com
Maybe some nice sounds ;)

Hello everyone!

It's a little bit off topic, a little bit not ;)

My advice: SD card is not really a good place for sounds, at least in my case. Why? Sometimes it happened that when I got a phone call, instead of my nice ringtone I've heard the standard one. I think it has sth to do with powering up SD card while changing from standby mode. It's just my impression.

Secondly: I'm looking for some nice SMS ringtones, not the funky ones... I'm getting a lot of messages and it's really boring if you hear "Heeeeellooooo! Your message is coooooomingggg!" every now and then. I will appreciate if you could share your ringtone with me ;)

TroLoo