Method for root - OnePlus Nord N100 (BE2011 unlocked)

Search This thread

alexspecht

Sep 19, 2015
I have successfully rooted my OnePlus Nord N100 (BE2011) using stock boot.img file patched with Magisk.

Here I will attempt to provide a detailed guide.

This is for OnePlus Nord N100 version BE2011 (Carrier unlocked) bought in the US at Best Buy. The build number is 10.5.8.BE81AA (As of today June 29, 2021)

Carrier locked versions will not work with this method because the bootloader is locked.

NOTE: Please follow the details as I had soft bricked the phone a few times by installing the wrong version of boot.img In which case the phone would not work for calls / txt

**MAKE SURE THE EXTRACTED boot.img FILE IS FROM THE EXACT OTA .zip file that is installed with the "Local Upgrade" method as described in STEP 3)***

Luckily I was able to get it to factory default by using the MSM method posted here:

STEP 1- On a new phone the user may have to use the automatic update either through wifi or mobile data BEFORE using "Local Upgrade" method as the 'settings' icon (gear wheel) under 'Settings' - 'system update', may not be displayed.

STEP 2- Install OnePlus Drivers on PC. USB setting should be set to file transfer.

STEP 3- Download and Update to latest firmware from OnePlus using "Local Upgrade Method"

This will be the full firmware (About 2GB file) not the smaller "update file"

This is from and email from support at OnePlus which includes the link to the latest firmware
(As of today June 6, 2021):

Check this link:

Download the software build for your device from the above page. Please back up your data before flashing your device.

**KEEP A COPY of the .zip file on the PC as it will be needed to extract the bootloader boot.img file**

Plug your phone into your computer and copy the downloaded .zip to your phone’s storage.
(At the root of Internal storage: BE2011>Internal shared storage) see below picture.

If you’re using a Mac, you can install Android File Transfer Android File Transfer for this operation.

After the .zip file is copied to your phone, go to 'Settings' - 'system update', click the 'settings' icon on the top right corner, choose 'Local upgrade', find the .zip file and click on 'Install' to confirm.

The update takes about a minute (depending upon the file size), once done reboot your device to boot into the latest Oxygen OS.

BE2011_RootFolder.jpg

STEP 4- Extract boot.img file from payload.bin

The firmware download is a .zip file. When unzipped on the PC there will be a large file called "payload.bin" In order to extract boot.img from payload.bin the user will need to use a python script called payload_dumper.py

In order to use the tools, there should be no proxy server and use "Administrator" account. (I had errors when using proxy server and my windows user account.)

4a - Install the latest Python from here: https://www.python.org/downloads/

On Python install select "Add Python 3.xx to PATH"

4b - Download payload dumper from here :
https://www.mediafire.com/file/pslxh616isribx6/payload_dumper.zip/file

4c Upon successful download, extract all the files inside the ZIP folder to the same location where you have installed Python.

4d Unzip the OnePlus firmware file .zip and copy payload.bin to the python folder ( This means that the folder will have Python, the Payload Dumper Tool, and the payload.bin file in the same place.)

4e- Open the folder in CMD and use command: python -m pip install protobuf
(this will download and install Protocol Buffers Google’s data interchange format)

4f- execute the following command: python payload_dumper.py payload.bin

The .img files should now be extracted to the "output" folder

payload_dump.jpg

STEP 5- Install Android SDK Platform-Tools on Your PC

5a - Enable developer options on phone in settings>about phone. tap on "build number" several times until it displays "you are now a developer"

5b - On phone go to settings>system>developer options and Enable USB debugging (in Windows Device manager there should show "ADB Interface" under USB devices. If not the OnePlus ADB drivers need to be installed)

5c - Install ADB on Windows
Download the platform-tools package for Windows from Google:

We are going to need a location on the PC where the files could remain untouched, yet easily accessible. So extract the content of the downloaded “platform-tools-latest-windows.zip” file to C:\adb

5d- Connect phone with ADB

Go to the folder where the files are present (Example: C:\adb).
On an empty space inside this folder, press the SHIFT key and right-click. Select “Open command window here” or “Open PowerShell window here” from the menu that appears.

With the Android device connected to the PC using USB cable enter the following command to initiate the ADB connection:

adb devices

The phone will ask for permission. Select allow and click ok

enter the command again:

adb devices

This will show that the device is connected with ADB.

STEP 6- Unlock Bootloader ****THIS WILL WIPE ALL DATA FROM PHONE****

6a- On phone go to settings>system>developer options and enable "OEM unlocking"
NOTE OPTION WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE WITH CARRIER UNLOCKED PHONE

6b- In CMD or Powershell use command : adb reboot bootloader
This will reboot the phone into fastboot mode

6c- enter command: fastboot devices
The phone should be displayed. This verifies the connection with fastboot driver

6d- enter command: fastboot oem unlock
The phone will now ask to confirm. Use the vol +/- numbers to navigate and power button to select "unlock bootloader"

6e- if the phone doesnt automatically reset use command : fastboot reboot

6f- on reboot the user will have to go through the factory "setup" again and enable developer options and USB debugging again (Steps 5a, 5b from above)

STEP 7- Install Magisk and patch boot.img file

7a- Download Magisk APK file from here: https://magiskmanager.com/go/download

7b- Copy the .apk file to phone and use file manager to run. (it will ask for permission)

7c- copy the file "boot.img" from the PC to the phone internal storage (output folder under Python Step 4f above)

7d- run Magisk app on phone

7e- Click "install" under the Magisk heading and check "select and patch a file"

7f- choose the boot.img file that was just copied to the phone

Magisk will now patch the boot.img file and show the file location. This may be in "Downloads" folder.

7g- Copy the patched magisk boot.img file back to the PC in the \adb folder. File name should be something like "magisk_patched-23000_XXXXX.img"

STEP 8 - Boot with magisk patched boot.img file

8a - use command prompt and enter command: adb devices
the device should be displayed

8b - enter command: adb reboot bootloader
phone will reboot in fastboot mode

8c - ensure connnetion with command : fastboot devices
device should be displayed

8d - Test boot image by executing command:

fastboot boot magisk_patched-XXXXXXX.img

This will only boot the image once! Make sure everything is working (e.g. WiFi, PHone Messaging doesn't work on wrong image)

Call your phone and txt and use WIFI to make sure all the communication features are working

Open the Magisk APP. It should show Magisk installed.

The device is now temporarily rooted.

STEP 9 - Flash Bootloader

9a - use command prompt and enter command: adb devices

9b - enter command: adb reboot bootloader

9c - ensure connnetion with command : fastboot devices

9d - Flash boot image by entering command:

fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-XXXXXX.img

Reactions: hanifvahora

geoff5093

Jun 13, 2011
Did you have an issue with the phone updating itself recently? Mine auto installed without any prompts this morning, so I went through the process again of unbricking to 10.5.5, manually updating to 10.5.8, patching, rooting, and tried blocking all oneplus domains to prevent any updates. Then a couple hours later it randomly rebooted and installed an update again without any prompt. I check OnePlus's website and the most recent update is from June.

Reactions: bouyakasha

jsunkist146

Mar 9, 2009
If only someone would post the OTA zip file! Please! My n100 updated overnight without warning and I lost root. I'd really like to get a hold of it so I could patch boot.img and get root back.

Does anyone know how to get the OTA zip file after the update has run? Any other ways to re-obtain root without flashing back to android 10? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

alexspecht

Sep 19, 2015
I contacted one plus support and they asked me for IMEI number and proof of purchase. Then they sent me the link for the current firmware download (the complete zip not the update this file should be about 2GB).

I have posted the link that they sent me in the instructions above.

For this to work you have to let the unrooted stock phone download the OTA update the normal way in systemm settings.

Once it does that you will be able to flash it with the firmware from the zip file manually.

I have disabled all automatic updates and ever since i rooted it the update option in system settings is greyed out.

Hope this helps

Palewu

Jun 4, 2021
I have successfully rooted my OnePlus Nord N100 (BE2011) using stock boot.img file patched with Magisk.

This is for OnePlus Nord N100 version BE2011 (Carrier unlocked) bought in the US at Best Buy. The build number is 10.5.8.BE81AA (As of today June 29, 2021)

Carrier locked versions will not work with this method because the bootloader is locked.

NOTE: Please follow the details as I had soft bricked the phone a few times by installing the wrong version of boot.img In which case the phone would not work for calls / txt

**MAKE SURE THE EXTRACTED boot.img FILE IS FROM THE EXACT OTA .zip file that is installed with the "Local Upgrade" method as described in STEP 3)***

Luckily I was able to get it to factory default by using the MSM method posted here:

STEP 1- On a new phone the user may have to use the automatic update either through wifi or mobile data BEFORE using "Local Upgrade" method as the 'settings' icon (gear wheel) under 'Settings' - 'system update', may not be displayed.

STEP 2- Install OnePlus Drivers on PC. USB setting should be set to file transfer.

STEP 3- Download and Update to latest firmware from OnePlus using "Local Upgrade Method"

This is from and email from support at OnePlus which includes the link to the latest firmware

Check this link:

Download the software build for your device from the above page. Please back up your data before flashing your device.

**KEEP A COPY of the .zip file on the PC as it will be needed to extract the bootloader boot.img file**

Plug your phone into your computer and copy the downloaded .zip to your phone’s storage.
(At the root of Internal storage: BE2011>Internal shared storage) see below picture.

If you’re using a Mac, you can install Android File Transfer Android File Transfer for this operation.

After the .zip file is copied to your phone, go to 'Settings' - 'system update', click the 'settings' icon on the top right corner, choose 'Local upgrade', find the .zip file and click on 'Install' to confirm.

The update takes about a minute (depending upon the file size), once done reboot your device to boot into the latest Oxygen OS.

View attachment 5351013

The firmware download is a .zip file. When unzipped on the PC there will be a large file called "payload.bin" In order to extract boot.img from payload.bin the user will need to use a python script called payload_dumper.py

In order to use the tools, there should be no proxy server and use "Administrator" account. (I had errors when using proxy server and my windows user account.)

4c Upon successful download, extract all the files inside the ZIP folder to the same location where you have installed Python.

4d Unzip the OnePlus firmware file .zip and copy payload.bin to the python folder ( This means that the folder will have Python, the Payload Dumper Tool, and the payload.bin file in the same place.)

(this will download and install Protocol Buffers Google’s data interchange format)

View attachment 5351027

5a - Enable developer options on phone in settings>about phone. tap on "build number" several times until it displays "you are now a developer"

5b - On phone go to settings>system>developer options and Enable USB debugging (in Windows Device manager there should show "ADB Interface" under USB devices. If not the OnePlus ADB drivers need to be installed)

We are going to need a location on the PC where the files could remain untouched, yet easily accessible. So extract the content of the downloaded “platform-tools-latest-windows.zip” file to C:\adb

On an empty space inside this folder, press the SHIFT key and right-click. Select “Open command window here” or “Open PowerShell window here” from the menu that appears.

With the Android device connected to the PC using USB cable enter the following command to initiate the ADB connection:

adb devices

enter the command again:

adb devices

The phone should be displayed. This verifies the connection with fastboot driver

The phone will now ask to confirm. Use the vol +/- numbers to navigate and power button to select "unlock bootloader"

6f- on reboot the user will have to go through the factory "setup" again and enable developer options and USB debugging again (Steps 5a, 5b from above)

7b- Copy the .apk file to phone and use file manager to run. (it will ask for permission)

7c- copy the file "boot.img" from the PC to the phone internal storage (output folder under Python Step 4f above)

7e- Click "install" under the Magisk heading and check "select and patch a file"

Magisk will now patch the boot.img file and show the file location. This may be in "Downloads" folder.

7g- Copy the patched magisk boot.img file back to the PC in the \adb folder. File name should be something like "magisk_patched-23000_XXXXX.img"

This will only boot the image once! Make sure everything is working (e.g. WiFi, PHone Messaging doesn't work on wrong image)

Call your phone and txt and use WIFI to make sure all the communication features are working

Bro ..This is too much am lost,why don't they have this phone listed on Twrp sites?Can't i install twrp recovery on this N100

Palewu

Jun 4, 2021

Check this link:

View attachment 5351013

View attachment 5351027

adb devices

enter the command again:

adb devices

My N100 build no. is Oxygen Os 10.5.10.BE83BA can i update and root my phone with the same firmware?

jtl2dotnet

Jan 15, 2014
Tampa
Wanted to drop in and thank the OP for this. The steps worked like a charm. I even powered off the phone and booted back up to insure Root was successfully implemented.

I installed Package Manager and successfully removed all the bloatware and tracking apps phone manufacturers love to refuse to allow to you remove. I'm not a power user like alot of root people, I just want a clean and private experience on my phone. I don't even sign into a Google account with my phones, that's how privacy conscious I am.

My last few phones were HTC because they made is very easy to unlock the bootloader and play around. It's sad they're not making phones anymore, but when I heard OnePlus was bootloader friendly, I decided to check them out and I'm glad I did.

So, thank you again!

jtl2dotnet

Jan 15, 2014
Tampa
So for anyone like me who had a mini panic attack when they got the notice to update to build 11.0.1.BE81AA, it did not break root, deactivate developer options, or lock the bootloader. The update was successful, and as far as I can tell, I still have root.

Though, I wouldn't mind re-locking the bootloader now that I'm rooted. The option is greyed out in Developer options. It's not a big deal, except for the annoying warning message and a few seconds delay when rebooting.

Mariovelasquez

Aug 4, 2021
So for anyone like me who had a mini panic attack when they got the notice to update to build 11.0.1.BE81AA, it did not break root, deactivate developer options, or lock the bootloader. The update was successful, and as far as I can tell, I still have root.

Though, I wouldn't mind re-locking the bootloader now that I'm rooted. The option is greyed out in Developer options. It's not a big deal, except for the annoying warning message and a few seconds delay when rebooting.
Amigo,como le hiciste?
Yo tengo la misma actualización pero no logro sacar el boot.img

jtl2dotnet

Jan 15, 2014
Tampa
Okay, time for an update. I can officially confirm that upgrading to 11.0.1.BE81AA does break root. One of the apps I used appeared to be working in fact, but it really wasn't. It didn't give any error messages that I could see, the app appeared to work as normal but actually wasn't doing anything. Thinking it must be broken root, I downloaded a root checker and that confirmed it.

Again: upgrading to 11.0.1.BE81AA breaks root.

I checked OnePlus' website and they not released the zip file for this release yet. I am hoping that once they do, these steps will work by simply using the boot.img from the 11.0.1.BE81AA zip, but until it's officially released I don't know of way to test it.

If anyone has gotten 11.0.1.BE81AA rooted, I would be interested to know.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210805-082555.jpg
    Screenshot_20210805-082555.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 79

kudlinux

Oct 29, 2011
My device automatically upgraded to 11.0.1.BE81AA. It is in android 11. Please help me. I want to Root.

OK, for those of you that had a problem with One Plus pushing the 11.0.1.BE81AA android 11 update to your phone and are still struggling, I will post what I did. Just follow the instructions from the previous several messages above, and use the boot.img file you can find at link to repo . I used the file named "OnePlusN100Oxygen_14.O.21_GLO_0210_2107241056" (AKA "f0ca210dff1c162c3c4a68f2560ef50898ac1797.zip" and the tool "payload_dumper-win64.zip". ISInce I already had Magisk on my phone and just just lost root, I followed the instructions posted in post #1 in this thread (thanks, alexspecht for the detailed instructions!) starting with step 7.

To summarize: WARNING, I BEAR NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU DAMAGE OR RENDER YOUR DEVICE UNUSABLE:
1. I unpacked the boot.img, and copied it to my phone.
2. I used Magisk to patch it
3. I copied the patched boot.img file to my platform tools folder on my windows PC.
4. I skipped step 8 and jumped right to step 9
5. I used a command window to send "adb devices" to my phone to verify connection
5. I then issued the "adb boot bootloader" command, and authorized my device when asked.
6. Next, i entered "fastboot devices"
7. And finally I issued the "fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-XXXXXX.img" command
8. and rebooted by selecting "Start" on my phone screen.

I knew it was working when I saw the live boot screen I use instead of the standard oneplus boot sequence.

Once again, thank you, @alexspecht !

alexspecht

Sep 19, 2015
Glad to see people found this useful. They dont make it easy anymore.

As far as the OTA push thats been breaking peoples phone:

If you disable google play services the update will not come through.

The update uses wifi to download, so luckily I was not connected to wifi when the update came in.

so if you need google play services make sure your not on wifi. So far they havent broken my phone, sorry thats the best I could do.

Reactions: bouyakasha

Junkatron

Dec 12, 2019
I can confirm that repeating the steps in the OP with the EU 11.0.0.0 ROM (OnePlusN100Oxygen_14.E.20_GLO_0200_2106222205) successfully resulted in root.

timmy777

Aug 31, 2021
I was able to successfully root my oneplus N100 BE2011 i checked my text messages and they work but my calls dont come in, when i try to make a phone call the phone freezes up, i completed the root process and disabled auto updates. Sucks the phone does not work i cant make any calls but atleast im rooted ?

bouyakasha

Jan 23, 2008
Is there a way to update to 10.5.8.BE81AA using the downloaded payload with an MSM tool?

This would save all the time of updating via auto-downlaod update, then moving the file to the phone, then doing manual local update.

bouyakasha

Jan 23, 2008

This is correct, there's no `settings` icon unless you do the update. BUT when you do the update, now you're in android 11 and they won't let you downgrade: "The version of your selected package is lower than that of the current system. To avoid booting up failure, downgrading is not allowed."

So I'm not sure how to make your guide work, given this.

kyky7kyle7

Jul 11, 2013
I did this and have root access verified. But now everytime I try to get SU in adb it automatically denies access. Any ideas?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Check this link:

BE2011_RootFolder.jpg

payload_dump.jpg

adb devices

enter the command again:

adb devices

Did you have an issue with the phone updating itself recently? Mine auto installed without any prompts this morning, so I went through the process again of unbricking to 10.5.5, manually updating to 10.5.8, patching, rooting, and tried blocking all oneplus domains to prevent any updates. Then a couple hours later it randomly rebooted and installed an update again without any prompt. I check OnePlus's website and the most recent update is from June.
    Glad to see people found this useful. They dont make it easy anymore.

As far as the OTA push thats been breaking peoples phone:

If you disable google play services the update will not come through.

The update uses wifi to download, so luckily I was not connected to wifi when the update came in.

so if you need google play services make sure your not on wifi. So far they havent broken my phone, sorry thats the best I could do.
    Wish the n200 had this much development