How To Guide Method to upgrade every month, without wiping data and retaining root

Search This thread

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Same set up here, when you say latest kdrag0n do you mean 2.3.1 or what the other guy released with 6.0 fingerprint?

I am also passing basic and cts integrity, but device integrity does not pass. on A13 bets, device integrity used to pass
What checker are you using? Should be checking for Device, Basic & Strong integrity with the newest Play Integrity API checker.

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012

I use YASNAC for definitive SafetyNet checks. People that know how to detect Magisk.

For Play Store integrity, force stop and clearing the app cache and data is usually good enough.

That got my Play Store integrity passing.

The rest of the Play integrities shouldn't matter if Basic and Play Store are good.

Edit: Checking GPay/Wallet integrity. Hopefully I don't have to use the old GPay SQLite module.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhoIsJohnGalt1979

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
YASNAC checks for SafetyNet API Attestation. Since Google has pretty much deprecated SafetyNet API and replaced it with Play Integrity API, probably best to use the Play Integrity API checker going forward since it checks for Play Integrity API rather than SafetyNet API.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
Google is definitely doing something something for GPay integrity. None of the old tricks are working so far.

They always slip some BS like this into a final release.

WhoIsJohnGalt1979

Jun 12, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
What checker are you using? Should be checking for Device, Basic & Strong integrity with the newest Play Integrity API checker.

As mentioned in my first post, am using the same app as you have listed above to check for API integrity, and Meets_Device_Integrity failed and Meets_Basic_Integrity passed and Meets_Strong_Integrity failed (as always due to unlocked bootloader). Difference is on A13 last beta, Meets_Device_Integrity used to pass with 2.3.1 without using Displax's 2.3.1 mod.

As suggested by you, I flashed Displax's 2.3.1 Mod, and now Meets_Device_Integrity passes and Wallet was able to set up correctly. Something for sure changed with A13 stable (I guess)

WhoIsJohnGalt1979

Jun 12, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
As mentioned in my first post, am using the same app as you have listed above to check for API integrity, and Meets_Device_Integrity failed and Meets_Basic_Integrity passed and Meets_Strong_Integrity failed (as always due to unlocked bootloader). Difference is on A13 last beta, Meets_Device_Integrity used to pass with 2.3.1 without using Displax's 2.3.1 mod.

As suggested by you, I flashed Displax's 2.3.1 Mod, and now Meets_Device_Integrity passes and Wallet was able to set up correctly. Something for sure changed with A13 stable (I guess)
Ah, you mentioned cts integrity at one point so wasn't sure which checker you were using. Glad you got everything working using Displax's mod 👍

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
I might just be an idiot. I was trying to link Paypal instead of an actual card, which worked first try.

The 2.3.1 mod works but now I'm not sure if I really need it. Might try again with regular 2.3.1 but I like the Device integrity.

I only use Shamiko for Chase. Do I need it for everything?

WhoIsJohnGalt1979

Jun 12, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I might just be an idiot. I was trying to link Paypal instead of an actual card, which worked first try.

The 2.3.1 mod works but now I'm not sure if I really need it. Might try again with regular 2.3.1 but I like the Device integrity.

I only use Shamiko for Chase. Do I need it for everything?
lol no, I use Shamiko for company portal, one drive and teams :D. No harm in having it.

ropapermaker

Aug 26, 2017
I've used Pixel 4a Android 10 fingerprint in MagiskHideProps Config, along with renaming the Magisk app and freezing it with Ice Box.

I've used this combination mostly for banking apps but changing the fingerprint fixed Wallet for me. This setup worked good in 12 and now after installing 13 it seems that it still hasn't detected root.

I don't know if it's temporary or if it will persist.

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
lol no, I use Shamiko for company portal, one drive and teams :D. No harm in having it.
The only reason I carry 2 phones is because I don't trust myself to put company stuff on my personal one when I'm wiping so often. So many MFA tokens to keep in tact.

And I don't feel like enrolling my phone. My project manager did this and I'm just dumbfounded.

Reactions: WhoIsJohnGalt1979

cd993

May 8, 2009
London
OnePlus 12

elknetld2kil

Nov 26, 2012
Tried using this method to update 12.1 to 13 stable, the update went through but I got a bootloop. Somehow I managed to get into safe mode and then rebooted and it went to the OS so I'm good. I probably messed up because I didn't disable the magisk modules before I did the update.

Thanks!

Reactions: basily
I upgraded (from Android 12), retaining root & data, following usual steps:

- unzip download, cd into directory, unzip included zip
- adb push boot.img /sdcard/
- patch boot.img with Magisk
- adb pull /sdcard/Download/magish_patched_XXX.img
- uninstall Magisk from within app
- reboot
- adb reboot bootloader
- modify flash-all.sh (remove -w flag)
- run the flash-all.sh script and let it finish (!!! this takes time)
- reboot normally, start phone (takes some time), let it settle, go beyond lock screen (it will install some more stuff)
- adb reboot bootloader
- fastboot boot magisk_patched_XYZ.img
- Magisk app should be auto-installed, it will ask to reboot
- adb reboot bootloader
- (again) fastboot boot magisk_patched_XYZ.img
- open Magisk app again and do a direct install
- reboot, you have root now
- reinstall Magisk modules, hide Magisk ... whatever you want to do

Have you tried with disabled vbmeta and disabled verity?

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Tried using this method to update 12.1 to 13 stable, the update went through but I got a bootloop. Somehow I managed to get into safe mode and then rebooted and it went to the OS so I'm good. I probably messed up because I didn't disable the magisk modules before I did the update.

Thanks!
Yeah, sounds like a mod(s) caused a bootloop since you booted fine after going into safe mode. Your mods will be disabled after rebooting from safe mode.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Caution: I originally wrote this guide when it was necessary to disable verity and verification before flashing patched boot.img. Now Magisk has overcome this requirement and some users have reportedly flashed updates without disabling verification and verity and did not have to wipe their phones, but request everyone, who have verification and verity disabled and using this guide, make sure you backup all the data and post your results here (I suggest backing up data anyway for everyone).

Following is a guide to update Pixel 6 Pro (perhaps all Pixel devices) every month, without wiping and retaining root. I tested it on my Pixel 6 Pro from 12.0.0 (SD1A.210817.015.A4, Oct 2021) to 12.0.0 (SD1A.210817.036, Nov 2021). There is no reason that it should not work on subsequent monthly patches, but just take the backups to be sure.

1) Download the latest factory image for your device and platform-tools from the official Google site and extract them in one folder.

2) Extract the boot.img from image-raven-xxxxxxx.zip which was extracted from the image in the above step and patch it in Magisk Manager (latest canary build from https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk) on your phone and copy it back to the folder where you extracted the factory image and platform-tools. Rename the copied file to magisk_patched.img

3) Open flash-all.bat in notepad, add --skip-reboot and remove -w from the fastboot update line. Also add the following lines after the fastboot update line to flash the Magisk patched boot.img automatically:

fastboot reboot-bootloader
    ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
    fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
    fastboot reboot

After editing, the edited part of your flash-all.bat should look something like this:

Code:
    fastboot --skip-reboot update [****image_name****]
    ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
    fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
    fastboot reboot

echo Press any key to exit...

Note: [****image_name****] is just a placeholder and needs to be the name of zip file which was originally there in flash-all.bat, do not change that. Be careful to rename the Magisk patched boot.img to magisk_patched.img or in the alternative make appropriate modifications in the flash-all.bat

4) Open command prompt and go the folder where you extracted factory image and platform-tools. Type the following commands:

adb reboot bootloader
    flash-all.bat

Your device should be upgraded to the latest factory image, while retaining root, without wiping data.

Update 1: I updated from 12.0.0 (SD1A.210817.036, Nov 2021) to 12.0.0 (SD1A.210817.037, Nov 2021) successfully using my method, without loosing data and root.

Update 2: I updated from 12.0.0 (SD1A.210817.037, Nov 2021) to 12.0.0 (SQ1D.211205.016.A1, Dec 2021) successfully using my method, without loosing data and root.

Update 3: I updated from 12.0.0 (SQ1D.211205.016.A1, Dec 2021) to 12.0.0 (SQ1D.220105.007, Jan 2022) successfully using my method, without loosing data and root.

Update 4: I updated from 12.0.0 (SQ1D.220105.007, Jan 2022) to 12.0.0 (SQ1D.220205.003, Feb 2022) successfully using my method, without loosing data and root.

Update 5: I updated from 12.0.0 (SQ1D.220205.003, Feb 2022) to Android 12L DP 3 successfully using my method, without loosing data and root.

Update 6: I updated from Android 12L DP 3 to Android 13 DP successfully using my method, without loosing data and root.
    Just tried this on my P6Pro. Managed to update from .015 to .036 and retained root.
    Also still passing SafetyNet with USNF 2.2 beta
    I don't know why folks continue to have issues updating when a new Android update is released. Despite Magisk having the option to install to an inactive slot for easy OTA updating, I simply avoid it and go the old-school route of updating via sideload to prevent any issues.

In hopes of putting to rest issues some of you face, here is what I do:

• Make a backup of all my important files in case something goes wrong
    • Disable any Magisk modules if it makes you feel any safer
    • Download the OTA image online and NOT from the system update!
    • Reboot to recovery and sideload the OTA by using:
    Code:
    adb reboot sideload
    • Then, in recovery I load up the file by using:
    Code:
    adb sideload "insert OTA file name here.zip"
    • Once it finishes, you will be in recovery mode. Select "Reboot to system now".
    • Once the system reboots, I unlock the device and let it finish completing the update before anything else.
    I then proceed to root the device as I normally would, by:
    • Getting the NEW boot.img file from the full factory image
    • Copy it to my mobile device
    • Open up Magisk and patch the boot.img file
    • Copy the patched file to my PC
    • Reboot into bootloader using:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Then, patch the new boot.img using:

Code:
    fastboot flash boot "patched_boot.img"

Reboot / Done.

I have not had it fail once using this process on stable Magisk and NO "disable" tags. The only reason I can see for anyone to use Canary versions of Magisk or "disable" tags, is if its absolutely required for some modules, ROMs, or kernels you are using. If it's not needed, just leave it alone.

You could technically just dirty flash the entire full factory image using the Android Flash Tool or flash-all.bat script on your PC, but the script file is where I find most folks mess up because they copy and pasted instructions improperly, or there's a line of code they forgot to add or remove without proofreading before running the script. I'd rather take matters into my own hands, even if it means completing more steps to make sure things go smoothly.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone!
    So I notice there are some people, like me, that are a bit confused on how to exactly do this process. I like to be nice every once in a while, so this is my time. I will try to do a step by step process with exactly how I did after reading, and re-reading all the comments on how to do it (with pictures cuz I need pictures to learn haha).

These are the exact steps I took when I updated from .36 to .37

I downloaded the .37 zip, the one for your phone, mine is an unlocked version.
    LaL2hSk_0qyLp5oaPEuURPDf5vItZ4YnlNFR2UPtQMRGIvceVoBc8nGvxpmu90RonBslivQblX8-YrygqYIrtbz1B7AvAPk8lKQ4z5jctSVh97hWwkzuO2kK2Os7doqxiUK-HJrx

Slapped the .37 zip file into a folder by itself so I can extract it inside that same folder. It should look like this once its extracted inside the same folder.

1637794601085.png

Then I opened another folder/window with the Platform-tools so I can easily navigate between the 2 folders.

Then I opened the flash-all.bat from the zipped folder, to see what it contains, noticed that it flashes 3 files/images.
    “bootloader-raven-slider”
    “radio-raven”
    “Image-raven-sd1a”
    b-Lrwcu7O5sU1Yges_LPc33ynTBNbVMki5KPtndnhgTLKp05njPQO_uoik6Tw11_tDyM7jCAlm0SjBbzK6b7MOkoKSOku9uhclnTclBZPDDfHumwjqLNrtHKRJ2yUoRf1B_y8EPW

Then close the file as we dont need it right now.

So with this I know that I will need to add those 3 files to the platform-tools folder when I go to actually run the command.

I actually took the .37 boot.img and copied it into my pixel with version .36 still running.
    The boot.img is inside the zipped folder and when you extracted it, it will now be viewable along with other files and the zipped folder still there.
    1637794847696.png

copy this boot into the main folder of the pixel
    1637795054884.png

On your Pixel, open Magisk and click install then select patch file, navigate to the boot.img file in your internal storage.
    Patch it with Magisk and then take the patched boot.img (which that file will actually be in your downloads folder in your Pixel) and copied it back to my computer.

So as of now, it seems we are able to patch boot.img with current build without having to update then patch then flash. We can just patch on the current build then copy the patch to the computer and run the rest of the steps.

Now that I have the patched boot.img on my computer, I will take all the highlighted files in the picture, plus the patched boot.img over to the Platforms-tools folder and just copy them in that folder.
    Here, I’m not sure how everyone else has their folder since I rarely use those tools, so I just add the files and then delete them after I’m done flashing. See picture of all copied in files. (dont forget your patched boot.img)

-Q2fqEHQmA5DPStoBV4ht9FVinUy7MD2GF4bi38EhGlItokhERTlrJAknwjGtSGXeMTVPnQn-6FZwXFqLJljCjYmrh3rYl4XPrDdLoyBO4QSOaaact8E2FvXwxjCZRfudWUgt_3m

Now I will open the flash-all.bat that's inside the Platform-tools using Notepad ++ (personal preference).
    Edit this file exactly like in the picture. Add the lines exactly how it shows in the picture.
    **NOTE** that you need to type the exact patched boot file in there. So, like in this picture, but with YOUR patched "magisk_patched" file as this will have your own ID after 23014.
    1637734768289.png

once you made the edits on this file, dont forget to save it before you run the commands!

Now plug in your phone to the computer.
    Make sure you have USB debugging turned on.
    Press shift and right click inside the Platform-tools folder and open Command Prompt.
    run these 2 commands:
    adb reboot bootloader
    flash-all.bat

When it's all done, your phone will boot up and you will be on the new .37
    Nothing else to add here as it will literally run through everything for you and boot up and you're done.

Hope this helps someone, as I am a visual learner myself.
    couldnt we just add step 5 into the flash-all file? for example:
    fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-xxxxx.img
    fastboot reboot

like in the picture? or would it not actually run that way?
    View attachment 5465521
    holy poop that worked!! i was scared to try it myself but since i have a backup phone with all my data on it, it wouldnt be so bad to wipe the pixel if i messed it up doing it this way! But hey, it actually worked!!
    here is the modified flash-all and yes you will need the "ping" line after the update line.
    1637619349812.png

so with this, no need to type extra stuff, just add it all in the flash-all file and run the first 2 commands:
    adb reboot bootloader
    flash-all.bat

and thats it, the only time consuming part is patching the boot, putting it in the folder with the platform-tools.