How To Guide Method to upgrade every month, without wiping data and retaining root

Search This thread

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
The two slots are updated and upgraded alternately every month.
If you take the actual Over The Air update, then this is true. If you manually update your phone, then it depends on which method you use to manually flash your phone, and one of the two OTA methods - the one that flashes the other slot, is very hit and mostly miss for working with Magisk. Magisk has removed support for it yet again because it's a buggy method.

Flash-All.Bat doesn't switch slots.

Sideload full OTA does switch slots.

Edit: See further posts on this page regarding suggestions to get Magisk working with the OTA other slot method.

Last edited:

Homeboy76

Recognized Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
If you take the actual Over The Air update, then this is true. If you manually update your phone, then it depends on which method you use to manually flash your phone, and one of the two OTA methods - the one that flashes the other slot, is very hit and mostly miss for working with Magisk. Magisk has removed support for it yet again because it's a buggy method.

So, if I want to flash the Factory image and Magisk to the other slot each time I update the factory image. I should edit the flash-all.bat file:

* * * Edited flash-all.bat file * * *
...@ECHO OFF
PATH=%PATH%;"%SYSTEMROOT%\System32"
fastboot --set-active=other
fastboot reboot-bootloader
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-aaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaa-9.9-9999999.img
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
fastboot flash radio radio-aaaaaa-a9999a-999999-999999-a-9999999.img
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
fastboot -- skip-reboot update image-aaaaaa-tp1a.999999.999.zip
Note: I removed the -w to Keep Data.
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-25203_AaAAA.img
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
echo Press any key to exit...
pause >nul
exit

Last edited:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
So, if I want to flash the Factory image and Magisk to the other slot each time I update the factory image. I should edit the flash-all.bat file:

* * * Edited flash-all.bat file * * *
...@ECHO OFF
PATH=%PATH%;"%SYSTEMROOT%\System32"
fastboot --set-active=other
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-aaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaa-9.9-9999999.img
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
fastboot flash radio radio-aaaaaa-a9999a-999999-999999-a-9999999.img
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
fastboot -- skip-reboot update image-aaaaaa-tp1a.999999.999.zip
Note:I removed the -w to Keep Data.
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-25203_AaAAA.img
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul

pause >nul
exit
That looks exactly correct to me.

Reactions: Homeboy76

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
One thing I noticed, and want to make others aware is when I upgrade monthly I have to re-root (this isn't the new part), but after re-rooting it causes the following hiccup: The Magisk Module "Audio Compatibility Patch" has to be reapplied every time you update the OS to re-apply the patches.
Yeah, that sometimes happens with JamesDSP as well for me.

TheDeliverator

Sep 22, 2022
I just followed this method to update from the August patch (TP1A.220624.021) to the September patch (TP1A.220905.004). Everything (root included) was working fine on the Aug patch, but after following these steps to flash the Sept patch my phone will not turn on. This isn't a soft-brick or bootloop, the screen is fully dead and no combination of button holding so far has managed to get even a glimmer of life out of it.
More details:
  • It's a brand new Pixel 6 Pro, pulled it out of the box two days ago and it hasn't experience any trauma or anything.
  • After applying the patch, it tried to boot twice (made it to the google logo, displayed a progress bar), but failed, taking it back to the 'Bootloader is unlocked' screen. After this, it shut off entirely and there is no life in it whatsoever.
  • The battery was at ~60% when I was performing the update, so a dead battery is unlikely to be the issue. Just in case I have it plugged in right now, but again no glimmer of life or anything.
  • My computer doesn't seem to be able to recognize it when it is plugged in. I've tried adb, fastboot, and lsusb.
Any thoughts or words of wisdom, or do I just try and claim the warranty on this thing and hope they can't tell the bootloader was unlocked?

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
I just followed this method to update from the August patch (TP1A.220624.021) to the September patch (TP1A.220905.004). Everything (root included) was working fine on the Aug patch, but after following these steps to flash the Sept patch my phone will not turn on. This isn't a soft-brick or bootloop, the screen is fully dead and no combination of button holding so far has managed to get even a glimmer of life out of it.
More details:
  • It's a brand new Pixel 6 Pro, pulled it out of the box two days ago and it hasn't experience any trauma or anything.
  • After applying the patch, it tried to boot twice (made it to the google logo, displayed a progress bar), but failed, taking it back to the 'Bootloader is unlocked' screen. After this, it shut off entirely and there is no life in it whatsoever.
  • The battery was at ~60% when I was performing the update, so a dead battery is unlikely to be the issue. Just in case I have it plugged in right now, but again no glimmer of life or anything.
  • My computer doesn't seem to be able to recognize it when it is plugged in. I've tried adb, fastboot, and lsusb.
Any thoughts or words of wisdom, or do I just try and claim the warranty on this thing and hope they can't tell the bootloader was unlocked?
Did you have, at the minimum, the A13 bootloader flashed to both slots to avoid the new ARB shenanigans before trying to update? If not, it sounds like your device reverted to the inactive/A12 slot when it bootlooped and bricked your phone. From reports from this forum, Google has been pretty good at accepting RMAs when this has happened so I would try that route, unfortunately. Having your bootloader unlocked shouldn't matter to them.

TheDeliverator

Sep 22, 2022
Did you have, at the minimum, the A13 bootloader flashed to both slots to avoid the new ARB shenanigans before trying to update? If not, it sounds like your device reverted to the inactive/A12 slot when it bootlooped and bricked your phone. From reports from this forum, Google has been pretty good at accepting RMAs when this has happened so I would try that route, unfortunately. Having your bootloader unlocked shouldn't matter to them.
I did not, unfortunately, and yeah that seems to be the issue. Good to hear google will probably RMA this brick.

mkhcb

Nov 2, 2012

Since when did Magisk disable the OTA root other slot feature? I used this method for the Sept update.

Reactions: Lughnasadh

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Since when did Magisk disable the OTA root other slot feature? I used this method for the Sept update.
I am curious too. I've heard someone else say that support for this was removed for the Pixel 6 series , but I've searched through the commits and the changelogs and could not find any change relating to this. I know support was removed for Pixels a couple of years ago but was added back earlier this year. And their is no note in the documentation referring to support removal like there was when he removed it a couple of years ago.

It is, however, hit and miss for a lot of people.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I was definitely going by what someone else said since I don't ever use an OTA method, as @Lughnasadh observed someone else said, too, but I don't know who it was (I thought it was @Lughnasadh! LOL!), and I've been so crazy busy in real life this week that I can't try to find the reference right now.

I'll try to get around to searching and let you know if I find it, if someone else doesn't find it first.

Reactions: Lughnasadh

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
I was definitely going by what someone else said since I don't ever use an OTA method, as @Lughnasadh observed someone else said, too, but I don't know who it was (I thought it was @Lughnasadh! LOL!), and I've been so crazy busy in real life this week that I can't try to find the reference right now.

I'll try to get around to searching and let you know if I find it, if someone else doesn't find it first.
I think it was shoey63.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Yeah it was me. Saw it posted in an issue on Magisk GitHub. Maybe they fixed it (again).
Will find out next month 🤞
Think I found the issue you were talking about. Don't see anyone has submitted a Pull Request for it though so it doesn't look like a fix is in the works. Since @mkhcb was able to successfully use this method for the September update, I'm wondering if there is a workaround that users can do if they wish to, such as disabling verity and verification and/or disabling all Magisk mods beforehand (per mkhcb's comment above). I also noticed in capntrips logs that there were a few verity and dm-verity errors.

I guess in the end it appears it still does work (since mkhcb used it successfully last month and I'm pretty sure I've seen a few others use it successfully in recent times, either in these forums or on another not to be named platform), but the right conditions have to be met. In practice, this means it won't work for the majority of users, as we have seen.

I guess if one were really interested they could disable verity and verification and see if it works. Possibly disabling verity alone since just disabling verity (without disabling verification) doesn't require a wipe. And disabling all Magisk mods.

Anyway...

shoey63

Recognized Contributor
@Lughnasadh
Yep, that's the issue. Good job finding it👍
I have never disabled Verity or verification, so you may be on to something.
I'll try disabling Verity on next update and see if it works. . . .

Edit: Not confident though. The act of modifying the vbmeta partition may cause the OTA update to abort, as I'm pretty sure all partitions need to be untouched stock before it will proceed .

Last edited:

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Edit: Not confident though. The act of modifying the vbmeta partition may cause the OTA update to abort, as I'm pretty sure all partitions need to be untouched stock before it will proceed .
Yeah, that very well could end up being the case. What is interesting, though, is that a few (2-3) people reported that they were able to update from A12 to A13 (via normal OTA, not the "Install to inactive slot" method) while rooted. Normally the OTA would fail because it would fail the pre-OTA block verifications because of being rooted . Of course they lost root afterwards, but they were at least able to successfully update while rooted. This makes me wonder of Google altered some of their pre-OTA verification checks. And if so, was it just for when upgrading from A12 to A13 or maybe applies to A13 in general? Normally I would have thought this was an "outlier" if 1 person reported this, but I remember at least 2 (maybe 3) reporting this.

Anyway, just thought I'd through that little tidbit into the conversation and I guess some of our questions may or may not be answered come October 🙃

Dataman100

Nov 23, 2010
FYI. I've used the method in the OP every time I've upgraded since I got the phone at launch, and I've not had any issues. I always disable verity and verification by adding the flags in flash-all.bat. I don't disable any Magisk modules before but I only have systemless hosts and USNF installed. After I installed A13, I reflashed the bootloader to both slots '--slot all' to be sure I didn't have an A12 bootloader anywhere. When I flashed the most recent update, I added the fastboot commands to switch to the other slot before flashing '--set active=other' as indicated earlier in this thread.

I hope that helps anyone having issues.

Dataman100

Nov 23, 2010
I can confirm that using the OP method, changing slots, disabling verity and verification, using Magisk (25203) worked with no issues for the Oct update. Best of luck to everyone!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Caution: I originally wrote this guide when it was necessary to disable verity and verification before flashing patched boot.img. Now Magisk has overcome this requirement and some users have reportedly flashed updates without disabling verification and verity and did not have to wipe their phones, but request everyone, who have verification and verity disabled and using this guide, make sure you backup all the data and post your results here (I suggest backing up data anyway for everyone).

Following is a guide to update Pixel 6 Pro (perhaps all Pixel devices) every month, without wiping and retaining root. I tested it on my Pixel 6 Pro from 12.0.0 (SD1A.210817.015.A4, Oct 2021) to 12.0.0 (SD1A.210817.036, Nov 2021). There is no reason that it should not work on subsequent monthly patches, but just take the backups to be sure.

1) Download the latest factory image for your device and platform-tools from the official Google site and extract them in one folder.

2) Extract the boot.img from image-raven-xxxxxxx.zip which was extracted from the image in the above step and patch it in Magisk Manager (latest canary build from https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk) on your phone and copy it back to the folder where you extracted the factory image and platform-tools. Rename the copied file to magisk_patched.img

3) Open flash-all.bat in notepad, add --skip-reboot and remove -w from the fastboot update line. Also add the following lines after the fastboot update line to flash the Magisk patched boot.img automatically:

ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
    fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
    fastboot reboot

After editing, the edited part of your flash-all.bat should look something like this:

Code:
    fastboot --skip-reboot update [****image_name****]
    ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
    fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
    fastboot reboot

Note: [****image_name****] is just a placeholder and needs to be the name of zip file which was originally there in flash-all.bat, do not change that. Be careful to rename the Magisk patched boot.img to magisk_patched.img or in the alternative make appropriate modifications in the flash-all.bat

4) Open command prompt and go the folder where you extracted factory image and platform-tools. Type the following commands:

adb reboot bootloader
    flash-all.bat

Your device should be upgraded to the latest factory image, while retaining root, without wiping data.

Update 1: I updated from 12.0.0 (SD1A.210817.036, Nov 2021) to 12.0.0 (SD1A.210817.037, Nov 2021) successfully using my method, without loosing data and root.

Update 2: I updated from 12.0.0 (SD1A.210817.037, Nov 2021) to 12.0.0 (SQ1D.211205.016.A1, Dec 2021) successfully using my method, without loosing data and root.

Update 3: I updated from 12.0.0 (SQ1D.211205.016.A1, Dec 2021) to 12.0.0 (SQ1D.220105.007, Jan 2022) successfully using my method, without loosing data and root.

Update 4: I updated from 12.0.0 (SQ1D.220105.007, Jan 2022) to 12.0.0 (SQ1D.220205.003, Feb 2022) successfully using my method, without loosing data and root.

Update 5: I updated from 12.0.0 (SQ1D.220205.003, Feb 2022) to Android 12L DP 3 successfully using my method, without loosing data and root.

Update 6: I updated from Android 12L DP 3 to Android 13 DP successfully using my method, without loosing data and root.
    Just tried this on my P6Pro. Managed to update from .015 to .036 and retained root.
    Also still passing SafetyNet with USNF 2.2 beta
    I don't know why folks continue to have issues updating when a new Android update is released. Despite Magisk having the option to install to an inactive slot for easy OTA updating, I simply avoid it and go the old-school route of updating via sideload to prevent any issues.

In hopes of putting to rest issues some of you face, here is what I do:

• Make a backup of all my important files in case something goes wrong
    • Disable any Magisk modules if it makes you feel any safer
    • Download the OTA image online and NOT from the system update!
    • Reboot to recovery and sideload the OTA by using:
    Code:
    adb reboot sideload
    • Then, in recovery I load up the file by using:
    Code:
    adb sideload "insert OTA file name here.zip"
    • Once it finishes, you will be in recovery mode. Select "Reboot to system now".
    • Once the system reboots, I unlock the device and let it finish completing the update before anything else.
    I then proceed to root the device as I normally would, by:
    • Getting the NEW boot.img file from the full factory image
    • Copy it to my mobile device
    • Open up Magisk and patch the boot.img file
    • Copy the patched file to my PC
    • Reboot into bootloader using:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Then, patch the new boot.img using:

Code:
    fastboot flash boot "patched_boot.img"

Reboot / Done.

I have not had it fail once using this process on stable Magisk and NO "disable" tags. The only reason I can see for anyone to use Canary versions of Magisk or "disable" tags, is if its absolutely required for some modules, ROMs, or kernels you are using. If it's not needed, just leave it alone.

You could technically just dirty flash the entire full factory image using the Android Flash Tool or flash-all.bat script on your PC, but the script file is where I find most folks mess up because they copy and pasted instructions improperly, or there's a line of code they forgot to add or remove without proofreading before running the script. I'd rather take matters into my own hands, even if it means completing more steps to make sure things go smoothly.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone!
    So I notice there are some people, like me, that are a bit confused on how to exactly do this process. I like to be nice every once in a while, so this is my time. I will try to do a step by step process with exactly how I did after reading, and re-reading all the comments on how to do it (with pictures cuz I need pictures to learn haha).

These are the exact steps I took when I updated from .36 to .37

I downloaded the .37 zip, the one for your phone, mine is an unlocked version.
    LaL2hSk_0qyLp5oaPEuURPDf5vItZ4YnlNFR2UPtQMRGIvceVoBc8nGvxpmu90RonBslivQblX8-YrygqYIrtbz1B7AvAPk8lKQ4z5jctSVh97hWwkzuO2kK2Os7doqxiUK-HJrx

Slapped the .37 zip file into a folder by itself so I can extract it inside that same folder. It should look like this once its extracted inside the same folder.

1637794601085.png

Then I opened another folder/window with the Platform-tools so I can easily navigate between the 2 folders.

Then I opened the flash-all.bat from the zipped folder, to see what it contains, noticed that it flashes 3 files/images.
    “bootloader-raven-slider”
    “radio-raven”
    “Image-raven-sd1a”
    b-Lrwcu7O5sU1Yges_LPc33ynTBNbVMki5KPtndnhgTLKp05njPQO_uoik6Tw11_tDyM7jCAlm0SjBbzK6b7MOkoKSOku9uhclnTclBZPDDfHumwjqLNrtHKRJ2yUoRf1B_y8EPW

Then close the file as we dont need it right now.

So with this I know that I will need to add those 3 files to the platform-tools folder when I go to actually run the command.

I actually took the .37 boot.img and copied it into my pixel with version .36 still running.
    The boot.img is inside the zipped folder and when you extracted it, it will now be viewable along with other files and the zipped folder still there.
    1637794847696.png

copy this boot into the main folder of the pixel
    1637795054884.png

On your Pixel, open Magisk and click install then select patch file, navigate to the boot.img file in your internal storage.
    Patch it with Magisk and then take the patched boot.img (which that file will actually be in your downloads folder in your Pixel) and copied it back to my computer.

So as of now, it seems we are able to patch boot.img with current build without having to update then patch then flash. We can just patch on the current build then copy the patch to the computer and run the rest of the steps.

Now that I have the patched boot.img on my computer, I will take all the highlighted files in the picture, plus the patched boot.img over to the Platforms-tools folder and just copy them in that folder.
    Here, I’m not sure how everyone else has their folder since I rarely use those tools, so I just add the files and then delete them after I’m done flashing. See picture of all copied in files. (dont forget your patched boot.img)

-Q2fqEHQmA5DPStoBV4ht9FVinUy7MD2GF4bi38EhGlItokhERTlrJAknwjGtSGXeMTVPnQn-6FZwXFqLJljCjYmrh3rYl4XPrDdLoyBO4QSOaaact8E2FvXwxjCZRfudWUgt_3m

Now I will open the flash-all.bat that's inside the Platform-tools using Notepad ++ (personal preference).
    Edit this file exactly like in the picture. Add the lines exactly how it shows in the picture.
    **NOTE** that you need to type the exact patched boot file in there. So, like in this picture, but with YOUR patched "magisk_patched" file as this will have your own ID after 23014.
    1637734768289.png

once you made the edits on this file, dont forget to save it before you run the commands!

Now plug in your phone to the computer.
    Make sure you have USB debugging turned on.
    Press shift and right click inside the Platform-tools folder and open Command Prompt.
    run these 2 commands:
    adb reboot bootloader
    flash-all.bat

When it's all done, your phone will boot up and you will be on the new .37
    Nothing else to add here as it will literally run through everything for you and boot up and you're done.

Hope this helps someone, as I am a visual learner myself.
    couldnt we just add step 5 into the flash-all file? for example:
    fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-xxxxx.img
    fastboot reboot

like in the picture? or would it not actually run that way?
    View attachment 5465521
    holy poop that worked!! i was scared to try it myself but since i have a backup phone with all my data on it, it wouldnt be so bad to wipe the pixel if i messed it up doing it this way! But hey, it actually worked!!
    here is the modified flash-all and yes you will need the "ping" line after the update line.
    1637619349812.png

so with this, no need to type extra stuff, just add it all in the flash-all file and run the first 2 commands:
    adb reboot bootloader
    flash-all.bat

and thats it, the only time consuming part is patching the boot, putting it in the folder with the platform-tools.