MHA-L29 c636 approved Oreo FF

Search This thread

mrpurple66

Oct 3, 2010
Yes, it'll work, C636 user here. Get unlock code from Huawei website, unlock bootloader, install TWRP, flash Magisk or supersu zip for root.
I already done that procedure, but now i have to upgrade from 368 to 371, and i think is a little bit different. looking also to see if there is a way for not loose the data

Nikorasu

Jan 2, 2010
I already done that procedure, but now i have to upgrade from 368 to 371, and i think is a little bit different. looking also to see if there is a way for not loose the data

Use hwota8 method with twrp to install 372 (latest). Always check firmware finder if update will erase data. I have installed both 371 and 372 and both doesn't erase data but it will be good to backup via TWRP or titanium backup before updating.

Hwota8 link: https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/for...ate-9-flash-oreo-update-package-t3699522/amp/

Attachments

• IMG_20180627_052139.jpg
    IMG_20180627_052139.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 99

mrpurple66

Oct 3, 2010
Use hwota8 method with twrp to install 372 (latest). Always check firmware finder if update will erase data. I have installed both 371 and 372 and both doesn't erase data but it will be good to backup via TWRP or titanium backup before updating.

Hwota8 link: https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/for...ate-9-flash-oreo-update-package-t3699522/amp/

Hello and thanks for share the method.
i'm get lost in the step Flash Update D. Create "HWOTA8" directory in MTP sdcard. How you do it ?

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
need dload files offline for Oreo C636 for update my mate9
Huawei, Firmwares, M series, look both at MHA-L09 and MHA-L29

By taking a quick look I've seen 8.0.0, 9.0.1 and 9.1.0 c636 firmwares.
I never tried but I'm pretty sure (at that time I was thinking of buying the cheaper L09 and rebranding to L29) that here, on XDA Mate 9 forum it was posted how L09 (single SIM) can be rebranded to L29 (dual SIM)

Downloading from that site requires (at least it required 2-3 years ago when I used it once) a subscription - if you really need your firmware desperately, you will figure out the most suitable subscription model for you (they have also free subscription but with certain, annoying limitations)

aureliolage

May 25, 2019
Contagem

I never tried but I'm pretty sure (at that time I was thinking of buying the cheaper L09 and rebranding to L29) that here, on XDA Mate 9 forum it was posted how L09 (single SIM) can be rebranded to L29 (dual SIM)

Downloading from that site requires (at least it required 2-3 years ago when I used it once) a subscription - if you really need your firmware desperately, you will figure out the most suitable subscription model for you (they have also free subscription but with certain, annoying limitations)
Problema que já baixei 2 firmwares deste site e não aceito dload, alguns dizem que o arquivo UPDATE.APP é muito grande para ser copiado para o cartão SD,

Problem is that I already downloaded 2 files from that site and it didn't work to do DLoad. There is an Update.app that cannot copy into the Sdcard. Others are not recognized

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Problema que já baixei 2 firmwares deste site e não aceito dload, alguns dizem que o arquivo UPDATE.APP é muito grande para ser copiado para o cartão SD,

Problem is that I already downloaded 2 files from that site and it didn't work to do DLoad. There is an Update.app that cannot copy into the Sdcard. Others are not recognized
What is exactly your current firmware name as from Settings About?
And what were the names of firnwares you downliaded and tried to install?
Just to compare did you try to dload valid firmwares for your existing model

Don't know for your particular firnwares (some may contain Installation instructions and the matrix from which firnwares they are valid for upgrading,) but some firnwares must not be unzipoed, instead the two or three zip files inside contained (like update.zip, etc) must be dloaded - not the unzipped files like update.app, etc

There is another thread with instructions how to unlock bootloader. Once you unlock the bootloader you don't more depend on the rare c636 firmwares (you see that you cannot find them, and Huawei removed the firmwares and provides no more support for your phone), but you can then rebrand to c432 - firmwares and guides and everything that will be much easier to find

Btw, Huawei was fully supporting the phone back in 2019 and pushing OTA for Pie (except in US) - some people didn't want to update then, now when the phone is no more supported, there is no live community anymore (people long ago moved to other phones) and stores like FirmwareFinder are turned off, now some prople desperately want to upgrade the old phones from the ancient Oreo - unfortunately under the current circumstances, too late and might be nearly impossible to find firmwares for particular custs like c636

Last edited:

aureliolage

May 25, 2019
Contagem
my model is MHA-L29C636B110 nougat Emui 5 I tried to install the latest Nougat and oreo C636 but the update.app is not recognized as an update. I can't unlock the bootloader because it is paid and I don't have any more money and there are also no more files in the Firmware Finder to make Hwota or Hwota8.

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
but why is there no update via Ota or Erecovery? depending on Dload is bad, I already searched a lot on google and forums and I don’t find the right Dload
For P9 (probably also the other old models) I also see people complaining now that OTA does no more come (btw, you cannot expect OTA without a valid SIM card) and that Huawei servers have removed the firmwares that were previously available

When Mate 9 was supported, there was a time in 2017-2018 (OTA, eRecovery, etc) to upgrade to Oreo/EMUI 8 and in 2019-2020 to upgrade to Pie/EMUI 9

In the good old times only some packages on Firmware Finder were suitable for DLOAD (but there was a system how to recognize on FF which of them are), hence the firmwares from halabtech (with no consistent naming and organization, just what/how somebody upliaded) may not be suitable for dload either - but they can be flashed by the proper TWRP (you would need unlocked bootloader and TWRP for Mate 9 for Nougat - since you are on Nougat now)

Unlocking bootloader is possible for free on Mate 9 - link to instrucrtions were posted (I did post and I saw somebody confirmed it indeed worked for Mate 9) in one another thread here on XDA for Mate 9 (you can search for, I don't recall which thread exactly, it was half a year ago). But the procedure requires physically opening the phone and pin-pointing the Test point connections on the motherboard

Last edited:

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
hummm is possible unlock bootloader via testpoint? i I will try to search ... my friend thank you very much for your help and attention
See:

aureliolage

May 25, 2019
Contagem
See:

so but if i can unlock the bootloader how will i update via hwota or hwota8 if there are no more 3 firmware Finder files?

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
so but if i can unlock the bootloader how will i update via hwota or hwota8 if there are no more 3 firmware Finder files?
I never used HWOTA or HWOTA for Mate.
I did use HWOTA-7 for P9, it required three update zip components, and it worked fine.
Of course, at that time P9 was still supported and it was possible to obtain needed firmwares

You have to see yourself which files are needed (HWOTA 8 should be for starting with Oreo, and it should be adapted for the type of firmwares for Oreo)

Don't know if by HWOTA you mean HWOTA 7 for Nougat - Nougat firmwarwes usually consisted of three components

Even if you download from halabtech, when you unpack, it must contain update.zip and the other, one or two zip files - same way as the firmwares on FirmwarecFinder had (somebody e.g downloaded from Firmware Finder and uploaded to Halabtech)

Again, sorry, but that is the situation - when the tools and guides were written, everything was referring to the firmwares available on Fitrmware Finder.
Now when Firmware Finder is dead, you have to figure out yourself where to find the appropriate firmware, etc.
If something is not in accordance to how a tool like HWOTA needs, go directly to its thread and ask there - there will be the best chance that somebody who developped or used the tool can help you

HWOTA methods internally use TWRP. You must be careful that you use HWOTA/TWRP for Mate 9.
HWOTA x (x=7,8,9) means that it is adapted for N, O or Pie - you must be careful to use the right one since TWRP versions are different because partition structures for different EMUI versions (5.1, 8, 9) are different

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It says official but it isn't.. I upgraded my mate 9 5 days ago and there's a problem with it..

Downloaded app called (my Device) and look at Device info.

User : test (Name of user for internal engineering build)
    Host: wuhjk0390cna (Name of user for internal engineering build)

Many 3rd app are blocked error - 501 antutu, CpuZ and other apps that can show us the system info.. Look like they don't want the owner know that this was a test for [internal engineering build purposes]

They're monitoring. Damn!! Only few active owner get this Internal engineering build test around the world on each country.

---------- Post added 18th December 2017 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 17th December 2017 at 11:54 PM ----------

Hi
    Today in FF I was checking the Android 8.0 ROMs for my model MHA-L29 c636 and one firmware was activated, so I update. Is this the official or beta firmware? please see the screenshot

I don't have root or unlocked boot

It's for (internal engineering build purposes)
    My device MHA-L29 8.0.0630(C636) same as yours.

Lots of Performance bugs..
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone