• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

MHL support?

Search This thread

whitak3r

May 25, 2009
I recently put a new deck in my car, and the ONE reason I spent the money I did on it is because of the MHL capability. Now it seems all these new phones don't support MHL. None of the newer Samsung do, and it seems if I'm trying to get one of the top competitor phones, MHL is no longer an option?

Did anyone see/read/hear of MHL being a thing on the 6P? If it turns out that MHL isn't an option stock on this phone, is MHL a thing that can be added via a custom rom, or is it purely hardware?

Thanks for ANY and all help guys!!

mattman83

Jan 19, 2011
Brisbane
I recently put a new deck in my car, and the ONE reason I spent the money I did on it is because of the MHL capability. Now it seems all these new phones don't support MHL. None of the newer Samsung do, and it seems if I'm trying to get one of the top competitor phones, MHL is no longer an option?

Did anyone see/read/hear of MHL being a thing on the 6P? If it turns out that MHL isn't an option stock on this phone, is MHL a thing that can be added via a custom rom, or is it purely hardware?

Thanks for ANY and all help guys!!

Haven't seen any news of it, but can confirm there's hardware required as the USB port is different (at least on regular micro usb phones, NFI with USB-C). I can't even plug an MHL cable into my S6, whereas friend with Note 4 it all works easily.

M.

whitak3r

May 25, 2009
That's kind of what I was thinking as well. Apparently they got rid of the MHL support completely in the S6 and Note5 Line. I read that they don't even have MHL in the Nexus 6.... So I'm really afraid they might not have it here either.... Kind of sucks I guess.

Flippy125

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 14, 2010
Las Vegas
I am about ready to tuck a Miracast adapter behind my dashboard. Then there's no fussing with cables or anything

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA Free mobile app

atoy74

Oct 22, 2007
An alternative solution is chromecast has screen mirroring support. Tested it last night with the new chromecast app. Worked very well.

ti2095

Mar 26, 2008
and it does not work. Apparently google took the easy road and implemented only USB2.0 with USB Type C.
This means faster transfer speed - bull
Fast charge only because of qualcomm quick charge 2.0
No alternate modes (MHL, HDMI)
source: droid-life.com nexus-5x-and-6p-reddit-ama-highlights-name-meaning-usb-2-0-no-qi-charging-and-more

italia0101

Nov 9, 2008
and it does not work. Apparently google took the easy road and implemented only USB2.0 with USB Type C.
source: droid-life.com nexus-5x-and-6p-reddit-ama-highlights-name-meaning-usb-2-0-no-qi-charging-and-more
They mentioned in their Q&A, that the usb is 2.0 because it's always on and 3.0 takes more power apparently.

Not sure if correct, just relaying info

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

CNLiberal

Dec 8, 2008
Centennial, CO

From what I understand, this phone does not support Qualcomm's QuickCharge. Every Google page on this phone says "Fast Charging". That's freaking bogus, too. It's part of the Qualcomm 810 processor. Why the heck not??? If the hardware is in there, its possible it could be enabled through a kernel tweak. No guarantees though.

And for that matter, that processor supports wireless charging through metal. Just give me DISPLAYPORT!

DrunkFuX666

Feb 19, 2011
Google Pixel XL
Google Pixel 3a XL
From what I understand, this phone does not support Qualcomm's QuickCharge. Every Google page on this phone says "Fast Charging". That's freaking bogus, too. It's part of the Qualcomm 810 processor. Why the heck not??? If the hardware is in there, its possible it could be enabled through a kernel tweak. No guarantees though.

And for that matter, that processor supports wireless charging through metal. Just give me DISPLAYPORT!
Uhh yes it does support quick charge. 10 mins charge give it 7 hours of use if I remember correctly. This isn't the Oppo OnePlus that tries to sugar coat things and sell you garbage.

Sent from my Nexus 5

klvnhng

Dec 1, 2012
Toronto
No HDMI has been confirmed.
[–]strabbit 135 points 1 day ago
Will either the Nexus 5x or 6p support HDMI via the USB-C connector?

[–]google_nexus_team 115 points 1 day ago
DB> Nope. But Cast mirroring to ChromeCast or Android TV has got really good. And Chromecasts are only $35. And we have new ones announced yesterday.

italia0101

Nov 9, 2008
We know thanks,, posted about 5 times just above yours...

Nothing new here, the Nexus 6 didn't have it either.
Slimport on the Nexus 5 was an LG thing...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

CNLiberal

Dec 8, 2008
Centennial, CO
Uhh yes it does support quick charge. 10 mins charge give it 7 hours of use if I remember correctly. This isn't the Oppo OnePlus that tries to sugar coat things and sell you garbage.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Unfortunately, it does not support "Quick Charge" Everything Google has said is "Fast Charge" which is not the QC standard. All your chargers you have now, are slow and useless to the 6P.

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

Not sure if serious.......

Reactions: whitak3r

Top Liked Posts