Question Mi 11 ultra network bandwidth limit / low Download speeds

Search This thread

lalith

Dec 22, 2010
buffalo
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Hello Xiaomi community, I am using my Mi 11 ultra(Chinese - yet to flash EU rom) on T-mobile in US. I have a oneplus 8T as well which is connected to the same network. When I test these two mobiles, which are connected to HSDPA right next to each other, I get 40mbps download speeds on Oneplus 8t but only 10mbps on mi 11 ultra. Is mi 11 ultra or MiUi limiting the network bandwidth? Are there any settings that I can adjust to see the same speeds? Both seem to be connected on Band 2. Appreciate any help with this. @olkitu, please comment.

avetny

Jul 16, 2010
Private Island.
Hello Xiaomi community, I am using my Mi 11 ultra(Chinese - yet to flash EU rom) on T-mobile in US. I have a oneplus 8T as well which is connected to the same network. When I test these two mobiles, which are connected to HSDPA right next to each other, I get 40mbps download speeds on Oneplus 8t but only 10mbps on mi 11 ultra. Is mi 11 ultra or MiUi limiting the network bandwidth? Are there any settings that I can adjust to see the same speeds? Both seem to be connected on Band 2. Appreciate any help with this. @olkitu, please comment.
*#*#4636#*#*

Attachments

• IMG_20210617_005017.jpg
    IMG_20210617_005017.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 318

lalith

Dec 22, 2010
buffalo
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Thank you for the info @avetny . I have checked both the mobiles and here is what I see. Oneplus 8t mostly connected to LTE, and Mi 11 ultra switching between EDGE, HSPA and if I force the setting to NR/LTE only, it shows LTE but can't browse anything and no data connection at all. Am I missing something? Also am sitting right next to the TMobile 4g LTE personal cell booster box with both these mobiles

This is when mi 11 on EDGE n/w
IMG_20210616_225819.jpg

This is when mi 11 on LTE (with 20mbps download speed)
IMG_20210616_233010.jpg

This is oneplus 8t mostly connected to LTE with 60 to 100mbps download speeds
Screenshot_20210616-225122__01.jpg

Last edited:

xNAPx

Sep 26, 2010
When I get into that menu and I change the network type the setting doesn't stick,why?

avetny

Jul 16, 2010
Private Island.
Check again settings.
Make sure 5G is preferred.
Make sure 5G Smart Switch is off.
This make help too: 5G battery saver is off.

olkitu

Apr 7, 2015
Finland
truong.fi

Well Xiaomi do not support Carrier Aggregation combinations and 5G used in US. Maybe SA only n41 could work but it's by default disabled outside from China.

OnePlus 8T is US model? You should buy device from your own region to avoid issues. As you know you can check on https://cacombos.com website supported bands and carrier aggregation combinations of devices. Make sure it support Carrier Aggregation combinations your carrier use on your area.

lalith

Dec 22, 2010
buffalo
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Well Xiaomi do not support Carrier Aggregation combinations and 5G used in US. Maybe SA only n41 could work but it's by default disabled outside from China.

OnePlus 8T is US model? You should buy device from your own region to avoid issues. As you know you can check on https://cacombos.com website supported bands and carrier aggregation combinations of devices. Make sure it support Carrier Aggregation combinations your carrier use on your area.
Thank you for the response, would flashing a Global ROM gets me all the Band combos? I understand changing the ROM is not going to get me the missing Band 66 from Chinese version phone, but atleast wondering if I flash, the combos listed on Global version would follow? or ROM flashing will not change any Combos? Thank you.

speedtripler

Aug 24, 2013
Thank you for the response, would flashing a Global ROM gets me all the Band combos? I understand changing the ROM is not going to get me the missing Band 66 from Chinese version phone, but atleast wondering if I flash, the combos listed on Global version would follow? or ROM flashing will not change any Combos? Thank you.
Try the global or Eu ROM
The China one is full of headaches outside china

lalith

Dec 22, 2010
buffalo
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Try the global or Eu ROM
The China one is full of headaches outside china
Am trying NetMonster to see which cell tower and band(s) its connecting and if its using any combo bands. Typically the combo shows up like - (4G. LTE 1900+ AWS-A). I have not seen a combo so far on this with the Chinese ROM, but not sure if Global/EU ROM makes any difference. Unless the Global/EU ROM deals with Band Combos. Am yet to boot unlock, so could not do a quick try.

Were you able to get better speeds or use NetMonster to see Combo bands with Non Chinese ROM?

speedtripler

Aug 24, 2013
Am trying NetMonster to see which cell tower and band(s) its connecting and if its using any combo bands. Typically the combo shows up like - (4G. LTE 1900+ AWS-A). I have not seen a combo so far on this with the Chinese ROM, but not sure if Global/EU ROM makes any difference. Unless the Global/EU ROM deals with Band Combos. Am yet to boot unlock, so could not do a quick try.

Were you able to get better speeds or use NetMonster to see Combo bands with Non Chinese ROM?
I had great speeds on every ROM but In my city they only use band 78 for 5G and I get about 250-300mb even without line of sight of the antenna, even I'm a restaurant or a mall it's that fast

i haven't been able to spot a 5G tower yet so I can test one in direct line of sight of it but I've read you can get about 700mb/s

lalith

Dec 22, 2010
buffalo
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
I had great speeds on every ROM but In my city they only use band 78 for 5G and I get about 250-300mb even without line of sight of the antenna, even I'm a restaurant or a mall it's that fast

i haven't been able to spot a 5G tower yet so I can test one in direct line of sight of it but I've read you can get about 700mb/s
Wow, that's crazy speed. Never heard of those kind of speeds in US. I wish the phone manufacturers just let the users decide what bands they want to enable in their region if the phone is high-end latest and greatest