• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Mi 5 stuck on black Mi screen

Search This thread

TraxXx44

May 13, 2021
Hello everybody,

To explain things a bit better than just this title. I have a Mi 5 that was working smoothly for quite a long time. Had a modified MIUI ROM flashed on it with many specific apps such as xposed, Magisk and also TWRP. However, my GPS has turned completely dead for some months. Couldn't use it anymore. After some researches, I found out it could be software related. So I decided to flash a new ROM (AOSP Extended) to see if that could fix the GPS issue.

First I backed up the whole system via adb on my laptop and then wiped the whole system. It turns out after trying to flash the AOSP ROM, I came across a message saying I should have MIUI 8.1.30 or older. Or something like that... Can't remember exactly. Just read that I was supposed to update my ROM to a newer stock ROM to be able to flash AOSP in a second time. I did a lot of different operations and I can't remember them all but it turns out one moment, adb started to flash a ROM because the adb command line was saying it. But it failed. Aftert that moment, my phone definitely got bricked. I have no clue what exactly happened, it's kind of confused...

Currently, the phone is always displaying dark screen with mi logo and "unlocked" mention below. Power and volume up will just reboot it to the same state (meaning twrp is not longer installed or accessible). In this dark screen mode, plug the phone to a computer will do nothing, it's not even detected in devices manager. On the other side, power and volume down will boot the phone into fastboot mode, the computer beeps when I plug the USB cable and I can briefly see the Android device with a yellow warning in the dev manager. But after something like 20 seconds, fastboot mode goes off and phone restarts on black MIUI screen.

I've tried to install Google drivers, Qualcomm drivers and did numerous actions but the phone isn't detected anymore. Also, tried to type command "adb devices" in the short time when the phone is detected by computer in fastboot but it shows an empty list. I'm pretty desperate, seems I've tried anything and I've no ideas now... Just saw there is possibly a hardware fix which requires to dismount the back of the phone. Not sure what it does but I'll try it out if no other solution shows up...

Any idea is welcome ! Thanks

TraxXx44

May 13, 2021
Well, looks like my thread wasn't so popular :) Finally found a workaround after nearly 8 hours searching for a fix. Thought that might help anybody else having the same struggle as mine. What I can tell is that it's not related to the computer used since I've made the same operations on 3 different computers, same problem for each of them. In fact, there were two problems :

First the bootloader not remaining more than 30 seconds. To stop this, I had to open the devices manager and as soon as the Android device would appear after turning it into Fastboot, I would right click on the visible device (appearing with an exclamation mark) and update manually the driver following the process that is described in many topics (locate the Google Android devices USB drivers that I downloaded right before). The time is quite short so you have to be pretty fast, otherwise, the MI 5 would disappear, forcing you to do the fastboot mode operation again. I have to say that doing it without the device being recognized is not working. So if you install with the legacy driver option, it's not going to be associated directly to the device. At least, not in my case.

Once I had done this, the Fastboot mode would remain on. I found my way pretty fast until that moment but the problem was adb wouldn't detect my device. Typing "adb devices" command would return no result, no matter what I did. Strangely, installing an old version of MiFlash (last ones gave me error) would help the computer to detect the device. I don't know why, possibly because the drivers are better ? Anyway, MiFlash helped me to access the phone and Flash a new ROM. Usually, I was just using adb and it would do the job but this time not.

Hope it can help !