• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Mi 9T Hard Brick After MIUI11 Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Waidowai

Jul 17, 2017
Ok... Lets go! Download this fastboot rom file (its the global stable) http://update.miui.com/updates/v1/fullromdownload.php?d=davinci_global&b=F&r=global&n=

You can download it from here too, but remeber! YOU NEED FASTBOOT VERSION!

You will notice that is mucth bigger and after unpacking it (pehaps, you will need do decompress it twice) it will double the size (6,5 gb). You need .tgz file. If the ROM file suffix is '.gz', just rename it to '.tgz')

Now, download this 2017 mi flash toll http://api.en.miui.com/url/MiFlashTool. You can try the newest version, but I suggest that one. Install it.

Turn off the device. Press the Volume– key and the Power button at the same time to enter Fastboot mode. Then connect the device to the Windows PC/laptop via a micro USB cable.

Open mi flash toll, search for the rom, click refresh and do it!

This should no take long! It may look that is stuck on 99%, but if the phone reboots, you can disconnect the cable! If did not work, try EEA Stable ROM, also found here https://mirom.ezbox.idv.tw/en/phone/davinci/

We already tried this exactly like that.
Does not work.
Although I only decompressed it once. Idk how u supposed to do it twice. If u unzip once it's already unzipped. Like u can't unzip a normal folder.

Arif Ferdian

Dec 10, 2016
Ok... Lets go! Download this fastboot rom file (its the global stable) http://update.miui.com/updates/v1/fullromdownload.php?d=davinci_global&b=F&r=global&n=

You can download it from here too, but remeber! YOU NEED FASTBOOT VERSION!

You will notice that is mucth bigger and after unpacking it (pehaps, you will need do decompress it twice) it will double the size (6,5 gb). You need .tgz file. If the ROM file suffix is '.gz', just rename it to '.tgz')

Now, download this 2017 mi flash toll http://api.en.miui.com/url/MiFlashTool. You can try the newest version, but I suggest that one. Install it.

Turn off the device. Press the Volume– key and the Power button at the same time to enter Fastboot mode. Then connect the device to the Windows PC/laptop via a micro USB cable.

Open mi flash toll, search for the rom, click refresh and do it!

This should no take long! It may look that is stuck on 99%, but if the phone reboots, you can disconnect the cable! If did not work, try EEA Stable ROM, also found here https://mirom.ezbox.idv.tw/en/phone/davinci/

already did that at the first day bro, and tried all the FASTBOOT Version rom with no result

Soapy!

Feb 28, 2014
Philadelphia
Update on my end:
I have no idea what I'm doing, but now cache and persist are the only partitions that can't be mounted cause of the I/O error. When connected to my PC, my computer recognizes the device and says that it has 11.3 GB of free storage (for some odd reason). I've done the following so far:
-Ran Chinese TWRP and disabled verity and forceencrypt
-Flashed universal disable verity forceencrypt quota thing (just cause) through sideload and it surprisingly worked. Last time it was stuck at 80%
-Tried to repair FS on data, cache, and system (most likely didn't do anything)

Update 2:
For some reason, Chinese TWRP is booting up way faster now from 1 hour to 5-10 minutes. Will try some other tricks.

Update 3:
Internal Storage size is at 11.6 GB for some reason, previously I was not able to move a file to it. Now I can pretty quickly.

Update 4:
Nop, back to square one again. I give up, I'll just buy a replacement as soon as I can.

Last edited:

Waidowai

Jul 17, 2017
Update on my end:
I have no idea what I'm doing, but now cache and persist are the only partitions that can't be mounted cause of the I/O error. When connected to my PC, my computer recognizes the device and says that it has 11.3 GB of free storage (for some odd reason). I've done the following so far:
-Ran Chinese TWRP and disabled verity and forceencrypt
-Flashed universal disable verity forceencrypt quota thing (just cause) through sideload and it surprisingly worked. Last time it was stuck at 80%
-Tried to repair FS on data, cache, and system (most likely didn't do anything)
Everything is still slow as **** though.

What chinese version are you using, the one that came with mi11?
After flashing with miflash my phone will only recognize the russian twrp. Unfortunately with this one i can mount data,system and cache but not persists.
Also my adb sideload won't work on the russian version :(.

Sorry guys! This is very strange! Will dig more to find any help. This should work. Don't know what the hell is broken

I managed to install 10.3.11 without ARB error now. It goes through stucks at 99.99% for about 2 hours. after that it reboots the phone and is stuck on bootloop again.
After trying stuff with fastboot it seems like the persist partition is encrypted and we can not write on that. At least on my phone.
Therefore it flashes the whole .tgz but persist. and without persist it can not boot i think.
manually flashing with fastboot doesn't work either because it's encrypted. I guess we could fix it, or at least my phone can be fixed, if i manage to flash persist.img somehow.

Soapy!

Feb 28, 2014
Philadelphia
What chinese version are you using, the one that came with mi11?
After flashing with miflash my phone will only recognize the russian twrp. Unfortunately with this one i can mount data,system and cache but not persists.
Also my adb sideload won't work on the russian version :(.

Yes. It took me about 1-2 hours to boot into it until now. It might have something to do with the storage size.

Waidowai

Jul 17, 2017
Yes. It took me about 1-2 hours to boot into it until now. It might have something to do with the storage size.

I know twrp is booting. Mine boots 2 always after 2 hours. But i wanted to know what version of twrp you are using. I'm using russian dalvinci fix because that's the only one that boots for me, but I'm not having access to persist in this one.

Soapy!

Feb 28, 2014
Philadelphia
I know twrp is booting. Mine boots 2 always after 2 hours. But i wanted to know what version of twrp you are using. I'm using russian dalvinci fix because that's the only one that boots for me, but I'm not having access to persist in this one.

The Chinese one... I was able to put persist.img from one of the firmware updates onto internal storage and am currently flashing it. No idea if it'll work or not since it's taking forever, I'll probably give it 30 minutes.

Waidowai

Jul 17, 2017
anyways i'm at a point where the system is booting again.
I let it sit over night now so i guess if it doesn't boot in 8 hours this is a dead end. it took like an hour or 2 to go from bootloop to boot animation. so maybe a full boot just takes long as hell.
I guess we'll see. if no one figured something out i might let it run the entire day tomorrow. by then we would know for sure.

Reactions: Soapy!

loqi

Aug 7, 2012
Wtf is happening with this phone? I see a lot of ppl getting bootloop, brick, hard brick...one version of twrp working for one and dont for other. Cant understand nothing. Never see this before.
Is twrp in alpha state? O what? And why 4 or 5 different versions of twrp? Ohh men

Waidowai

Jul 17, 2017
I have an update.
Not a good one though.
Like I said I attempted to let it boot for 8 hours-ish when I was sleeping.
Now the battery drained and it can't even remember to charge itself anymore. The charger is connected the notification LED is blinking but the phone ain't charging.

I guess for everyone else don't let your battery drain!!

Anyways I guess I'll give up, at least now I can return the phone for faulty battery I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

On that note I still wanna pass along my last thoughts on what could cause the problem, if someone still wants to try.

The partitions on MI9T is decrypted if you flash a new firmware or anything. Like when you first boot it says your phone is conected with Mi ID XXXX please enter password etc. Than you usually enter the password and the phone gets decrypted.

I think the persist partition is faulty due to the MI11 update, which is as far as I know responsible for all sensors (network,wifi,gyroscope etc).
Therefore it's impossible for the phone to decrypted because it can't get the password/ you would not even be able to enter it.

So again without fixing persist we can't decrypted the sdcard and that might be the reason why everything is so slow or flashing stuff doesn't work, because our sdcard is decrypted + persist is faulty /got wiped.

That's a guess on my part but maybe someone can figure something out by those statements.

gazza1888

Apr 3, 2009
I seem to have hard bricked my 9T after flashing the MIUI 11 rom from xiaomi.eu. I think culprit is a totally botched/corrupted boot loader and I have no idea how it happened. I've tried reflashing back to stock through stock image .bat files, but no dice. It flashed everything but the device still refuses to boot past the MI screen. If I try to boot into TWRP, my device gets stuck at the TWRP splash screen, no matter which version it is. Does anyone know what I can do or try at this point? Thanks.

Same thing happened to me and the twrp was the wrong one, use the twrp fix version, also were you on a previous xiaomi.eu beta build, I was also stuck on the mi screen, I rebooted to fastboot and applied the mi unlock tool again. Flashed the xiaomi.eu 9.8.15 build, format yes and then setup, downloaded the latest Miui 11 build and flashed.

Soapy!

Feb 28, 2014
Philadelphia
10.3.6.0 did run through without editing .bat files. But it took like 4 hours to complete the 99.99%.
After that I was in loading screen. After another 4 hours I gave up.
There are 3 other versions. Maybe we can try them and pray that one of them works without waiting 10 years in splash screens.

I have an update.
Not a good one though.
Like I said I attempted to let it boot for 8 hours-ish when I was sleeping.
Now the battery drained and it can't even remember to charge itself anymore. The charger is connected the notification LED is blinking but the phone ain't charging.

I guess for everyone else don't let your battery drain!!

Anyways I guess I'll give up, at least now I can return the phone for faulty battery I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

On that note I still wanna pass along my last thoughts on what could cause the problem, if someone still wants to try.

The partitions on MI9T is decrypted if you flash a new firmware or anything. Like when you first boot it says your phone is conected with Mi ID XXXX please enter password etc. Than you usually enter the password and the phone gets decrypted.

I think the persist partition is faulty due to the MI11 update, which is as far as I know responsible for all sensors (network,wifi,gyroscope etc).
Therefore it's impossible for the phone to decrypted because it can't get the password/ you would not even be able to enter it.

So again without fixing persist we can't decrypted the sdcard and that might be the reason why everything is so slow or flashing stuff doesn't work, because our sdcard is decrypted + persist is faulty /got wiped.

That's a guess on my part but maybe someone can figure something out by those statements.

I flashed the persist from a MIUI 10 firmware file and it didn't do anything. This was when my internal storage was accessible, after some poor choices it's inaccessible, again. If I get access to internal storage, I could check the MIUI11 zip to see if there is a persist image and flash it.

Waidowai

Jul 17, 2017
I flashed the persist from a MIUI 10 firmware file and it didn't do anything. This was when my internal storage was accessible, after some poor choices it's inaccessible, again. If I get access to internal storage, I could check the MIUI11 zip to see if there is a persist image and flash it.

I'm about to have it fixed.
I have no IO errors no invalid arguments and I can push files with no problem and only 1 or 2 minutes needed.
I can even flash firmwares now. But it won't boot without persist. I can not flash persist and can not mount persist because it's write protected.
If you have an idea how to get persist running I can fix the phone and share the stepps how I got there.

edit.
also if someone knows stuff about partitions and formats. what is the right format that the phone should be in.
I checked and my phone is on f2fs maybe that's the reason it's slow?
I can reformat know cuz i have access to everything but persist.

Someone with a working normal mi9T pls check what format the partitions have.
It will speed up the progress in fixing our phones :)

Last edited:

fmcheetah

Mar 15, 2012
Munich
I am on stable 10.3.15 xiaomi.eu.
See screenshot of diskinfo. Maybe it helps.

Attachments

• Diskinfo1.jpg
    Diskinfo1.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 166

Waidowai

Jul 17, 2017
I am on stable 10.3.15 xiaomi.eu.
See screenshot of diskinfo. Maybe it helps.

This does help.
Currently due to the mi11 update everything turned into f2fs.
So I add least know I gotta change cache to ext4.

Now the question is what the system partition is supposed to be.
I'm sure this won't fix the boot problems but it will speed up our phone again. Currently it takes ages to do anything.

Actually I managed to push xioami.eu 10.3.14 to the device and flashing gave me the error 7 which basically means twrp thinks my device is not the same as the one in the rom.
I could remove the safety check and force it to go through. But again without having access to the persist partition I feel uncomfortable to do so.
Everything else is running now though.

My next try is to push the eu beta that worked before 11. But the mirror takes so long to download. Something is wrong with the mirror it's downloading with 200kb/s so it might be a while till I have results

fmcheetah

Mar 15, 2012
Munich
This does help.
Currently due to the mi11 update everything turned into f2fs.
So I add least know I gotta change cache to ext4.

Now the question is what the system partition is supposed to be.
I'm sure this won't fix the boot problems but it will speed up our phone again. Currently it takes ages to do anything.

Actually I managed to push xioami.eu 10.3.14 to the device and flashing gave me the error 7 which basically means twrp thinks my device is not the same as the one in the rom.
I could remove the safety check and force it to go through. But again without having access to the persist partition I feel uncomfortable to do so.
Everything else is running now though.

My next try is to push the eu beta that worked before 11. But the mirror takes so long to download. Something is wrong with the mirror it's downloading with 200kb/s so it might be a while till I have results
Attached find all Partitions as listed in Recovery log.

Attachments

• Partitions.txt
    16.7 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: Waidowai

Waidowai

Jul 17, 2017
Attached find all Partitions as listed in Recovery log.

Ok nice I was skimming over it and there is a bunch of stuff different in my phone and prolly everyone elses phone that updated.

Unfortunately I lost my progress again by factory resetting. Stupid me thought that will fix it.

I guess it takes about 4 to 6 hours until I get to the point where I was again.

I dunno if I got the nevers today. But once I'm back where I got a completely working twrp again. I will change every partition to the format that yours has. Hopefully that fixes the speed of the phone and we can continue faster after that :)

Thanks a lot that was really helpful.

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

I did find the reason why persist is not fixed after clean installing with miflash.

After digging through the .bat files of the original stock fw it doesn't even have the code/ commands to flash the persist partition.
And also in the log it doesn't mention that it's touching persist.

So my assumption was true. The system has everything but the persist partition and we need to have a way to flash it eventhough the partion is write protected.

I will change the code in the bat file + the xml file and see if it runs through in miflash. If it does it prolly fixes everything. Although I think our other partitions are in the wrong format so even if it runs through our phone would still be slow without fixing those partitions.
That being said I'm not confident it will work because our phone can't mount the partition. Or at least I can't get it to mount.

Soapy!

Feb 28, 2014
Philadelphia
I'm about to have it fixed.
I have no IO errors no invalid arguments and I can push files with no problem and only 1 or 2 minutes needed.
I can even flash firmwares now. But it won't boot without persist. I can not flash persist and can not mount persist because it's write protected.
If you have an idea how to get persist running I can fix the phone and share the stepps how I got there.

edit.
also if someone knows stuff about partitions and formats. what is the right format that the phone should be in.
I checked and my phone is on f2fs maybe that's the reason it's slow?
I can reformat know cuz i have access to everything but persist.

Someone with a working normal mi9T pls check what format the partitions have.
It will speed up the progress in fixing our phones :)

apparently the k20 data partition is f2fs by default according to some forum that deals with EDL stuff.

Waidowai

Jul 17, 2017
apparently the k20 data partition is f2fs by default according to some forum that deals with EDL stuff.

I did fix all of my partiotions now. Yes it's f2fs. But I basically formated all my partiotions to the screenshot that was posted.

My phone is still slow but at least I can use twrp normally without errors, besides mounting persist, which is the main issue.
Also flashing xiaomi.eu stable versions give error 7 which means it doesn't recognize the phone as mi9T???

anyhow my pc recognizes my phone as mi9T now but if I look at it it says firmware blank, meaning it doesn't have an os installed.

but again there are 2 option either being able to fix/ flash persist.img or force the flash by removing the safety line that causes error 7. I'm not comfortable in removing those lines though.
In general those lines are only there in cause you flash the firmware for another device or use an old twrp (which i might, i'm using davinci fix cuz it's the only one that boots). But our phone ain't normal so i don't wanna force it yet :D.
If there is no way to fix persist than forcing/ removing error 7 is the only option that's left to try though.
Maybe someone else is more brave than me :D

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

Edit

next steps that I will try is removing the encryption with twrp and look if that fixes anything.
if not i try to flash xiaomi beta 9.8.5 is the last one that was running correct?
I'm currently downloading but still 2 hours left because something is wrong with the server.

If that does not work I will force flash persist with miflash tool and look if that changes anything.

If all of those steps above don't work the only thing left to try is remove error 7 manually and pray that it doesn't hard brick.

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

Ok. Even after editing bat and xml files miflash can't flash persist.
After including the lines to flash persist in miflash it says it's write protected.

So bottom line is that we won't be able to fix it with miflash if no one figures out how to bypass the persist write protection or figures out how to mount persist.
Meaning the only option is to try and find a firmware that twrp will accept to flash, force twrp to flash a firmware or find a twrp version that flashes the firmware.

So we got 4 options.

The twrp version I'm using is the russian davinci fix. I've tried with xiaomi.eu stable 10.3.14 and 10.3.15

Reactions: sauliiin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I seem to have hard bricked my 9T after flashing the MIUI 11 rom from xiaomi.eu. I think culprit is a totally botched/corrupted boot loader and I have no idea how it happened. I've tried reflashing back to stock through stock image .bat files, but no dice. It flashed everything but the device still refuses to boot past the MI screen. If I try to boot into TWRP, my device gets stuck at the TWRP splash screen, no matter which version it is. Does anyone know what I can do or try at this point? Thanks.
    I got exactly the same problem after installing miui 11rom. Installing firmware via fastboot was unsuccessful. God, help us ...

---------- Post added at 07:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 AM ----------

So do I, first time I successfully instal first beta v25 miui 11, and than when the v26 comes, stupidly, i flash it from twrp, it tells me that i succeed installing that zip, and than i wipe art and cache and reboot system, but what next i know, my phone brick, i can not instal anyrom, from mi flash tool, or from anywhere. I did everything and still can not fix the problem.
    Anyway, you still can enterin TWRP UI, after waiting about 10 to 30 minutes, because after intalling that rom, automatically your data format change from ext4 to f2fs, and twrp will need a lot of time to read your disk.
    But, even after doing anything in twrp, still can not make my phone successfully boot into system.
    And theres moun I/O error everytime i tried to wipe everything, or fix disk, or change disk format. Everything... and i just dont know what to do anymore.

So may be you can wait patiently until you can entering twrp ui, and please lemme know if you know how to fix this problem
    Just the exact same problem as mine. If you know anything about how to solve this problem, please tell us.
    I had the same problem with a miui 10 weekly beta but unfortunately I wasn't able to fix it but lucky me my phone was still in a return period so I returned it back to Amazon and got my money back since then I have always stayed away from beta ROMs . I tried everything but it wasn't booting pass the mi logo as you said
    i have experience that, then i flash the twrp chinese version and it works.

I had the same problem with a miui 10 weekly beta but unfortunately I wasn't able to fix it but lucky me my phone was still in a return period so I returned it back to Amazon and got my money back since then I have always stayed away from beta ROMs . I tried everything but it wasn't booting pass the mi logo as you said

Ahhhh yes, i was thinking to using my guaranteed card, as i still can relock bootliader with mi flash tools, already trying anything for couples day with zero result, and im giving up hahaha
    This makes sense as I remember trying to boot into stock recovery early in the morning. I woke up and it finally booted, but the recovery was in Chinese. I will give 4PDA TWRP about an hour and see what I can do. Thanks.

If you can not use 4pda, i suggest u to use greek one, thats twrp version the must successfully booting in my experiences
    I am thankful that I saw this before updating to newest miui 11

But v25 more stable and has no problem