[Mi a1] [Discussion] [How-TOs] MONTHLY STOCK UPDATES, ROOT, TOOLS AND MORE | May 4

Search This thread

gattone_16

Jun 6, 2013
Everest
yes, I lost all my data
even when I installed magisk, I reset the root again

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

There's something in the boot.img that resets the phone

Reactions: Fibra Man

Midomad

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Salé
Google Pixel 5a
Tried to flash this with flash_all_except_storage, but I lost all my data.
Yep...
Can't reproduce, because with my data my backups are lost :crying:.
yes, I lost all my data
even when I installed magisk, I reset the root again

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

There's something in the boot.img that resets the phone
WOW! Bad news!
Thank you.
Because with last may update,unlocking the bootloader reset all data.

barrack1

Sep 19, 2014
Xiaomi Mi A1

paolocorpo

Jan 9, 2013
Sassoferrato
I have a doubt
Could be it that your last failure with the saving data is probably related to the fact that you are managing an FULL STOCK Image and not a real OTA
I mean ... let consider a device unlocked+Magisk+Recovery RED WOLF
If you set Magisk as occult ... will be the OTA (the real OTA) installable ?

Lupin The Third

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2011
Planet Earth
www.jw.org
I have a doubt
Could be it that your last failure with the saving data is probably related to the fact that you are managing an FULL STOCK Image and not a real OTA
I mean ... let consider a device unlocked+Magisk+Recovery RED WOLF
If you set Magisk as occult ... will be the OTA (the real OTA) installable ?
No that can't be. There should be something messed up by xiaomi in the factory image.

I'll try to investigate what is causing this.

paolocorpo

Jan 9, 2013
Sassoferrato
No that can't be. There should be something messed up by xiaomi in the factory image.

SO your guide:
1. Uninstall Magisk from magisk manager
2. Reboot to Fastboot
2. Flash latest fastboot ROM with Mi Flash tool with the option "Save user Data"
3. Once phone restarts, your files will be preserved and now you can apply OTA
4. Root again with the above tutorial.

with last stock update is not running well ?

heinhuiz

Nov 26, 2011
Xiaomi Mi A1
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T

Thinking back, I wonder. Could this Slot A/Slot B thing of the A1 have saved me? Of course TWRP isn't there anymore, but is there another way to change slots? I thought this concept was invented to prevent data losses through bad updates.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    url]

A THREAD WHERE WE CAN DISCUSS THE MONTHLY OFFICIAL UPDATES FOR MI A1 AND OTHER USEFUL TOOLS AND MODS

TUTORIALS

============================​

How to unlock bootloader:

1. Configure fastboot for your machine. Tutorial here.
    2. Reboot phone to fastboot. (Turn off, and keep pressed volume - and power buttons until you see the fastboot image.)
    3. Type this at a command prompt: fastboot oem unlock. Your phone will be unlocked.
    3a. Starting with May 2018 update, unlocking the bootloader will wipe the device. So, backup first.

==========================================​

Flashing stock fastboot rom:

1. Download the Mi Flash Tool from here.
    2. Download the latest ROM package file for mi a1 from here.
    3. Decompress the ROM so that you can see its files and folders. You may have to unzip it twice.
    3. Enter phone in Fastboot mode. (check step 2 in the unlock bootloader process above)
    4. Connect the phone with your computer.
    5. Decompress the Mi Flash Tool downloaded in Step 1, and open XiaoMiFlash.exe
    6. Press the select button to the left in the Mi Flash Tool and select the folder where you extracted the fastboot ROM.
    7. Click the Refresh button, and MiFlash tool should automatically recognize the device. (check note below before flashing)
    8. Click flash to flash the ROM file to the device.
    9. Wait until the progress bar inside MiFlash turns fully green, which means the ROM has been successfully installed. The phone should automatically boot to the new version.

NOTE:
    To the bottom right of the Miflash tool you have three option you can choose before flashing. This is what they mean:
    Clean all: All data and user configuration will be cleaned. Device will remain 'Unlocked' after flashing.
    Save user data: All data and user configuration will be saved.
    Clean all and lock: All data and user configuration will be cleaned and device will be 'Locked' after flashing.​

=======================================​

How to root stock ROM:

1. Make sure your bootloader is unlocked as explained above

Method 1:
    1. Download latest magisk.zip and put it on your sd card
    2. Reboot into bootloader
    3. Boot the latest twrp recovery with the command: fastboot boot twrpxxx.img
    4. After booting into twrp flash magisk and reboot

Method 2:
    1. Extract the boot.img file from the fastboot ROM you downloaded from here and copy the file to your phone
    1a. If you updated your system Over The Air (OTA) and the official fastboot ROM is not out yet, you can extract the boot.img yourself. See the note in the end of this tutorial for this
    2. Install magisk manager app from here
    3. Run Magisk manager, and click install. Choose patch boot image. Choose the boot.img you copied to your phone in step 2. Let the app to patch the file. When done it will tell you where the patched file is located. Usually, in your internal sd card/Magisk
    4. Copy the patched_boot.img file to your computer
    5. Reboot phone in fastboot mode
    6. Connect phone with computer, open a terminal window where the file is located, and run the following command
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
    7. Reboot phone after the flashing procedure is done. You can use this command
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    8. Open Magisk app and now install latest Magisk through the app
    9. Done

Note:
    To extract the latest boot.img from your freshly updated phone yourself do the following
    1. Reboot phone to fastboot and connect with your computer
    2. Boot TWRP from here or use your preferred TWRP version
    3. In recovery choose Backup and select Boot only. You may want to select the external sd card for the backup location
    4. Wait for it to finish and reboot to system
    5. Go to the TWRP folder and browse the backup folder
    6. Find the file boot.emmc.win. This is your boot.img file. Rename it to boot.img and now continue with the step 3 above

=================================================​

If your phone fails to apply OTA update because of rooting, flashing twrp and other mods to the system:

1. Uninstall Magisk from magisk manager
    2. Reboot to Fastboot
    2. Flash latest fastboot ROM with Mi Flash tool with the option "Save user Data"
    3. Once phone restarts, your files will be preserved and now you can apply OTA
    4. Root again with the above tutorial.

Enable camera2 API, EIS and install gcam mod:

1. Root your phone with Magisk and install Magisk manager (see above for tutorial).
    2. Add this Magisk module that I made and reboot. DOWNLOAD
    3. For stock rom you need to add another module in Magisk to resolve the delay in opening the gcam app. Download it from here. Credits to @flex1911
    3. Finally, download gcam mod from here. Latest Arnova version is reccomended.
    4. Install as a normal app, tweak the settings to your need and enjoy.
    NOTE: Discussion about Arnova gcam here.

Reviews:

May 26:
    WARNING!!! THERE ARE REPORTS THAT UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER WITH LATEST MAY 2018 UPDATE WILL WIPE THE DEVICE.

TOO, USING MIFLASH TOOL WITH SAVING YOUR USERDATA WILL NONETHELESS WIPE DATA!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Update:

May 4, 2019 (Android 9)
    http://bigota.d.miui.com/V10.0.4.0....0.PDHMIXM_20190104.0000.00_9.0_2cee840c96.tgz

January 2019 update (Android Pie):
    http://bigota.d.miui.com/V10.0.4.0....0.PDHMIXM_20190104.0000.00_9.0_2cee840c96.tgz

October 2018 update:
    http://bigota.d.miui.com/V9.6.7.0.O...0.ODHMIFE_20181015.0000.00_8.0_47d6fd23c7.tgz

June 2018 security patch:
    http://bigota.d.miui.com/V9.6.4.0.O...0.ODHMIFE_20180712.0000.00_8.0_735823083f.tgz

May 30, 2018 - May security update:
    http://bigota.d.miui.com/V9.5.11.0....0.ODHMIFA_20180504.0000.00_8.0_1a04581058.tgz

April 24, 2018 -New stock firmware with April security patch. Version:
    V.9.5.10.0.ODHMIFA

April 6, 2018 - New stock firmware released. Version:
    V9.5.9.0.ODHMIFA

March 22, 2018 - New stock firmware released. Version:V9.5.4.0.ODHMIFA (Android O)

March 17, 2018 - Oreo kernel source pushed.

March 7, 2018 - Beta Stable OPR1.170623.026.9.5.4 (V9.5.4.0.ODHMIFA) has been pushed via OTA

March 2, 2018 - February security update OTA released.

Old info!
    GET UPDATES FASTER:

To receive the update faster try updating your Google Play Services to beta from here.
    Or, download latest Google play services from apkmirror.
    More information about Google play services and the check for update button here.
    @varben
    Head's up!
    New Mi Flash Toolkit straight from Xiaomi's Server:
    http://bigota.d.miui.com/tools/MiFlash2018-5-28-0.zip
    Easy way to always get the update.. https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.google.android.gms Sign up to BETA and update APP you will get the new update straight away!! Just tried and it works!!
    Just got an April update!
    How its even possible :)
    It's from the future.

Xiaomi invented the time machine! :victory: