MI A3 how to install TWRP or any custoum recovery ?

Search This thread

koko2010psp

Mar 1, 2018
Before unlocking the boot loader or unlocking the phone I was running android 11 with latest FEB 2021 security patch. I successfully unlocked the phone and boot loader using :
fastboot flashing unlock
fastboot flashing unlock_critical

but when trying to temporary boot TWRP image twrp-3.4.0-0-laurel_sprout.img using :
fastboot boot twrp-3.4.0-0-laurel_sprout.img

I get the error FAILED(unkonwn command). Making things worse I ended up ruining the boot partition so if someone can give a guide on how to solve this problem and install TWRP or other recovery or give a the suitable stock or rooted boot image for this particular build so I can revert back my changes without bricking phone due to anti rollback.

koko2010psp

Mar 1, 2018
I have that too on my Xiaomi Mi A2. Sometimes it won't accept bootloader commands. What helped so far is to boot into system or recovery for a minute, or just shuting down the device for a minute and try again.
This doesnt seem to help it still displays FAILED (remote: unknown command). I really need some help to get TWRP running if thats hard or will take some time if you can point me to where I can Download latest stock or rooted boot image with FEB 2021 patch so I can install it as I all I can find online are old android 10 and 9 boot images

User699

Feb 28, 2021
This doesnt seem to help it still displays FAILED (remote: unknown command). I really need some help to get TWRP running if thats hard or will take some time if you can point me to where I can Download latest stock or rooted boot image with FEB 2021 patch so I can install it as I all I can find online are old android 10 and 9 boot images
I don't know where to download these... Maybe you can find some here on xda?

But if booting twrp doesn't work, those images aren't helpfull... (At least on my device it won't accept any input, not even from fastboot flash boot).
Could you check if
Bash:
fastboot getvar all
works?

koko2010psp

Mar 1, 2018
I don't know where to download these... Maybe you can find some here on xda?

But if booting twrp doesn't work, those images aren't helpfull... (At least on my device it won't accept any input, not even from fastboot flash boot).
Could you check if
Bash:
fastboot getvar all
works?
fastboot getvar all does work I installed some image found on XDA and it works except WIFI and phone calls are not working (worthless). anyway getvar all does return that anti=0 and current-slot=b which have installed this boot image. so any ideas what to do.

User699

Feb 28, 2021
Okay, since
Code:
fastboot getvar all
works, I actually don't understand why
Code:
fastboot boot twrp
didn't work. Maybe Xiaomis bootloader is buggy.

Since WIFI and phone calls aren't working, you could actually try to install another os to check if it works. If it doesn't, you should look at logcat right after that error happend. Maybe we can find out whats wrong then.
To get the logcat, you can do this in a terminal:
Bash:
adb logcat
and to redirect the logcat into a file you can do
Code:
adb logcat > myLogcatOutput.txt