Mi Box 3 (MDZ-16-AB) downgrade Android 9 Pie to Android 8 oreo

Search This thread

deep00007

Nov 23, 2020
My English is very poor, I use Chinese, with the original Chinese tutorial. Use GOOGLE Translate to English to share the downgrade process. The process is very simple. I hope to help people who want to downgrade from pie to oreo without losing the DRM copyright, WIFI, Bluetooth, and Netflix SN.

Model: MI BOX 3 ( MDZ-16-AB) downgrade Android 9 Pie R2926 to Android 8 oreo R2167
Tools needed:
PC Windows 7 OS or higher, it is recommended to use the rear USB port of the computer

Download MDZ16AB.IMG firmware
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-fGnIP7iLmpHUNRPhlWyEnEVHuraDc1q?usp=sharing

Download Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool_v2.2.0
https://mega.nz/file/Hd0CmACT#OPws8xFAPOGR6SmFJKfkVQ4SXjXpetJHmZZZ7nqkRHc

Download MI BOX3 Oreo R2167 Update.zip
https://mega.nz/file/gh0xCCrR#ctdPivezVFNAuMLq19eOepO1LHJCfVNhowmZz7Fx87s

USB Male to Male cable, buy it or make it yourself.

USB flash disk-Format Fat32

--------Start----------

1. Open Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool and click the upper left corner to load MDZ16AB.IMG firmware. After the firmware verification is completed, pay attention to the option on the right, DO NOT ERASE ALL. Uncheck Erase bootloader and keep it to'Normal erase', this is to keep DRM keys which allows Netflix to work. Once again, confirm that there is no selection error and click "Start".
gjYH4jx.png

PqMjNSs.png

2. Use a USB Male to Male cable to connect the PC and MI BOX 3 that is not powered on, and then press and hold the Bluetooth remote control hold Back+Okay, turn on the power of MI BOX 3, and enter Recovery mode.
kteGhPw.jpg

3. On the Recovery interface, use the Bluetooth remote control, select Reboot to bootloader, press confirm, MI BOX 3 will restart, and the TV will display a gray MI LOGO interface, successfully enter the official bootloader preload certification, be careful not to disconnect USB Male to Male cable.
9A5CLue.jpg

4. Unplug the power of MI BOX 3 again, wait for 5 to 10 seconds, press and hold the Bluetooth remote control hold Back+Okay, turn on the power of MI BOX 3, you will see the Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool progress bar moving, from 1 % To 100%.
BEVNvEQ.jpg

oMDG5wS.jpg

LkKklrF.jpg

ZwhCMFs.jpg

5. After the Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool progress reaches 100%, click Stop and unplug the USB cable, power off and restart MI BOX 3. Then MI BOX 3 will enter the recovery cycle, don't be afraid.
rLwIJfV.jpg

6. Power off MI BOX 3, save the oreo R2167 upgrade file into a FAT32 format U disk, insert the USB port of MI BOX 3, turn on the power, it will automatically update, the update process is about 5 minutes, after the update is complete, you will Successfully fall back to Android oreo r2167. Enter Recovery mode again, Wipe clears the date and cache and restarts to complete.
fLYuVvb.jpg

r9tONAu.jpg

Iajjmci.jpg

For the recovery cycle, please check the tutorial:
http://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/97rvqg/mi_box_stuck_in_recovery_mode/e4ct7n0/

This method may help restore the mirror image of the mi box that can enter the Recovery mode and become a brick. For example, Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool displays a 1% Low_Power error, but it is not guaranteed.

Please download the complete img file, it cannot be damaged. Use high-quality USB cable, high-quality U disk, use computer rear USB interface

Last edited:

deep00007

Nov 23, 2020
中文流程 Chinese process:

适用型号:MI BOX 3 (MDZ-16-AB)国际版
需要使用工具:
电脑 Windows 7 或更高,建议使用电脑后置USB接口

下载 MDZ16AB.IMG 固件
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-fGnIP7iLmpHUNRPhlWyEnEVHuraDc1q?usp=sharing

下载 Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool_v2.2.0

下载 MI BOX3 Oreo R2167 Update.zip 升级ZIP文件

USB 公对公电缆 ,可以使用废弃USB线制作,长度0.5米内为佳。

U盘(USB硬碟) Fat32 格式 ,在最后步骤使用。

--------开始----------

1、打开 Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool ,点击左上角加载MDZ16AB.IMG固件,固件校验完成后,注意右边选项 -- 烧录配置:勾选--擦除FLASH --普通擦除 ,不要勾选:擦除bootloader,这很重要,选择错误会删除DRM授权,Netflix SN将会丢失,再一次确认没有选择错误,点击“开始”。

2、使用USB 公对公线缆 连接电脑和没有接通电源的MI BOX 3,然后按住蓝牙遥控器 返回+确认 不放手 ,接通MI BOX 3 电源,进入Recovery模式。

3、在Recovery界面,使用蓝牙遥控器,选择 Reboot to bootloader ,按确认,MI BOX 3会重启,电视会显示一个灰色 MI LOGO 界面,成功进入官方 bootloader 预加载密钥认证,这是刷机成功的关键,注意不要断开USB线 。

4、再一次拔下 MI BOX 3 的电源,等待5至10秒钟,按住蓝牙遥控器 返回+确认 不放手,同时接通 MI BOX 3 电源,你会看到 Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool 进度条在动,过程从1%到100% 。

5、Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool 进度达到100%后,点击停止并拔下USB电缆,断电重启MI BOX 3 。然后MI BOX 3 会进入 recovery 恢复循环,不要紧。

6、将MI BOX 3 断电, 把oreo R2167升级文件解压,得到Update.ZIP和xiaomi_update,把这两个文件存入FAT32格式U盘,插入MI BOX 3 的USB端口,接通电源,它会自动更新,更新过程大约5分钟,更新完成后,你将成功回退到 Android oreo r2167 。再一次进入Recovery模式,Wipe 双清,并重启,完成。

关于 recovery 恢复循环,请查看教程:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/97rvqg/mi_box_stuck_in_recovery_mode/e4ct7n0/

此方法有可能会帮助到能进入Recovery模式变成砖的mi box恢复原始镜像 ,比如 Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool 显示 1% Low_Power 错误,但不保证有效。

注意下载完整img文件,不能损坏img文件。使用高质量USB线缆、高质量U盘、使用电脑后置USB接口。

Last edited:

Sep 20, 2017
can you share the source link please

Can you share the original link of the source?
When I leave the male usb cable connected (pc to the mibox3) I cannot enter the recovery, first I have to disconnect the male usb cable, in this way if I can access the recovery, is this so ?. Another thing is that the usb cable connected to the pc at no time recognizes the mi box.
Wouldn't you have to open the mibox3 to cut short, as was done with the 16-AA version?
I am using windows 10 home and if I could install the driver, the male to male cable had already been used to flash other devices.

Last edited:

Talon

Jan 7, 2006
KievCity
greytalon.com
Hi
in the Status i have [ 1% : low_power ] - and nothing more :(
device not wake up anymore .... - in the sys when connect to PC - appear the "WorldCupDevice"
( i try diff. usb ports.... 3 and 2 and rear and front)
any help pls?

Last edited:

OcelotNo

Nov 9, 2020
I'd like to try this on my device, however I cannot get into recovery mode. My Mi Box powers up, but does not seem to output anything via HDMI at all

deep00007

Nov 23, 2020
[QUOTE =“ 372812,帖子:84011735,成员:8569207”]
你能分享源链接吗

您可以共享源的原始链接吗?
当我保持公USB电缆连接(pc到mibox3)时,我无法进入恢复,首先必须断开公USB电缆,这样才能访问恢复,是这样吗?另一件事是,连接到PC的USB电缆无法立即识别mi盒。
您是否不需要像16-AA版本那样打开mibox3来缩短时间?
我正在使用Windows 10 Home,并且如果可以安装驱动程序,则已经使用了公对公电缆来刷新其他设备。
[/引用]
You have successfully downgraded from pie to oreo, this post is the source link. There is no need to disassemble the mi box 3. Again: no need to disassemble the mibox 3. Steps 1 to 3, mibox3 is not displayed in amlogic_burning_tool as connected. This is to use the power-off bug to let the official bootloader perform secondary boot loading. When amlogic_burning_tool recognizes a bootloader that does not initially load the system ROM flash, it will activate the amlogic_burning_tool flashing process. Xiaomi may block this bootloader vulnerability in future system upgrades.

deep00007

Nov 23, 2020
Hi
in the Status i have [ 1% : low_power ] - and nothing more :(
device not wake up anymore .... - in the sys when connect to PC - appear the "WorldCupDevice"
( i try diff. usb ports.... 3 and 2 and rear and front)
any help pls?
Your mibox3 must be able to enter recovery normally before you can use this method to downgrade. If your device's flash memory is damaged, you cannot do anything.

deep00007

Nov 23, 2020
I'd like to try this on my device, however I cannot get into recovery mode. My Mi Box powers up, but does not seem to output anything via HDMI at all
Press and hold the back + OK button of the Bluetooth remote control, and then turn on the power supply of mibox3, which will enter recovery. TV does not have HDMI image display, if your mibox is not faulty, you should check the TV input and HDMI cable

deep00007

Nov 23, 2020
i was!... - i normally entered to the recovery but when i started in Burning_Tool - i got the error "low power" at 1% (
Please make sure that your mibox3 is running normally and there is no fault before it can be degraded! Do not need to open the circuit board, strictly follow my tutorial operation

OcelotNo

Nov 9, 2020
Please make sure that your mibox3 is running normally and there is no fault before it can be degraded! Do not need to open the circuit board, strictly follow my tutorial operation

Hi, my Mi Box powers up, but does not seem to output anything via HDMI at all. Any advice on how to get it running again?

Talon

Jan 7, 2006
KievCity
greytalon.com
that instruction good for future "romintruders"...

but i (without any claims or towards you or your tutorial) just need any help or suggestion, not a warning ... - because all this has already happened to me ;/

...and although I'm sure that on my mibox3 had everything running normally and there was is no faults !! -... for one reason or another ...- something went [email protected]#$%F$ wrong - during the operation process :(
... and I'm definitely not the only one with whom the same thing happened ...

kmare

Jul 21, 2012
This worked perfectly. Skipped the last recovery/wipe, after upgrade it was factory reset already.
Downgrade fixed the terrible ghosting for me. Picture is so much better in orea.

Didn't try DRM yet, but Netflix cert is there

licna n

Dec 11, 2020
Hello, I have also downgraded successfully to Oreo. But the process was slightly different.

2] within step 2 (after I pressed Start and connected box via USB cable) - I pressed these two keys on the remote, connected power supply, after MiBox logo appeared I released the keys on remote, and expected the box would go to recovery. Instead the flashing started immediately. Thus I skipped the part making the box to reboot to Bootloader.
PS: anyone knows how come please? Why is the phase with bootloader needed and what is the risk when this not happens?
Maybe it's needed to hold the keys until the box is really in recovery?
Anyway - flashing went to 100% => success.
5] in step I was expecting the box will go into recovery. But nope - it was showing me the 4 colored rotating logos (as when the box is booting regularly) but it had stacked in this state.
So I took the pen drive with the update files and inserted it into box's USB port - attached the power while having 2 buttons presed on the remote and box started doing update. After it's all finished I am a lucky owner of MiBox 3 with Oreo build 2562 again.
BTW - my reason to downgrade was to use Darken WakeLock which stopped working on Pie ROMs (on both MiBox 3 and MiBox S). This allows the box to be waken up from standby - either by TV CEC or by Chromecast which is ready to cast even in standby).
-------
Please make sure you have downloaded the image correctly. My downloads were corrupted when using Chrome on a Windows computer (twice). I used an Android tablet to download, then it was OK.

I used a package from a link I have found on the Russian forum (4pda).
https://yadi.sk/d/RnN2hz_IUEMOSg?w=1

Good luck to all who want to get box downgraded too. :)

ener2k

Apr 24, 2013
Hello. I tried to downgrade, but with no succes, sadly.
After step 4, the Amlogic USB Burning Tool progress bar does not move and the flashing does not start. Actually there is no HUB and no progress bar like in your photo. After a short time the device boots to recovery. Where is the problem? Can you help?
The device is on PI.3175 release-keys build.
I'm using an ASUS X550 laptop with Windows 10.

Last edited:

YoRiKiRo

Dec 11, 2013
I´m able to boot to recovery, the select reboot to bootloader but the computer/Amlogic USB burning tool does not detect the mi box

Any suggestions?

ttvnol

Sep 15, 2012
i downgraded to android 8 build 2167 successfully but i found 1 problem, i check for new update OS through OTA it give me result that there is no new update,
i'm wondering is that there is no new update at this moment or maybe it's because of downgrading to android 8 make it unable to update to new build versions of android 8 ?
is anyone have the same problem like me ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My English is very poor, I use Chinese, with the original Chinese tutorial. Use GOOGLE Translate to English to share the downgrade process. The process is very simple. I hope to help people who want to downgrade from pie to oreo without losing the DRM copyright, WIFI, Bluetooth, and Netflix SN.

Model: MI BOX 3 ( MDZ-16-AB) downgrade Android 9 Pie R2926 to Android 8 oreo R2167
    Tools needed:
    PC Windows 7 OS or higher, it is recommended to use the rear USB port of the computer

Download MDZ16AB.IMG firmware

Download Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool_v2.2.0

Download MI BOX3 Oreo R2167 Update.zip

USB Male to Male cable, buy it or make it yourself.

USB flash disk-Format Fat32

--------Start----------

1. Open Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool and click the upper left corner to load MDZ16AB.IMG firmware. After the firmware verification is completed, pay attention to the option on the right, DO NOT ERASE ALL. Uncheck Erase bootloader and keep it to'Normal erase', this is to keep DRM keys which allows Netflix to work. Once again, confirm that there is no selection error and click "Start".
    gjYH4jx.png

PqMjNSs.png

2. Use a USB Male to Male cable to connect the PC and MI BOX 3 that is not powered on, and then press and hold the Bluetooth remote control hold Back+Okay, turn on the power of MI BOX 3, and enter Recovery mode.
    kteGhPw.jpg

3. On the Recovery interface, use the Bluetooth remote control, select Reboot to bootloader, press confirm, MI BOX 3 will restart, and the TV will display a gray MI LOGO interface, successfully enter the official bootloader preload certification, be careful not to disconnect USB Male to Male cable.
    9A5CLue.jpg

4. Unplug the power of MI BOX 3 again, wait for 5 to 10 seconds, press and hold the Bluetooth remote control hold Back+Okay, turn on the power of MI BOX 3, you will see the Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool progress bar moving, from 1 % To 100%.
    BEVNvEQ.jpg

oMDG5wS.jpg

LkKklrF.jpg

ZwhCMFs.jpg

5. After the Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool progress reaches 100%, click Stop and unplug the USB cable, power off and restart MI BOX 3. Then MI BOX 3 will enter the recovery cycle, don't be afraid.
    rLwIJfV.jpg

6. Power off MI BOX 3, save the oreo R2167 upgrade file into a FAT32 format U disk, insert the USB port of MI BOX 3, turn on the power, it will automatically update, the update process is about 5 minutes, after the update is complete, you will Successfully fall back to Android oreo r2167. Enter Recovery mode again, Wipe clears the date and cache and restarts to complete.
    fLYuVvb.jpg

r9tONAu.jpg

Iajjmci.jpg

For the recovery cycle, please check the tutorial:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/97rvqg/mi_box_stuck_in_recovery_mode/e4ct7n0/

This method may help restore the mirror image of the mi box that can enter the Recovery mode and become a brick. For example, Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool displays a 1% Low_Power error, but it is not guaranteed.

Please download the complete img file, it cannot be damaged. Use high-quality USB cable, high-quality U disk, use computer rear USB interface
    Thanks for your information, I'm tried to mibox downgrade ,too.
    My mother language is chinese, too.
    Thanks again. (再次感謝)
    For anyone stuck on the low_power, low power, 1%, constantly flashing the Mi logo over and over bootloop issue, after a bad flash, here is the fix. A real fix.

Do NOT short the pins as shown in many tutorials. I have played with this box all day and it did not work for me. I have hooked up a UART/serial connector to it using this information - https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/xiaomi-mi-box-3-mdz-16-ab-boot-log-and-uart-location.3702010/
    and there is simply no connection from the amlogic flasher on windows when the pins are shorted. It appears that shorting the pins just halts the Mibox.

What DOES work is:

Mibox power UNPLUGGED
    Usb male-male plugged in to both the Mibox and PC/laptop
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VERY IMPORTANT NEXT STEP

Open the Amlogic flash tool, load the flashable Oreo file, let it hash check the file, set the tool correctly to NOT erase bootloader

Do NOT untick the 'erase bootloader' option BEFORE loading the flashable image.

If you do, you may miss the fact that the box gets re-ticked after the image has been loaded and checked. Always make sure the 'erase bootloader' is NOT ticked before pressing START.

You will permanently lose Widevine and the ability to play Netflix in HD if you do not follow the above step.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Power on the Mibox
    It will connect for about 1 second, then disconnect for about 4 seconds as it bootloops. You will see 'Connected' in the Amlogic tool briefly, then disappear as it bootloops.
    Press the Amlogic START button as soon as you see 'Connected' (and hear the Windows USB connect sound)
    The flash will commence and should complete successfully
    After the flash you need to close the Amlogic tool, unplug the Mibox power, remove the usb cord, and power the Mibox back on while holding the remote button combo of the centre button (inside the large ring button) and the back arrow.
    This takes you to recovery where you MUST wipe the data and cache partitions. The box will boot without doing this, but will not ever load the main gui screen as the data and cache partitions have usually been damaged, and wiping them actually re-creates them.

The last step is to come back here and post if this worked for you or not. It should, as I said earlier I played with this box all day - I even discovered through uart (when it was bootlooping on me) that it will auto load a binary called aml_autoscript (which needs to be created with the linux tool mkimage). I made a test script containing only 'printenv' and have managed to copy the uboot environment, which may prove useful for playing around with the box more in the future.

I hope the above helps those with the 1% low power issue. Let me know if it works successfully.
    Power on the Mibox
    It will connect for about 1 second, then disconnect for about 4 seconds as it bootloops. You will see 'Connected' in the Amlogic tool briefly, then disappear as it bootloops.
    Press the Amlogic START button as soon as you see 'Connected' (and hear the Windows USB connect sound)
    The flash will commence and should complete successfully
    Hi in my case it doesn't work. Amlogic not recognize mibox without bridging two pins.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone