• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Mi Box 3 (MDZ-16-AB) downgrade Android 9 Pie to Android 8 oreo

Search This thread
Jul 25, 2021
This method will not work if the device is updated to 3617 version. To downgrade from Android 9 3617 to Android 8, first you need to half brick your Mi Box.
1. To do that you need to install Android 8 2562 update through recovery. Download the android 8 2562 update from following link (https://disk.yandex.com/d/RnN2hz_IUEMOSg?w=1) and extract the update.zip and xiaomi_update files to root of your FAT32 USB drive.
2. Turn off the Mi Box, connect the USB drive to Mi Box and power on the box using BACK+OK buttons and don't release it until you see installing update screen with big circle.
3. It will try install the update and will restart the device. After restart it will be half bricked and will be stuck at Mi screensaver page.
4. Power off the device, connect the Mi Box and computer using USB male to male cable. Open AMlogic burning tool load the mdz16ab.img file in burning tool, uncheck the erase boot loader and in erase flash select Normal erase and click on start.
5. Power on the device by holding BACK+OK buttons, you will see in burning tool that flashing process will start and it will take around 4 min 25 sec to flash the image.
6. After the flash is 100% completed, click on stop in the burning tool and disconnect the USB cable and power off the device.
7. Insert the USB drive with update android 8 2562 which we have created in the first step. and turn on the device by holding BACK+OK buttons until you see installing update screen with big circle. That's it your device is downgraded to android 8.
8. Device will restart 3-4 times during the installing update process and do not remove the USB drive until you see rotating android logo.

Note:
The moment you connect the device to internet it will download & install android 9. So before that you need to fill the internal store till it has below 400MB. I left 1GB space in the box and connected to internet after 5 mins it said preparing for installing update, then i turned off the device and did a factory reset from settings and filled the space below 300MB for safety and connected to internet. Through ADB install any file explorer and through USB drive fill the device internal memory. There is no other option left.

Source is in Russian:

Happy Flashing.

Attachments

• Downgrade.PNG
    Downgrade.PNG
    64 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

sam298

Apr 19, 2007
Denver, CO
If I reduce the space to 500mb or less, update complains insufficient storage but playstore says and wont install or update any apps. Any fix for this?

satya_gen

Nov 30, 2008
Dear Rehaan,

Thanks for your detailed notes.

Mine was updated from Oreo to Pie.
And please find the below image which i have taken before starting your notes.

1628152577048.png

As you mentioned my build is 3617. So i have started to follow your method.

In your above points, I have done from 1 to 4 and it works very well.
In 5th point, burning tool is not detecting my MI box and not started the flashing process.

Once i powered on with back + OK button it is going the below screen

1628144860918.png

Please help me, what i have to do next ?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021
Dear Rehaan,

View attachment 5378531

In 5th point, burning tool is not detecting my MI box and not started the flashing process.

View attachment 5378453

Is android 8 2562 update started in first step? Try to repeat the process again. If the 1st step update does not start update it from recovery by using "Apply update from EXT".

satya_gen

Nov 30, 2008
Yes. I have started the first step with 8 2562 only.
As per your notes, 1 to 4 steps worked well and when i was in your 5th step, my MI box is not detecting in the USB flashing tool.

Hope you would have seen my screenshots above.

Pls tell me, what I have to do now and how i have to connect the MI box with the USB flashing tool ?

Jul 25, 2021
Dear Rehaan,

View attachment 5378531

View attachment 5378453

Is android 8 2562 update started in first step? Try to repeat the process again. If the 1st step update does not start update it from recovery by using "Apply update from EXT".
Yes. I have started the first step with 8 2562 only.
As per your notes, 1 to 4 steps worked well and when i was in your 5th step, my MI box is not detecting in the USB flashing tool.

Hope you would have seen my screenshots above.

Pls tell me, what I have to do now and how i have to connect the MI box with the USB flashing tool ?
Try to change the USB male to male cable.

satya_gen

Nov 30, 2008
Dear Rehaan,

I have done the same method again.

Now, when power on my MI box, it is appearing MI logo only again and again and not going to any next stage. Even now not able to go to the recovery mode also.

Please tell me, what i have to do next ?

Is it possible to install Oreo 8 ?
Or Is there any method to come back to Pie 9 ?

Please help me to unbrick.

Jul 25, 2021
Trybei
Dear Rehaan,

I have done the same method again.

Now, when power on my MI box, it is appearing MI logo only again and again and not going to any next stage. Even now not able to go to the recovery mode also.

Please tell me, what i have to do next ?

Is it possible to install Oreo 8 ?
Or Is there any method to come back to Pie 9 ?

Please help me to unbrick.
Try with different USB male to male cable once

Jul 25, 2021
Does anyone facing audio dropouts after downgrading from pie to oreo. I am facing audio dropouts for a 1 sec in amazon prime video and kodi while playing Dolby digital plus 5.1 files

satya_gen

Nov 30, 2008
Dear Rehaan,

I have changed the cable and try to do your notes again with back + OK button but MI logo page only appearing again and again in my TV.

It is not going to the next step.

Pls help me to unbrick the box to Oreo or Pie.

lifesaver38

Jan 1, 2019
Grenoble
This method will not work if the device is updated to 3617 version. To downgrade from Android 9 3617 to Android 8, first you need to half brick your Mi Box.
1. To do that you need to install Android 8 2562 update through recovery. Download the android 8 2562 update from following link (https://disk.yandex.com/d/RnN2hz_IUEMOSg?w=1) and extract the update.zip and xiaomi_update files to root of your FAT32 USB drive.
2. Turn off the Mi Box, connect the USB drive to Mi Box and power on the box using BACK+OK buttons and don't release it until you see installing update screen with big circle.
3. It will try install the update and will restart the device. After restart it will be half bricked and will be stuck at Mi screensaver page.
4. Power off the device, connect the Mi Box and computer using USB male to male cable. Open AMlogic burning tool load the mdz16ab.img file in burning tool, uncheck the erase boot loader and in erase flash select Normal erase and click on start.
5. Power on the device by holding BACK+OK buttons, you will see in burning tool that flashing process will start and it will take around 4 min 25 sec to flash the image.
6. After the flash is 100% completed, click on stop in the burning tool and disconnect the USB cable and power off the device.
7. Insert the USB drive with update android 8 2562 which we have created in the first step. and turn on the device by holding BACK+OK buttons until you see installing update screen with big circle. That's it your device is downgraded to android 8.
8. Device will restart 3-4 times during the installing update process and do not remove the USB drive until you see rotating android logo.

Note:
The moment you connect the device to internet it will download & install android 9. So before that you need to fill the internal store till it has below 400MB. I left 1GB space in the box and connected to internet after 5 mins it said preparing for installing update, then i turned off the device and did a factory reset from settings and filled the space below 300MB for safety and connected to internet. Through ADB install any file explorer and through USB drive fill the device internal memory. There is no other option left.

Source is in Russian:

Happy Flashing.
Works perfectly, thanks !
I do differently to block Android update: I let the update download, then (and there you have to be attentive) I unplug the MIBOX at the preparation of the installation of the update. I plug the MIBOX that starts, and leads to a permanent failure of the update;)

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021
I do differently to block Android update: I let the update download, then (and there you have to be attentive) I unplug the MIBOX at the preparation of the installation of the update. I plug the MIBOX that starts, and leads to a permanent failure of the update;)
This will work for certain period of time. If the system checks for update it will redownload the update and installs it. And other option is to block the Url/domain name in router from where android update will be downloaded in MIBOX.

r3617

Jul 25, 2021
lifesaver38,

Are you facing any audio dropouts while playing Dolby digital plus videos from Amazon Prime Video and kodi. I am getting audio dropouts for a second after downgrade. I have updated to android 9 and no audio dropouts have been observed. My setup is mi box connected to AV receiver and to TV.

Jul 25, 2021
I don't use amazon prime... But Kodi yes.
No problems with android 8 and kodi 18.9
Do you use kodi 18.9 or 19.1 with android 9 ?
In android 8 with kodi 18.9 audio passthrough I faced audio dropouts for dolby digital plus format, so i have updated my MI Box to android 9 with same setup and in kodi 18.9 no audio dropouts observed. As of now I am on android 9. I have downgraded tiwice to solve this issue but no luck.

satya_gen

Nov 30, 2008
Dear Rehaan,
I tried a lot to unbrick my MI box but was not able to do it. Once switch on it is always going to startup MI logo page only again and again.

So i'm planning to use my another MI Box 3 (MDZ-16-AB) which has already updated to android 9.

satya_gen

Nov 30, 2008
Now I'm using MI BOX 3 (MDZ-16-AB) with android 9.
I have connected through UGREEN ethernet adopter.
I'm using NETFLIX with a premium 4K subscription account as well.

Is there any option to get Dolby Atmos audio output from NETFLIX ?

alexwoc

Aug 28, 2021
Hello !

For first, thank for this tuto. I've downgrade my miBox 3 from Android 9 to Android 8. But i have another problem. When I start the box, there's an automatic update from Android software to return to Android 9. In the menu, i don't have a "Auto Update Off". Anyone can help me please ?

Thanks a lot ! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Note:

Source is in Russian:

Happy Flashing.
    My English is very poor, I use Chinese, with the original Chinese tutorial. Use GOOGLE Translate to English to share the downgrade process. The process is very simple. I hope to help people who want to downgrade from pie to oreo without losing the DRM copyright, WIFI, Bluetooth, and Netflix SN.

Model: MI BOX 3 ( MDZ-16-AB) downgrade Android 9 Pie R2926 to Android 8 oreo R2167
    Tools needed:
    PC Windows 7 OS or higher, it is recommended to use the rear USB port of the computer

Download MDZ16AB.IMG firmware
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-fGnIP7iLmpHUNRPhlWyEnEVHuraDc1q?usp=sharing

Download Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool_v2.2.0
    https://mega.nz/file/Hd0CmACT#OPws8xFAPOGR6SmFJKfkVQ4SXjXpetJHmZZZ7nqkRHc

Download MI BOX3 Oreo R2167 Update.zip
    https://mega.nz/file/gh0xCCrR#ctdPivezVFNAuMLq19eOepO1LHJCfVNhowmZz7Fx87s

USB Male to Male cable, buy it or make it yourself.

USB flash disk-Format Fat32

--------Start----------

1. Open Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool and click the upper left corner to load MDZ16AB.IMG firmware. After the firmware verification is completed, pay attention to the option on the right, DO NOT ERASE ALL. Uncheck Erase bootloader and keep it to'Normal erase', this is to keep DRM keys which allows Netflix to work. Once again, confirm that there is no selection error and click "Start".
    gjYH4jx.png

PqMjNSs.png

2. Use a USB Male to Male cable to connect the PC and MI BOX 3 that is not powered on, and then press and hold the Bluetooth remote control hold Back+Okay, turn on the power of MI BOX 3, and enter Recovery mode.
    kteGhPw.jpg

3. On the Recovery interface, use the Bluetooth remote control, select Reboot to bootloader, press confirm, MI BOX 3 will restart, and the TV will display a gray MI LOGO interface, successfully enter the official bootloader preload certification, be careful not to disconnect USB Male to Male cable.
    9A5CLue.jpg

4. Unplug the power of MI BOX 3 again, wait for 5 to 10 seconds, press and hold the Bluetooth remote control hold Back+Okay, turn on the power of MI BOX 3, you will see the Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool progress bar moving, from 1 % To 100%.
    BEVNvEQ.jpg

oMDG5wS.jpg

LkKklrF.jpg

ZwhCMFs.jpg

5. After the Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool progress reaches 100%, click Stop and unplug the USB cable, power off and restart MI BOX 3. Then MI BOX 3 will enter the recovery cycle, don't be afraid.
    rLwIJfV.jpg

6. Power off MI BOX 3, save the oreo R2167 upgrade file into a FAT32 format U disk, insert the USB port of MI BOX 3, turn on the power, it will automatically update, the update process is about 5 minutes, after the update is complete, you will Successfully fall back to Android oreo r2167. Enter Recovery mode again, Wipe clears the date and cache and restarts to complete.
    fLYuVvb.jpg

r9tONAu.jpg

Iajjmci.jpg

For the recovery cycle, please check the tutorial:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/97rvqg/mi_box_stuck_in_recovery_mode/e4ct7n0/

This method may help restore the mirror image of the mi box that can enter the Recovery mode and become a brick. For example, Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool displays a 1% Low_Power error, but it is not guaranteed.

Please download the complete img file, it cannot be damaged. Use high-quality USB cable, high-quality U disk, use computer rear USB interface
    Thanks for your information, I'm tried to mibox downgrade ,too.
    My mother language is chinese, too.
    Thanks again. (再次感謝)
    I´m able to boot to recovery, the select reboot to bootloader but the computer/Amlogic USB burning tool does not detect the mi box

Any suggestions?
    For anyone stuck on the low_power, low power, 1%, constantly flashing the Mi logo over and over bootloop issue, after a bad flash, here is the fix. A real fix.

Do NOT short the pins as shown in many tutorials. I have played with this box all day and it did not work for me. I have hooked up a UART/serial connector to it using this information - https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/xiaomi-mi-box-3-mdz-16-ab-boot-log-and-uart-location.3702010/
    and there is simply no connection from the amlogic flasher on windows when the pins are shorted. It appears that shorting the pins just halts the Mibox.

What DOES work is:

Mibox power UNPLUGGED
    Usb male-male plugged in to both the Mibox and PC/laptop
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VERY IMPORTANT NEXT STEP

Open the Amlogic flash tool, load the flashable Oreo file, let it hash check the file, set the tool correctly to NOT erase bootloader

Do NOT untick the 'erase bootloader' option BEFORE loading the flashable image.

If you do, you may miss the fact that the box gets re-ticked after the image has been loaded and checked. Always make sure the 'erase bootloader' is NOT ticked before pressing START.

You will permanently lose Widevine and the ability to play Netflix in HD if you do not follow the above step.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Power on the Mibox
    It will connect for about 1 second, then disconnect for about 4 seconds as it bootloops. You will see 'Connected' in the Amlogic tool briefly, then disappear as it bootloops.
    Press the Amlogic START button as soon as you see 'Connected' (and hear the Windows USB connect sound)
    The flash will commence and should complete successfully
    After the flash you need to close the Amlogic tool, unplug the Mibox power, remove the usb cord, and power the Mibox back on while holding the remote button combo of the centre button (inside the large ring button) and the back arrow.
    This takes you to recovery where you MUST wipe the data and cache partitions. The box will boot without doing this, but will not ever load the main gui screen as the data and cache partitions have usually been damaged, and wiping them actually re-creates them.

The last step is to come back here and post if this worked for you or not. It should, as I said earlier I played with this box all day - I even discovered through uart (when it was bootlooping on me) that it will auto load a binary called aml_autoscript (which needs to be created with the linux tool mkimage). I made a test script containing only 'printenv' and have managed to copy the uboot environment, which may prove useful for playing around with the box more in the future.

I hope the above helps those with the 1% low power issue. Let me know if it works successfully.