Mi Box 3 (MDZ-16-AB) downgrade Android 9 Pie to Android 8 oreo

Search This thread
Jul 25, 2021
Apple iPhone 12
Hello !

For first, thank for this tuto. I've downgrade my miBox 3 from Android 9 to Android 8. But i have another problem. When I start the box, there's an automatic update from Android software to return to Android 9. In the menu, i don't have a "Auto Update Off". Anyone can help me please ?

Thanks a lot ! :)
Install the required apps from adb amd fill up the internal storage and leave 400MB it will not update to android 9

Jul 25, 2021
Apple iPhone 12
Hello !

For first, thank for this tuto. I've downgrade my miBox 3 from Android 9 to Android 8. But i have another problem. When I start the box, there's an automatic update from Android software to return to Android 9. In the menu, i don't have a "Auto Update Off". Anyone can help me please ?

Thanks a lot ! :)
Install the required apps from adb amd fill up the internal storage and leave 400MB it will not update to android 9

pikouchou

Oct 5, 2010
Xiaomi Mi 9 SE
Hi,
I've succesful downgrade my mibox 3 with half-brick method and go back to r2562 build.
Does someone have last oreo build r2573 because of DD+ droptouts with r2562 build ?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021
Apple iPhone 12
Looks like there is a bug in r2562 build which is causing DD+ audio dropouts through audio passthrough, can someone has the latest oreo build for Mi Box 3

1631306724628.png

Jul 25, 2021
Apple iPhone 12
Whoever has mibox getting updated automatically from Android 8 to 9 issue may try the following in adb

adb shell pm disable-user android.autoinstalls.config.xioami.mibox3

1631459567106.png

Last edited:

adrianj93

Mar 5, 2014
If you guys have a problem with detecting Mibox by AmLogic USB Burning Tool.

1. Disconnect Mibox from power source.
2. Set up USB Tool normally, so load firmare, uncheck "Erase bootloader" and click start.
3. Flash Oreo update.zip using recovery. This will kind of "softbrick" your Mibox, but trigger bootloader mode to become visible for USB Burning tool.
4. After plugging in usb cable to Mibox, the flashing started normally. You can continue original tutorial.

lenny73

Jul 28, 2020
I'm so sick of the MiBox restarting every now and then. I tried everything and nothing works. Downgrading is my last chance.
Thank you very much everybody. I'll try the downgrade as soon as I can get an USB male to male cable. I went to 3 stores near my house and they don't have it. :(

lenny73

Jul 28, 2020
This method will not work if the device is updated to 3617 version. To downgrade from Android 9 3617 to Android 8, first you need to half brick your Mi Box.
1. To do that you need to install Android 8 2562 update through recovery. Download the android 8 2562 update from following link (https://disk.yandex.com/d/RnN2hz_IUEMOSg?w=1) and extract the update.zip and xiaomi_update files to root of your FAT32 USB drive.
2. Turn off the Mi Box, connect the USB drive to Mi Box and power on the box using BACK+OK buttons and don't release it until you see installing update screen with big circle.
3. It will try install the update and will restart the device. After restart it will be half bricked and will be stuck at Mi screensaver page.
4. Power off the device, connect the Mi Box and computer using USB male to male cable. Open AMlogic burning tool load the mdz16ab.img file in burning tool, uncheck the erase boot loader and in erase flash select Normal erase and click on start.
5. Power on the device by holding BACK+OK buttons, you will see in burning tool that flashing process will start and it will take around 4 min 25 sec to flash the image.
6. After the flash is 100% completed, click on stop in the burning tool and disconnect the USB cable and power off the device.
7. Insert the USB drive with update android 8 2562 which we have created in the first step. and turn on the device by holding BACK+OK buttons until you see installing update screen with big circle. That's it your device is downgraded to android 8.
8. Device will restart 3-4 times during the installing update process and do not remove the USB drive until you see rotating android logo.

Note:
The moment you connect the device to internet it will download & install android 9. So before that you need to fill the internal store till it has below 400MB. I left 1GB space in the box and connected to internet after 5 mins it said preparing for installing update, then i turned off the device and did a factory reset from settings and filled the space below 300MB for safety and connected to internet. Through ADB install any file explorer and through USB drive fill the device internal memory. There is no other option left.

Source is in Russian:

Happy Flashing.

I followed your instructions and everything went great. The only thing that wasn't correct is step 1: you don't have to extract the zip file, just copy the "update.zip" file and the "xiaomi_update" file to the USB drive. Otherwise, you won't see the installing update screen.
Thank you very much.

lenny73

Jul 28, 2020
This method will not work if the device is updated to 3617 version. To downgrade from Android 9 3617 to Android 8, first you need to half brick your Mi Box.
1. To do that you need to install Android 8 2562 update through recovery. Download the android 8 2562 update from following link (https://disk.yandex.com/d/RnN2hz_IUEMOSg?w=1) and extract the update.zip and xiaomi_update files to root of your FAT32 USB drive.
2. Turn off the Mi Box, connect the USB drive to Mi Box and power on the box using BACK+OK buttons and don't release it until you see installing update screen with big circle.
3. It will try install the update and will restart the device. After restart it will be half bricked and will be stuck at Mi screensaver page.
4. Power off the device, connect the Mi Box and computer using USB male to male cable. Open AMlogic burning tool load the mdz16ab.img file in burning tool, uncheck the erase boot loader and in erase flash select Normal erase and click on start.
5. Power on the device by holding BACK+OK buttons, you will see in burning tool that flashing process will start and it will take around 4 min 25 sec to flash the image.
6. After the flash is 100% completed, click on stop in the burning tool and disconnect the USB cable and power off the device.
7. Insert the USB drive with update android 8 2562 which we have created in the first step. and turn on the device by holding BACK+OK buttons until you see installing update screen with big circle. That's it your device is downgraded to android 8.
8. Device will restart 3-4 times during the installing update process and do not remove the USB drive until you see rotating android logo.

Note:
The moment you connect the device to internet it will download & install android 9. So before that you need to fill the internal store till it has below 400MB. I left 1GB space in the box and connected to internet after 5 mins it said preparing for installing update, then i turned off the device and did a factory reset from settings and filled the space below 300MB for safety and connected to internet. Through ADB install any file explorer and through USB drive fill the device internal memory. There is no other option left.

Source is in Russian:

Happy Flashing.
I only wanted to thank you one more time.
With the last update build 3934, I can't install apps from the external HDD, I have permissions but says there's an error in the analysis of the package. And I can't write content to the HDD either. This version also added extra apps, ACR and a bunch of useless crap.
So, I followed the downgrade tutorial one more time BUT in step 7, I used an usb drive with Android 9 build 2926 (the first one for Android 9, at least available, can be downloaded from the thread in this site). And everything went great too. I successfully downgraded my MiBox from Android 9 build 3934 to build 2926.

Reactions: rehaan.rahaman

baolinhvn

Nov 28, 2018
1. To do that you need to install Android 8 2562 update through recovery. Download the android 8 2562 update from following link (https://disk.yandex.com/d/RnN2hz_IUEMOSg?w=1) and copy the update.zip and xiaomi_update files to root of your FAT32 USB drive.

Note:

Source is in Russian:

Happy Flashing.
can i use file android 8 r2562 to update from android 6.0.1 to android 8 use usb ?
Thanks
I want passthrouh true hd audio in kodi 18.9 r2167 or 2562 ok ?

mini21

Apr 15, 2012
Warszawa
www.fotomini.com.pl
1. To do that you need to install Android 8 2562 update through recovery. Download the android 8 2562 update from following link (https://disk.yandex.com/d/RnN2hz_IUEMOSg?w=1) and copy the update.zip and xiaomi_update files to root of your FAT32 USB drive.

Note:

Source is in Russian:

Happy Flashing.
I tried this method and ended up bricking the Mi Box.
Even the LED on the front is not lit :(

lenny73

Jul 28, 2020
I tried this method and ended up bricking the Mi Box.
Even the LED on the front is not lit :(
You obviously did something wrong. I followed those intructions by the letter and flashed my MiBox 3 times perfectly. Anyway, there's an unbricking tutorial here, search for it. Good luck.

mini21

Apr 15, 2012
Warszawa
www.fotomini.com.pl
You obviously did something wrong. I followed those intructions by the letter and flashed my MiBox 3 times perfectly. Anyway, there's an unbricking tutorial here, search for it. Good luck.
Thx.
I tried to save the Mi Box according to the guide.
I opened the case, shorted the pins and the device began to be visible in the system.
Only that when I did according to the guide, it showed Low Power and nothing was going.
I try to unbrick.
Connect pins, mi box show

Cagianini

Dec 15, 2021
Guys my Netflix stopped working, I think I did not uncheck the boot looder , Erro Netflix UI 800 3 307006, Could someone help me?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Note:

Source is in Russian:

Happy Flashing.
    My English is very poor, I use Chinese, with the original Chinese tutorial. Use GOOGLE Translate to English to share the downgrade process. The process is very simple. I hope to help people who want to downgrade from pie to oreo without losing the DRM copyright, WIFI, Bluetooth, and Netflix SN.

Model: MI BOX 3 ( MDZ-16-AB) downgrade Android 9 Pie R2926 to Android 8 oreo R2167
    Tools needed:
    PC Windows 7 OS or higher, it is recommended to use the rear USB port of the computer

Download MDZ16AB.IMG firmware
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-fGnIP7iLmpHUNRPhlWyEnEVHuraDc1q?usp=sharing

Download Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool_v2.2.0
    https://mega.nz/file/Hd0CmACT#OPws8xFAPOGR6SmFJKfkVQ4SXjXpetJHmZZZ7nqkRHc

Download MI BOX3 Oreo R2167 Update.zip
    https://mega.nz/file/gh0xCCrR#ctdPivezVFNAuMLq19eOepO1LHJCfVNhowmZz7Fx87s

USB Male to Male cable, buy it or make it yourself.

USB flash disk-Format Fat32

--------Start----------

1. Open Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool and click the upper left corner to load MDZ16AB.IMG firmware. After the firmware verification is completed, pay attention to the option on the right, DO NOT ERASE ALL. Uncheck Erase bootloader and keep it to'Normal erase', this is to keep DRM keys which allows Netflix to work. Once again, confirm that there is no selection error and click "Start".
    gjYH4jx.png

PqMjNSs.png

2. Use a USB Male to Male cable to connect the PC and MI BOX 3 that is not powered on, and then press and hold the Bluetooth remote control hold Back+Okay, turn on the power of MI BOX 3, and enter Recovery mode.
    kteGhPw.jpg

3. On the Recovery interface, use the Bluetooth remote control, select Reboot to bootloader, press confirm, MI BOX 3 will restart, and the TV will display a gray MI LOGO interface, successfully enter the official bootloader preload certification, be careful not to disconnect USB Male to Male cable.
    9A5CLue.jpg

4. Unplug the power of MI BOX 3 again, wait for 5 to 10 seconds, press and hold the Bluetooth remote control hold Back+Okay, turn on the power of MI BOX 3, you will see the Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool progress bar moving, from 1 % To 100%.
    BEVNvEQ.jpg

oMDG5wS.jpg

LkKklrF.jpg

ZwhCMFs.jpg

5. After the Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool progress reaches 100%, click Stop and unplug the USB cable, power off and restart MI BOX 3. Then MI BOX 3 will enter the recovery cycle, don't be afraid.
    rLwIJfV.jpg

6. Power off MI BOX 3, save the oreo R2167 upgrade file into a FAT32 format U disk, insert the USB port of MI BOX 3, turn on the power, it will automatically update, the update process is about 5 minutes, after the update is complete, you will Successfully fall back to Android oreo r2167. Enter Recovery mode again, Wipe clears the date and cache and restarts to complete.
    fLYuVvb.jpg

r9tONAu.jpg

Iajjmci.jpg

For the recovery cycle, please check the tutorial:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/97rvqg/mi_box_stuck_in_recovery_mode/e4ct7n0/

This method may help restore the mirror image of the mi box that can enter the Recovery mode and become a brick. For example, Amlogic-USB_Burning_Tool displays a 1% Low_Power error, but it is not guaranteed.

Please download the complete img file, it cannot be damaged. Use high-quality USB cable, high-quality U disk, use computer rear USB interface
    Thanks for your information, I'm tried to mibox downgrade ,too.
    My mother language is chinese, too.
    Thanks again. (再次感謝)
    I´m able to boot to recovery, the select reboot to bootloader but the computer/Amlogic USB burning tool does not detect the mi box

Any suggestions?

Note:

Source is in Russian:

Happy Flashing.
    I only wanted to thank you one more time.
    With the last update build 3934, I can't install apps from the external HDD, I have permissions but says there's an error in the analysis of the package. And I can't write content to the HDD either. This version also added extra apps, ACR and a bunch of useless crap.
    So, I followed the downgrade tutorial one more time BUT in step 7, I used an usb drive with Android 9 build 2926 (the first one for Android 9, at least available, can be downloaded from the thread in this site). And everything went great too. I successfully downgraded my MiBox from Android 9 build 3934 to build 2926.