Mi Box S ROM booting on my S905X thanks to project treble

Search This thread

DiogoSilva48

Feb 19, 2016
Oporto
Hey, I wanted to share with you people a little experiment I've been trying.

We have been seeing a lot of 9.0 ROM's come to our Amlogic devices and when I found out about the presence of the Project Treble on these I wondered about the possibility of booting Certified Images, like the Mi Box S, on my device.

So I installed DaivietPDA 9.0 for TX5 Pro ROM (which is the one I found to work best on my device, other ROM's such as ATVXPERIENCE should work as well), downloaded an OTA Image for Mi Box S 9.0 update, converted the system.new.dat.br to system.img, used TWRP to install the system and VOILA!!! IT BOOTED!! Everything is working perfectly, WIFI, Bluetooth, etc, etc. (Even with different wifi chips, since the vendor is untocuhed). One amazing thing I also noticed is that finally I was getting Play Store Certification. Also, don't forget to disable Chromecast app it won't work without certification, will just make your device slower.

It would be pretty interesting for someone with a AOSP ROM 9.0 who wants to get Android TV. I also thought about the possibility of booting ROM's from Android 10 devices like the Chromecast with Google TV but I don't think it will be possible since those devices will be using vndk29 while the 9 ROM's are vndk28 but I could be wrong, on the same thought I'm not sure if other Amlogic chipsets such as S912, S905X2, etc will be compatible as well as I don't own one personally but if someone could test, would be appreciated.

Anyway, I'll leave down bellow what I've used to get it booted and some screenshots (even though you're already familiar with Android TV UI). If you think I should do a more detailed tutorial let me know and most importantly I want to get some feedback from other people who try this.

lxQfp16.png

X3xnriE.png

6CIAlNj.png

gzKj8DQ.png

ROM I've Used
https://daivietpda.com/2020/03/rom-atv9-v6-cho-tx5-tx5-limited-tx5-pro/

Mi Box S OTA Update
https://r3---sn-2vgu0b5auxaxjvh-v2vz.gvt1.com/packages/data/ota-api/xiaomi_oneday_oneday/811d10683084df7512b6cd56d137d53193c81856.zip?cms_redirect=yes&mh=eW&mip=2001:8a0:e548:8600:5131:81e4:bac6:79d2&mm=31&mn=sn-2vgu0b5auxaxjvh-v2vz&ms=au&mt=1604570212&mv=m&mvi=3&pl=42

TWRP
(attached down bellow)

Attachments

• TWRP331_AML_ViT.zip
    13.8 MB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Reactions: awaisiqbal

gcsuri

Mar 23, 2007
Hi,

it's great! You may try to copy widevine related files from the Mi Box vendor to the working vendor ...

aymanshow

Feb 3, 2015
gr8 work bro, actually i was searching for a certified ATV Rom and play store.
my device is x96 Max 4/64 aml s905x2 u212 running XTM_X96M4G_ATV9_V1_0 (XTMOD v1 custom rom).

the question is what about flashing the update directly without the Rom you used??

aidanmacgregor

Nov 19, 2011
Caithness
aidansrom.ml
Ok Here's What I found playing with this, may be helpful for someone

I Tried Flashing From Many Firmware's (At least 8 Different 9.0 Firmware's Some Android TV Others Not TV) And Davietpda (Namely Version I Used: aml_upgrade_package_s905x-tx5-atv9-v6-fix-ce AP6212) was the only firmware to successfully boot into TWRP (other roms would fail to install TWRP with a error about permissions or if it did install it would not get past the TEAMWIN boot logo so couldn't try to install the system.img)
Using The Davietpda v6 firmware worked but i had no Wi-Fi, Bluetooth Or Remote Control (Only HDMI CEC & USB)
I Attempted To Repackage Davietpda Firmware With The Vendor Partition Replaced With one From an older davietpda firmware that my Wi-Fi & Remote Worked in (This Is Actually V1 of Davietpda ap6212 But NOT in v6 With Wi-Fi my Wi-Fi being AP6212a, The "A" variant seems to need different nvram)) This Was Unsuccessful
I Then Made A USB Burn Tool IMG with Only V1 Davietpda Vendor Partition and flashed this using USB Burn Tool
After Flashing The Image And Letting The System Try & Boot, it failed to boot and came up with recovery options, After A Factory Reset Here my system booted with working Wi-Fi Bluetooth & Remote Control

In The Time Since Posting This I Have Crafted 2 Base Firmwares (Not Android TV) To Flash Over, Then Created 3 TWRP Install Zip Files
● If Wi-Fi Already Works,
● For Ap6212a (The A Variant Needs Different NVRAM.txt) & Maybe Others
● Universal Version That Should Install Over Treble Enabled Firmware (Using TWRP & This Is Untested)

Last edited:

aidanmacgregor

Nov 19, 2011
Caithness
aidansrom.ml
Not a stupid question at all that's how we learn :D and I'm not sure what you mean by this but I assume this is what you wear looking for awnser wise, the firmware is only released as an OTA update package so needs files & partition layout from a base FW to update to

deohieu712

Dec 6, 2020
Hi DiogoSilva48
I tested it on Mini M8s II and It's very good. Thank you very much!
I have 1 android box other used S912, I have installed firmware slimbox ATV 9, however bluetooth and wifi are not working.
I have stock Android firmware 7.1.2, can you integrate bluetooth, wifi into slimbox firmware? Or show me how to do it?

aidanmacgregor

Nov 19, 2011
Caithness
aidansrom.ml
Hi DiogoSilva48
I have 1 android box other used S912, I have installed firmware slimbox ATV 9, however bluetooth and wifi are not working.
I have stock Android firmware 7.1.2, can you integrate bluetooth, wifi into slimbox firmware? Or show me how to do it?

wifi drivers from android 7 wont work in android 8+ due to newer kernel, drivers would need to be compiled for 4.19 kernel (not android 7 3.14)

Reactions: deohieu712

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey, I wanted to share with you people a little experiment I've been trying.

We have been seeing a lot of 9.0 ROM's come to our Amlogic devices and when I found out about the presence of the Project Treble on these I wondered about the possibility of booting Certified Images, like the Mi Box S, on my device.

So I installed DaivietPDA 9.0 for TX5 Pro ROM (which is the one I found to work best on my device, other ROM's such as ATVXPERIENCE should work as well), downloaded an OTA Image for Mi Box S 9.0 update, converted the system.new.dat.br to system.img, used TWRP to install the system and VOILA!!! IT BOOTED!! Everything is working perfectly, WIFI, Bluetooth, etc, etc. (Even with different wifi chips, since the vendor is untocuhed). One amazing thing I also noticed is that finally I was getting Play Store Certification. Also, don't forget to disable Chromecast app it won't work without certification, will just make your device slower.

It would be pretty interesting for someone with a AOSP ROM 9.0 who wants to get Android TV. I also thought about the possibility of booting ROM's from Android 10 devices like the Chromecast with Google TV but I don't think it will be possible since those devices will be using vndk29 while the 9 ROM's are vndk28 but I could be wrong, on the same thought I'm not sure if other Amlogic chipsets such as S912, S905X2, etc will be compatible as well as I don't own one personally but if someone could test, would be appreciated.

Anyway, I'll leave down bellow what I've used to get it booted and some screenshots (even though you're already familiar with Android TV UI). If you think I should do a more detailed tutorial let me know and most importantly I want to get some feedback from other people who try this.

lxQfp16.png

X3xnriE.png

6CIAlNj.png

gzKj8DQ.png

ROM I've Used
    https://daivietpda.com/2020/03/rom-atv9-v6-cho-tx5-tx5-limited-tx5-pro/

Mi Box S OTA Update
    https://r3---sn-2vgu0b5auxaxjvh-v2vz.gvt1.com/packages/data/ota-api/xiaomi_oneday_oneday/811d10683084df7512b6cd56d137d53193c81856.zip?cms_redirect=yes&mh=eW&mip=2001:8a0:e548:8600:5131:81e4:bac6:79d2&mm=31&mn=sn-2vgu0b5auxaxjvh-v2vz&ms=au&mt=1604570212&mv=m&mvi=3&pl=42

TWRP
    (attached down bellow)
    Hi DiogoSilva48

wifi drivers from android 7 wont work in android 8+ due to newer kernel, drivers would need to be compiled for 4.19 kernel (not android 7 3.14)