MI7 keeps asking for password after factory reset, despite me wiping data - ideas?

Search This thread

bhuether

Sep 19, 2009
Hi, I have MI7 and after wiping data (noticed at show 2% complete and just returns, saying wipe was done, so maybe that is a sign of something) and rebooting it keeps saying that there was a factory reset and I need to enter password. I keep going into MI 3 Recovery and choosing MI Connect and trying ADB but `adb devices` simply lists a sideload entry and adb shell keeps returning error:closed. So `adb shell rm /data/system/gesture.key` doesn't work as it returns `error closed`. The MI PC Console tool doesn't detect the phone.

If I type `adb reboot-bootloader` my phone shows Fastboot but no menu. Just hangs at fastboot. `fastboot devices` returns a fastboot device.

So seems like there are some signs my phone is able to be communicated with, but none of the usual commands are helping me get anywhere...

Really not sure how to totally reset this device so I can start all over again. This factory reset loop just doesn't want to go away.

Any ideas how to get this phone to behave like it is brand new, regardless how technical?

thanks,
Brian

Last edited:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Hi, I have MI7 and after wiping data (noticed at show 2% complete and just returns, saying wipe was done, so maybe that is a sign of something) and rebooting it keeps saying that there was a factory reset and I need to enter password. I keep going into MI 3 Recovery and choosing MI Connect and trying ADB but `adb devices` simply lists a sideload entry and adb shell keeps returning error:closed. So `adb shell rm /data/system/gesture.key` doesn't work as it returns `error closed`. The MI PC Console tool doesn't detect the phone.

If I type `adb reboot-bootloader` my phone shows Fastboot but no menu. Just hangs at fastboot. `fastboot devices` returns a fastboot device.

So seems like there are some signs my phone is able to be communicated with, but none of the usual commands are helping me get anywhere...

Really not sure how to totally reset this device so I can start all over again. This factory reset loop just doesn't want to go away.

Any ideas how to get this phone to behave like it is brand new, regardless how technical?

thanks,
Brian
Sounds like you are dealing with Factory Reset Protection(FRP). You need to look for methods to bypass FRP.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk