Micro SD Cards for the Hero

Search This thread

Merckle

Dec 18, 2007
Greenville
Was wondering a few questions about upgrading my memory card.
I was looking at getting a 16gb Sandisk Class 2 = $30 ish

Anyone know of any higher or cheaper prices?

Whats the highest class the hero can hold?

I plan on upgrading to the EVO, I know it holds 32gb but which class would be better?

Last edited:

Lessthantito

Aug 2, 2009
Jacksonville
Unless you want to pay more for your MicroSD than for your phone I would just stick with the 16GB, the 32 costs $200. as for the class most people use a class 6 card I think there may be some higher speed classes but that would also incur higher costs.

navalynt

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 12, 2009
Anchorage, AK
www.mikeandjessee.com
There's a 16GB Class 10 from Kingston out there for about $100, that's the fastest you'll find.

Here's a LINK to Amazon for a TopRam 16GB Class 4 for about $40 shipped. It's good middle-ground until the 32GB cards drop in price.

regaw_leinad

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 30, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.regawmod.com

class 2
shootself.gif

mercado79

Oct 4, 2008
Boston, MA
Been using a class 2 16gb card for a few months now and I can't say I mind the speed at all. The price was right (around $25 at Amazon on sale) and it hasn't given me any problems. The only time I really notice the speed is when loading up my music collection. Other than that...I can't complain.

However, I don't run Apps2sd. If you're planning to do that, you might want to pay extra and go for a higher speed card.

danknee

From Amazon I got a Transcend class 6 8gb card for $21.

I have had serious issues with Hong Kong generic cards (said Sony..but were fake) in the past, so buyer beware. Specifically I had two high capacity memory sticks completely fail within one month of purchase for my modded PSP. I was running Dark Alex's custom firmware and swapping a ton of games on and off the card as well as streaming games over wifi. Under the same conditions my name brand high capacity cards have been working flawlessly for over a year now.

bk718

Jun 23, 2007
Charlotte, NC
just wait for the release of the 2TB microSDXC.. :D

nah, but seriously.. i would recommend a class 6.. i have a 8GB class 6 Sandisk and a friend of mine HAD* a 8GB class 2 Sandisk, both of us running apps2sd.. and you can really see the difference in performance.. (needless to say, he upgraded to a class 6)

unCoRrUpTeD

Mar 22, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I forked over the money and got a 8Gb class 6 for $24. Don't have a ton of music, but lots of other crap that i don't really need. Mainly got it for apps2sd.

energizer1389

Feb 1, 2010
You definitely need a Class 6 card to use A2SD effectively. Otherwise your phone will be choppy or laggy.

iviyth0s

Jul 8, 2009
You definitely need a Class 6 card to use A2SD effectively. Otherwise your phone will be choppy or laggy.
Not true, if you have a good class 2 you're fine. I run A2SD and have a Class 2 that doesn't lag any more than before I did A2SD.

I've gotten 7+MB/s when transfering something off of it in disk drive mode

energizer1389

Feb 1, 2010
Not true, if you have a good class 2 you're fine. I run A2SD and have a Class 2 that doesn't lag any more than before I did A2SD.

I've gotten 7+MB/s when transfering something off of it in disk drive mode

Some class 2 and class 4 cards are capable of performing at class 6 type speeds. You can call your self lucky. I got class 4 and my phone will never function as fast with a2sd as it does without. It will work fine if you dont have the Dalvik cache in your sd. But if you want everything to the sd card it will be choppy. Class 6 speeds are faster (in paper) than internal memory of the Hero. People have reported better performance with a2sd using a class 6 card than internal memory.

You should also try a 2.1 custom rom if you have not done so.

jonnythan

Oct 27, 2008
The class refers to minimum write speed, not read. Most Class 2 cards have read speeds rivaling or equaling those of Class 6 cards.

energizer1389

Feb 1, 2010
Ah gotcha :)
Yeah the write speeds aren't terrible but they're a little lower (like 4-5MB/s)

Im starting to get worried. I just got my transcend class 6 8gb micro sd. Im copying the data from a folder in my laptop to the card via a Pro Gear card reader. I have not seen the speed pass the 3.87 MB/second mark. I hope its the sd adapter and the reader and not the card.

Should I be worried??

jonnythan

Oct 27, 2008
Im starting to get worried. I just got my transcend class 6 8gb micro sd. Im copying the data from a folder in my laptop to the card via a Pro Gear card reader. I have not seen the speed pass the 3.87 MB/second mark. I hope its the sd adapter and the reader and not the card.

Should I be worried??

No. The write speed is measured as total throughput in ideal conditions on an new, empty, formatted card.

~ 4 MB/s as read by Windows isn't anything to really be worried about.