Micro SD read/write speed

Search This thread

Nimda01

Jun 15, 2012
Nonthaburi
Xperia XZ2
Sony Xperia 1 II
Just throwing in a theory. Seeing as previous XZ series has overheating issues, is it possible that Sony played safe with the initial release of the successor XZ2 by limiting the microsd speed so that it doesn't contribute much to the heat of the phone? In the android P beta they probably found that they could increase that limit as they experimented further.
I think it can't be this reason. All of Sony flagships up to 1st gen XZ series (XZ/XZs) has a limited microSD speed like XZ2 too. And these phones get overheated easier than 2nd Gen XZ (XZP/XZ1) which supported a max UHS-I speed.

Haldi4803

Oct 14, 2010
Amazon Fire HD 8 and HD 10
Xperia XZ2
I've done some Testing with AndroBench on a HTC10 and Sony Xperia XZ2.
Using a Samsung Evo+ 256gb and Sandisk Ultra 200gb microSD card.
The Samsung 256gb card was Empty and fresh formated in the device, the Sandisk is older an 90% Full.

Using HTC10:
Samsung Evo+ : 84MB/s Read 64Mb/s Write
Sandiks Ultra : 82MB/s Read 15MB/s Write

Using Sony Xperia XZ2:
Samsung Evo+ : 18MB/s Read 15MB/s Write
Sandiks Ultra : 21MB/s Read 12MB/s Write

And yes, you are right. Straight after a reboot the performance IS indeed better!
SanDisk Ultra:
v8ZptZK.png

Last edited:

NightOrchid

Apr 21, 2011
Hey Folks

Im using a Samsung 64 GB 95mb/s sd and Im getting about 18mbs... however, when I use both Google music and SONY Music... it takes about 3 secs for my album art to appear, then when I select an album... it freezes for about 2 secs untill the album loads in and I can play it, as if everything has to "Load in / cache" first... Even my Lumia 950XL windows phone sdcard was faster than this

Is this normal?

I wonder if thats why SONY fitted the BIONZ chip into the camera.. so the slow write speed wouldnt cause blurry jpeg images...

So the moral here .. dont waste your money an standard 80mb/s Class 10 is enough

Last edited:

espe0

May 4, 2012
Same for me... 128GB of multimedia and first time sony red only half of content. PLEASE SONY - FIX IT !

Geoffxx

Apr 2, 2013
I am not sure this issue can be fixed with a S/W update - sounds more like a hardware issue to me, I spent money on a super fast SD card (I already had an older one) to make use of the external card for my camera storage - not I am having to use internal storage so basically I wasted my money and the external card is not fit for purpose.

This is a massive failure IMO and I would urge everyone to to take this issue up with Sony as I am going to do

Reactions: MartinX3

jaytee23

Dec 8, 2013
I have a XZ2 Premium and the SD speeds are the same there. I seriously doubt that this is an "issue" that can be resolved via a software update, athough I would be very happy if that were to be the case. I'm almost certain these SD speeds are baked into the hardware Sony used. Holding out hope for a magical firmware update to fix this is, in my opinion, a false hope. Sony should be called out and berated for this design decision. To think, a flagship $1K phone with SD speeds of devices from years past. Thanks, Sony.

Geoffxx

Apr 2, 2013
I think I may have found the issue with r/w performance, can someone else try this

disable/uninstall/remove (you get the idea) the pre-installed antivirus app and test again

---------- Post added at 02:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 AM ----------

XZ1 vs XZ2, using a Sandisk 200 GB UHS-1 card with default android file system as exFAT tends to slow down speeds quite a lot I've noticed. If I had to guess why the speeds are so low, then it's because the sim and sd-card reader share the same bandwidth (one logic board for both) therefor making it close/less than USB 2.0 speeds. Even my S8/9 are slow since they have the same setup.
they may share the same tray I believe totally different connections

Last edited:

Techamazon

Dec 17, 2013
A lot of devices have gimped r/w due to being shared with another function on the same daughterboard, it's not just phones but a lot laptops, regardless if they are USB 2.0 or 3.0+

Geoffxx

Apr 2, 2013
A lot of devices have gimped r/w due to being shared with another function on the same daughterboard, it's not just phones but a lot laptops, regardless if they are USB 2.0 or 3.0+

you are correct to an extent were buses are shared etc but I doubt very much that the external SD card shares anything in common with an extra sim card as implicated above, they might be in the same tray but totally different connections and resources.

I have seen SD speed test results from XZ2 and Premium getting the correct rates, as I said above - disable the AVG anti Virus App and see how that goes

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi

Can you post your micro sd read/write speeds ?

Only 18mb/s for my SanDisk Extreme PRO 64 Gb U3. It's very slow... It was able to reach 80mb/s on my GS7.
    Tested with A1 SD bench app.

Thanks
    Hi

Can you post your micro sd read/write speeds ?

Only 18mb/s for my SanDisk Extreme PRO 64 Gb U3. It's very slow... It was able to reach 80mb/s on my GS7.
    Tested with A1 SD bench app.

Thanks

Unfortunately It's a firmware limit
    One strange thing : I tested sd card right after a reboot and it was able to reach 35mb/s r/w speed but few minutes later it dropped to 18mb/s with the same test.
    My sd card is not encrypted
    XZ1 vs XZ2, using a Sandisk 200 GB UHS-1 card with default android file system as exFAT tends to slow down speeds quite a lot I've noticed. If I had to guess why the speeds are so low, then it's because the sim and sd-card reader share the same bandwidth (one logic board for both) therefor making it close/less than USB 2.0 speeds. Even my S8/9 are slow since they have the same setup.
    Think mine could be wrong?
    Nonono. You go to Settings>target partition> and choose Storage/xyxy-xyxy.
    You've tested the internal storage and not MicroSD