Micro sd speed on Tab S7/S7 Plus (An issue?)

Search This thread

aoesp3

Aug 4, 2013
So slow according to normal. What is your micro sd card speed on your Tab s7/s7+? (Same micro sd on windows or android device has 90MB/s read speed and 55 MB/s write speed. I'm using Samsung Evo Plus White series)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220517-203905_A1 SD Bench.jpg
    Screenshot_20220517-203905_A1 SD Bench.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 23
So slow according to normal. What is your micro sd card speed on your Tab s7/s7+? (Same micro sd on windows or android device has 90MB/s read speed and 55 MB/s write speed. I'm using Samsung Evo Plus White series)
What brand are you using? Not all microSD cards are equal. Especially, since there are several knock offs on Amazon. I have a Samsung 512GB EVO microSD card in mine and I don't encounter any speed problems.

aoesp3

Aug 4, 2013
What brand are you using? Not all microSD cards are equal. Especially, since there are several knock offs on Amazon. I have a Samsung 512GB EVO microSD card in mine and I don't encounter any speed problems.
I have 128gb Samsung Evo Plus micro sd card. Card original. On windows or other android devices has no problem( Read:90MB/s Write:55MB/s on windows or other android devices)

aoesp3

Aug 4, 2013
I'm getting about the same. Did you encrypt your card? Mine is encrypted.

Encryption slows read/write speeds because it has to decrypt/encrypt when reading or writing.

I don't see any real world affects on performance.
Real world performance affected so much. Just try to write any files.

Real world performance affected so much. Just try to write any files.
How big are the files? How are you transferring them? Via USB from Mac/PC to the card in the tablet? Or from internal memory to the card?

If the former, your read/write speeds are going to be slower because you have to take into account the limitations of the USB cable and the bus speed from the USB ports on your computer and the bus speeds from the USB port to the card. Each transfer point is a place where it will slow down. If it is the latter, then your limited by the bus speed between internal memory and the card.

In either case, you will probably never reach the full read/write speed potential of the card. Even if you were to use a faster card, it won't improve your speeds all that much.

Internal memory to sd card or via usb or via otg doesn't matter.
Sorry for the slow response. In both cases you are subject to the internal bus limitations as well as card limitations.

Think of it as flying from New York to LA with a stop in Dallas. All three airports are big and the planes are fast, but in all three cases you are slowed down. You have to wait in line to get through security and get on the plane, then wait to take off, then wait for the plane to get to its gate in Dallas, etc. Each point is a bottleneck.

The point being is that anytime you have to transfer from one medium to another the transfer point will be the bottleneck. There isn't much that you can do to speed it up. Getting an even faster microSD card will not improve your performance by much.

aoesp3

Aug 4, 2013
Sorry for the slow response. In both cases you are subject to the internal bus limitations as well as card limitations.

Think of it as flying from New York to LA with a stop in Dallas. All three airports are big and the planes are fast, but in all three cases you are slowed down. You have to wait in line to get through security and get on the plane, then wait to take off, then wait for the plane to get to its gate in Dallas, etc. Each point is a bottleneck.

The point being is that anytime you have to transfer from one medium to another the transfer point will be the bottleneck. There isn't much that you can do to speed it up. Getting an even faster microSD card will not improve your performance by much.
Bro you don't understand me🙂.
Same micro sd(Plane)
in Windows Notebook ----Read 90 Mb/s Write 55Mb/s
in Poco X3 pro ---- Read 75 Mb/s Write 45 Mb/s
in Tab S7 ---- Read 20Mb/s Write 13Mb/s

Bro you don't understand me🙂.
Same micro sd(Plane)
in Windows Notebook ----Read 90 Mb/s Write 55Mb/s
in Poco X3 pro ---- Read 75 Mb/s Write 45 Mb/s
in Tab S7 ---- Read 20Mb/s Write 13Mb/s
Yes, I did. You are comparing three DIFFERENT devices with three DIFFERENT bus architectures. Comparing your Windows notebook, Poco X2 Pro and Tab S7 is not an apple to apple to apple comparison. It is an apple to banana to orange comparison.

I got the same read/write speeds you did on my Tab S7. If I were to clock it on my Surface Pro 6 or Dell desktop, I would probably get similar speeds as you did on your Windows notebook. The bus speed of the Tab S7 is the culprit and getting a faster card will give you a negligible increase.

aoesp3

Aug 4, 2013
Yes, I did. You are comparing three DIFFERENT devices with three DIFFERENT bus architectures. Comparing your Windows notebook, Poco X2 Pro and Tab S7 is not an apple to apple to apple comparison. It is an apple to banana to orange comparison.

I got the same read/write speeds you did on my Tab S7. If I were to clock it on my Surface Pro 6 or Dell desktop, I would probably get similar speeds as you did on your Windows notebook. The bus speed of the Tab S7 is the culprit and getting a faster card will give you a negligible increase.
Yep different devices but Poco's(Xxiaomi) medicore device three times faster than Samsung's high level device. Is this normal?🙂

i just discovered if i eject micro sd card from tab s7 and than plug again. Than I tested micro sd card. Speed similar to Poco X3 pro. But some time later (about hours) micro sd card speed slowing down.

Yep different devices but Poco's(Xxiaomi) medicore device three times faster than Samsung's high level device. Is this normal?🙂

i just discovered if i eject micro sd card from tab s7 and than plug again. Than I tested micro sd card. Speed similar to Poco X3 pro. But some time later (about hours) micro sd card speed slowing down.
Yeah. That is weird. I could be the OS deprioritizing the microSD reader to save battery. But that is just a guess. As far as the differences between the Poco S2 and the Tab S7, one is a phone the other a tablet; both have different use case scenarios which drives the different design philosophies, which drives the actual design and component selection.