• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

microG + Android Auto fully working

Search This thread

oceanBT

Sep 29, 2021
This is how you can use Android Auto with microG and connect your phone with your car.

Prerequisites:
Android 10+
Newest microG core (https://github.com/microg/GmsCore/releases)
A custom recovery to flash a zip file

Let's begin:

For Android Auto we'll use nikgapps Android Auto add-on and modify one file in the flashable zip.
Download nikgapps Android Auto add-on here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/nikgapps/files/Releases/
Dpending on your Android version, choose the correct Addons-(Q/R) folder, then, you want to download "NikGapps-Addon-10/11-AndroidAuto-date-signed.zip"

Now open the downloaded package and open the folder "common". In there you'll find "nikgapps_functions.sh". This file needs to be modified as follows:

Open this file and search for "is_on_top_of_nikgapps"

Remove the following (this code checks if you have installed nikgapps core already, but since we don't want to install that, it must be removed):
Code:
is_on_top_of_nikgapps() {
  nikgapps_present=false
  # shellcheck disable=SC2143
  if [ "$(grep 'allow-in-power-save package=\"com.mgoogle.android.gms\"' "$system"/etc/sysconfig/*.xml)" ] ||
        [ "$(grep 'allow-in-power-save package=\"com.mgoogle.android.gms\"' "$system"/product/etc/sysconfig/*.xml)" ]; then
    nikgapps_present=true
  fi
  addToLog "- Is on top of NikGapps: $nikgapps_present"
  if [ "$nikgapps_present" != "true" ]; then
    abort "This Addon can only be flashed on top of NikGapps"
  fi
}

It should look something like this now:

Code:
    else
      addToLog "- Failed to write $install_location"
      abort "Installation Failed! Looks like Storage space is full!"
    fi
  fi
}

# Check if the partition is mounted

That's it! Now you can flash this zip with your recovery and you'll have fully working Android Auto!https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/microg-android-auto-fully-working.4319159/#post-85474691
Thanks @hellcat50 ! it works as descriped on my Xiaomi Mi MIX 2 (chiron) with micro-g (lineage based) 18.1 rom (also lineage based recovery)! I installed google-search, maps and tts via aurora store.

I don't see AA in App-Drawer (what is a feature IMHO), but can reach settings over: Settings - App - AA - advanced - "addition settings in the app".

When you missing some apps (in my case spotify) on car display you have to enable developer settings in AA (click multiple times on version in AA settings) and enable "unknown sources" there. reconnect to car. All apps should appear :)

@hellcat50 how to update AA? can i use update via aurora store or should i update via nikgapps zip as i installed first time?

Reactions: the_Pan

hellcat50

Thanks @hellcat50 ! it works as descriped on my Xiaomi Mi MIX 2 (chiron) with micro-g (lineage based) 18.1 rom (also lineage based recovery)! I installed google-search, maps and tts via aurora store.

I don't see AA in App-Drawer (what is a feature IMHO), but can reach settings over: Settings - App - AA - advanced - "addition settings in the app".

When you missing some apps (in my case spotify) on car display you have to enable developer settings in AA (click multiple times on version in AA settings) and enable "unknown sources" there. reconnect to car. All apps should appear :)

@hellcat50 how to update AA? can i use update via aurora store or should i update via nikgapps zip as i installed first time?
you can update android auto through aurora store no problem.

Reactions: oceanBT

dixonbgd

Oct 24, 2021
Hi, I have huawei p40 pro... Can anyone help with more detailed instructions how to get AA working?

Thetimelost

Apr 3, 2017
It works for me !! Many thanks ! It is one of the last thing that block me to "completly" remove Google from my phone.

Dec 5, 2021
This is how you can use Android Auto with microG and connect your phone with your car.

Prerequisites:
Android 10+

Let's begin:

For Android Auto we'll use nikgapps Android Auto add-on and modify one file in the flashable zip.
Download nikgapps Android Auto add-on here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/nikgapps/files/Releases/
Dpending on your Android version, choose the correct Addons-(Q/R) folder, then, you want to download "NikGapps-Addon-10/11-AndroidAuto-date-signed.zip"

Now open the downloaded package and open the folder "common". In there you'll find "nikgapps_functions.sh". This file needs to be modified as follows:

Remove the following (this code checks if you have installed nikgapps core already, but since we don't want to install that, it must be removed):
Code:
  nikgapps_present=false
  if [ "$(grep 'allow-in-power-save package=\"com.mgoogle.android.gms\"' "$system"/etc/sysconfig/*.xml)" ] ||
        [ "$(grep 'allow-in-power-save package=\"com.mgoogle.android.gms\"' "$system"/product/etc/sysconfig/*.xml)" ]; then
    nikgapps_present=true
  fi
  fi
}

Code:
    else
    fi
  fi
}

That's it! Now you can flash this zip with your recovery and you'll have fully working Android Auto!
This worked great for me, thanks!

I flashed LineageOS for microG (LineageOS with signature spoofing + microG) https://lineage.microg.org/
Nikgapps Android Auto add-on
Then from device, regular Aurora Store install of G Maps, G Speech service, and G search.
On second thought, those may as well be flashed taking them from Nikgapps.

In the code above, it's sufficient to set true in the first assignment

Code:
  nikgapps_present=true

I think the trick there is the AA add-on. I could not for the life of me get AA to work when installed from Aurora Store on a Resurrection Remix + microG. I would always get "No apps work with this usb accessory". Now it just works.

Thank you!

PanosT

Jul 20, 2020
Hey. Yeah, sorry i forgot to mention, I built that aa version for android 11.

You can build your own version with the latest by following the guide here: https://github.com/nikgapps/config

This will build a custom suite of NikGApps. Essentially, in the configuration, I set everything to false and just included android auto.

The flashing should be fine. If I were you, I'd try remove any version of android auto from the phone (if an icon exists). Try and build your own NikGApps package for whatever android version you are using. And try re-flash that.
You shouldn't need to download android auto from any store, if the app icon doesn't appear, it seems its not working on your rom.

As a last resort (depending on how much you want it), I'd try re-flash your original rom (formatting your phone) and immediately after, flash the AA zip before booting into android.

If it works correctly, you should see an AA app icon, when entering, it will tell you you have to download gMaps and a few others apps. Download them from the store then limit their access. You may also have to enable unknown sources for apps in the AA settings. Once connected to your car it should work fine (at least it did for me).

Again, my setup is for Pixel 5, Lineage OS 18.1 android 11
I now run Fork Lineage 18.1 A11 on my Redmi 3s.
I build my version of nikgapps with only aa and flashed it,
but still no icon on app drawer, just on settings,apps i can enter the aa settings...
What am i doing wrong?

Dec 5, 2021
I now run Fork Lineage 18.1 A11 on my Redmi 3s.
I build my version of nikgapps with only aa and flashed it,
but still no icon on app drawer, just on settings,apps i can enter the aa settings...
What am i doing wrong?
AA auto doesn't show up in drawer for me either, yet it's installed as system app. And AA works when connecting to radio.

Reactions: PanosT

PanosT

Jul 20, 2020
AA auto doesn't show up in drawer for me either, yet it's installed as system app. And AA works when connecting to radio.
yes, its worknig!
any idea how to make sygic show up on 3rd party apps? i have installed a cracked version through the guide below but its not showing up on the list...

Also I'm trying this to work...
Anyone can help?
I must make these apps appear on 3rd party apps somehow, but no matter what i try they don't work...
Is it because of microg?

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021
yes, its worknig!
any idea how to make sygic show up on 3rd party apps? i have installed a cracked version through the guide below but its not showing up on the list...

Also I'm trying this to work...
Anyone can help?
I must make these apps appear on 3rd party apps somehow, but no matter what i try they don't work...
Is it because of microg?
No I don't think microG has to do with 3rd parties apps not showing up on AA.
Have you tried AA store? It looks promising. I haven't tried myself because unfortunately my car has been at the workshop for a week or so now.

PanosT

Jul 20, 2020
No I don't think microG has to do with 3rd parties apps not showing up on AA.
Have you tried AA store? It looks promising. I haven't tried myself because unfortunately my car has been at the workshop for a week or so now.
I didnt know aa store... tried it and yes! it works (except fermata auto latest ver. 1.8.10, wich doesnt work even installing through adb , and through aa store older version).
But, when i enter the apps (car youtube, s2a etc.), nothing shows... just a black window with the app icon at top left and a message "no new messages on this route" or something like that...
Am i missing something?

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021
I didnt know aa store... tried it and yes! it works (except fermata auto latest ver. 1.8.10, wich doesnt work even installing through adb , and through aa store older version).
But, when i enter the apps (car youtube, s2a etc.), nothing shows... just a black window with the app icon at top left and a message "no new messages on this route" or something like that...
Am i missing something?
I have emailed the developer (open any AA Store app on the phone, not via radio in car, e tap on "Get support") and this is the automatic reply I got:
READ CAREFULLY. IF YOUR PROBLEM FALLS IN ONE OF THESE CASES, YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE ANSWER.

IF IT DO NOT ENTER YOU WILL RECEIVE ANSWER WITHIN 96 HOURS. DON'T SEND MORE THEN ONE EMAIL PER THE SAME APP

Q: Apps in the car no longer come out
A: You need to downgrade to Android Auto 6.6.6125. https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-auto/android-auto-6-6-6125-release/ if they don't appear then downgrade it to 6.3.6113
Q: How do I do it?
A: Search on the internet

Q: I've Android Auto 6.3 and apps didn't appear
A: Read previous question then update apps from aastore

Q: The apps don't come out in the car
A: If you have an OPPO or a REALME or a HUAWEI without playservice it is normal because those phones block apps developed by third parties

There are other Q&A but only the first 3 are relevant.
Check your AA version and see if you need to downgrade.
I don't have my car yet, so I can't try, but given that I have AA 6.6.612534-release I will probably need to downgrade myself

PanosT

Jul 20, 2020
I have emailed the developer (open any AA Store app on the phone, not via radio in car, e tap on "Get support") and this is the automatic reply I got:

There are other Q&A but only the first 3 are relevant.
Check your AA version and see if you need to downgrade.
I don't have my car yet, so I can't try, but given that I have AA 6.6.612534-release I will probably need to downgrade myself
i also have aa v.6.6.612534, thing is, apps do appear on aa but when i tap them in car mm, a black window opens with the app icon at top left and a message "no new messages on this route". there are no options, nothing, like they dont work...
i have flos 18.1 A11 and kia ceed 2019

Dec 5, 2021

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Prerequisites:
    Android 10+

Let's begin:

Code:
      nikgapps_present=false
        nikgapps_present=true
      fi
      fi
    }

Code:
        else
        fi
      fi
    }

That's it! Now you can flash this zip with your recovery and you'll have fully working Android Auto!

hellcat50

I have attempted your tutorial using lineageOS 18.1 + microg rom one a oneplus 8 pro and have some issues.

If I follow you instructions exactly, I can sometimes get android auto to connect to my car after I manually install android auto from the aurora store. It gets stuck, however, at my car's screen saying something like - please follow the instructions on your phone to complete the android auto setup. Android auto app does show car connected, and car shows android auto icon, but only the message to complete setup on my phone.

So, I am guessing that I should not have to actually install android auto, and it should have been installed via the NikGapps file..... However after making the changes to the NikiGapps-android-auto.....zip file and flashing, I get errors (probably why android auto didn't actually install).

Error is:

Error in /sideload/package.zip (status 1)

It also says something about no space left of device as the script rolls ....

Can you give a little more detail in your instructions, and perhaps note if you are using android 11 or android 10.

Keep in mind that I am flashing this zip using lineageos recovery, as twrp is not yet available for the oneplus pro 8 that works with android 11.

Glad you were able to get this working. I have everything working perfectly other than Android Auto... (I did make sure to install google maps, speach services, and search as I know they are required by AA.

Hoping to get this working. Thanks.
    it could actually be that your system partition is full, that's why you got the error message. but if that isn't the issue and android auto is installed as a system app after reboot, it should work flawlessly. you only need to install google maps, the google app and google speech services manually. if you still getting problems, try and choose file transfer as the usb connection option (if you connect your phone with cable). and make sure android auto has all the permissions (especially microphone since it refuses to launch without it)

btw i flashed the zip with lineageos recovery too, it isn't a problem
    First I tried to modify the zip file but upon flasing i got an error also, somthing like "not a valid zip"...
    Then I flashed the original nickgapps aa extra zip succesfully with pbrp but got no aa icon in the app drawer, then i flashed your zip but still same problem, no icon.
    then i installed android auto for phone screens, mentioned above.
    i got aa on phone but upon connection with car a get a message on phone "No installed apps work with this usb accessory".

a) is your zip file for aa for android 10 or it doesnt matter?
    b) did i totally mest up my flos 17.1 + microg installation after all this flashing?
    c) can i repear any damage?
    d) is there a way to make it work in the car?

Thanx, i reposted to you hoping for an answer, because you seem to know what your doing...!
    Hey. Yeah, sorry i forgot to mention, I built that aa version for android 11.

You can build your own version with the latest by following the guide here: https://github.com/nikgapps/config

This will build a custom suite of NikGApps. Essentially, in the configuration, I set everything to false and just included android auto.

The flashing should be fine. If I were you, I'd try remove any version of android auto from the phone (if an icon exists). Try and build your own NikGApps package for whatever android version you are using. And try re-flash that.
    You shouldn't need to download android auto from any store, if the app icon doesn't appear, it seems its not working on your rom.

As a last resort (depending on how much you want it), I'd try re-flash your original rom (formatting your phone) and immediately after, flash the AA zip before booting into android.

If it works correctly, you should see an AA app icon, when entering, it will tell you you have to download gMaps and a few others apps. Download them from the store then limit their access. You may also have to enable unknown sources for apps in the AA settings. Once connected to your car it should work fine (at least it did for me).

Again, my setup is for Pixel 5, Lineage OS 18.1 android 11

Prerequisites:
    Android 10+

Let's begin:

Code:
      nikgapps_present=false
        nikgapps_present=true
      fi
      fi
    }

Code:
        else
        fi
      fi
    }

That's it! Now you can flash this zip with your recovery and you'll have fully working Android Auto!https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/microg-android-auto-fully-working.4319159/#post-85474691

you can update android auto through aurora store no problem.