Feb 12, 2022
Device info:
Samsung Note 8 exynos
Running Lineage OS 19 with no Gapps

Flashed:
NikGapps-Addon-12-AndroidAuto-20220127-signed.zip
NikGapps-Addon-12-GoogleMaps-20220127-signed.zip
NikGapps-Addon-12-GoogleTTS-20220127-signed.zip

Hey, was wondering if you could help me out?
I've followed the steps in the first post, got the latest micro g, flashed the changed Android Auto zip, TTS & Maps from nikgapps and installed the google app from Aurora.

When connecting to my car i can run through the Android Auto setup but i get stuck at the google maps location permission page. It's asking me to allow google maps to use location (which i have, and tested it out on google maps) but no matter what i do, Android Auto thinks that i have not let google maps use location services. I've changed the permissions to Always, only on app, and then off and on again, still no luck.

I have also updated google maps, android auto, and tts to the latest versions from Aurora to see if that would change work, but it didn't/.

Is there something else i need to flash? Some MicroG config changes ( all i did was install it)?

Any help on this would be amazing! Really Android Auto is the last thing i would love to get working to have my daily driver de-googled.

Thanks

Reactions: sosimple

hagekic548

Jul 23, 2020
@undefinederror okey so I tried 20210124 = 5.9.604634 & 20210612 = 6.2.610914 on a fresh clean flash on an older phone I had lying around, a Xiaomi Note 5, also no success. really strange.

What phone running which ROM connecting to which car do you have?

The only thing I was able to get working on my phones running lineage-18.1 = Android 11 to work with my Subaru Impreza was 20220127 = 7.0.614134, but via that only the google approved apps.

@davDatsun240z
> Some MicroG config changes ( all i did was install it)
I have no experience with Android 12, but on my devices running Android 11 setting up MicroG was hard enough that I just gave up doing it manually and instead switched to https://lineage.microg.org/ which comes with MicroG out of the box.

Dec 5, 2021
@undefinederror okey so I tried 20210124 = 5.9.604634 & 20210612 = 6.2.610914 on a fresh clean flash on an older phone I had lying around, a Xiaomi Note 5, also no success. really strange.

What phone running which ROM connecting to which car do you have?

The only thing I was able to get working on my phones running lineage-18.1 = Android 11 to work with my Subaru Impreza was 20220127 = 7.0.614134, but via that only the google approved apps.

@davDatsun240z
> Some MicroG config changes ( all i did was install it)
I have no experience with Android 12, but on my devices running Android 11 setting up MicroG was hard enough that I just gave up doing it manually and instead switched to https://lineage.microg.org/ which comes with MicroG out of the box.
@hagekic548
Redmi Note 5

lineage_whyred-userdebug 11
RQ3A 211001 001 eng.root.20211109.015110
dev-keys

Car doesn't matter as mine is an aftermarket radio, an ATOTO F7 PE

Really(!!) strange it does not work for you as we pretty much have the same setup on the phone.

@davDatsun240z
I never got past that screen myself, asking for Maps permissions (both when I was on Resurrection Remix, and now on Lineage + MicroG). I just hit cancel. Then disconnected the cable and reconnected and AA just popped up. After that It never asked for permissions again.
As for MicroG setup, you should refer to MicroG github page https://github.com/microg/GmsCore/wiki/Installation
Last time I did manual installation was years ago, so very fuzzy memories about it. I remember going through the instructions and one by one getting the green flags on the "self check" page

dieSuse

Apr 14, 2022
This is how you can use Android Auto with microG and connect your phone with your car.

Prerequisites:
Android 10+
Newest microG core (https://github.com/microg/GmsCore/releases)
A custom recovery to flash a zip file

Let's begin:

For Android Auto we'll use nikgapps Android Auto add-on and modify one file in the flashable zip.
Download nikgapps Android Auto add-on here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/nikgapps/files/Releases/
Dpending on your Android version, choose the correct Addons-(Q/R) folder, then, you want to download "NikGapps-Addon-10/11-AndroidAuto-date-signed.zip"

Now open the downloaded package and open the folder "common". In there you'll find "nikgapps_functions.sh". This file needs to be modified as follows:

Open this file and search for "is_on_top_of_nikgapps"

Remove the following (this code checks if you have installed nikgapps core already, but since we don't want to install that, it must be removed):
Code:
is_on_top_of_nikgapps() {
  nikgapps_present=false
  # shellcheck disable=SC2143
  if [ "$(grep 'allow-in-power-save package=\"com.mgoogle.android.gms\"' "$system"/etc/sysconfig/*.xml)" ] ||
        [ "$(grep 'allow-in-power-save package=\"com.mgoogle.android.gms\"' "$system"/product/etc/sysconfig/*.xml)" ]; then
    nikgapps_present=true
  fi
  addToLog "- Is on top of NikGapps: $nikgapps_present"
  if [ "$nikgapps_present" != "true" ]; then
    abort "This Addon can only be flashed on top of NikGapps"
  fi
}

It should look something like this now:

Code:
    else
      addToLog "- Failed to write $install_location"
      abort "Installation Failed! Looks like Storage space is full!"
    fi
  fi
}

# Check if the partition is mounted

That's it! Now you can flash this zip with your recovery and you'll have fully working Android Auto!

Hi all,

I was so happy to find this solution for Android Auto on LinagueOS, because it was the only thing missing on my ent-googled phone. But as always, it didn't work on first trial.

I downloaded NikGapps-Addon-11-AndroidAuto-20220413-signed, followed the description and during flashing zip via adb sideload, I was asked if I want to flash a not signed package where I chose YES. After that the package seems to be uploaded, but then the following error came up: "Failed to find binary META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary". But update-binary is existing in this directory, as well as a file updater-script.

Has anybody an idea, what is the reason for that and how it can be resolved?

Using LineagueOS with MicroG 18.1-20220403 and Android Auto 7.3.620524-release downloaded via Aurora Store.

Thanks in advance,
Suse

oceanBT

Sep 29, 2021
Hi,

i installed today nikgapps AA on a microg-lineage on a galaxy s10e via lineage-recovery (adb sideload) as described in #1. After that I had some big red error messages (communication error 8) in Android Auto. I had to update AA to the latest version via the Aurora store. Then Google Maps no longer had a location. I had to set up Mozilla Location Service ("Install Mozilla Stumbler") in micro-g settings.

Now it works as expected! Thanks again!

MatteoV

May 2, 2022
Dear all, I followed the procedure but I'm not getting AA working. I own a Fairphone4 with e.os 0.23, honestly I found a problem flashing NikGapps-Addon-11-AndroidAuto-20220421-signed, if I try to modify the file "nikgapps_functions.sh" as per the suggestion in the first message, then I'm not able to sideload the zip I create, since with the following message: "failed to find update binary META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary"

Can you help me solving this issue? If I flash with the original NikGapp I don't get AA on my phone. Thanks, Matteo.

Speedmatze

Apr 25, 2009
Dear all, I followed the procedure but I'm not getting AA working. I own a Fairphone4 with e.os 0.23, honestly I found a problem flashing NikGapps-Addon-11-AndroidAuto-20220421-signed, if I try to modify the file "nikgapps_functions.sh" as per the suggestion in the first message, then I'm not able to sideload the zip I create, since with the following message: "failed to find update binary META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary"

Can you help me solving this issue? If I flash with the original NikGapp I don't get AA on my phone. Thanks, Matteo.
I had trouble with the newer verions as well.
Maybe try an older version from last year (e.g. 20210612; version 6.2). You can update it later to the newest version with Aurora store (if you want to).
Version 6.3 and older has the advantage of being able to run more 3rd party apps (like screen2auto, etc). All newer versions block those and the workarounds don't work with microG.
However, older versions tend to produce "error 8" messages. So you might need to update to prevent those.

hagekic548

Jul 23, 2020
I think having installed Android Auto on my Xiaomi Note 9S as described here now prevents me from updating my ROM from "lineage-18.1-20220220-microG-miatoll" to "lineage-18.1-20220405-microG-miatoll".

The recovery prints those errors in the log while trying to install:
Executing backup in NikGapps addon
- Backing up AndroidAuto
assert failed: update_dynamic_partitions(package_extract_file("dynamic_partitions_op_list"))
Updater process ended with ERROR: 1
Error installing zip file '@cache/recovery/block.map
Done processing script file
MTP Enabled
Failed to mount '/system_root' (No such file or directory)

Has anybody else tried updating their ROM after using this method to install AndroidAuto?

lifesaver38

Jan 1, 2019
Grenoble
I had trouble with the newer verions as well.
Maybe try an older version from last year (e.g. 20210612; version 6.2). You can update it later to the newest version with Aurora store (if you want to).
Version 6.3 and older has the advantage of being able to run more 3rd party apps (like screen2auto, etc). All newer versions block those and the workarounds don't work with microG.
However, older versions tend to produce "error 8" messages. So you might need to update to prevent those.
I tried 20210612 version. I've got an installation error :
- Unmounting /product
Updater process ended with ERROR: 1
Error installing zip file '/external_sd/NikGapps-Addon-11-AndroidAuto-signed.zip'

Same error until 15 aug 2021. After, installation works, but android auto fails in may car...
Allways no solution for usin AA with microG ;(

Last edited:

lifesaver38

Jan 1, 2019
Grenoble
Yeah
I just created a Magisk Module that provides Android Auto for devices running microG on Android 11. I've made this mainly for myself, but wanted to share:

Basically just install aa4mg-v0.1.zip as Magisk Module, reboot, optionally upgrade in Aurora Store, profit.

But please see readme on github: https://github.com/sn-00-x/aa4mg
Yeah man !!! You gave me the solution I was looking for so much !!! Thanks a lot !!!

Pommes9485

May 7, 2011

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just created a Magisk Module that provides Android Auto for devices running microG on Android 11. I've made this mainly for myself, but wanted to share:

Basically just install aa4mg-v0.1.zip as Magisk Module, reboot, optionally upgrade in Aurora Store, profit.

But please see readme on github: https://github.com/sn-00-x/aa4mg
    This is how you can use Android Auto with microG and connect your phone with your car.

Prerequisites:
    Android 10+
    Newest microG core (https://github.com/microg/GmsCore/releases)
    A custom recovery to flash a zip file

Let's begin:

For Android Auto we'll use nikgapps Android Auto add-on and modify one file in the flashable zip.
    Download nikgapps Android Auto add-on here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/nikgapps/files/Releases/
    Dpending on your Android version, choose the correct Addons-(Q/R) folder, then, you want to download "NikGapps-Addon-10/11-AndroidAuto-date-signed.zip"

Now open the downloaded package and open the folder "common". In there you'll find "nikgapps_functions.sh". This file needs to be modified as follows:

Open this file and search for "is_on_top_of_nikgapps"

Remove the following (this code checks if you have installed nikgapps core already, but since we don't want to install that, it must be removed):
    Code:
    is_on_top_of_nikgapps() {
      nikgapps_present=false
      # shellcheck disable=SC2143
      if [ "$(grep 'allow-in-power-save package=\"com.mgoogle.android.gms\"' "$system"/etc/sysconfig/*.xml)" ] ||
            [ "$(grep 'allow-in-power-save package=\"com.mgoogle.android.gms\"' "$system"/product/etc/sysconfig/*.xml)" ]; then
        nikgapps_present=true
      fi
      addToLog "- Is on top of NikGapps: $nikgapps_present"
      if [ "$nikgapps_present" != "true" ]; then
        abort "This Addon can only be flashed on top of NikGapps"
      fi
    }

It should look something like this now:

Code:
        else
          addToLog "- Failed to write $install_location"
          abort "Installation Failed! Looks like Storage space is full!"
        fi
      fi
    }

# Check if the partition is mounted

That's it! Now you can flash this zip with your recovery and you'll have fully working Android Auto!
    That looks good. Do you know, whether it works with android 12 as well?
    Unfortunately I'm pretty sure it doesn't work under A12. I'm going to add A12 support as soon as I get an A12 device though.
    Hi,

i installed today nikgapps AA on a microg-lineage on a galaxy s10e via lineage-recovery (adb sideload) as described in #1. After that I had some big red error messages (communication error 8) in Android Auto. I had to update AA to the latest version via the Aurora store. Then Google Maps no longer had a location. I had to set up Mozilla Location Service ("Install Mozilla Stumbler") in micro-g settings.

Now it works as expected! Thanks again!

hellcat50

I have attempted your tutorial using lineageOS 18.1 + microg rom one a oneplus 8 pro and have some issues.

If I follow you instructions exactly, I can sometimes get android auto to connect to my car after I manually install android auto from the aurora store. It gets stuck, however, at my car's screen saying something like - please follow the instructions on your phone to complete the android auto setup. Android auto app does show car connected, and car shows android auto icon, but only the message to complete setup on my phone.

So, I am guessing that I should not have to actually install android auto, and it should have been installed via the NikGapps file..... However after making the changes to the NikiGapps-android-auto.....zip file and flashing, I get errors (probably why android auto didn't actually install).

Error is:

Error in /sideload/package.zip (status 1)

It also says something about no space left of device as the script rolls ....

Can you give a little more detail in your instructions, and perhaps note if you are using android 11 or android 10.

Keep in mind that I am flashing this zip using lineageos recovery, as twrp is not yet available for the oneplus pro 8 that works with android 11.

Glad you were able to get this working. I have everything working perfectly other than Android Auto... (I did make sure to install google maps, speach services, and search as I know they are required by AA.

Hoping to get this working. Thanks.
    it could actually be that your system partition is full, that's why you got the error message. but if that isn't the issue and android auto is installed as a system app after reboot, it should work flawlessly. you only need to install google maps, the google app and google speech services manually. if you still getting problems, try and choose file transfer as the usb connection option (if you connect your phone with cable). and make sure android auto has all the permissions (especially microphone since it refuses to launch without it)

btw i flashed the zip with lineageos recovery too, it isn't a problem