• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

MicroG compatible Oreo ROMs for Mido

Search This thread

DarthJabba9

May 5, 2014
Greater London
Apparently, Google have started blocking GAPPs on uncertified devices (you won't be able to login to your Google account from the devices) - see https://www.xda-developers.com/google-blocks-gapps-uncertified-devices-custom-rom-whitelist/

Users of custom ROMs can apply to have their device ID whitelisted (up to a limit of 100 times). For those who do a lot of flashing of custom ROMs and wiping data, that 100 limit can be reached very quickly. I wonder whether the time is approaching to dump GAPPs in favour of microG.

My question is - which Oreo ROMs for Mido currently support microG? Perhaps we could start to compile a list here for the day when the possibly inevitable need to dump GAPPs arises?

zenjedi

Apr 20, 2013
Jedi Starfighter
Thanks for creating this thread! You beat me to it :laugh:

Based on my tests, the following roms have inbuilt support for Microg (thanks to devs who added support on request)

1. Cardinal
  2. Atomic
  3. Omni
  4. Bootleggers
  5. DU by saket (thanks for adding microg)
  6. Lineage 15 by Alexey711 (thanks for adding microg)
  7. Screwed AOSP
  8. CrDroid
  9. Validus
  10. Nitrogen
  11. Project Xtended

MyNameIsRage

Dec 24, 2017
Hell

Based on my tests, the following roms have inbuilt support for Microg (thanks to devs who added support on request)

1. Cardinal
  2. Atomic
  3. Omni
  4. Bootleggers
  7. Screwed AOSP
  8. CrDroid
  9. Validus
  10. Nitrogen
  11. Project Xtended

Firehound also does.

Reactions: DarthJabba9

DarthJabba9

May 5, 2014
Greater London
Wow! Thanks guys! Please keep the list coming!

Some questions:
1. When I first started reading up on microG, it seemed that installing it could be a very convoluted affair. But it seems that matters may have now been simplified greatly by contributors. Is this now simply a case of installing NanoDroid and everything is okay (i.e., goodbye GAPPs forever)?

2. Just for the avoidance of doubt (and errors) does this require a fresh (and clean) installation of the supported ROMs?

3. Is microG compatible with Treble ROMs?

4. Is SuperSU and/or Magisk supported?

krasCGQ

Recognized Contributor
Apr 13, 2015
Kendari
kud.my.id
Xiaomi Mi 9 SE

Some questions:
1. When I first started reading up on microG, it seemed that installing it could be a very convoluted affair. But it seems that matters may have now been simplified greatly by contributors. Is this now simply a case of installing NanoDroid and everything is okay (i.e., goodbye GAPPs forever)?

2. Just for the avoidance of doubt (and errors) does this require a fresh (and clean) installation of the supported ROMs?

1. You still need to configure and check if all things required by microG is properly configured.
2. Absolutely.
3. I see no compatibility regressions.
4. It doesn't require root to work.

For ROM that doesn't support signature spoofing and it's deodexed, you can use NanoDroid Patcher to patch system frameworks in order to support signature spoofing.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using XDA Labs

zenjedi

Apr 20, 2013
Jedi Starfighter

Some questions:
1. When I first started reading up on microG, it seemed that installing it could be a very convoluted affair. But it seems that matters may have now been simplified greatly by contributors. Is this now simply a case of installing and everything is okay (i.e., goodbye GAPPs forever)?

1. Few things to consider - access to playstore (esp. paid apps), location apis along with contacts & calendar sync. If you need these, then it can't be goodbye google forever. Plus some of these elements require a couple of more steps during installation.

Nanodroid gives the option to install it all in one go - gync, location backends, maps v1, etc. Contact and calendar sync can be solved by hosting all these in a private server, e.g., nextcloud. I was using davdroid sync for accessing my contacts associated with my gmail id without having to install gsync.

2. There are options that can remove gapps from existing installation. However, I have not explored it as of now. I'd recommend fresh installation.

3. Not tried, but it should be. Technically, you are removing google play services and the apps associated with it.

4. Yes, works with both. There is no dependency as such.

Edit: Technically, nanodroid is used to patch roms that don't have signature spoofing. None of the oreo roms are deoxed so its essentially useless for ones that don't have inbuilt signature spoofing. However, for ones that have, it makes it easier to install microg and playstore as system apps. Location backends are supposed to work better that way.

I found this to be a very useful resource during my research - https://shadow53.com/android/no-gapps/setup-guide/

Last edited:

MyNameIsRage

Dec 24, 2017
Hell
@zenjedi @krasCGQ @DarthJabba9 Isn't it going to be possible that the devs reverse engineer the app and remove the check. Devs at open gapps already worked their magic in making the actual pixel gapps work for all other oreo roms. So isn't it possible that we just reverse engineer and patch it?

DarthJabba9

May 5, 2014
Greater London
Isn't it going to be possible that the devs reverse engineer the app and remove the check. Devs at open gapps already worked their magic in making the actual pixel gapps work for all other oreo roms. So isn't it possible that we just reverse engineer and patch it?
I don't know. It might well be possible, but it might well depend on how Google is intending to enforce this (i.e., whether there is any check on the server side).

Not Available

Mar 19, 2018
so when we reach 100th in one device let say we can't login our google account, my questions are :

1. does our account completely blocked or the device which is completely blocked ?
2. can we create a new google account to login ? or the device is completely blocked with any account ?

this is scary as hell ?

DarthJabba9

May 5, 2014
Greater London
so when we reach 100th in one device let say we can't login our google account, my questions are :
1. does our account completely blocked or the device which is completely blocked ?
2. can we create a new google account to login ? or the device is completely blocked with any account ?
1. I don't think that the account will be blocked, because you should still be able to sign in with any certified device - but who knows?
2. It may be possible to create a new account to login with the device (and you start counting up to 100). But if you can't login to your existing account from the device, what would creating a new account achieve? All is your stuff is on the account that you can't login to!

It is indeed quite worrying.

Reactions: Not Available

Not Available

Mar 19, 2018
1. I don't think that the account will be blocked, because you should still be able to sign in with any certified device - but who knows?
2. It may be possible to create a new account to login with the device (and you start counting up to 100). But if you can't login to your existing account from the device, what would creating a new account achieve? All is your stuff is on the account that you can't login to!

It is indeed quite worrying.

damn, so i need to find "Flash and Forget" ROM type. I can't test ROM for days then change anymore ?

DarthJabba9

May 5, 2014
Greater London
Update #1

The article that reports this new Google initiative has been updated thus: "Update 3/27/18 at 08:51AM CST: Were you, like everyone else, having trouble registering your Android ID on the uncertified device registration page? You’re not alone. Apparently, it’s not looking for the “Android ID” despite what it says. Instead, it accepts your IMEI. Thanks XDA Member DirkGently for the tip!"

Reactions: prashant2198

prashant2198

Aug 2, 2017
The article that reports this new Google initiative has been updated thus: "Update 3/27/18 at 08:51AM CST: Were you, like everyone else, having trouble registering your Android ID on the uncertified device registration page? You’re not alone. Apparently, it’s not looking for the “Android ID” despite what it says. Instead, it accepts your IMEI. Thanks XDA Member DirkGently for the tip!"

Thanks Brother ! It worked perfectly fine. I entered my IMEI and this time it registered( I have blackened it out here ).My IMEI was added below and it looks like that space below is for 99 more IMEIs that one can add.

DarthJabba9

May 5, 2014
Greater London

prashant2198

Aug 2, 2017

Where is the confusion? You can enter either your IMEI or your Google Service Framework no. or your Android Id, one or the other will surely work in most cases. It worked for me. The problem only arises that devices with firmware build after 16th March,2018 will have to be manually registered else things won't work. So now a new step is to be added for flashing a custom Rom that first your device must be whitelisted. In worst case scenarios if the registration fails then we will have to use the microG package. That's what this thread is for, right? Also Google is targeting these harshness to the mobile manufacturers to maintain the consistency between the Android devices and not to Custom Rom users. They get a easy way out. Things are still under implementation and sooner or later there will be a way out.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. Cardinal
    2. Atomic
    3. Omni
    4. Bootleggers
    7. Screwed AOSP
    8. CrDroid
    9. Validus
    10. Nitrogen
    11. Project Xtended
    Apparently, Google have started blocking GAPPs on uncertified devices (you won't be able to login to your Google account from the devices) - see https://www.xda-developers.com/google-blocks-gapps-uncertified-devices-custom-rom-whitelist/

Users of custom ROMs can apply to have their device ID whitelisted (up to a limit of 100 times). For those who do a lot of flashing of custom ROMs and wiping data, that 100 limit can be reached very quickly. I wonder whether the time is approaching to dump GAPPs in favour of microG.

My question is - which Oreo ROMs for Mido currently support microG? Perhaps we could start to compile a list here for the day when the possibly inevitable need to dump GAPPs arises?

1. Cardinal
    2. Atomic
    3. Omni
    4. Bootleggers
    7. Screwed AOSP
    8. CrDroid
    9. Validus
    10. Nitrogen
    11. Project Xtended

Firehound also does.

Some questions:

1. You still need to configure and check if all things required by microG is properly configured.
    2. Absolutely.
    3. I see no compatibility regressions.
    4. It doesn't require root to work.

For ROM that doesn't support signature spoofing and it's deodexed, you can use NanoDroid Patcher to patch system frameworks in order to support signature spoofing.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using XDA Labs

Some questions:
    1. When I first started reading up on microG, it seemed that installing it could be a very convoluted affair. But it seems that matters may have now been simplified greatly by contributors. Is this now simply a case of installing and everything is okay (i.e., goodbye GAPPs forever)?

1. Few things to consider - access to playstore (esp. paid apps), location apis along with contacts & calendar sync. If you need these, then it can't be goodbye google forever. Plus some of these elements require a couple of more steps during installation.

Nanodroid gives the option to install it all in one go - gync, location backends, maps v1, etc. Contact and calendar sync can be solved by hosting all these in a private server, e.g., nextcloud. I was using davdroid sync for accessing my contacts associated with my gmail id without having to install gsync.

2. There are options that can remove gapps from existing installation. However, I have not explored it as of now. I'd recommend fresh installation.

3. Not tried, but it should be. Technically, you are removing google play services and the apps associated with it.

4. Yes, works with both. There is no dependency as such.

Edit: Technically, nanodroid is used to patch roms that don't have signature spoofing. None of the oreo roms are deoxed so its essentially useless for ones that don't have inbuilt signature spoofing. However, for ones that have, it makes it easier to install microg and playstore as system apps. Location backends are supposed to work better that way.

I found this to be a very useful resource during my research - https://shadow53.com/android/no-gapps/setup-guide/