• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Microphone works for recordings, but not calls or CIT

Search This thread

Immortal68

Feb 5, 2013
Koblenz
I'm at my wits end:

I recently tried installing vanced youtube on an unrooted Poco X3 NFC. Afterwards a few permissions were reset, but everything seemed fine, except that somehow during calls no one could hear me anymore. I reversed the whole setup, but the problem persists that no one can hear me during calls.

Recording apps or voice recordings in WhatsApp work fine though. Recordings are clear.

I tried Simple Caller as well, but the same problem persists.

CIT tests of Main Mic show low volume coming in, but never to full volume, even when I blow into the microphone hole.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? I was thinking it might have something to do with the MicroG installation, since MIUI (as always) doesn't play nice with any software hacks.

Enter test menu to double check hardware is not a problem. Just dial * # * # 64663 # * # * and do all mic tests.

If you running Magisk, disable it completely on its settings, so no module/other will change system files systemlessly (on "fake/mirror" system) after a reboot and test again all mics.

Besides that I suggest to flash again the ROM you are using and try it. May be a dirty flash if using some custom ROM....just to be sure actual system on system partition files are not touched.

Another 2 points to consider: have you been playing around with flashing Firmware and/or Kernel? This can be affecting hardware access. If so, then consider to flash again newest available that known to work fine for your very specific variant / Android version.

As a last resort a full flash of newest stock ROM (MIUI v12.5.1+) by fastboot + factory reset afterwards can be interesting to do a final test.

Just to remember: voice recording, whatsapp call (VoiP)....this is not processed as same way as a regular phone call (PSTN), the hardware that deals with the voice processing (after mics; DAC) are different. For instance you can skip (and also test) this when putting a regular call by using a bluetooth phone/mic...the bluetooth device will do the voice process this way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Immortal68

Immortal68

Feb 5, 2013
Koblenz
Enter test menu to double check hardware is not a problem. Just dial * # * # 64663 # * # * and do all mic tests.

If you running Magisk, disable it completely on its settings, so no module/other will change system files systemlessly (on "fake/mirror" system) after a reboot and test again all mics.

Besides that I suggest to flash again the ROM you are using and try it. May be a dirty flash if using some custom ROM....just to be sure actual system on system partition files are not touched.
I did do the CIT tests. Main MIC recognizes some input, but the "speedometer", never passes the third marking (of 10), no matter how loud I am. Same is true for the Top MIC.

The phone is still locked, so I don't have Magisk or anything else installed. I'm on Stock ROM with newest version (MIUI 12.5.2 (RJGEUXM))

I did do the CIT tests. Main MIC recognizes some input, but the "speedometer", never passes the third marking (of 10), no matter how loud I am. Same is true for the Top MIC.

The phone is still locked, so I don't have Magisk or anything else installed. I'm on Stock ROM with newest version (MIUI 12.5.2 (RJGEUXM))

While you replying me I've edited my message. Read it again, please.

And now knowing those additional information I'd suggest you to BACKUP your data and factory reset device. And test again with it clean. Specially if have updated MIUI recently.

You can also test it before and after factory reset with a bluetooth mic. Put regular phone calls using bluetooth.

It would be nice to also try your SIM card on the other SIM slot or better test another SIM card on your mobile (both slots). Or at least test your current SIM card on an old / third-party device.

Immortal68

Feb 5, 2013
Koblenz

And now knowing those additional information I'd suggest you to BACKUP your data and factory reset device. And test again with it clean. Specially if have updated MIUI recently.

You can also test it before and after factory reset with a bluetooth mic. Put regular phone calls using bluetooth.

It would be nice to also try your SIM card on the other SIM slot or better test another SIM card on your mobile (both slots). Or at least test your current SIM card on an old / third-party device.
Thank you for your quick reply. It's quite interesting to know there's a difference between phone calls and voice recordings.
I connected my bluetooth earphones and tried call and recorder again, but it yielded the same result as before - call: the other side couldn't hear me; recording: perfectly fine.

I'm afraid a factory reset might be needed. I'm just trying to get around it and it's baffling to me, that the microhpone works perfectly everywhere else - only not at all during calls.

I tried switching the SIM card from slot 2 to slot 1, but it didn't change anything either. 😕

Thank you for your quick reply. It's quite interesting to know there's a difference between phone calls and voice recordings.
I connected my bluetooth earphones and tried call and recorder again, but it yielded the same result as before - call: the other side couldn't hear me; recording: perfectly fine.

I'm afraid a factory reset might be needed. I'm just trying to get around it and it's baffling to me, that the microhpone works perfectly everywhere else - only not at all during calls.

I tried switching the SIM card from slot 2 to slot 1, but it didn't change anything either. 😕

Your bluetooth not working to call in fact are good news: this suggests more a software problem and not a DAC/hardware problem on mobile mainboard. And this does happen, my girlfriend has a Samsung with this kind of problem and I've also read similar others.

By the way I've read a few weeks ago in a local Poco X3 Facebook group of my country a guy with exactly same problem as you. He started to have the problem after upgrading MIUI v12.0.x to v12.5.1 if I can remember, but preserving data. After he tried everything that I suggested he endup factory reseting and this finally solved his problem. At least in his case seems it was some kind of data getting corrupted/incompatible when updating MIUI.

Immortal68

Feb 5, 2013
Koblenz
Your bluetooth not working to call in fact are good news: this suggests more a software problem and not a DAC/hardware problem on mobile mainboard. And this does happen, my girlfriend has a Samsung with this kind of problem and I've also read similar others.

By the way I've read a few weeks ago in a local Poco X3 Facebook group of my country a guy with exactly same problem as you. He started to have the problem after upgrading MIUI v12.0.x to v12.5.1 if I can remember, but preserving data. After he tried everything that I suggested he endup factory reseting and this finally solved his problem. At least in his case seems it was some kind of data getting corrupted/incompatible when updating MIUI.

That's good to hear. I may have to factory reset it tomorrow then. It's the phone of a friend, which is why I tried to get around it (the whole backing up of stuff, etc.), but it does seem to be the only solution. Thank you for your help. I'll report back if it worked, if I do it.

Reactions: wilsonhlacerda

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

That's good to hear. I may have to factory reset it tomorrow then. It's the phone of a friend, which is why I tried to get around it (the whole backing up of stuff, etc.), but it does seem to be the only solution. Thank you for your help. I'll report back if it worked, if I do it.
    Short update. Somehow the thing fixed itself over night. Next day the microphone worked again. Idk why, but this meant I didn't have to factory reset.

Another 2 points to consider: have you been playing around with flashing Firmware and/or Kernel? This can be affecting hardware access. If so, then consider to flash again newest available that known to work fine for your very specific variant / Android version.

As a last resort a full flash of newest stock ROM (MIUI v12.5.1+) by fastboot + factory reset afterwards can be interesting to do a final test.

Just to remember: voice recording, whatsapp call (VoiP)....this is not processed as same way as a regular phone call (PSTN), the hardware that deals with the voice processing (after mics; DAC) are different. For instance you can skip (and also test) this when putting a regular call by using a bluetooth phone/mic...the bluetooth device will do the voice process this way.

Short update. Somehow the thing fixed itself over night. Next day the microphone worked again. Idk why, but this meant I didn't have to factory reset.