• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

MicroSD speed spec?

Search This thread

Rohaq

Nov 13, 2006
OnePlus 7 Pro
Any idea what speed MicroSD cards the HTC 10 will support? It'd be nice to get a high-spec UHS card to use the expandable storage! Coming from a Galaxy S4 and S2, my last HTC device was an HTC Desire - so I'm not sure what the previous generation of HTC devices supported.

Odifrog13

Apr 14, 2016
I called HTC today to see if they could tell me if the HTC 10 will support UHS-II but after consulting with the build team they still did not understand what I was asking about so hopefully the full specs on the bus type for the memory card reader will be released soon. If anyone knows if HTC 10 supports UHS-II please comment as I am considering buying the new sandisk card or the samsung pro + U3 card depending on what the bus type is.

lost_

Jan 29, 2010
DC
I called HTC today to see if they could tell me if the HTC 10 will support UHS-II but after consulting with the build team they still did not understand what I was asking about so hopefully the full specs on the bus type for the memory card reader will be released soon. If anyone knows if HTC 10 supports UHS-II please comment as I am considering buying the new sandisk card or the samsung pro + U3 card depending on what the bus type is.

If you're getting Samsung Pro+ U3, you don't need UHS-II. Its specs are:
UHS-I / U3 / Class 10
Max. Read Speed: 95 MB/s
Max. Write Speed: 90 MB/s

It's a fast card. I got several 64 GBs when it was on sale for $28. The 128 GB version is available but almost double the price of slower 128GB cards, but still not a bad deal IMO.

Reactions: combatmedic870

Odifrog13

Apr 14, 2016
If you're getting Samsung Pro+ U3, you don't need UHS-II. Its specs are:
UHS-I / U3 / Class 10
Max. Read Speed: 95 MB/s
Max. Write Speed: 90 MB/s

It's a fast card. I got several 64 GBs when it was on sale for $28. The 128 GB version is available but almost double the price of slower 128GB cards, but still not a bad deal IMO.

Thank you for the response. I was going to get a UHS-II CARD if the HTC 10 used that bus. If they stick with the UHS-I then I was going to go with the samsung pro plus. Glad to here you like your card, I have read nothing but positive remarks on the samsung cards.

lagittaja

Jan 3, 2011
Finland
So I was anxiously waiting for HTC's reply about the UHS-I vs UHS-II.
Randomly looked at the SD820 specs five minutes ago. I'm feeling so dumb right now.
https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/820
Storage

UFS 2.0
eMMC 5.1
SD 3.0 (UHS-I)

Well there's our answer.
And since the A9 supported UHS-I U3, the 10 will also support UHS-I U3.
It will NOT "fully" support UHS-II U3 cards, they will work (backwards compatibility) but you will not get the full speed benefit of them!

Maybe we'll get SD 4.0 (UHS-II) with Snapdragon 830 or whatever it will be called..

So which card (in terms of speed) to get for optimal user experience?

I'm going to assume you mean with Adoptable Storage "enabled".

Well, of course an UHS-I U3 card. Sure you can buy and use an UHS-II U3 card but there is no real benefit to that because the 10 fully supports only UHS-I U3. Also UHS-II U3 cards are really expensive..

For user experience, buy the microSD card with the fastest random 4K read and write speed possible.
Why "random 4K"? Because what we do on our devices is inherently random. Opening an app, updating an app, skipping music files and such. Only things that we do on our devices which are sequential in nature would be recording a video, taking a photo, downloading a large file and so on. (or transferring big files PC<>phone)
Sequential read/write speeds with SD cards (or SSD or HDD) are what's advertised most of the time and those speeds are already waaay more than enough so no need to focus on those aspects!
For example phones record 4K video usually at about 40-65Mbit/s which is 5-8.1MB/s. And that's sequential, not random.
That's about the heaviest sequential write operation we do on our phones. Downloading a large OS update could be "heavier" if you have really fast internet speed.​

For random 4K read, I consider 10MB/s or above as really good. 8-9MB/s or below, I personally wouldn't bother.
For random 4K write, at least 1MB/s. 2MB/s is nice and above is excellent. (biggest impact=App install/update, OS update etc)

For speed reference and a reason for the above speed recommendations:
Anandtech's internal NAND random 4K speed tests from Galaxy S7 review part 1.

You can for example google "make model crystaldiskmark" and see the results.
If you don't find CrystalDiskMark results for some specific microSD card
a) don't bother because it's some random card
b) rummage through Newegg or Amazon etc buyer reviews. Occasionally some kind soul will benchmark his/her recent purchase and include the numbers in his/her review.

For example the Sandisk Extreme microSDXC 64GB is really nice
64GB-SanDisk-Extreme-microSDXC_Benchmark_01.png

Kingston UHS-I U3 microSDXC 64GB also looks nice at the first glance but look at the random 4K write speed, that's horrendous! (don't even touch it with a ten foot pole)
Kingston-64GB-CrystalDiskMark.png

Lexar 1800x microSDXC 64GB is one of the best I've ever seen. But it's so expensive (100€'s) ;(
Lexar-1800x-micro-SDXC-testing-2.png

Disclaimer: when you are looking at CrystalDiskMark results for 4K speed, do not look at the QD32 or Q32Tx numbers.
Only look at the 4K speed numbers that don't have the QD32 or Q32Tx text next to them, that's the number we are interested in.
QD stands for Queue Depth. Long story short: Queue Depth means how many read and/or write (I/O) operations are queue'd one after the other.
QD32 is a REALLY high and ridiculous number. You do not see that kind of queue depth with I/O operations on a phone, not on a PC, and heck, most of the time not even in servers either.
The speed number which does not have QD32 or Q32Tx text next to it means that the Queue Depth is 1. Only 1 read or write operation is queue'd. That's the normal kind of QD you see in phones or PC's.

Last edited:

c4llum

Nov 28, 2009
so i ordered the 128gb Sandisk Ultra card... i know it is slightly slower than the Extreme range but I wanted more than 64gb to store all my music etc... will I actually notice any issues running this card rather than one of the faster ones?

Sent from my HTC One using XDA-Developers mobile app

rav101

Dec 1, 2013
Walsall
Google Pixel 6 Pro
so i ordered the 128gb Sandisk Ultra card... i know it is slightly slower than the Extreme range but I wanted more than 64gb to store all my music etc... will I actually notice any issues running this card rather than one of the faster ones?

For music listening I would say no. The difference will be when you want to save large files to and from the card. This is when the differences in speed per second add up over minutes when you are talking about gigabytes of data transfered.

In reality, this shouldn't be a big issue unless you are constantly moving big files. I guess the most relatable for me would be twrp backup to SD card. For a file of that size I would only imagine an extra 30 seconds to 1 minute so its still fine.

Reactions: c4llum

c4llum

Nov 28, 2009
For music listening I would say no. The difference will be when you want to save large files to and from the card. This is when the differences in speed per second add up over minutes when you are talking about gigabytes of data transfered.

In reality, this shouldn't be a big issue unless you are constantly moving big files. I guess the most relatable for me would be twrp backup to SD card. For a file of that size I would only imagine an extra 30 seconds to 1 minute so its still fine.
great thanks for the info. I thought so but best checking. I occasionally download or copy over the odd movie file over wifi from my NAS but happy with the current read/write speeds i get on my m7 internal storage so im sure the htc10 and ultra card combo will be an improvement anyway!

rav101

Dec 1, 2013
Walsall
Google Pixel 6 Pro
great thanks for the info. I thought so but best checking. I occasionally download or copy over the odd movie file over wifi from my NAS but happy with the current read/write speeds i get on my m7 internal storage so im sure the htc10 and ultra card combo will be an improvement anyway!

You will bottleneck in that scenario... But I would imagine it would be the WiFi causing the slow down rather than the card.

It will be most notable when downloading and uploading via a cable. Or saving to the card from the phone (like twrp which is generating data for the card rather than getting it from the USB cable or online).

I don't think you will have anything to worry about here buddy.

Rohaq

Nov 13, 2006
OnePlus 7 Pro

If all you're doing is storing music and pictures on it, you won't see a problem. If you decide to use a slower card as expanded storage though, it's going to be a bottleneck for your applications.

I'm going to be doing some research into the fastest card the phone will support, methinks!

Reactions: c4llum

rubi76

Jul 26, 2009
New York
If all you're doing is storing music and pictures on it, you won't see a problem. If you decide to use a slower card as expanded storage though, it's going to be a bottleneck for your applications.

I'm going to be doing some research into the fastest card the phone will support, methinks!
I am still not sure if it's worth to use it as an expanded storage. I ordered a Samsung extreme pro but I'm undecided about using it externally or not... Anyone has input on this? Any other phones that allow this?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA-Developers mobile app

codeglitch

Nov 7, 2014
I am still not sure if it's worth to use it as an expanded storage. I ordered a Samsung extreme pro but I'm undecided about using it externally or not... Anyone has input on this? Any other phones that allow this?

I think this should be possible on any device that has received marshmallow, I used temporally on my oneplus x with cyanogenmod 13, worked fine but I can't speak about performance, I'm not a smartphone gamer and I don't record in 4k

c4llum

Nov 28, 2009

im going from 32gb total storage in my M7 for apps, games, music, photos, videos etc. to 32gb internal for apps + games and 128gb for everything else.... think il be fine!

and i wont use adoptable storage as il want to occasionally plug microsd into PC to transfer files etc.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I was anxiously waiting for HTC's reply about the UHS-I vs UHS-II.
    Randomly looked at the SD820 specs five minutes ago. I'm feeling so dumb right now.
    https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/820
    Storage

UFS 2.0
    eMMC 5.1
    SD 3.0 (UHS-I)

Well there's our answer.
    And since the A9 supported UHS-I U3, the 10 will also support UHS-I U3.
    It will NOT "fully" support UHS-II U3 cards, they will work (backwards compatibility) but you will not get the full speed benefit of them!

Maybe we'll get SD 4.0 (UHS-II) with Snapdragon 830 or whatever it will be called..

So which card (in terms of speed) to get for optimal user experience?

I'm going to assume you mean with Adoptable Storage "enabled".

Well, of course an UHS-I U3 card. Sure you can buy and use an UHS-II U3 card but there is no real benefit to that because the 10 fully supports only UHS-I U3. Also UHS-II U3 cards are really expensive..

For user experience, buy the microSD card with the fastest random 4K read and write speed possible.
    Why "random 4K"? Because what we do on our devices is inherently random. Opening an app, updating an app, skipping music files and such. Only things that we do on our devices which are sequential in nature would be recording a video, taking a photo, downloading a large file and so on. (or transferring big files PC<>phone)
    Sequential read/write speeds with SD cards (or SSD or HDD) are what's advertised most of the time and those speeds are already waaay more than enough so no need to focus on those aspects!
    For example phones record 4K video usually at about 40-65Mbit/s which is 5-8.1MB/s. And that's sequential, not random.
    That's about the heaviest sequential write operation we do on our phones. Downloading a large OS update could be "heavier" if you have really fast internet speed.​

For random 4K read, I consider 10MB/s or above as really good. 8-9MB/s or below, I personally wouldn't bother.
    For random 4K write, at least 1MB/s. 2MB/s is nice and above is excellent. (biggest impact=App install/update, OS update etc)

For speed reference and a reason for the above speed recommendations:
    Anandtech's internal NAND random 4K speed tests from Galaxy S7 review part 1.

You can for example google "make model crystaldiskmark" and see the results.
    If you don't find CrystalDiskMark results for some specific microSD card
    a) don't bother because it's some random card
    b) rummage through Newegg or Amazon etc buyer reviews. Occasionally some kind soul will benchmark his/her recent purchase and include the numbers in his/her review.

For example the Sandisk Extreme microSDXC 64GB is really nice
    64GB-SanDisk-Extreme-microSDXC_Benchmark_01.png

Kingston UHS-I U3 microSDXC 64GB also looks nice at the first glance but look at the random 4K write speed, that's horrendous! (don't even touch it with a ten foot pole)
    Kingston-64GB-CrystalDiskMark.png

Lexar 1800x microSDXC 64GB is one of the best I've ever seen. But it's so expensive (100€'s) ;(
    Lexar-1800x-micro-SDXC-testing-2.png

Disclaimer: when you are looking at CrystalDiskMark results for 4K speed, do not look at the QD32 or Q32Tx numbers.
    Only look at the 4K speed numbers that don't have the QD32 or Q32Tx text next to them, that's the number we are interested in.
    QD stands for Queue Depth. Long story short: Queue Depth means how many read and/or write (I/O) operations are queue'd one after the other.
    QD32 is a REALLY high and ridiculous number. You do not see that kind of queue depth with I/O operations on a phone, not on a PC, and heck, most of the time not even in servers either.
    The speed number which does not have QD32 or Q32Tx text next to it means that the Queue Depth is 1. Only 1 read or write operation is queue'd. That's the normal kind of QD you see in phones or PC's.

You will bottleneck in that scenario... But I would imagine it would be the WiFi causing the slow down rather than the card.

It will be most notable when downloading and uploading via a cable. Or saving to the card from the phone (like twrp which is generating data for the card rather than getting it from the USB cable or online).

I don't think you will have anything to worry about here buddy.
    Currently, the fastest micro SD card for our phones is the Samsung pro +. It's ever so slightly faster vs the SanDisk extreme pro u3. The uhs2 cards in backwards compatibility testing were actually slower vs these 2 cards. They are the fastest you can buy. I have a Samsung pro + and have no problems playing games I transferred onto it ect... Not all U3 cards are created equal. The 200gb SanDisk sounds like a good deal. But it's slow as a dog. If the card is cheap, you'll probably get what you pay for. I've had 2 cards fail on me in 7 years. Once you have one fail. You'll never buy a cheap one again. SanDisk ultra isn't known for its longevity. They had a rash of failures a year or 2 ago. Think about what you'll have on your phone and how often you personally back up on your pc. If you keep tons of pics and videos and only back up once a year. You may want to spend the extra on a good card like the SanDisk extreme pro u3.
    End rant.

The better 64gb u3 cards:
    Transcend ultimate 633x
    Samsung pro
    Samsung pro +
    SanDisk extreme plus
    SanDisk extreme pro

That's about it. The random read /WRITES on anything else are rather slow. Mostly below 1mbps.

Also note. The largest card you can buy that wont cost more then you phone is 200gb. Period. Anything else is fake. These cards are heavily counterfeited and faked. Only buy from an authorized dealer.

Sent from my SM-G930T using XDA-Developers mobile app
    I guess it supports U3, because A9 does.
    Ok, so I managed to make this card adoptable with the help of Apps2SD application! It is the only one that worked for me. Now I will test for performance
    I have write speed 20 mbyte/s and read 50 mb/s

I wouldn't do it, the warning is there for a reason. Even with the fastest cards performance suffers. I have 90mb/95mb and phone got hotter than normal and all, battery drains faster then and throttles faster