• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Migrating to a new (bigger) SD Card

Search This thread

talhamid

Jun 18, 2010
I know this must sound like a super-noob question, but there's a simple reason for that : it is from one:).

I have run out of space on my 8 GB card so I am thinking of upgrading to a bigger card. Here are my questions:

1) If App2SD+ is there on the ROM, does the phone ask you where to install the app or it goes automagically into EXT partition?

2) I want to make a bigger partition in a bigger card and will do it via ROM Manager. Do I just copy the contents of the older card and paste it onto newer and everything will work fine?

Please answer, my life depends on it.

diggedy

Feb 1, 2009
Durham
I know this must sound like a super-noob question, but there's a simple reason for that : it is from one:).

I have run out of space on my 8 GB card so I am thinking of upgrading to a bigger card. Here are my questions:

1) If App2SD+ is there on the ROM, does the phone ask you where to install the app or it goes automagically into EXT partition?

2) I want to make a bigger partition in a bigger card and will do it via ROM Manager. Do I just copy the contents of the older card and paste it onto newer and everything will work fine?

Please answer, my life depends on it.

I just upgraded from 8 to 16 myself. 1 : automatically, 2: yes that worked for me

best thing is to pre partition the card before putting it in your phone, do a nandroid backup with your old card in, put the new one in and restore, if im not mistaken this deals with the ext partition files and then just copy all the files onto the fat32 partition from your old card

hensk

Aug 11, 2006
Skopje
not worked for me ,I was copy to PC old cadr,have nandroid but I have A2SD+ ext part
& problems ..stock with HTC white logo ,after that I make full wipe/factory reset
& after that instal the LeeDroid rom /put again ROM manager & make ext 3 partition/
after that Titanium backup & Desire functionality was back again

capone5

Aug 29, 2010
Rijeka
hi there i have auraxtsense rom and and i have an old sd card with app2sd i bought a new card for my desire 8gb class6, and my phone stuck on htc logo screen when i put new card inside

philje123

Dec 6, 2006
Paderborn
As said above you must re-partition your new card first!

I have just done this yesterday so this is what I did:

1. Nandroid backup

2. Create EXT partition on new card with G-parted Live

3. Copy contents of old SD card to the new one (just the FAT partition visible in windows etc)

4. Put the new SD card in the phone and boot into recovery

5. Restore nandroid backup (copies all the apps back onto the EXT partition)

6. Reboot!

I can't see how you could have any problems by doing what I did. The phone will not have any problems as all the old files are exactly as they were.

Phil

Reactions: gerryh

sh500

May 19, 2005

1. Nandroid backup

3. Copy contents of old SD card to the new one (just the FAT partition visible in windows etc)

6. Reboot!

I can't see how you could have any problems by doing what I did. The phone will not have any problems as all the old files are exactly as they were.

Phil

So the Nandroid backup is not saved on to the SD Card?

EDIT: Ignore this. Wanted to know if it was on the FAT or ext3. I'm guessing on the FAT so nandroid backups would be included in the transfer.

What is the best tool for copy the entire contents of a memory card? I know Windows is a bit funny, stops the whole process if it finds an error, for example

Last edited:

KotDroid

Jul 28, 2010
One question - can the ext partitions have different sizes when restoring with nandroid?
Example - I have 1 GB ext on old card and now I'd like to have 2 GB?

madd0g

May 8, 2010
One question - can the ext partitions have different sizes when restoring with nandroid?

Don't go larger then 1.5GB on a ext partition. Nandroid restore doesn't mind if the partition size changed, until the restored size is smaller then the new capacity.

Reactions: KotDroid

madd0g

May 8, 2010
You sure can, I just did it today, old ext2 w/ 512MB on 2GB card, now 2GB ext3 on 8GB card. Working just fine :)

I didn't say you can't, I stated that it's not recommended by the community to go more then 1.5GB. It was in all a2sd how-to's I've seen, has to be something about errors with the Market and app installing.

dimeotane

Mar 18, 2010
From what I understand the only advantages to APP2SD+ is that you can plug you can mount your card via USB and use your apps, and widgets can be installed on the SD.
Source
This doesn't seem worth it for all the work reformatting another partition. If your card is upgraded to a bigger size why not use the normal method of installing apps on your SD? Why bother to partition with Ext+ as well?

Nitin985

Jun 30, 2010
I didn't say you can't, I stated that it's not recommended by the community to go more then 1.5GB. It was in all a2sd how-to's I've seen, has to be something about errors with the Market and app installing.

It's actually bigger than 2gb :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. Nandroid backup

6. Reboot!

Phil

Don't go larger then 1.5GB on a ext partition. Nandroid restore doesn't mind if the partition size changed, until the restored size is smaller then the new capacity.

You sure can, I just did it today, old ext2 w/ 512MB on 2GB card, now 2GB ext3 on 8GB card. Working just fine :)