Mike Reid May Have Passed Away

Search This thread

Christopher Price

Jul 24, 2014
console.com.co
Hi all, I was working with Mike Reid on his Android Auto work. I was talking to him up to the day he went to hospital.

Unfortunately, it appears he has passed away. I asked a private investigator to try and contact him - see what hospital is at. We unfortunately found a death record matching his region of Canada.

I'd love to be wrong, but it appears he has passed. The death record matched up to about a week or two after he entered hospital.

My team is continuing his Android Auto work by starting the OpenHU project. We've set up a $10,000 bounty - as Google just broke his app over there with changes to GMS: http://console.com.co/openhu

Saw people asking about this, felt I should share over here on Mike's other projects.

Last edited:

mervluk

Jan 30, 2013
Hi all, I was working with Mike Reid on his Android Auto work. I was talking to him up to the day he went to hospital.

Unfortunately, it appears he has passed away. I asked a private investigator to try and contact him - see what hospital is at. We unfortunately found a death record matching his region of Canada.

I'd love to be wrong, but it appears he has passed. The death record matched up to about a week or two after he entered hospital.

My team is continuing his Android Auto work by starting the OpenHU project. We've set up a $10,000 bounty - as Google just broke his app over there with changes to GMS: http://console.com.co/openhu

Saw people asking about this, felt I should share over here on Mike's other projects.
Terrible news. But thank you so much on behalf of all of us for sharing it.

Mike had a young family, so I hope somehow we can get a donation account set up for them. I don't think any of us really know the dedication and hours Mike put in to his work, a true labour of love for so little reward. He had so much to contribute. It's still my favourite app of all time. Genius.

God bless him and his family. Wherever they may be.

Last edited:

FM_fan

Jul 15, 2016

Upon seeing no reply to my e-mail from Mike I found this group and joined a minute ago. I am from India and got to know about Mike's great works very late.
It is really sad & shocking news to me if it is true. May his soul rest in peace..
Agree with making a contribution to his beloved ones in respect of his great work.

ethanchow

Jul 14, 2015
RIP Mike. I know I'm late, and I didn't know you personally but your effort into SpiritFM has been a huge contribution to the community. Your app was one of the few digital goods I paid for. Thank you for all you have done and RIP. :'(

Reactions: Aerocap and DodoGTA
May 31, 2015
As a radio DXer that loves Android, Mike was my hero! I'm so shocked to hear about his passing. R.I.P. and condolenses to his family! His legacy will live on! :(

Reactions: Aerocap

traversient

May 3, 2015
This is shocking and sad. RIP Mike.

If anyone does manage to get confirmation of this, please update on this thread. I was waiting to hear from Mike about an opportunity I am pursuing, and I came upon this thread.

Reactions: lil-devil

todonormal

Jun 3, 2011
Puerto Rico, Caqueta

Mike had a young family, so I hope somehow we can get a donation account set up for them. I don't think any of us really know the dedication and hours Mike put in to his work, a true labour of love for so little reward. He had so much to contribute. It's still my favourite app of all time. Genius.

:crying::crying::crying::crying:RIP , is he http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/michael-reid-obituary?pid=1000000179632845 ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerocap

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes this is Mike Reid. He passed away April 11 2016 of an agressive lung cancer. He has a now 11 year old girl and 14 year old autistic boy. We discovered that Mike was autistic when his son was diagnosed so. I want to mention that because I want to increase positive awareness of how autistic people are a plus to society.
    His wife

Wow, that's very sad to read.

I stumbled upon this because I just worked on the re-inclusion of Spirit2 into the main F-Droid repo.
    The app still works beautifully on Android 7.1.1 on my Phone (mote e) and will be availbale from here again in a few days f-droid.org/packages/fm.a2d.sf

Wow. I don't know what to say here. I was looking at my old Google Plus account before that gets shut down, and I saw the old beta testing community I was a part of. I figured I'd check back in to see how things were going now. I am shocked to learn of his passing. I remember working with him for weeks to get a few different devices working. We went through build after build trying to make it work sometimes. He was always so focused on getting things working correctly. Mike will be missed. RIP