• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Mini-Guide Adb installation and usage

Search This thread

Benjiro

Sep 27, 2009
How to run ADB on Windows for the MediaPad X2 ( and probably other Huawei devices ) :

* Windows: Download the HiSuite from Huawei ( for the adb drivers )
http://consumer.huawei.com/minisite/HiSuite_en/

* Windows: Download the adb 15 second installer ( and install with admin level )
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

* Smartphone/Tablet: Set your device to USB debug mode
- Go to Setting - About Phone
- Press 7 times on the Build number until you see a message that you have access to the developer options
- Go to Setting - Developer options
- Enable "USB debugging"

* Windows: Run the abd command
- Search for cmd, right click and select "Run as Administrator"
or
- Go to c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe, right click and "Run as Administrator"

* CMD box:Enter the following commands:
- cd c:\adb
- run the command you need.

For instance to change the DPI for your phone / smartphone:
- adb shell wm density 280 ( or whatever number you need. The X2 runs at 400, the Sony Z Ultra runs at 320 ).

Reboot your device after making changes

Reactions: nemesissisemen

elio321

Nov 29, 2010
Can you post some screen shots of the X2 running in 280dpi please ?

What the advantages of changing the dpi ? is it you can get more on the screen ?

Is it possible to change dpi using an app and could it be set on a "per app" basis ?

I don't want to screw up EMUI

Thanks

Mark

Sent from GEM-703L on 3 network in UK using XDA Free app

Benjiro

Sep 27, 2009

What the advantages of changing the dpi ? is it you can get more on the screen ?

Is it possible to change dpi using an app and could it be set on a "per app" basis ?

Thanks

Mark

The dpi changes can always be undone. So you are not going to screw up EMUI.

Here are some pictures that ajsmsg78 posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=62462003&postcount=12

You gain about 60% more content on your screen in Chrome etc... At 400 ( default ) dpi, the X2 its screen content is nothing but a oversized smartphone. With 280dpi, its a tablet with way more usable area.

At first i also doubted if it was worth the effort, because it took me a long time to figure out all the steps. That is why i wrote this manual, so its way more easy for other people. Will it screw up EMUI, yea, for a part:

The new installed program icon's will have a green area. The basic 5x5 will not change size with the new DPI ( because Hauwei is so stupid as to hardcode the grid size around the 400 dpi ). But you can use any other launcher instead of the EMUI launcher. I kind of like Action 3 ( Action launcher 3.5 ) as a replacement.

The few disadvantages are really few, compared to the massive gains you get. The Sony Z Ultra was running in 320dpi and still had chrome in smartphone mode ( no tabs etc ). 280dpi on the Sony's 6.4" was not feasible. But on this 7" X2, 280dpi is the perfect size and it opens up several programs there tabled mode.

Reactions: ajsmsg78

ajsmsg78

Dec 6, 2008
Selden, NY
Huawei MediaPad X2
Huawei Mate 9

Thanks

Mark

Make sure you check these threads daily. A lot of stuff gets posted that you may not have seen and then the same questions get asked over and over again. You could even start a new thread in the Q&A section asking for someone to post pictures of what the phone looks like at 280dpi. You'd probably get a faster response if you did that. It makes it easier to look through each thread if we all keep the topic about what the original post was about. :good:

Last edited:

elio321

Nov 29, 2010
Thanks very comprehensive answer

I want to set my dpi to 280 now but can't without access to my laptop :(

Will have access to computer in a few days and will do it then :)

The X2 has to be connected to the lap top

VillaRegina

Aug 24, 2015
Wow! Something new to think about! I assumed that you saw MORE content on the display because the display is bigger. But now I understand that's not the case. If you do what's on the instructions that Benjiro figured out does that void the warranty?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

t69broken

Aug 7, 2008
Help

So I followed the steps to a T and was able to get my booloader unlocked. But now with the Rooting I can't seem to find my device. It finds it with Fastboot but not adb. I've tried 3 different computers and usb cords with the same results. I just want to root this, any adb advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm getting can't find device.

ajsmsg78

Dec 6, 2008
Selden, NY
Huawei MediaPad X2
Huawei Mate 9
So I followed the steps to a T and was able to get my booloader unlocked. But now with the Rooting I can't seem to find my device. It finds it with Fastboot but not adb. I've tried 3 different computers and usb cords with the same results. I just want to root this, any adb advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm getting can't find device.

I get the same "cannot find device" error but ADB still works. Try the commands and see if they work. Or update your Android Platform tools to the newest version.

Clarice

Jan 4, 2016
Hi!

Thanks for the guide!
Is there a way to fix the navbar disappearing in horizontal mode? When I hold the X2 in landscape mode the Navbar is still there (a black stripe) but the Back/Home/Recent Apps Buttons are missing. :( Tried several DPI settings.

EDIT!
For some reason it works now! The navbar is now on the right side of the screen when in landscape mode! I switched DPI several times one after another (280, 320, 400, 330, 300, 280, 320 something like that) and rebooted and somehow it works (320DPI).

Last edited:

audioralf

Mar 12, 2011
No problem if you change dpi via the kangvip menu
For this install AJ's B211 Rom
ffbfbc176549711e3e46b75928597398.jpg

My device: 701->703 Kang VIP B209

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to run ADB on Windows for the MediaPad X2 ( and probably other Huawei devices ) :

* Windows: Download the HiSuite from Huawei ( for the adb drivers )
    http://consumer.huawei.com/minisite/HiSuite_en/

* Windows: Download the adb 15 second installer ( and install with admin level )
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

* Smartphone/Tablet: Set your device to USB debug mode
    - Go to Setting - About Phone
    - Press 7 times on the Build number until you see a message that you have access to the developer options
    - Go to Setting - Developer options
    - Enable "USB debugging"

* Windows: Run the abd command
    - Search for cmd, right click and select "Run as Administrator"
    or
    - Go to c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe, right click and "Run as Administrator"

* CMD box:Enter the following commands:
    - cd c:\adb
    - run the command you need.

For instance to change the DPI for your phone / smartphone:
    - adb shell wm density 280 ( or whatever number you need. The X2 runs at 400, the Sony Z Ultra runs at 320 ).

Reboot your device after making changes

Thanks

Mark

The dpi changes can always be undone. So you are not going to screw up EMUI.

Here are some pictures that ajsmsg78 posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=62462003&postcount=12

You gain about 60% more content on your screen in Chrome etc... At 400 ( default ) dpi, the X2 its screen content is nothing but a oversized smartphone. With 280dpi, its a tablet with way more usable area.

At first i also doubted if it was worth the effort, because it took me a long time to figure out all the steps. That is why i wrote this manual, so its way more easy for other people. Will it screw up EMUI, yea, for a part:

The new installed program icon's will have a green area. The basic 5x5 will not change size with the new DPI ( because Hauwei is so stupid as to hardcode the grid size around the 400 dpi ). But you can use any other launcher instead of the EMUI launcher. I kind of like Action 3 ( Action launcher 3.5 ) as a replacement.

The few disadvantages are really few, compared to the massive gains you get. The Sony Z Ultra was running in 320dpi and still had chrome in smartphone mode ( no tabs etc ). 280dpi on the Sony's 6.4" was not feasible. But on this 7" X2, 280dpi is the perfect size and it opens up several programs there tabled mode.