Mini M8S TV Box Review - Amlogic S905, 2GB Ram, Android 5.1

Search This thread

[email protected]

Mar 20, 2016
If I flash with "USB_Burning_Tool" the BOX with the "minim8s_rv106L03.img", <- do I lost my settings/apps/Personal Data?

I have installed the TWRP, what should I first backup?
here is the list: (the black one are preselected)
[a] Bootloader
Logo
[c] Recovery
[d] Boot
[e] Instaboot (500MB)
[f] Reserved
[g] RSV
[h] Tee
Crypt
[j] Cache
[k] System (782MB)
[L] Data (27672 MB) ?! <- i work with "link2SD" but why is this so a huge data??

Sorry, I´m a Newbe in Android, hope someone give me advice...

The data is like your internal storage .. apps , games , etc

[email protected]

Mar 20, 2016
hi guys
how can i flash twrp onm the mini m8s?? is there anyone that explain me??
thanks
Find the twrp recovery .IMG file for your exact device by Google searching then rename the file (Recovery) without the quotes putt it on a blank USB then plug the USB into your box get a ear bud and put it in the av hole and press the button inside hold it in for about 10 secs it should boot into twrp recovery then you need to rewrite the recovery.img using twrp ... That's it good luck

darkgoliat

Dec 17, 2016
Hi, has anyone bee able to play games with a ps3 or 360 gamepad? I've tried wired and wireless, even bought the sixaxis app and nothing......
Anyone able to get it to work?

archiijs

Aug 17, 2013
Latvia
I had problems with wired PS2 controller. It seems like some of the buttons was mapped, but others not. Tried lots of apps to map them including Sixaxis but no joy. Games just do not recognize gamepad or some of the buttons.
Then I bought wireless controller IPEGA PG 9021, and it works like it should work without any additional apps, probably other universal controllers should work as well.

Reactions: darkgoliat

darkgoliat

Dec 17, 2016
I had problems with wired PS2 controller. It seems like some of the buttons was mapped, but others not. Tried lots of apps to map them including Sixaxis but no joy. Games just do not recognize gamepad or some of the buttons.
Then I bought wireless controller IPEGA PG 9021, and it works like it should work without any additional apps, probably other universal controllers should work as well.

thx i just looked it up on ebay and they go for 15 quid. I guess its not too bad.
but i still find it strange that my ps3 and 360 controllers work on my unrooted tablet, without me having to install anything and I can't make it happen on a rooted android tv box.....

archiijs

Aug 17, 2013
Latvia
That's just my experience with ps2 controller, I do not own ps3 or 360, so can not help you with that. :)

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

evh5150ni

May 10, 2015
Has anyone any tips on which browser might best handle streaming video? I'm trying to play back content from Pivotshare, for which there is no app. Chrome can't stream the video (HTML5, presumably?) on the M8S without pixellation and sync errors.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

cappuccino kid

Feb 11, 2017
Toronto
after 54 pages (I read all topic), I didn't understand what is correct firmware to resolve the wifi issue.
I tried the firmware 104 and 105 without any improvement, so I decided to connect it directcly to the modem and use in my bedroom an old M8N....

d_santi

Jan 30, 2011
To unbrick
Delete all files from the bootable microsd (do not format) or make a new empty bootable card if you formatted it. Now copy all 3 files from the downloaded zip archive (factory_update_param.aml, recovery.img, OpenELEC-Amlogic.MiniMX.arm64-7.0-devel-20160120113810-r21920-gff430a0-update.zip) to the bootable microsd and boot (plug power) from it with the reset button pressed.
It will quickly install OpenElec and restore bootloader.
After OpenElec starts remove the microsd fom tv box, prepare it again with aml_sdc_burn.ini and aml_upgrade_package.img (with wifi fix) and reboot (plug power) with reset button pressed. Do not release until the flashing bar appears. It works and is tested on a new batch of minim8s that manifested the same problem.

I bricked my device using digital_me's process to flashing the wifi fix. Now i'm trying the method quoted above to recover my bricked device with no luck :( . The devices blue light comes on but thats about it. Recovery mode and non recovery mode, the box doesnt boot up. its bricked bad. Can anyone suggest anything?

[email protected]

Mar 20, 2016
I bricked my device using digital_me's process to flashing the wifi fix. Now i'm trying the method quoted above to recover my bricked device with no luck :( . The devices blue light comes on but thats about it. Recovery mode and non recovery mode, the box doesnt boot up. its bricked bad. Can anyone suggest anything?
What device do you have ?

playgeek

May 5, 2016
Realme 6s
1457943208617726.jpg

Hi, I have the mini m8s the one with an amlogic s905 (v1) and I would like to know how to solve the problem of my wifi, basically I get very bad wifi with this android box when I am in my room then how to do Please? Because it makes the box unusable and I can not use it while I still pay 40 € is not nothing, I try with what they propose on the site freak tab (sorry but I can not put links) and on the Russian site they return then that room I have to use in my android box?

I'm not very good English and I use google translation and I am French

le wifi avec cette android box quand je suis dans ma chambre alors comment faire svp ? car ca rend la box inutilisable et je ne peux pas m'en servir alors que j'ai payer quand même 40€ c'est pas rien, j'ai essayer avec ce qu'ils propose sur le site de freak tab (désole mais je peux pas mettre de liens) et sur le site russe qu'ils renvoie alors qu'elle room je dois utiliser dans mon android box ?

désole pour mon bad english je ne pas pas très bien anglais et j'utilise google traduction et je suis français

Last edited:

cattolicboy

Jun 9, 2015
Hi, I have the mini m8s the one with an amlogic s905 (v1) and I would like to know how to solve the problem of my wifi, basically I get very bad wifi with this android box when I am in my room then how to do Please? Because it makes the box unusable and I can not use it while I still pay 40 € is not nothing, I try with what they propose on the site freak tab (sorry but I can not put links) and on the Russian site they return then that room I have to use in my android box?

I'm not very good English and I use google translation and I am French

le wifi avec cette android box quand je suis dans ma chambre alors comment faire svp ? car ca rend la box inutilisable et je ne peux pas m'en servir alors que j'ai payer quand même 40€ c'est pas rien, j'ai essayer avec ce qu'ils propose sur le site de freak tab (désole mais je peux pas mettre de liens) et sur le site russe qu'ils renvoie alors qu'elle room je dois utiliser dans mon android box ?

désole pour mon bad english je ne pas pas très bien anglais et j'utilise google traduction et je suis français
You need to carefully read this thread, I posted the solution while ago

ag008

Sep 7, 2014
Croatia
anton008.com
Hi, I have stock 106L03 (lmy47v-201604291837), everything works (KODI 17, no problem with wifi etc)
However I can't use HDMI CEC (or to control box with tv remote). With Nexbox A95x I can use my Philips remote to control media player but on Mini M8S (S905) nothing happens and when I try to go to CEC Control in settings it says "This remote device does not support CEC".
Any advice, can you enable it, does it works?

[email protected]

Mar 20, 2016
Hi, I have stock 106L03 (lmy47v-201604291837), everything works (KODI 17, no problem with wifi etc)
However I can't use HDMI CEC (or to control box with tv remote). With Nexbox A95x I can use my Philips remote to control media player but on Mini M8S (S905) nothing happens and when I try to go to CEC Control in settings it says "This remote device does not support CEC".
Any advice, can you enable it, does it works?
Have you tryed a different HDMI cable as some don't work and others do (just a thought)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I unbricked my box again, finally. The nand was all messed up and I used a bootable microsd with aml_autoscript file to scrub it. Then I flashed the full image with Vadiator fix using a bootable microsd prepared with u-boot.bin.sd.bin (868.864 bytes). OTA update then worked and updated the system to 105L03. WiFi flies now like an aeroplane! 46 Mbps download and 46 Mbps upload speed on the Internet and some 10 m away from the router. Thank you again Vadiator! This box is now a real value with your fix!

For those who want to boost the WiFi speed, without the USB cable method with driver problems and transfer errors, here's a faster way to flash the .img files to your box.

NOTE: Although this is an usual Amlogic method for so many boxes, it is not ment for the normal user. If you don't know exactly what a boot, rom, flash, brick, unbrick means, please don't try it or you may render your box unusable. Also there may be different revisions and clones of Mini M8S out in the market using different flash, wifi or other chips so it may not work for all. Also it may void your warranty.

1. Get the attached View attachment 3754515 containing all the needed tools (Amlogic bootcard maker, u-boot.bin.sd.bin 868.864 bytes and aml_sdc_burn.ini file).
    2. Get a clean microsd card and insert it into the reader on your pc. Open Amlogic bootcardmaker.exe, select your card, check yes to partition and format, chose u-boot.bin.sd.bin and click Make. Format your card when prompted. In must end with a Success box.
    Note that you must use u-boot.bin.sd.bin with the size of 868.864 bytes (provided in attached the tools package). Bootloader.img from the Mini M8S OTA archive renamed to u-boot.bin does not boot.
    3. On the prepared microsd card, copy aml_sdc_burn.ini. Rename miniM8S_104L3_Fix_WiFi_SDwrite_by_vadiator.img (https://yadi.sk/d/3JKuyWGoreotx) to aml_upgrade_package.img and copy it on the microsd, too. You must end with 2 files on the card:
    - aml_sdc_burn.ini
    - aml_upgrade_package.img
    4. Insert the microsd in the Mini M8S and power on while holding the reset button pressed with a paperclip or toothpick. When the upgrade will start by showing the green robot and progress bar, release the reset button and don't touch anything until it finishes and restarts.
    5. Now you have a 104L03 system with full wifi speed. Launch OTA and update to 105L03 to have the latest system.
    6. Enjoy!

Note 2:
    If the update finishes successfully, after reboot wait some minutes for the box to finish reinstalling apps (black screen) and start up. Do not unplug or restart immediately, first start takes longer.
    If the box still won't start to Android, try to reflash something else on it like OpenElec to refresh the NAND (delete all files on the bootable microsd and copy OpenELEC-Amlogic.MiniMX.arm64-7.0-devel-20160120113810-r21920-gff430a0-update.zip recovery. img and the proper factory_update_param.aml). Boot from the card, let it finish flashing and after OpenElec starts up, try again to flash the wifi fixed image as described first. The OpenElec image is not fully usable on Mini M8S, I just used it to refresh the NAND.

Note 3: The aml_sdc_burn.ini contains values for the type of flash format, like in the USB Burning Tool:
    0 – Do not erase flash
    1 – Normal erase
    3 – Erase all
    4 – Force erase all
    If you want to change values use Notepad++ or DOS Edit to preserve format, don't edit in Windows Notepad.
    This box is very nice, here are some details:

There is a small hole underneath for the reset button; you can use a toothpick to hold the button while you insert the power. This will give you access to recovery.

Looking at traffic flow I can see it connects to fota4.adups.cn to determine if there is a new update and downloads the updates from: hwfotadown.mayitek.com
    Here is the latest patch as of this writing:
    http://hwfotadown.mayitek.com/ota/r...04011829-LMY47V-2016041117331460428050687.zip

At this time I am unable to find a full firmware IMG file that I could use with the "USB Burning Tool" (The ultimate recovery, if things go bad)
    Just to confirm so that people don't flash the wrong firmware to the wrong box.
    This thread is for the Mini M8S
    MAbUhO4.jpg

Not any of these boxes
    U4GkLIj.jpg

qLoCYly.jpg

V7M4k5W.jpg
    FIX issue with WIFI

Hi from Russia)) :)
    Today build a rom, based on 104L03.
    Fix a trubl with low speed 8273BS wifi chip....
    Modul 8723bs.ko from box MK06 and edit DTB tables in kernel with needly req.
    Now speed wifi >>>>> and work idealy)
    also edit permission for write application on SDcard.

posted in 4pda
    4pda.ru_forum_index.php?showtopic=741134&st=280
    firmware
    h t t p s:__yadi.sk_d_3JKuyWGoreotx

i'nt placed links
    yes, my 1tb drive works fine, don't know what the limit is.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is the rom image download and instructions: http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=741134&st=120#entry49295536

Hi,

Does it connect to an external portable hdd?

It works on my USB 2TB NTFS drive too. I think it should be good up to 4TB.

I am pleasantly surprised to discover that it plays a 32GB blue-ray rip mkv file with MX player very well and in full 7.1 Dolby TrueHD audio thru my Onkyo receiver!

Another link to get the factory image file is: http://chinagadgetsreviews.com/down...lipop-5-1-stock-firmware-mini-m8s-tv-box.html