• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Mini Pro][SK17] Hardware Keyboard FIX

Search This thread

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune
since there is no separate device subforum i am posting this here as the device shares same kernel sources as other Xperia 2011 devices (also the chipset is the same Qualcomm MSM8255) [once the device gets its own sub-forums this will be shifted there]

some of users seem to be facing problems when using firmware of different region on ur Mini Pro, as the keyboard layout is getting changed...

so here is a fix for that...

thanks to easycure1974 for helping out with testing! and D4rKn3sSyS for helping me with identifying files & KB layout codes ;)

thanks to easycure1974 for ur generous donation!

[ requirements ]

• Rooted Xperia Mini Pro
  • Busybox installed
  • working adb or terminal emulator app

[ how to ]

commands to be executed in adb shell or terminal emulator

1. enter in superuser mode
    Code:
    su

2. mount system as RW:
    Code:
    busybox mount -o remount,rw /system

3. take backup of the file [warning ONLY RUN THIS ONCE]
    Code:
    busybox cp /system/usr/keyboard-config/keyprint.xml /system/usr/keyboard-config/keyprint.xml.backup
  4. following is a list of available keyboard layouts:
    Code:
    qwertz
    qwerty-en
    azerty
    qwerty-br
    qwerty-no-dk
    qwerty-se-fi
    latin-on-arabic
    latin-on-arabic-azerty
    latin-on-bopomofo
    latin-on-cyrillic
    latin-on-greek
    latin-on-hebrew
    latin-on-korean
    latin-on-pinyin
    latin-on-thai

now make note of the version u need...

5. now change to ur keyboard region (replace YOURREGIONLANG with the single code from above)
    Code:
    busybox sed -i 's/qwerty-en/YOURREGIONLANG/g' /system/usr/keyboard-config/keyprint.xml
    e.g.: if u want to change the KB layout to Swedish then u need to execute the following:
    busybox sed -i 's/qwerty-en/qwerty-se-fi/g' /system/usr/keyboard-config/keyprint.xml

6. and now reboot!

7. thats it enjoy ur original HW KB layout!

icon8.gif

enjoy!

Last edited:

sxxorp

Jul 10, 2011
London
Oh, you are fast and effective, I'll try as soon as possible:)
As I was more careful and asked this before any modification ;) , where and how can i check which is my original layout exactly (that I can re-set following rooting with your method)?
I'm not sure where my native keyboard layout fits into... :)

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Oh, you are fast and effective, I'll try as soon as possible:)
As I was more careful and asked this before any modification ;) , where and how can i check which is my original layout exactly (that I can re-set following rooting with your method)?
I'm not sure where my native keyboard layout fits into... :)

which region are u/device from?

Reactions: saeedlf

D4rKn3sSyS

Jan 12, 2011
Medellín
thank you very much for the posting! I have just one question:

how can I root it??? Gingerbreak doesnt seem to work ;)

Check this out
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=16620244#post16620244

btw, if you guys tell me what's on ro.product.model, maybe I can mod a little ROM Manager, so you can change Layout with it :)

EDIT: It's higly possible that ro.product.model returns SK17i, so ill ask to Slade for release an version that can also change layout for this device, anyway, if some user with mini pro can tell me what it's on that line, please PM!.

Last edited:

alinus2009

Dec 3, 2009
Hi, I can not get this to work. I have run the scripts exactly as the 1st post says and have also tried to modify it with root explorer. Can anyone help?

Maybe the file permissions for the keyprint.xml file are not set properly.
You must have o:rw, g:r and a:r granted access.

The changes didn't take effect on my mini pro until I applied these grants to the file.

zegoo

Feb 21, 2010
Hi, this is my issue :
I'm french and i've bought xperia mini pro. It was in .335 full french and when i'm using Android Terminal, a "a" give me one, a "z" give me one, a "w" give me one .... my physical AZERTY keyboard is working full.

I unlocked my bootloader, flashed my SK17i with .368, and flashed with DommLord rooted Kernel ... all seemed to be good ... i modified the keyprint.xml file to get my physical keyboard fully working in AZERTY ! It works for all (E-mail, SMS, google search, web, ...) but when i'm using Android Terminal or Better Terminal Emulator, my physical AZERTY keyboard becomes a QWERTY one !!! WHY ???

Please, tell me what to do ?
Is someone has got the azerty.kl file which i should need ? Is there a way for me ?

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Hi, this is my issue :
I'm french and i've bought xperia mini pro. It was in .335 full french and when i'm using Android Terminal, a "a" give me one, a "z" give me one, a "w" give me one .... my physical AZERTY keyboard is working full.

I unlocked my bootloader, flashed my SK17i with .368, and flashed with DommLord rooted Kernel ... all seemed to be good ... i modified the keyprint.xml file to get my physical keyboard fully working in AZERTY ! It works for all (E-mail, SMS, google search, web, ...) but when i'm using Android Terminal or Better Terminal Emulator, my physical AZERTY keyboard becomes a QWERTY one !!! WHY ???

Please, tell me what to do ?
Is someone has got the azerty.kl file which i should need ? Is there a way for me ?

That's app related... check app settings...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

zegoo

Feb 21, 2010
Thanks for your quick answer.
But what you mean about app settings ? There is no choice in Antroid Terminal to choose the keyboard layout ...
I think the problem is in relation with keylayout located in /system/usr/keylayout
In this directory, there is no file named azerty.kl, just a qwerty.kl and others ...
Could you make a try yourself in configuring your SK17i in french for seing the comportment of Android Terminal Emulator ? ...

An idea ?

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Thanks for your quick answer.
But what you mean about app settings ? There is no choice in Antroid Terminal to choose the keyboard layout ...
I think the problem is in relation with keylayout located in /system/usr/keylayout
In this directory, there is no file named azerty.kl, just a qwerty.kl and others ...
Could you make a try yourself in configuring your SK17i in french for seing the comportment of Android Terminal Emulator ? ...

An idea ?

I don't have this device :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    since there is no separate device subforum i am posting this here as the device shares same kernel sources as other Xperia 2011 devices (also the chipset is the same Qualcomm MSM8255) [once the device gets its own sub-forums this will be shifted there]

some of users seem to be facing problems when using firmware of different region on ur Mini Pro, as the keyboard layout is getting changed...

so here is a fix for that...

thanks to easycure1974 for helping out with testing! and D4rKn3sSyS for helping me with identifying files & KB layout codes ;)

thanks to easycure1974 for ur generous donation!

[ requirements ]

• Rooted Xperia Mini Pro
    • Busybox installed
    • working adb or terminal emulator app

[ how to ]

commands to be executed in adb shell or terminal emulator

1. enter in superuser mode
      Code:
      su

2. mount system as RW:
      Code:
      busybox mount -o remount,rw /system

3. take backup of the file [warning ONLY RUN THIS ONCE]
      Code:
      busybox cp /system/usr/keyboard-config/keyprint.xml /system/usr/keyboard-config/keyprint.xml.backup
    4. following is a list of available keyboard layouts:
      Code:
      qwertz
      qwerty-en
      azerty
      qwerty-br
      qwerty-no-dk
      qwerty-se-fi
      latin-on-arabic
      latin-on-arabic-azerty
      latin-on-bopomofo
      latin-on-cyrillic
      latin-on-greek
      latin-on-hebrew
      latin-on-korean
      latin-on-pinyin
      latin-on-thai

now make note of the version u need...

5. now change to ur keyboard region (replace YOURREGIONLANG with the single code from above)
      Code:
      busybox sed -i 's/qwerty-en/YOURREGIONLANG/g' /system/usr/keyboard-config/keyprint.xml
      e.g.: if u want to change the KB layout to Swedish then u need to execute the following:
      busybox sed -i 's/qwerty-en/qwerty-se-fi/g' /system/usr/keyboard-config/keyprint.xml

6. and now reboot!

7. thats it enjoy ur original HW KB layout!

icon8.gif

enjoy!
    What should be used for the Spanish keyboard (sk17i)?
    You can check the images here, for the different keyboard layouts:
    http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/...-pro-and-xperia-mini-pro-keyboards/#more-5361
    If you use FXP CM9, can you choose "QWERTY-Portuguese/Catalan" for "Portuguese/Catalan" and "QWERTY" for "QWERTY".
    i just now found this thread. if it is still needed this rommanager should also work on mini pro (sk17 make sure build.prop holds this device name). goto settings tab and click on change hw keyboard layout.

you will need busybox on your device in order to make it work.
    thank you very much for the posting! I have just one question:

how can I root it??? Gingerbreak doesnt seem to work ;)

Check this out
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=16620244#post16620244

btw, if you guys tell me what's on ro.product.model, maybe I can mod a little ROM Manager, so you can change Layout with it :)

EDIT: It's higly possible that ro.product.model returns SK17i, so ill ask to Slade for release an version that can also change layout for this device, anyway, if some user with mini pro can tell me what it's on that line, please PM!.
    I found myself !

In /system/usr/keylayout, you should find a file named pm8058-keypad.kl

Inside it, you have the relation between number key and letter which will be displayed on screen. I just have changed Q <=> A, W <=> Z for key 16 and 17 and key 30 and 44.
    And it works !
    This is really amazing, I think !