• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Mirror Link on Nexus 6P?

Search This thread

Zetsubou Sensei

Sep 19, 2012
Google Pixel 4 XL
Has anyone been able to get Mirror Link up and running on the 6P? It's not one of the certified products for Mirror Link but there are zips to get the server and apk running.

I would try it but I dont have a compatible car yet, hopefully soon XD

crash822

Sep 11, 2011
Add persist.debug.wfd.enable=1 to the bottom of your build.prop file in the system folder, save, and reboot. Enable miracast in the cast settings in the settings app as well with the 3 dot menu. You'll need root to do it.

I'm using miracast to cast to my appradio

Reactions: J2theMatt
Add persist.debug.wfd.enable=1 to the bottom of your build.prop file in the system folder, save, and reboot. Enable miracast in the cast settings in the settings app as well with the 3 dot menu. You'll need root to do it.

Sorry if this is redundant or off track, but could you please explain further. I added "persist.debug.wfd.enable=1" to build.prop via root explorer text editor and saved. I rebooted the phone then navigated to Settings/Display/Cast, hit the three dot menu and selected "Enable wireless display", nothing appeared. Am I missing something? I'm on 6.0.1, rooted, stock with a 2016 Subaru with Clarion HU.

Last edited:

jejb

Nov 24, 2008
Rogers, AR
I guess it's a zip archive with APK and some other stuff? :D

What exactly are you trying to do? The tweak to the build.prop listed above is all you need to enable Miracast devices on the 6P. And that is the only way to do it, AFAIK. It worked for my phone to cast my phone to my Pioneer NEX stereo.

JoeyXD

Nov 11, 2010
What exactly are you trying to do? The tweak to the build.prop listed above is all you need to enable Miracast devices on the 6P. And that is the only way to do it, AFAIK. It worked for my phone to cast my phone to my Pioneer NEX stereo.

OP is talking about MirrorLink (mirrorlink.com), not Miracast and as far as I know, those two are different things. What i'm trying to do is connect my phone to my car with MirrorLink technology (which is more than just screen casting).

400ixl

Jul 27, 2006
Norwich
OnePlus 6T
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Mirrorlink is something built into the device, either your car has it, or it doesn't. There are no zip files to install. On the phone side you need the appropriate vendor client app installed. It isn't more than screen casting really, it just has a wrapper that controls what the casting apps can and can't do like chromecast. What mirrorlink enabled car stereo do you have JoeyXD?

JoeyXD

Nov 11, 2010
My car does have MirrorLink built-in and it works with other phones (i.e. Galaxy S5). But as OP mentioned in his first post, Nexus 6P is not certified MirrorLink device. So to put it simple, is there any way, to make Nexus 6P work with MirrorLink enabled car "stereos"?

jejb

Nov 24, 2008
Rogers, AR
OP is talking about MirrorLink (mirrorlink.com), not Miracast and as far as I know, those two are different things. What i'm trying to do is connect my phone to my car with MirrorLink technology (which is more than just screen casting).

I was referring to it as how I use it, sorry. My Pioneer NEX stereo has Mirror Link and I connect to it using a Miracast device, Screen Beam Mini2 plugged into the HDMI port. Or at least, that's how I believe it works, using Mirror Link.

And you're right, it can do more than mirroring with the right app. I use App Radio Unchained and have the full functionality of my phone on my NEX. Pretty neat stuff.

Last edited:

400ixl

Jul 27, 2006
Norwich
OnePlus 6T
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I was referring to it as how I use it, sorry. My Pioneer NEX stereo has Mirror Link and I connect to it using a Miracast device, Screen Beam Mini2 plugged into the HDMI port. Or at least, that's how I believe it works, using Mirror Link.

And you're right, it can do more than mirroring with the right app. I use App Radio Unchained and have the full functionality of my phone on my NEX. Pretty neat stuff.

If you are using Miracast into HDMI then you are not using Mirrorlink. That is done over USB. AppRadio Unchained does not support Mirrorlink

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

My car does have MirrorLink built-in and it works with other phones (i.e. Galaxy S5). But as OP mentioned in his first post, Nexus 6P is not certified MirrorLink device. So to put it simple, is there any way, to make Nexus 6P work with MirrorLink enabled car "stereos"?

What car is it? How are you launching it on the S5? Most head units need the phone to have the application also on the phone end to initiate and control the Mirrorlink connectivity.

The 6P is not Miracast certified either, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. Maybe a description of how it does work on other phones for that particular car will help diagnose. Mirrorlink essentially works in a similar way to Chromecast without the need for the internet connection. It still needs a client at the phone end to work.

Reactions: J2theMatt

david6084

Nov 18, 2010
Houston
I have a Screen Beam Mini2 and when my nexus tried to connect to the Screen Beam Mini2 it reboots.. I have enabled the wireless display option...

Rich32G

Aug 3, 2016
Still waiting on some kind of solution here.
Any updates, guys?

Had MirrorLink functioning on my 2016 Toyota Aygo with a Samsung S7. This was my bosses phone, I have a Nexus 5 - Searching, fruitlessly for a solution. But here is how MirrorLink (Not MirrorCast!!!!!) seems to work in my car.

Hit connection button on screen in car
Connect phone
Wait a few seconds until connection made
MirrorLink apps appear on in-car screen. Phone screen goes black with S7.

Note - It doesn't seem to mirror. It uses certified apps. Which is fine, if the phone even works.

I did read that Google deactivated MirrorLink on their Nexus line because it is illegal to have a MirrorLink device forward of the drivers seat in California. This could just be internet speak.

I am dying to use this feature and not replace my phone :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The only other thing I did was turn Wi-Fi on
    Mirrorlink (usb connection) is different to Miracast (WIFI) so are people giving advice on getting Miracast working when the OP asked about Mirrorlink?

If you are using Miracast into HDMI then you are not using Mirrorlink. That is done over USB. AppRadio Unchained does not support Mirrorlink

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

What car is it? How are you launching it on the S5? Most head units need the phone to have the application also on the phone end to initiate and control the Mirrorlink connectivity.

The 6P is not Miracast certified either, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. Maybe a description of how it does work on other phones for that particular car will help diagnose. Mirrorlink essentially works in a similar way to Chromecast without the need for the internet connection. It still needs a client at the phone end to work.