Mirror screen on Android Auto - Disucssion thread

Search This thread

Pedroenf

Jul 2, 2007
www.g6-team.net
Hi guys. Just leave you my experience with AA mirror Plus (and/or just AAMirror), AAPP and Android Auto in a Pixel 2 with Android Q (10). I had Android P (9) working just fine with AAmirror, then updated the phone to Android Q (the first betas) and all continued to work. So one day i decided to do another Android Q update (the latest 01-2020) but forgot to edit the flash.bat and remove the -w flag. So when all set with new update AAmirror plus stopped working!!! No matter what couldn't get it to work (black screen issue). Decided to downgrade to Android 9, install all, update to latest Android 10 not forgetting to edit the flash.bat file and remove the -w flag - voilá!! All working again!

So, if you guys want to have AAmirror working in android 10 just have it working in Android 9 and update to Android 10. Hope it helps.

mustangl3

Jun 18, 2011
Hi guys. Just leave you my experience with AA mirror Plus (and/or just AAMirror), AAPP and Android Auto in a Pixel 2 with Android Q (10). I had Android P (9) working just fine with AAmirror, then updated the phone to Android Q (the first betas) and all continued to work. So one day i decided to do another Android Q update (the latest 01-2020) but forgot to edit the flash.bat and remove the -w flag. So when all set with new update AAmirror plus stopped working!!! No matter what couldn't get it to work (black screen issue). Decided to downgrade to Android 9, install all, update to latest Android 10 not forgetting to edit the flash.bat file and remove the -w flag - voilá!! All working again!

So, if you guys want to have AAmirror working in android 10 just have it working in Android 9 and update to Android 10. Hope it helps.

What is the -w flag and where can it be found?

zikmir

Jan 1, 2012
May be the most stupid question, My S10 has to be rooted? I have the canadian S10 (G973W, Snapdragon) and i read that it is unrootable. I just got the new Mercedes GLB which has a cool screen in it and was hoping to get mirror through android auto. Is there no way i can make this work or have to buy a different phone?

MerijnB

Nov 9, 2008
May be the most stupid question, My S10 has to be rooted? I have the canadian S10 (G973W, Snapdragon) and i read that it is unrootable. I just got the new Mercedes GLB which has a cool screen in it and was hoping to get mirror through android auto. Is there no way i can make this work or have to buy a different phone?

Root is required.

zikmir

Jan 1, 2012
I'm not sure, I currently have an S10e which is routed, but where I have the 'black screen' issue. Before this I had a Sony XZ1c which worked fine for me.

Thanks for the reply. I am wondering is all Pixel phones in Canada have unlocked bootloaders. I can buy a used on for about $200 for just this. As i mentioned all other phones i am already sure would be with locked bootloaders just like my S10 which is snapdragon version.

Note10.1Dude

Dec 17, 2013
California
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 3
Thanks for the reply. I am wondering is all Pixel phones in Canada have unlocked bootloaders. I can buy a used on for about $200 for just this. As i mentioned all other phones i am already sure would be with locked bootloaders just like my S10 which is snapdragon version.

For an unlocked bootloader, you have to make sure you do NOT get a US phone sourced from Verizon. I think otherwise OK. Check the boards for the version of Pixel you are looking for- you can figure from model number what the source was/if bootloader is locked.

zikmir

Jan 1, 2012
For an unlocked bootloader, you have to make sure you do NOT get a US phone sourced from Verizon. I think otherwise OK. Check the boards for the version of Pixel you are looking for- you can figure from model number what the source was/if bootloader is locked.

Thanks, i will go to my local shop and see some used Pixels. I will see if they can help me with the model number and i can figure out where they are from. As i said they are all canadian/usa models so do not know if that will help or not.

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

Not sure it applies for you but I use my old Huawei p8 and hotspot from my main phone. Works great for me and I don't have to worry about voiding warranties, future updates etc.

Sent from my HUAWEI ALP-L29 using XDA Labs

Thanks ill try to check that brand as well.

wbrambley

Thanks, i will go to my local shop and see some used Pixels. I will see if they can help me with the model number and i can figure out where they are from. As i said they are all canadian/usa models so do not know if that will help or not.

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

Thanks ill try to check that brand as well.
Make sure it's already unlocked boot loader tho, Huawei stopped giving them out last year.

Sent from my HUAWEI ALP-L29 using XDA Labs

Note10.1Dude

Dec 17, 2013
California
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 3

IAmScorpionz

Oct 2, 2017
Jakarta
Since my phone is unrootable, i have to buy one that can be? Can you suggest a phone that would be rootable in my country?

Well I'm not sure about that. Have you tried looking for solution in the s10 threads?

I'm using mi right now. So I'm not sure what can I suggest for you.

But I do have samsung galaxy note 3 rooted. But still prefer the AA in the mi. Because my note 3 not working well with nowdays apps.

mine420

Jan 27, 2011
For me if I had a choice I would get a android head unit rather than a android auto head unit. Reason being is ;
1. I don't like online navigation.
2. I prefer osmAnd or maps.me
3. Android head unit could be used without gapps.

Reasons to consider android auto;
1. Better hardware/software/support
2. More OEM like less bugs
3. Better audio or Bluetooth

I prefer my navigation to not require internet and not require accounts I use android auto mirror so I still get osmAnd with android auto but can be buggy at times. There were two times where I got pretty lost because android auto had no internet access and I was on a mountain with the road on the map closed so I had to detour ended up 1.5 hours out of the way because android auto with Google maps is online unless you remember to download sections of the map that it needs. If my trucks head unit didn't have so much stuff tied into it to change things in the truck I would swap it out for an android unit. Still might one day if mirroring stops working.

zikmir

Jan 1, 2012
I cannot change my headunit. It is a new GLB250. So all i can do is buy an android phone that can be routed and install AAStream. Issue is i cannot find any phone that is able to be routed in canada.

stingerid4

Jan 14, 2009
i don't have a device with Android 10 at this time.

This worked so well for me with Android 9, upgraded to android 10 and now this script doesn't work anymore.

Would you be able to help point me in the right direction how to get this to work for android 10?
The error that frida posts is:
Code:
(frida:7771): Frida-CRITICAL **: 17:13:57.709: Unable to locate the Android linker; please file a bug
Aborted

I've been trying to update the "frida" executable, I've seen some conversations on the github for frida that they fixed some issues for android 10. Would that solve this issue?
I'm not sure which version you used for this script. Can we use one of the binaries available at the frida github, or do we need to build one from source?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i'm running 3rd- party apps on AA 3.1.58 + GPS 12.5.29 for 2-3 weeks now. I'll release an unlock apk when i get around, but for now i prefer to wait for google to lose interest and release a new version to see if they block this method as well.
    The unlock will require root.
    Hey, i'm opening this thread since i've noticed that some other threads are used to talk about this.

As i have already mentioned it should be possible to show the screen content via http using my app (https://github.com/nerone-github/WebViewAuto) (or any other webview app to be exact).

Basically we need something which can pass user input (tap) from Car -> Phone, and the Image from Phone -> Car.

Now at least i can confirm that the second - Image Phone -> Car is not a big deal. It even works without root using this wonderful application

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.dvkr.screenstream
    https://github.com/dkrivoruchko/ScreenStream

Now all we need is the input. So anyone got an idea how to do that?

I know that this is basically "against" the Android Auto concept of providing a distraction-free UI. But ultimately this will probably never be an easy thing to do, and probably just used by experienced and hopefully responsible drivers.

screenmirror2hqtf.png
    Could someone share the APK pls
    Don't have access to a build server

Try this.
    How to use Netflix, DAZN or other video app, that block video mirroring, with AA

Install an app like Root Explorer from Play Store
    Install Tasker app from Play Store
    Download attached files and extract to a folder on PC
    Transfer the frida and mirror.js files to the device

Copy frida and mirror.js files on /system/bin directory
    Set 755 permission to frida

Open Tasker App and tap on Tasks tab
    Create new Task, set a name and select Run shell action

Into Command field write this line:

frida -e -s /system/bin/mirror.js -n buildNameApp

For netflix:
    frida -e -s /system/bin/mirror.js -n com.netflix.mediaclient

Select Use Root checkbox and click back arrow to save the task

Tap on Profile tab and add a new Profile
    Set name and choose Application action
    Select the App (in our example Netflix) and tap back arrow
    Tap on the task name created previously

If you did everything correctly when you open the video app, you should be able to see the app with Android Auto.